• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Did Low Thia Khiang backstab his mentor JBJ? (Revisited)

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
Did Low Thia Khiang backstab his mentor JBJ? (Revisited)

By Richard Tang

Once again the government controlled “local media” is dredging out how Dr Chee Soon Juan staged a coup in the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) to oust Mr Chiam See Tong in 1992 when the latter was the party’s Secretary General.

Since the event took place almost 2 decades ago, enough had been written by Chee and others on the events leading to Chiam’s removal from SDP.

One thing that has emerged from all these exchanges was that almost the entire SDP Central Executive Committee (CEC) was unanimous in taking disciplinary action against Chiam to expel him. This fact has not been disputed by Chiam himself.

Furthermore, it would be simply impossible for a newcomer like Chee who had joined SDP only in that year to engineer the ouster of Chiam. Chee could not have hatched such a scheme without the support of the rest of the SDP leadership.

In all this controversy which is being repeated ad nauseam, one thing that the so-called local media seems to have forgotten or continued to be in denial is the way in which the late J B Jeyaretnam (JBJ) was made to “leave” the Workers’ Party (WP) in 2001.

This bizarre event surrounding the “departure” of JBJ only happened 9 years ago, compared to the so-called feud between Chee and Chiam which is almost 20 years old.

When JBJ announced the formation of his new Reform Party (RP) in 2007, he had a lot of unpleasant things to say about his protégé Low Thia Khiang.

Unlike Chee, Low, an unknown WP member then, was able to get elected as MP for Hougang in 1991 with the tremendous help of relentless campaigning by JBJ who had remained ineligible to contest elections at the time.

JBJ was the leader of WP for 30 years since 1971. What made Low turn against his mentor JBJ in 2000?

I am saying this because the WP as a political party faced the daunting prospect of being wound up after it was found guilty, together with its entire CEC members for defaming some PAP MPs and ministers in an article in its publication the Hammer.

In the event the creditors had gone ahead to demand payment, WP would have gone into receivership and wound-up. Under the law its sole MP Low would have to vacate his seat in parliament, thus losing all the perks and privileges associated with the office.

I’m sure the late JBJ would have explained the circumstances that led to his abrupt departure from WP to his first son, Kenneth Jeyaretnam, who has inherited the mantle of Secretary General of the Reform Party.

It is a well known fact that JBJ was bitter about the way his “ouster” was staged. Any prominent CEC member of WP and even other opposition figures who were closer to JBJ would be more than able to throw some light on this sordid methods.

My question again is: Why are the so-called local media not doing some investigative reporting to enlighten their readers on this controversial issue which is as much or even more important than the Chee vs Chiam saga?

The bitter episode between Low Thia Khiang and JBJ is all the more important because Low as an MP had lot to lose whereas Chee was just a CEC member in 1992 when Chiam left the party.

Why was JBJ eased out from his leadership of WP when in fact the entire CEC and the party was jointly libel for damages that the PAP were seeking.

Why did the PAP only go after JBJ and eventually bankrupted him over the damage issue that involved the party and its entire leadership – including its MP Low Thia Khiang.

Is there any truth to JBJ’s repeated allegation that Low was getting cozy with PAP leaders, in particular Goh Chok Tong, at the members’ lounge in parliament?

No wonder Goh Chok Tong had subsequently endorsed in a public statement that he saw Low Thia Khiang as the opposition figure to eventually replace JBJ in WP and play the role of Chiam See Tong as the harmless opposition leader in parliament who is of no threat to the PAP.

Goh had even said that Chiam is “good” for the PAP because “without him, it would have been more difficult to destroy Chee Soon Juan”.

And yet, the media seems to be avoiding such controversial topics that would certainly boost their declining sales. I for one would buy 20 copies of each newspaper carrying such “juicy” stories.

I hope that the local reporters and journalists would take this write-up of mine seriously and do their respective follow-ups.

JBJ’s bitterness with Low Thia Khiang was amply demonstrated on the day when the former announced the registration of the RP. He had gone on record to expose both Low Thia Khiang and Chiam See Tong as being “approved opposition”.

JBJ had openly said that “if any Singaporean was happy with the system in Singapore at the moment, shouldn’t come to us (RP). Go and see Mr Chiam See Tong or Low Thia Khiang, who are happy with the system.” (Watch the video below)

Before WP’s 50th Anniversary dinner in 2007, Low gave the PAP a “passing grade” in governance, and even called certain opposition leaders “mad dogs”, a remark that was reported by the Straits Times.

No wonder Low Thia Khiang continues to remain an MP, getting a monthly salary of $14,000, plus lifelong pension and maintaining stony silence when asked point-blank by prime minister Lee Hsien Loong whether the Hougang member wanted Wong Kan Seng to resign over the Mas Selamat debacle.

I too wouldn’t mind staying neutered for a $14,000 part-time job and a lifelong pension as an MP.

About the Author:

Richard Tang is a 37 year old Singaporean currently living in Canada. His father was a supporter of JBJ and used to follow him on his election campaign trails back in the 80s. Richard hopes that JBJ’s struggle and sacrifice will not be in vain, and from this article will continue writing on hypocrites in Singapore.

EDITORS’ NOTE:

Please join our Facebook page here and invite your friends

DISCLAIMER:

The views espoused in this article belongs solely to the writer and are not supported or endorsed by The Temasek Review.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
JBJ wasn't "made to leave." He was asked the stay instead, but not as Sec-Gen. anymore. The CEC voted him out as Sec-Gen., not out of the CEC or the party. They saw this an important self-survival and party-survival move as JBJ, being prone to defamation, had already cost them and party quite a lot of money, not only to JBJ himself, and for what politically productive cause? Most agreed that there were not much or none, i.e. wasting his own money and wasting other people's money. To JBJ, he'd rather leave then to take a "demotion." He was entitled to his decision, so were others. JBJ was understandly unhappy for the first few years. However, he had later reconciled with LTK and WP, as shown at the RP inauguration dinner when he accorded the honour of two stage-front tables to WP members.

LTK wasn't an unknown when he first won in 1991. He was JBJ's election agent in 1984 and contested Tiong Bahru GRC in 1988. One of his teammates then was none other then Gopalan Nair. They scored some 42%. LTK then was also Asst. Sec-Gen., 2nd man to JBJ in WP. His "mad dog" remark was taken out of context and some people may be over sensitive. What he actually said was, he'd rather be a watchdog in Parliament than a mad dog. It was just a metaphorical rejoinder.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another joker who is outside the country pretending to know what is happening in SG

This sounds like it was written awhile back when Chee and Chiam's wife had a pretty public "debate" about what really happened during Chiam's exile

1)The entire incident started after Chee himself commented on the incident and Chiam's Wife came out to "correct" him

2)SPH have little history in going around digging dirt on the opposition party. Reason being they are liable to lawsuits(LKY's laws are double edge swords) and they have been successfully sued before.

3)Unlike what the article claim, the local media didn't go around digging up ancient history or focus on Chee/SDP for no reason. This was a public spate and they were reporting on it just like how every other politically themed sites were reporting on it. In fact they probably caught wind of this slower then everyone else(as usual)

And the tone taken by the author seem to be implying that LTK and Chiam are in cahoots with PAP. I seriously doubt that's true. Chiam have consistently maintained that he sees he's role in Parliament as a check and balance to the ruling party which is what he had effectively done, since his SDP days. As for the case of JBJ, it was pretty obvious that the WP was keeping distance so that whatever troubles JBJ himself got into didn't affect the party as a whole. The authoer conveniently forgotten that PAP sued JBJ and not WP!!!

sinren67

Alfrescian
Loyal
LTK did backstab me. He informed me that my article wont be published as it abit confusing n he cited i hv raised too many issues in a single article. But behind my back, he told the cec memers tbat i wrote like CSJ and tried to convince them to disapprove my cadre membership. LTK is a double-faced n well-known in fixing his own members that criticise him. It's a matter of facts.

jixiaolan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I can't understand why would people still want to stir shit after JBJ passed away 2 years ago. What had transpired that i wun know but what i do know is dead man hold no grudges SO pls stop stirring shit.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I can't understand why would people still want to stir shit after JBJ passed away 2 years ago. What had transpired that i wun know but what i do know is dead man hold no grudges SO pls stop stirring shit.

PAP spies starting to work for their year end bonus liao. Election coming!!!!

patrickv

Alfrescian
Loyal
wow pap doggie's new modus operandi :

做贼喊抓贼

贼头贼脑

做贼心虚

恶人先告状

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
LTK did backstab me. He informed me that my article wont be published as it abit confusing n he cited i hv raised too many issues in a single article. But behind my back, he told the cec memers tbat i wrote like CSJ and tried to convince them to disapprove my cadre membership. LTK is a double-faced n well-known in fixing his own members that criticise him. It's a matter of facts.

If you are not in the CEC and yet aware that the CEC wanted to demote you as a cadre, you probably got the news from a CEC member. Then it's funny that you have been misled because no cadres have ever been demoted.

LTK is biased, but far from being double-faced. The two are not only not the same, but opposite although both are negative traits. When he doesn't like you, he shows it to your face. Back stabbers don't show favouritism in your face - they smile at everyone.

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Benjamin Franklin, 1775

-------------------------------------------------------

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

That's not backstabbing. It's just usual political diplomacy. He diplomatically told you that he wasn't in favour of your article. He explained to CEC the harsher reasons why he felt like that.

Yes, he could have told you straight in your face, but everybody has some reservation about diplomacy and courtesy and concern about others' feelings. That certainly doesn't amount to backstabbing.

In fact, the CEC member who told you the story of the proceeding qualifies more as a backstabber. I don't know who's that, so I have no vested interest, just a frank objective opinion from your story.

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
JBJ-High IQ,ave EQ, ,poor leadership-Gone
CST-Ave IQ,ave EQ,poor leadership-Going
CSJ-High IQ,ave EQ,good leadership-going up.
LTK-Ave IQ,high EQ,good leadership-average health
KJ-High IQ,??? for the rest

wahlaneh

Alfrescian
Loyal
wahlaneh...
sounds like Love drama leh.:biggrin:
赖戊己 went for election against his rival 洪水波 sekali 吴秀琴 his wife n 水波's niece 扯后腿 pulled back leg 挖桩脚 dig kaki.:biggrin:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hahaha..CSJ..going up to where?
btw is CSJ still undischarged bankrupt??

Exactly, why are people talking about voting CSJ into Parliament?

The most anyone can vote for is for his proxies, unless he suddenly has a few hundred thousand dollars to discharge himself from bankruptcy. That being a technical possibility, I think we should rate the certainties first.

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
Exactly, why are people talking about voting CSJ into Parliament?

The most anyone can vote for is for his proxies, unless he suddenly has a few hundred thousand dollars to discharge himself from bankruptcy. That being a technical possibility, I think we should rate the certainties first.

And in the process you end up with half baked charlatans like LTK and CST in parliament. Tell me after 20 - 30 years in parliament what have either LTK and CST accomplished? LTK has the gall to tell Sinkies to "tan ku ku" for another 50 years!!! Do Singaporeans really want an opposition that will cower or kneel before the PAP and worse kiss their feet?

If you are satisfied with that, then by all means please vote for LTK and CST and their respective parties. They will continue to play "masak masak" with the PAP.

The PAP views CSJ who just like JBJ as a threat and threw their entire machinery at them. Both these individuals rock the very foundations upon which the PAP is built.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
1) JBJ and Balakrisnan (the author) of the article did put the whole party and the CEC is in jeopardy and liquidation was a possiblity if the PAP decided to do it. It was quite irresponsible of JBJ for allowing the article when its impact was not going to benefit the party anyway.

2) The entire WP CEC was facing financial ruin. JBJ was no longer tenable in the party.

3) What is evident is that Low has been riding on the coat tails of JBJ, Marshall and WP branding aided by significant support from the Teochew community. LTK has little or no profile. He has not made any speech, comment or expressed an opinion that is memorable, mentionable etc. His oratical skills are absent, his ability to make an incisive observation is also not noted.

4) In essence, there are 4 things going for LTK and they are WP and JBJ branding, Teochew support, his organisational skills and Singaporeans seeking an opposition of some sort. In parliament, Steve Chia, Chiam and Sylvia have outperformed him. Even Walter Woon and Kanwaljit Soin who were NMPs have outperformed him. Interestingly, Tan Cheng Bock, Tan Soo Khoon and Wang Kai Yuen were more thorns and irritants to the PAP than LTK.

5) Interetingly JBJ also turned out to be turned out to a dud in parliament and I would like to put it down to old age. He never did any research and was caught out so many times. Wong Kan Seng whose is IQ is suspect much of the time caught JBJ over the price of phone calls. Till today, no one including JBJ can explain where he got the pricing from phone calls from.

6) JBJ's value however to the opposition was immense and frankly priceless. He broke the drought, he showed that the PAP was not invincible, he shattered their whiter than white claims by forcing the PAP to remove the Privy Council as the last avenue of appeal and thereby sullied their hands. He made such an impact on the old man that it was common knowledge that it became personal and the old man hated his guts. I can't think anyone else that got under the old man's skin like JBJ did.

Despite the above, CSJ's move was a clear coup de tat as they were hoping that Chiam would be removed from his MP's position if he was sacked by the party. They assumed that the PAP would move and call a by-election. They guessed wrong.

Politics is never easy and it is never clear. This is the reality and you will find it all over the world. Richard Tang obviously is an idiot. He laments about the press on SDP but he does it for the press when it comes to WP.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
And in the process you end up with half baked charlatans like LTK and CST in parliament. Tell me after 20 - 30 years in parliament what have either LTK and CST accomplished?

I can tell you that a lot less people would have joined the opposition had Chiam not entered politics - including Chee. In the 1980s, WP was the only other prominent party. Barisan might not have merged with WP if SDP was not around, but it would die off anyway. Those in Barisan would not have joined WP to give it an impact in 1988 that lasts till today. LTK might have stayed out of the opposition as well. After JBJ, there would no longer be opposition MPs. Imagine Ling and CSJ joining WP. Ling would surely be fighting with JBJ, ending the fate of the only strong opposition party.

I can tell you that a lot less people would have joined the opposition if Chiam had been around but the WP and LTK had not captured Hougang. Chiam would be the only opposition MP today and imagine how bleak it would look. JBJ would not leave WP but after he dies there would be a vacuum. KJ would not be able to take over WP because Ng Teck Siong's position in WP would be stronger than Ng Teck Siong in RP or anywhere as he had been in WP for a long time. There would be no Sylvia Lim because there is no LTK or WP.

The two have kept the opposition more alive to allow the later entrants like CSJ, KJ, GMS etc. You wished they have been stronger or bolder, but the alternative is nearly non-existent without them.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
4) In essence, there are 4 things going for LTK and they are WP and JBJ branding, Teochew support, his organisational skills and Singaporeans seeking an opposition of some sort.

JBJ was only part of WP's branding. Else, his public resignation, public berating of LTK and forming of a new "split" party would have done considerable damage to LTK and the present WP, but did not. WP itself being around for a long time is identified with many personalities. LTK himself is part of WP's branding.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually there is no comparison between the two when it comes to voters and Singaporeans. CSJ has never received the support of voters while JBJ was the opposite. Lets not kid ourselves and blame everything on the PAP.

CSJ continues to address the foreign NGOs while JBJ always spoke to the people of Singapore. There is a big difference between the two. CSJ initially was a threat but he got himself disqualified while PAP and the Govt moved mountains to convict JBJ including overiding the Privy council and that was a contravention of the law Singapore as it stood then.

CSJ got sued over something that was not even true. No money had been lent at that time. I wonder where got the information from?

The PAP views CSJ who just like JBJ as a threat and threw their entire machinery at them. Both these individuals rock the very foundations upon which the PAP is built.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Q1) Can you recall a single thing that LTK did or say that you can call significant. JBJ has and even Chiam when his party captured 3 seats.

Q2) Do you believe that LTK did better than Steve and Sylvia.
I have no doubt that LTK is a nice guy but Steve Chia and Sylvia did better than LTK in parliament.

JBJ was only part of WP's branding. Else, his public resignation, public berating of LTK and forming of a new "split" party would have done considerable damage to LTK and the present WP, but did not. WP itself being around for a long time is identified with many personalities. LTK himself is part of WP's branding.