• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Complex problem of low birth rate requires more than just throwing money at it

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why do you guys worry if there is a high birth rate?

Wouldn't this then mean the govt will have no excuse to import so many FTs that take away jobs for the working class and lower income groups?

A high birth rate won't replace foreign imports. It will more probably result in lower quality Singaporeans that need even more reinforcement from foreign talents.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't think anyone is looking for a high birth rate or am I missing something. I thought everyone is looking for a replacement rate for the following reasons

• so that younger generation does not have to support the elderly on a narrow base
  • to maintain reasonable growth and advances
  • to reduce FT intake and the consequent social displacement issues.
Seems to be a superflous comment when the issue is low birth rate.

If it's at replacement rate, then there's no problem. But if it's higher, the quality of childhood and childcare would be compromised, and therefore, the quality of Singaporean adults eventually produced. It's the 21st century economic, social and neighbourhood environment, not the mid 20th century. Then there's always the land area constraint, already so dense and congested now.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
i thought it would be better to allow the population's growth to self-regulate rather than to create another facilitated "baby-boom" :biggrin:

If it's at replacement rate, then there's no problem. But if it's higher, the quality of childhood and childcare would be compromised, and therefore, the quality of Singaporean adults eventually produced. It's the 21st century economic, social and neighbourhood environment, not the mid 20th century. Then there's always the land area constraint, already so dense and congested now.
First to agree for nature taking its course. I am sure both of you are aware that this boils down to 75+15+4+others% formula in 1959. Its was also the same issue that Tengku considered when kicking Singapore out of Malaysia.

The Malays have the highest birth rate and the Chinese the lowest. This led to introduction of FTs so that the formula can be met. Unfortunately FTs (where both parents are foreigners) has the highest birth rate even outstripping couples where one parent is a singaporean. This has created another monster.

The direct/indirect effects are social issues, identity changing/eroding, affluent singaporeans migrating, affluent singaporean migrating with their families but running the business here and enjoying the benefits while their kids are growing up in1st world countries. Essentially a hot potato.

No one in his right mind is looking for a high birth rate. Nature taking its course went out of the window in the 60s.

There is a reason why there is a Perm Sec looking after the "Population Unit" all by itself when Perm Sec are head of Ministeries.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
....boils down to 75+15+4+others% formula in 1959..Malays have the highest birth rate and the Chinese the lowest. The direct/indirect effects are social issues, identity changing/eroding, Essentially a hot potato.
No one in his right mind is looking for a high birth rate. Nature taking its course went out of the window in the 60s.
Good insight on historical equation.

Ironically, ours contrasts with Philippines. Saw this interesting telly segment recently that some poor quarters there needing govt help on family planning which is a catholic taboo.

PAP_agent

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe you all are a different breed, but singaporeans in general certainly respond to monetary incentives. Remember the elections? How my masters can buy votes for a mere few hundred?

Why, many of my friends are seriously considering having babies now!

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good post Bro. This is yet another bad example of having such an absolute one party system in power, particularly one that micro manages every facet of Singapore society. Some food for thought:

"I'm sceptical of attempting to social-engineer behaviour when you're up against forces that are in amny regards just as potent...Pointing to the expansion of career and educational opportunities for women, and increased mobility and affluence, Dr Canton said most women would not give them up to stay home for the kids. Factors like materialism and greater gender equality loomed large." Dr James Canton, Futurist Think Tank.

"We need to learn to fine-tune to the emotions rather than to the dollar and cents. It should appeal more to the sense of fulfilment of having children."
Ngiam Tong Dow
The Malays have the highest birth rate and the Chinese the lowest. This led to introduction of FTs so that the formula can be met. Unfortunately FTs (where both parents are foreigners) has the highest birth rate even outstripping couples where one parent is a singaporean. This has created another monster.

The direct/indirect effects are social issues, identity changing/eroding, affluent singaporeans migrating, affluent singaporean migrating with their families but running the business here and enjoying the benefits while their kids are growing up in1st world countries. Essentially a hot potato.

There is a reason why there is a Perm Sec looking after the "Population Unit" all by itself when Perm Sec are head of Ministeries.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
... This is yet another bad example of having such an absolute one party system in power, particularly one that micro manages every facet of Singapore society ...

say... a barrage of advertisements with sexy ladies to entice the males, and as well as pictures of cute babies to entice the females... would that help? :biggrin:

and perhaps to keep this following advert away from the public eye...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rdZ8kgRsSCs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rdZ8kgRsSCs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Simbian

Alfrescian
Loyal
Being relatively well schooled, someone from a middle class background and who has just crossed the 30 year old threshold, I actually see alot of couples getting married. But few are having kids largely due to lifestyle issues. They do worry about the conditions their kids have to grow up in, that massive property loan, but again this is something in the back of their minds and not really dominating their daily lives. One old friend confessed that this is due to a lack of work life balance and being very stressed.

(Ironically, I later asked him if he is plagued with large amounts of busy work, and yes he admitted to having low job satisfaction. This, coming from a high flying banking officer. But that has more to do with corporate cultures rather than .gov policies.)

For me who has remained single, my own reasons for that is largely motivated by personal bias cynicism - there's far too many of human beings around and I am voluntarily removing myself from the gene pool. :biggrin:

Offhand, I say the PAP has bigger problems than just fertility rate. They are right that the FTs can do the replenishment, but let me also tell them, the Singaporeans I know if they have not already done so, almost all of them intend to migrate overseas at some stage and stay there.

As I see it, the state leadership (i.e. PAP) is trapped in a survivalist mindset and has always been. Sometimes I wonder do they even have a vision or are they just rotating the usual grandoise statements for the sake of appearances. After all, none of their fertility rate policies have ever targetted the primary problem of stress - perhaps they have the mistaken idea that they are somehow smarter than the legislators living in the Nordics and various Western countries or thinking that they can have their both economic and social cakes and eat it. Or the sitting Ministers think they can just sit on it till they retire and hand off to another clueless scholar general and then say, "Finally, no longer my problem".

There are various countries who have achieved replenishment matrix by introducing legislation with an aim to reducing the stress of their citizens so that couples can find time to do that thing in bed and to go out and relax and socialize. As with the issue of low/un-skilled workers wages being low, the government is still not willing to bite the bullet to enact the changes.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
As with the issue of low/un-skilled workers wages being low, the government is still not willing to bite the bullet to enact the changes.

noted that folks from the lower income family group have more kids than those in the higher income group, does anyone have the data to support this observation?

Power2016

Alfrescian
Loyal
low birth rate...so easy to solve, allow singapore born man to marry a FT as second wife

Last edited:

coolguy

Alfrescian
Loyal
But our population is now so overcrowded. 5 million and more counting.
Our infrastructure is straining, resources is reducing and jobs more competitive to find.
Cost of living ever increasing.
If suddenly we see an overly high birth rate, how are we going to cope?
An example. If the cup is alreay filled to the brink with water, how is the cup
going to fill in more water?

Last edited:

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
But our population is now so overcrowded. 5 million and more counting.
Our infrastructure is straining, resources is reducing and jobs more competitive to find.
Cost of living ever increasing.
If suddenly we see an overly high birth rate, how are we going to cope?
An example. If the cup is alreay filled to the brink with water, how is the cup
going to fill in more water?

If PAP does not create problems for Singapore and its people,it is then a real miracle,it never happens.

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Old Fart is the one who enforced the "stop-at-two" policy very vigorously with very harsh financial punishments and discriminations and no one ,yes NO ONE, dare to raise a finger to the face of the Old Fart that he is Wrong at that time.
The Old Fart tried to be a smart aleck to stop the natural procreation of Singaporeans by causing so much fear and anxiety against Singaporeans then and now the consequence of "low birth" befalls on the country.
Till today,the Old Fart has NOT apologised for this wrong policy and even has the cheek to tell the Singaporeans to produce more children !
The elite Old Fart is living in ivory tower and do not empathise with the daily difficulties of the 3rd class Singaporeans.
By the way ,Why he didn't demand his daughter to get married and produce more children for the sake of the country ?
KNNCCB to the Old Fart !!!
Go to hell Old Fart !!!

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I dont understand till this day, why people keep blame the stop at 2 policy? its one of the last few good policies the PAP every implemented. The problem is PAP raise the cost of living, decrease the standard of living and make things worse for Singaporeans that is why many dont want to breed. and nothing wrong with a decreasing population, its just PAP greedy and with its rent seeking behaviour and wont solve this problem.

Also lets say this, Singaporeans in general are educated and the properly brought up middle class in general knows how hard it is to raise a family. My frens and family of my generation have about 2 kids in general (per couple). They have already made up for the decreasing population,,but they also know the hard future their kids have and they are doing their best. But PAP with their FT policies etc are not making their jobs any easier,,and these are true blue Singaporeans...to have change PAP needs to be kicked out,,,remember to vote against PAP

The Old Fart is the one who enforced the "stop-at-two" policy very vigorously with very harsh financial punishments and discriminations and no one ,yes NO ONE, dare to raise a finger to the face of the Old Fart that he is Wrong at that time.
The Old Fart tried to be a smart aleck to stop the natural procreation of Singaporeans by causing so much fear and anxiety against Singaporeans then and now the consequence of "low birth" befalls on the country.
Till today,the Old Fart has NOT apologised for this wrong policy and even has the cheek to tell the Singaporeans to produce more children !
The elite Old Fart is living in ivory tower and do not empathise with the daily difficulties of the 3rd class Singaporeans.
By the way ,Why he didn't demand his daughter to get married and produce more children for the sake of the country ?
KNNCCB to the Old Fart !!!
Go to hell Old Fart !!!

theDoors

Alfrescian
Loyal
cheaper better faster wages can't support kids... with ever rising inflation... expensive housing... and high cost of living