• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Cultural Revolution was wrong and it will never be allowed to recur: People’s Daily

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Cultural Revolution was wrong and it will never be allowed to recur: People’s Dai

The reason why PRC folks don't want to talk about it is that they are totally confused to what had happened. None of their text books or books in their libraries carry any decent account. The ones who have read foreign accounts either thru books or thru the internet cannot reconcile with what they heard or know. They can describe events such as purges, deaths or relatives forced into the countryside but have no idea of the big picture and so they avoid the subject with foreigners. When it comes to the GLF, it even worse. They don't even know that it is much much worse than the Cultural Revolution and understandably the Communist Party is not going to be honest about their "great failure and suffering"

Yes the Great Leap Forward is often confused with the Cultural Revolution by sinkie chinks. Just like they think the Yellow River and Yangtze are refering to the same river.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Cultural Revolution was wrong and it will never be allowed to recur: People’s Dai

The Shanghainese were the core of the capitalist elite and paid a heavy toll. No doubt about that. Agree on the intellectuals and artistes. The vast majority of PRC folks still revere Mao and Zhou Englai as these are the only symbols of hope compared to the corrupt Chinese bureaucrats that China was notorious for before he arrival of the Communist. Prior to that it was the Manchus and certainly no affinity for them.

True. But the shanghainese (and the country's more affluent today) would regard the CR as a bigger crime. It killed off the more talented people in the people's republic - including artists and intellectuals. They blame the CR for setting the country back by 20 years.

The country side folks (aka peasants) would tend to take a different view of the CR because it allowed the rest of the country to be as fucked up as them.

Mainlanders' opinions of Mao (and Communism) differ according to demographics

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal

True. But the shanghainese (and the country's more affluent today) would regard the CR as a bigger crime. It killed off the more talented people in the people's republic - including artists and intellectuals. They blame the CR for setting the country back by 20 years.

The country side folks (aka peasants) would tend to take a different view of the CR because it allowed the rest of the country to be as fucked up as them.

Mainlanders' opinions of Mao (and Communism) differ according to demographics

What about Operation Cold Storage? Do you think the do-gooders have ulterior motives and should be detained and beaten up like dogs? :confused:

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal

cultural revolution did get rid of Westerners influencing Chinese and Westerners still refused to stop opium trade in China.

If there is no one man to change China upside down Chinese language and cultural will be wiped out replaced by the evil Pommies potatoes cultural.

杀鸡敬猴 kill a chicken to scare the fucking monkeys (westerners) out of China.

Cultural revolution is the most stupidest things a civilization with 5,000 years of history Chinese has done.

It's a systemic destruction of minds soul and body. Worse than killing off someone. At least they can still keep their minds and soul.

Jiang qing one hell of a mental case. You married a stoopid woman your country is basically fucked up.

Can you see the parallels?

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

cultural revolution did get rid of Westerners influencing Chinese and Westerners still refused to stop opium trade in China.

If there is no one man to change China upside down Chinese language and cultural will be wiped out replaced by the evil Pommies potatoes cultural.

杀鸡敬猴 kill a chicken to scare the fucking monkeys (westerners) out of China.

You're obviously confused between the cultural revolution and the yellow turban rebellion

Just shut the fuck up

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal

China was semi-colonized after the 2nd opium war. 2nd opium war was Westerners 'war of humiliation' on the Chinese. To forced Chinese to open up China to trade opium openly in China?

Would you accept unequal treaties and bullied by white trash? Don't read Cultural revolution written by any Westerners nor any books on China written by Westerners. These Westerners bastard never want to admit their criminal crime against humanity attacked Asia and the Majority Chinese, the war lords.

you shut the fucked up know nothing of Chinese history.

just shut the fuck up

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal

PRC's mass media propaganda machinery is second to none, even much more potent than Singapore's.

I have the impression that the majority of the PRC citizens still hold their Chairman Mao in high regard, if not worship him as a demigod of sorts.

Mao is a cult personalty and hailed as the "Father of Modern China".

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal

You're obviously confused between the cultural revolution and the yellow turban rebellion

Just shut the fuck up

Now you confused the Boxer rebellion with another chink rebellion that brought the Han dynasty to its knees.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes. Mao is their God on Earth! I was visiting Beijing a decade ago when China was modernising very quickly, and there was a large portrait poster of Mao hung outside some huge building's gate, and below that portrait was a showroom Cadillac on display!!! I think the local GM agents must've have felt that Mao would approve of the icon of American capitalism from that sales showpiece arrangement!! Mao must have been rolling in his grave at that thought!!!

Cheers!

PRC's mass media propaganda machinery is second to none, even much more potent than Singapore's.

I have the impression that the majority of the PRC citizens still hold their Chairman Mao in high regard, if not worship him as a demigod of sorts.

Mao is a cult personalty and hailed as the "Father of Modern China".

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

In the late 90s. Mao decorated businesses were showing up all. We had a restaurant in Clarke Quay that had the Maoist theme. I think he became many thing to many people and even a joke or a figure of ridicule.

Yes. Mao is their God on Earth! I was visiting Beijing a decade ago when China was modernising very quickly, and there was a large portrait poster of Mao hung outside some huge building's gate, and below that portrait was a showroom Cadillac on display!!! I think the local GM agents must've have felt that Mao would approve of the icon of American capitalism from that sales showpiece arrangement!! Mao must have been rolling in his grave at that thought!!!

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal

In the 70s, I was a primary school kid, and I had an uncle who worked on board a ship. His ship sailed between China and Africa, and when he came home to Singapore, he had lots of things to tell us about his voyages. Once, he brought home a copy of Mao's Red Book and gave it to me. My mom got angry at him, fearing I would bring the copy of the Red Book to school and get us all into trouble if discovered. Then I overheard a quarrel among the older folks at home about Mao, some saying he's the greatest, while others scoffed at him, and communism. Our family (and society) then were paranoid of those with political inclinations, and communism was a no-no in our home. Nevertheless, I hung up a poster of Che Guevara, not because of support for his ideas, but because he looked cool with long hair and a beret!!! Today, I see T-shirts of Che sold openly in Bugis Street! Nobody gives a fuck about ideology anymore, its all about making money now.

Cheers!

In the late 90s. Mao decorated businesses were showing up all. We had a restaurant in Clarke Quay that had the Maoist theme. I think he became many thing to many people and even a joke or a figure of ridicule.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

... Today, I see T-shirts of Che sold openly in Bugis Street! Nobody gives a fuck about ideology anymore, its all about making money now.

Former commie iconologies are now cool collectors' items and no longer have any political relevance in the post 90s. Cool kids regard Che as the embodiment of defiance. Stalin represents old school intellectualism.

Ironically Mao represents new capitalism and prosperity (I once joked with a table of mainland clients that "everyone loves the Chairman" while holding an RMB note:
20150811033200887.jpg

... I killed that day.)

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

it is said during the last years of Mao Zedong, he told his close aides many times that he did 3 great things in his life. 1 - defeating Chiang Kai Shek. 2 - Great Leap Forward. 3 - Culture Revolution. it's intriguing that he never mentioned at all about the Communists fighting the Japanese invasion as one of his great things. after all they claimed that they were the main fighting force against the largest and most destructive foreign invasion of China in history.
without Mao Zedong, there is no New China, that's why majority of Mainland Chinese still hold their founding father in high esteem till today.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Connections to the party is the best way to economic success. CCCP should change its word to stand for Central Capitalist Party instead of Central Commie Party!! The revolution is a failure, the income/wealth gap is far greater among PRC's citizens than it ever was under the KMT. And probably under dymastic rule as well!!

Cheers!

Former commie iconologies are now cool collectors' items and no longer have any political relevance in the post 90s. Cool kids regard Che as the embodiment of defiance. Stalin represents old school intellectualism..........

Last edited:

Devil Within

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Connections to the party is the best way to economic success. CCCP should change its word to stand for Central Capitalist Party instead of Central Commie Party!! The revolution is a failure, the income/wealth gap is far greater among PRC's citizens than it ever was under the KMT. And probably under dymastic rule as well!!

Cheers!

China is not true capitalist. It is more like a mafia country than capitalist or communist. Mafia as in run by god father and killing off his rival and taking care of his own people and exploit the masses.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

China is not true capitalist. It is more like a mafia country than capitalist or communist. Mafia as in run by god father and killing off his rival and taking care of his own people and exploit the masses.

CHina is indeed very capitalist.. just not free market capitalist

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

The only thing wrong about the Cultural Revolution is that it did not wipe out the whole population.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bro, its in our DNA to be capitalist. Put 10 Chinese folks in a middle of the desert and within 6 mths there will be some sort of commerce involving food and subsistence in play. No other race comes close. Agree with Rogue Trader on this. All aspects of their economy shows capitalism. It just that it controlled by the Party and the cadres. Go to any part of Africa and you can see newly arrived Chinese setting small shops and trading.