• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

cny becomes public holiday in new york

gsbslut

Stupidman
Loyal

Chinese Lunar New Year becomes a school holiday

New Yorkers across the state demanded change to happen. With a petition that received seven thousand signatures and a crowd on the governor’s staircase in August, their voices were finally heard.
www.news10.com

ALBANY, N.Y. (NEWS10) -Asian Americans celebrating a huge win for their culture after Governor Hochul signed new legislation on September 9. Legislation (A.7768/S.7573) has schools closed for the Chinese Lunar New Year when the holiday falls on a weekday. The 2024 celebration will take place on Saturday, February 10, and will not impact this academic year.

As President of Albany’s Chinese Community Center (CCC), Wei Qin still thinks back to her childhood Lunar New Years; celebrating in bright clothing with food and firecrackers. “The whole package, the image, its impression, so deeply rooted in one’s memory.”

Chinese Community Center celebrates 50 years serving Capital Region
When Qin came to the United States in 2014, she found that her heritage was not as honored as everyone else’s. She felt her children missing out on their culture. “Every year, when it is Lunar New Year Day, I feel sad because my kids have to go to school. It should be a big celebration. Memorable to them like it is to me.”

For more than a decade, Assemblymember William Colton has been pushing for this legislation on behalf of his county. “The Asian community has been here in America and in New York for a long time. My district has about a 45% Asian population.”

Get the latest news, weather, sports and entertainment delivered right to your inbox!
New Yorkers across the state demanded change to happen. With a petition that received seven thousand signatures and a crowd on the governor’s staircase in August, their voices were finally heard. “It was a wonderful 100-people rally at the state capital. Several multiple state legislators showed up as supporters,” stated President of APAPA-Syracuse and Former President of CCC, Lining He.

The CCC is going all-out in 2024 to let everyone experience a piece of their culture. “We will work with schools, Empire State Plaza, and other organizations to spread our happiness and let more people celebrate Lunar New Year as much as possible,” explained Qin.

gsbslut

Stupidman
Loyal
soon in singapore when more cecas are here as new prs and citizens, we will have more ceca holidays too.