• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Degree, work in stat board, MSO(3) good?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
1) Its a diploma scale and switching to a degree scale is very rare.
2) Take it while you look for something better.
3) You are likely to learn quite a lot in a statutory board/ govt service. It will help you devlop.

Dear all,

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Maybe I'll describe abit about myself.

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear all,

My friends have told me that I"m frank, good in listening, encouraging, being there as a good friend in company, etc; but not very good when it comes to sales because I always feel that i'm 'cheating' on them if I'm going to sell them something (or ask them to invest something) when I MYSELF DON'T BUY/INVEST IN!

I know i'm not good with office politics.

One of my previous bosses is this farker who is obviously autistic. It is my farking luck to end up working for him.

Dun know how to take care of people by buying them lunch/dinner when they come back on weekends or holidays to rush reports.

Dun know how to say "well done" when things get done.

Say people "dun deserve it" when they asked for pay increments.

In the end, everyone left and the company collapsed.

So is it a good thing that he is frank and dun know how to "curry favour".

A lot of pple confused being nice with office politics. If someone says the air conditioning is not all right, what is wrong with checking? Will it kill you? Maybe the person is not feeling well.

Anyway, your MSO job is just nice for a person of your calibre.

Cheers!

willieregister

Alfrescian
Loyal
if work in stat board, need to work in RC?

Just now some one mentioned that I should check the aircon 'in case my manager is sick'. I did that the first few times already.

Btw, I may be abit frank, but I know the different between 'frank' and 'rude'. I won't go around saying: are you pregnant or are you fat?

I got friends who told me that in order to perform in stat board, I may need to join RC as member, etc. Then get to know the MPs, grassroot leaders, and network.

Do I really need to do that? I was given the impression that if I enroll in a RC, my status in stat board will increase. Really?

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: if work in stat board, need to work in RC?

Do I really need to do that? I was given the impression that if I enroll in a RC, my status in stat board will increase. Really?

There is a lot of opinion for you here. But if you keep this going, you will be bury by it. :rolleyes:

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal

Just now some one mentioned that I should check the aircon 'in case my manager is sick'. I did that the first few times already.

Btw, I may be abit frank, but I know the different between 'frank' and 'rude'. I won't go around saying: are you pregnant or are you fat?

I got friends who told me that in order to perform in stat board, I may need to join RC as member, etc. Then get to know the MPs, grassroot leaders, and network.

Based on your writings and thoughts exposed in this thread. You will die in a RC environment in two seconds. If you cannot survive office polictiking, how can you thrive in RC dog hole? Not that joining a RC will get you any brownie points.

willieregister

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Pleaae watch your spelling [ use spell check ]

I suggest that you may wish to consider reading the following, amongst others:
How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie (I believe);
Get Smarter, Life and Business Lessons by Seymour Schulich , ISBN-13: 978-1-55470-15-5, ISBN-10: 1-55470-115-5

QUOTE]

Thanks Charlie9. I will look out for these books in Times. And I appreciate the effort of listing these books down (you even got the serial numbers).

Last edited:

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal

I suggest that you may wish to consider reading the following, amongst others:
How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie (I believe);
Get Smarter, Life and Business Lessons by Seymour Schulich , ISBN-13: 978-1-55470-15-5, ISBN-10: 1-55470-115-5

QUOTE]

Thanks Charlie9. I will look out for these books in Times. And I appreciate the effort of listing these books down (you even got the serial numbers).

dun try to be someone else if you are not comfortable with it.

you feel lousy everyday...:biggrin:

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal

if you are not turned off by me yet, I would suggest you just take the job and not worry too much about prospects. times are bad now, just grab something first.

seriously a MSO position is "no future" one in a stats board but then, what type of future do you want?

you wan to be ministar? Stats board CEO? director? dept head?

if you are as down to earth and chinchye about worklife, then MSO is not bad cos you are not seen as a threat to others (cos you dun have future mah). so why not give it a try?

Airlib

Alfrescian
Loyal
At this current time, I would suggest, just take up the offer, learn and clocked work experience, then move on when opportunity or things pick up.
Actually in civil service, its a good place to learn about office politics, such things will be useful in regardless where you go in the future.
As for promotion, paper is one thing lah.. Performance yes.. is looked at but knowing how to suck up to the boss is perhaps the most essential requirement. Play the games right and things will work out right for you. If not just be a humble, low profile guy and move out when the time is right.

willieregister

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yah, I just had an hour talk with the HR over the phone and he asked me to consider for another day.

He was telling me that the stat board develops people and will always send me for courses, etc. And the bonus is minimum 1.5 months for the whole year (13 mth and 0.5 performance bonus), if there's no AVC or something like that.

Actually, my question to him was: is my degree not accepted as a local Uni? Then how come MSO and not MXO? However, don't know what he said lah, but come to think of it now, he didn't actually answer my question. I think something like: I will be given opportunities to move/trf to positions which are relevant to my skills, etc.... and how the stat board is growing, etc.

He did tell me the increment is like 3-4% per year, based on performance merit. He also mentioned that designation is not impt because in the event that I'm promoted, I will be promoted to MSO(4) which is a division 1 plan.

He also said the stat boards value people and normally they will employ back the persons if they are good performance, even if they are way past 62 years old: show that people are valuable.

I think he's HR talking lah. But nevertheless, still good info to me.

And no, I'm not put off by you. You said things which are true and I would prefer you speak things frankly than to sugar coat it. This is something I would contribute to a good attribute.

VeryWise

Alfrescian
Loyal
May I just add. Our GOV agencies and organisations are very similar to the old Chinese Imprerial Exam 科举 system. Once you are the top few candidates Zhuangyuan (狀元), Bangyan (榜眼), Tanhua (探花), your career will be smooth and high-flying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_examination

In summary, if you are not in the elite, it's practically impossible to excel in the sector. Of cos, there are exceptions but they are far and few between. It shan't discourage you to crave out a career though. If you work hard, you should still able to learn something and do the nation good. Bottomline, it's better to secure a job now, beef up the CV a little, upgrade again and look out for green pastures whenever possible.

well, as long as u dun graduate from NUS,NTU,SMU, not a PSC, SAF, any scholars. Even how gd you are also like that. I was once like that full of aspirations then was told as long as you are not elite you are fucked. Once you step in, wait long long for promotions and other fringe. They will only promote when the above have all been promoted. Don't hope too much. Once you are not scholars, those clerical staff who worked at least 2 3 decades also look down on you. Even you outperform the scholars despite they fucked up, as long as they dun fucked big time, they will still be your head. Last time, one of my ex colleague from Michigan Uni, so what, he is still MXO or MSO depsite he could write great report. Most of all, your dept director must also be on the upside, or the fav of the Perm Sec, if not also fucked big time.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

... He was telling me that the stat board develops people and will always send me for courses, etc. ...
ya ...

got ppl bcum ceo (course evaluation officer, hor!) over there ... dey attend a no n den dey left ... all wifin 1 yr ...

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yah, I just had an hour talk with the HR over the phone and he asked me to consider for another day.

He was telling me that the stat board develops people and will always send me for courses, etc. And the bonus is minimum 1.5 months for the whole year (13 mth and 0.5 performance bonus), if there's no AVC or something like that.

Actually, my question to him was: is my degree not accepted as a local Uni? Then how come MSO and not MXO? However, don't know what he said lah, but come to think of it now, he didn't actually answer my question. I think something like: I will be given opportunities to move/trf to positions which are relevant to my skills, etc.... and how the stat board is growing, etc.

He did tell me the increment is like 3-4% per year, based on performance merit. He also mentioned that designation is not impt because in the event that I'm promoted, I will be promoted to MSO(4) which is a division 1 plan.

He also said the stat boards value people and normally they will employ back the persons if they are good performance, even if they are way past 62 years old: show that people are valuable.

I think he's HR talking lah. But nevertheless, still good info to me.

And no, I'm not put off by you. You said things which are true and I would prefer you speak things frankly than to sugar coat it. This is something I would contribute to a good attribute.

Dude, you are quite lucky the HR took time to explain all this to you... one hour probably meant it ate into his tea time as well. In the service people go to great troubles to avoid sticking their head out to make a decision or say something accountable.

The civil service ramps up recruitment whenever it's downturn. It's the gahmen's way of absorbing the economy's fall.

Some of my cohort started off at the civil service, hated it, and left as soon as the economy recovered. One friend stayed and still hates his job, but grew comfortable and he's contented with what he's got. So it's different strokes for different folks.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sorry to be blunt but the fact that you are 32, the postings that you made and the fact that you had a 1hr conversation with HR tells me that you are "high maintenance". Its a term for an employee where HR, the boss and colleagues spend more time handling your issues for you than you getting the work done.

Be decisive and get into work real quick.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Sorry to be blunt but the fact that you are 32, the postings that you made and the fact that you had a 1hr conversation with HR tells me that you are "high maintenance". Its a term for an employee where HR, the boss and colleagues spend more time handling your issues for you than you getting the work done.

Be decisive and get into work real quick.

Or you can call that on the verge of being a liability for the company.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Yes of course, if you want a promotion, you need to ball lick. That is how sinkie behavior and sinkieland has the perfect environment and facility for that.

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes of course, if you want a promotion, you need to ball lick. That is how sinkie behavior and sinkieland has the perfect environment and facility for that.

this is outdated thinking from ex Singaporeans. Pple has moved on and even primary school children know the merits of preparing powerpoint slides. Surely a simple verbal presentation will do? Why do we need to dress it all up in a powerpoint presentation?

Reason is our colleagues, our supervisors are all our customers. We are doing our job to make EVERYONE happy, as much as we can. To not do certain things cos it is "ball licking" shows that one is outdated and does not understand customer service.

On one hand, complain about low customer service and on the other hand, not able to understand what is service.

ashjaw

Alfrescian
Loyal
At 32, you should have worked a couple of years, heard and read enough to know that to excel in public sector, you must be among the top - in terms of paper qualifications (or maybe related to somebody :biggrin:). If your plan is just to take pay home everyday and do the same job, maybe it's good for you too. Just go to any govt run office - like HDB/CPF etc and take a look at those staff sitting behind the front line, see what they do. Is that what you want?

I would think that if there is no other choice, why not just take it up and be on the look out for something else if this is not your cup of tea since there aren't many choices for you in this economy right now. Take the opportunity to do some further training/study - a good thing to do in civil service.

IF you really sucked at office politics, which I think it's a survival skill, maybe you can explore teaching as there are no politics dealing with children/teenagers - only with peers and colleagues. Just don't anyhow teach :smile:.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal

CB Kia tonychat,

pls stop telling ppl what you do for a living:oIo::oIo: