• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Do you know mandarin originated from the mongol and the Jin.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wat is min nan language? Oh hokkein..the crude n vulger dialect?

i actually think Cantonese sound very rough and ugly, worse than Hokkien... anyway many Cantonese words sound quite similar to Beijing dialect... so you should like Beijing dialect meh...

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
i actually think Cantonese sound very rough and ugly, worse than Hokkien... anyway many Cantonese words sound quite similar to Beijing dialect... so you should like Beijing dialect meh...
The way Cantonese speak scares or irritate others, especially with their habit of dragging the last word out in a loud and impatient manner.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Mongols and the Jurchens had invaded and conquered northern China, influencing their cuisine and language. I won't be surprised if many of the Han Chinese in those regions have the blood/genes of the barbarians. They had raped or forced marriage on many villagers' daughters. :wink:

jw5

Loyal
The way Cantonese speak scares or irritate others, especially with their habit of dragging the last word out in a loud and impatient manner.

Never found this to be the case.
You use crude words in a loud and aggressive manner, they sound bad whether in Hokkien or Cantonese.
Both dialects can be spoken very gently as well, nice if by HK or Taiwanese chiobus..........................

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cantonese swearing is verbal poetry, a joy to listen to.

No Mandarin equivalent can compare. Even Hokkien profanities lose out to Cantonese ones.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
Never found this to be the case.
You use crude words in a loud and aggressive manner, they sound bad whether in Hokkien or Cantonese.
Both dialects can be spoken very gently as well, nice if by HK or Taiwanese chiobus..........................
I'm not talking about crude words, but in daily speech. Whenever I'm in KL or HK I tend to hear the very irritating and impatient last words by many Cantonese, such as mah, lah, leh etc. the speakers are usually not that agitated, but I think it's habitual and part of the canton culture.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Mongols and the Jurchens had invaded and conquered northern China, influencing their cuisine and language. I won't be surprised if many of the Han Chinese in those regions have the blood/genes of the barbarians. They had raped or forced marriage on many villagers' daughters. :wink:
The invasion goes both ways, and so does trade. The influence on language and culture is not a one way street, so you can't say mandarin originates from Manchu, Jin or any single sub race. Rather it is more accurate to say that mandarin is a combination and evolution of several Chinese tribes as they intermix over the centuries of war, trade and migration.

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
I'm not talking about crude words, but in daily speech. Whenever I'm in KL or HK I tend to hear the very irritating and impatient last words by many Cantonese, such as mah, lah, leh etc. the speakers are usually not that agitated, but I think it's habitual and part of the canton culture.

Ok, but I don't share the view that it's irritating or impatient.
Maybe that's just the style of speaking, can't comment too much because neither my cantonese nor hokkien is particularly good.
Find both dialects quite acceptable to the ear in daily speech.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
,,,,,,Cantonese is a minority dialect group, but due to the proximity to open sea and hong kong which became a british colony, the first major group of overseas Chinese migrants consists of many Cantonese. This led to many foreigners and overseas chinese to mistakenly think that Cantonese is representative of china.

Back in Toronto, when a Chinese approaches me and asks whether I speak Chinese, s/he is referring to Canto. I usually say no, and that I speak Fujian (Hokkien) and Chiew Cho (Teochew). Next question s/he will ask is do we teach our child Chinese, to which I answer, my wife is Hainanese, I am Teochew, which one should we teach our child? We all settle for English.

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiyoh, if Mandarin is so useless why did you learn it then? You can live in your own isolated world and speak Min Nan/Cantonese/Vietnamese.

I didn't learn Mandarin. I flunked it at O levels. I live in this world with English. And with that language I communicatge with Thais. Indonesians, Phillipinos, Vietnamese, Koreans, Indians, Middle-Easterners, Africans, and also Europeans, POMs, Ozzies and Yanks. The PRC Chinese I speak to are quite comfortable and you might even say, fluent, in English. If I were to make an effort to learn another language, it will likely be Japanese or French.

Cheers!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the secret of northern sung survivors after invasion by the jin lies in the tulou fortifications in fujian province. the sung refugees were known as "hakka" as surviving units and their families migrated to the south, took refuge in the remote areas of fujian, and built fortified townships and villages. 46 of them are preserved and survived to this day.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I find hokkein to be vulgar and crude because it is,,and u dont understand Cantonese,,u talk what? what the hell do u know about cantonese to say that its worse than hokkein??? Unlike u i am a half breed. I have lived and seen both sides of the equation. Hokkein is crude and vulgar and the people are kia su, kia see, kia bor and kiam sup,,,since singapore is dominated by the hokkeins,,,and with the typical hokkein attitude no wonder we have been dominated by the PAP for so long.

Orion

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cantonese swearing is verbal poetry, a joy to listen to.

No Mandarin equivalent can compare. Even Hokkien profanities lose out to Cantonese ones.

I Teochew, and understands both Hokkien and Cantonese. Hokkien is more crude, cos I sworn in Hokkien rather than Cantonese.

On the question of dragging the last word, I personally can't stand the way people add hokkien to english, which makes it into singlish like la, ho, lor etc.

I wonder which generation are both of you? How come the accounts are so different from me.

jw5

Loyal
the people are kia su, kia see, kia bor and kiam sup,,,since singapore is dominated by the hokkeins,,,and with the typical hokkein attitude no wonder we have been dominated by the PAP for so long.

hahaha, I have no problem with either dialect and enjoy listening to songs in both dialects, but your generalisation above is evidently baseless as well, since you don't see that in Taiwan for example.
The kia su, kia see, kia bor, etc are more an inherited or acquired trait from................ ahem.........than anything to do with hokkiens...........

jw5

Loyal
I Teochew, and understands both Hokkien and Cantonese. Hokkien is more crude, cos I sworn in Hokkien rather than Cantonese.

On the question of dragging the last word, I personally can't stand the way people add hokkien to english, which makes it into singlish like la, ho, lor etc.

I wonder which generation are both of you? How come the accounts are so different from me.

People add hokkien to english is the problem of those speaking the english, and not those speaking the hokkien.

In Taiwan and HK, you see a lot of people adding english to their hokkien and cantonese daily speech as well.

As for generation, they are both younger than you. But it's not a factor at all. :wink:

Orion

Alfrescian
Loyal
I find hokkein to be vulgar and crude because it is,,and u dont understand Cantonese,,u talk what? what the hell do u know about cantonese to say that its worse than hokkein??? Unlike u i am a half breed. I have lived and seen both sides of the equation. Hokkein is crude and vulgar and the people are kia su, kia see, kia bor and kiam sup,,,since singapore is dominated by the hokkeins,,,and with the typical hokkein attitude no wonder we have been dominated by the PAP for so long.

Many of the Hokkiens in this forum are actually very crude. They only think of Hokkiens as the most beautiful language. They can even scold their parents, their grandparents and their ancestors. Don't be so surprised by it. They thought their ancestors are only Hokkiens and nothing else.

It is laudable. But then I can't say they are stupid or uneducated right? My own ancestor also comes from Fujian and is once known as Hokkiens. But then moved to Chaozhou and known as the Teochows.

The Hokkiens are not Hakka. For goodness sake, at least check your genelogy record where your ancestors come from first.

If you don't have a genelogy record, then you may not be a Han Chinese. Full stop. Then no use saying Hokkien if it is superior.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have been watching alot of Cantonese period drama and now such dramas have Chinese subtitles and I realise that Cantonese as spoken properly and in the traditional way, It sounds more 'true' and conveys the message better. Please do not equate Cantonese to those in the movies like 'Young and Dangerous' and other triad crap. But of course the Cantonese in such movies still sound better than Hokkein..

One good period drama to watch is 造王者

[video=youtube;7M4YDy9-Foc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M4YDy9-Foc[/video]

Ok, but I don't share the view that it's irritating or impatient.
Maybe that's just the style of speaking, can't comment too much because neither my cantonese nor hokkien is particularly good.
Find both dialects quite acceptable to the ear in daily speech.

Last edited:

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

i just have to listen to Cantonese to realize that the dialect indeed sound rough and ugly. Cantonese doesn't seem to flow off the tongue as elegantly as say, Beijing dialect.....don't know why but people seem to speak very high pitched Cantonese, making it quite unpleasant to the ears......strange, Cantonese has a set of low pitch tones.....i can't appreciate the Cantonese dialect......

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi Orion,,,I am just trying to differentiate between the hokkein dialect and Cantonese language. But the Hokkein kia in this forum think that hokkein is the bestest language on the planet and superior to Cantonese. Being a half breed,,,I know better than these Hokkein only kias...but just my rants...

Many of the Hokkiens in this forum are actually very crude. They only think of Hokkiens as the most beautiful language. They can even scold their parents, their grandparents and their ancestors. Don't be so surprised by it. They thought their ancestors are only Hokkiens and nothing else.

It is laudable. But then I can't say they are stupid or uneducated right? My own ancestor also comes from Fujian and is once known as Hokkiens. But then moved to Chaozhou and known as the Teochows.

The Hokkiens are not Hakka. For goodness sake, at least check your genelogy record where your ancestors come from first.

If you don't have a genelogy record, then you may not be a Han Chinese. Full stop. Then no use saying Hokkien if it is superior.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cantonese Chauvinism exist in China, linguistically, culturally or politically from the dynasties times till today. the Hokkiens are alright...