• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dengue cases : Aerosol Spray or Mosquito Coil more effective?

Which one is more effective?

• Aerosol Spray

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mosquito Coil

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Was taught tat chup cheng is very crude. On the surface it means mixed blood. But its intent means the women has slept around soo much that she dont know who the father of the child is. So it insults the mother. Not just the kid. I think it more a singkie thing as there is direct transltation to mandarin n cantonese. N its use in mandarin n canto quite common.

Was taught to use chow hay as less crude. But dont know y its related to mixed breed people. Just my 2 cents.

I have not got this figure out, what is the difference in usage between , "chap Cheng" & "Chow Hay" (roughly translated as smelly prawn)..why "smelly prawn" any body? chap Cheng, it is mixed breed...like rojak.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Was taught tat chup cheng is very crude. On the surface it means mixed blood. But its intent means the women has slept around soo much that she dont know who the father of the child is. So it insults the mother. Not just the kid. I think it more a singkie thing as there is direct transltation to mandarin n cantonese. N its use in mandarin n canto quite common.

Was taught to use chow hay as less crude. But dont know y its related to mixed breed people. Just my 2 cents.

I thought 'chow hay" was crude for it was often spoken with a sneer...and sound very close to Cantonese of "chow hi" if you know what I mean. It is usually a derogatory term for Eurasians but sometimes I noticed the older people uses that for other mixed breed too.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: I think the fogging more dangerous than mosquito

Wah lau, today mosquito fogging everywhere because of dengue panic

I think the fogging chemicals more dangerous than mosquito bite

So what if 10,000 people get dengue and two die in a year

When we go NS and go outdoors, get bitten all the time, everyday and everywhere

The two probably are already compromised and the virus was aggravating factor

99.98% of patients recover from dengue, how many will get cancer from the chemicals

Just my view - really choking on this fumes

This was so very long time ago, many of you who did National Slavery will be familiar with the Jetty at Pasar Laba Camp AKA SAFTI. I bet, many had done sentry duty there...during my Reservist days, I 'helped' out in Sentry duty at the Jetty during live firing exercise. The mozzies there are what we call "commando trained", the supplied insect repellant you rub doesn't work, the insect spray, the mosquito coils...I was bitten almost at places where I could not cover & when I went back to work, I had rashes all over, itched all over, I saw the company doctor, who prescribed antihistamines & calamine lotion. I was on 3 days leave, taking the medicine, slept through 2 days....Dengue was not heard of then & Malaria was the danger we know. Only itch & rashes, no fever..the itch was terrible.

That is why I am still puzzle that we live in a largely urbanized environment...how come, there are so many mosquitoes breeding spots in HOMES? Back in the kampung days...every household are mosquitoes breeders, for there are 1001 or more places around the house & in the house breed to them, yet, how many cases of people dying of malaria? & DENGUE. Where did that come from?. Can they be brought here by the 3rd world workers who came here by the ship loads, should we screen them for Dengue etc..maybe they are the breeding clusters.

SleepWithSnake

Alfrescian
Loyal

Number of dengue cases expected to hit 10,000 this weekend

By Tan Qiuyi
POSTED: 15 Jun 2013 10:09 PM

k-shanmugam-on-dengue.jpg

SINGAPORE: The number of dengue cases is expected to hit the 10,000-mark this weekend.

Authorities said the actual count would be updated on Monday.

At last count on Friday, there were 42 new cases, bringing the total to 9,960 so far this year.

For the past week, the number of new cases daily has been consistently above 40.

Preventive efforts have been taken across the island. These include quick temperature scans in schools.

Melissa Yeoh, Modern Montessori International Pre-school's administrator, said: "The benefit is to help us save on paperwork. The data can be installed in the thumb drive. It's easy to send to MSF (Ministry of Social and Family Development) or management."

The pre-school in Bukit Timah is one of over 30 across the island that is using this quick temperature system.

Developed to help pre-schools deal with Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease, it is coming in handy against dengue.

Nurseries in dengue hotspots in the east are also doing their part against the epidemic.

Checking for blocked drains, tipping out standing water, and going through every pot have become a daily routine.

Tan Yeow Seng, manager of SinFlora, said: "Last time, we usually check two to three days per week. Now, every day!"

With growing awareness amongst the public, nurseries said mosquito-repelling plants like lemongrass have literally been flying off the shelves.

But more needs to be done.

Over at Yishun, another dengue hotspot, grassroots leaders are continuing an awareness campaign.

"Several areas have been classified as red areas, so we need to take the situation seriously," said Law and Foreign Affairs Minister K Shanmugam, who is also the MP for Nee Soon GRC.

"Basically we need to push the message. What needs to be done -- get people to be aware. The situation in Yishun needs to be very carefully monitored," he added.

And the effort, Mr Shanmugam said, has to be put in by everyone.

- CNA/al

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
The joke is on those who use mosquito coils. You don't die from dengue but you just raised your chances of getting cancer from taking in those toxic fumes.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We need an official singlish n culture textbook to sort the myth from the fact. Everyone has a different story to tell.

I thought 'chow hay" was crude for it was often spoken with a sneer...and sound very close to Cantonese of "chow hi" if you know what I mean. It is usually a derogatory term for Eurasians but sometimes I noticed the older people uses that for other mixed breed too.

SleepWithSnake

Alfrescian
Loyal

66-year-old becomes 4th person to die from dengue in current epidemic

Published on Jul 08, 2013

dengue1106e.jpg

There has been another dengue death, even as the number of infections took a dive last week. A 66-year-old man has become the fourth person to die of dengue in this year's epidemic. -- ST FILE PHOTO: KUA CHEE SIONG

By Salma Khalik

There has been another dengue death, even as the number of infections took a dive last week. A 66-year-old man has become the fourth person to die of dengue in this year's epidemic.

The latest victim was admitted to Alexandra Hospital on Tuesday last week, after a fall. It was only then that they found he had been suffering from a fever and had rashes for the previous four days.

He tested positive for dengue and was transferred to intensive care. But his condition continued to deteriorate and he died on Monday.

Last week, there were 679 new infections, a big drop from the more than 800 weekly cases seen in the previous four weeks. By 3pm on Sunday, the total number of people who have fallen ill with dengue this year stood at 12,543.