• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dengue cases : Aerosol Spray or Mosquito Coil more effective?

Which one is more effective?

• Aerosol Spray

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mosquito Coil

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

SleepWithSnake

Alfrescian
Loyal

Number of reported dengue cases in 2013 nears 10,000 mark

By Dylan Loh
POSTED: 14 Jun 2013 9:12 PM

mosquito-spray.jpg

A NEA officer using the aerosol spray at a household. (Photo: Dylan Loh)

SINGAPORE: The number of reported dengue cases in Singapore this year is almost hitting the 10,000 mark.

As of 3pm on Friday, 9,960 people have been hit by the disease. 42 new cases were reported on Friday alone. 661 have been reported this week so far.

Dengue seems to be heading west and authorities are inspecting places further afield from the traditional problem areas.

Choa Chu Kang North 5 is one of several “red” zones closely watched by authorities. There are over 50 dengue cases in the area.

Environment officers have visited the neighbourhood in western Singapore to check on the situation.

Officers have been equipped with a new aerosol spray. The spray is supposed to be applied to dark and shady areas, where mosquitoes tend to rest.

The officers also have misting machines, which spray mosquito-killing chemicals to wipe out risks of disease spreading.

Officers use these machines to sweep a bigger area.

Typically, one or two officers will visit a home to check potential breeding sites for Aedes mosquitoes, as well as educate residents on how to keep their homes free from dengue risks.

Since April 2013, the National Environment Agency (NEA) embarked on a drive to bring in more staff.

In preparation for the dengue peak season, NEA boosted its force to 850, with the aim to hire another 300 officers in the next two months through advertisements and recruitment drives.

The agency said it has seen healthy interest at its recruitment drives.

70 candidates were shortlisted at its latest recruitment effort on 12th June.

The agency said the profile of the candidates were diverse in terms of age and experience.

Some candidates have previous experience in the police force, as enforcement officers from other public agencies, and as pest control officers.

NEA said all new officers will be trained before being deployed on the ground.

- CNA/xq

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wow! so good...NEA officers spraying bed rooms...can I request Vivien to come spray for me?? Mosquito coli for keeping the mozzies away..they are very smart not to come near & get killed..the aerosol spray for the pesky ones that is already in & on a mission to bite..

Leoric

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow! so good...NEA officers spraying bed rooms...can I request Vivien to come spray for me?? Mosquito coli for keeping the mozzies away..they are very smart not to come near & get killed..the aerosol spray for the pesky ones that is already in & on a mission to bite..

Kekeke... u wait long long fir him to cum:biggrin:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
science questions. is it true that those who live 10 floors or higher do not have to worry about mosquitoes? do they give up after 9 floors or are they stupid for not taking the lift? :p

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Worse is yet to come in dengue epidemic

When are sinkees going to panic?

Where to find the enterprising Ah Tiongs going to sell their cure-dengue medication to the Ah So and Ah Pek?

Friday, Jun 14, 2013
The New Paper
By Judith Tan, Foo Jie Ying

SINGAPORE - Singapore has "reached a critical juncture" in the progress of the current dengue epidemic.

Environment and Water Resources Minister Vivian Balakrishnan said the situation has worsened, with a record 820 cases hit last week - "the highest ever recorded in Singapore's history".

"This surpasses even the peak that occurred during the previous big epidemic in 2007," Dr Balakrishnan added.

He said the prediction for this week, ending June 15, would be 960 cases.

Two Singaporeans have died due to dengue in the past three weeks.

The first victim, Mr Ang Yong Han, 20, died on May 29, while the second, an unnamed 60-year-old man, died on Sunday.

Dr Balakrishnan said his ministry's assessment is that the dengue numbers are "going to continue to increase for the time being".

Giving an update on Singapore's latest dengue situation and its control measures at a media conference yesterday, Dr Balakrishnan attributed the worsening situation to four factors - the mosquito, virus, human immunity and weather.

He said although the current epidemic is still predominantly in the east, the Aedes Aegypti is also "well-established in the western part of Singapore".

"In a sense, you have a situation that's prime to unwind itself," he said.

Researchers also found that the current Dengue serotype 1 possesses very high potential for replication, rendering it as having higher epidemic potential.

Also in the past six to seven years, the prevailing Dengue strain here was Dengue serotype 2.

Said Dr Balakrishnan said: "Most of us do not have immunity against Dengue serotype 1, so in the face of an emerging onslaught, we have a population that is vulnerable."

Coupled with the hot and wet weather, which helps accelerate the life cycle of the mosquito and create conducive conditions for it to breed, there is a need for everyone to be vigilant.

Dr Balakrishnan said: "Six weeks ago, I said I was worried that the number was going to go past a thousand. Unfortunately, I might be right."

WEEKLY DENGUE CASES

820 June 2-8 (highest recorded in S'pore so far)

960 June 9-15 (projected)

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What Vivian?

Chup cheng lah!

I have not got this figure out, what is the difference in usage between , "chap Cheng" & "Chow Hay" (roughly translated as smelly prawn)..why "smelly prawn" any body? chap Cheng, it is mixed breed...like rojak.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
science questions. is it true that those who live 10 floors or higher do not have to worry about mosquitoes? do they give up after 9 floors or are they stupid for not taking the lift? :p

I have seen mosquitoes, cockroaches, traveling up the lifts...& centipede can be found high up too.. The vermin follow people, remember people moving in & out, they have storage boxes etc...the mozzies etc hide in them..

It is human beings that self inflict themselves by helping the mosquitoes to travel around..ha ha ha, that goes for the cockroaches, lizards, mice, & even rats, bed bugs ( especially the ah nehs) lice, woodworms, termites & any other we have not seen or heard of yet!.

cunnilaubu

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Since April 2013, the National Environment Agency (NEA) embarked on a drive to bring in more staff.

In preparation for the dengue peak season, NEA boosted its force to 850, with the aim to hire another 300 officers in the next two months through advertisements and recruitment drives.

The agency said it has seen healthy interest at its recruitment drives.

70 candidates were shortlisted at its latest recruitment effort on 12th June.

What are they gonna do with these extra staff when the dengue problem is gone?

Romagnum

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the fogging more dangerous than mosquito

Wah lau, today mosquito fogging everywhere because of dengue panic

I think the fogging chemicals more dangerous than mosquito bite

So what if 10,000 people get dengue and two die in a year

When we go NS and go outdoors, get bitten all the time, everyday and everywhere

The two probably are already compromised and the virus was aggravating factor

99.98% of patients recover from dengue, how many will get cancer from the chemicals

Just my view - really choking on this fumes