• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Cleaners will still have jobs

nitecrawllerr

Alfrescian
Loyal
IF DINERS at public eating places start clearing their used crockery and trays, the cleaners' jobs would be on the line, right?
Wrong.

The National Environment Agency (NEA), foodcourt owners and cleaning agencies have come out to assure cleaners - some of whom are elderly - that they will not lose their sources of livelihoods.

The NEA, for example, says hawker centres will always require cleaners, so they will be redeployed to wherever they are needed, if necessary.

Ms Lina Teo, an advertising and promotions manager for foodcourt chain Food Junction, adds that, in any case, clearing trays is 'just a small part' of a cleaner's overall job scope. They also have to wipe down the tables and sort out the dishes before they go to the dishwashers, she says.

The sentiment about turfing the cleaners out of their jobs, however, runs deep among diners - and even some cleaners.

It may well be an excuse not to clean up after themselves, but the national habit is leaving tables in a mess; it is also breeding an army of cleaners who descend on patrons almost as soon as they take that last slurp of soup.

Retiree Madam Christine Tan, 60, says: 'The cleaners are very fast and efficient when they clear the tables. If everyone does his own, then they will soon be without jobs.'

Madam Koh Lee Eng, 63, who started her cleaning job at Hougang Mall's Kopitiam eight months ago, says of The Straits Times' 'Goodness Gracious Me!' campaign to get people to bus their own trays: 'Yes, I'm worried! No job, no money!'

An assurance for people like her also comes from Mr Alden Tan, the managing director of The Kopitiam Group.

He says having customers return their dirty trays to collection stations 'will save the cleaners some time on the floor'.

'Cleaners will still need to wipe the tables clean, and those located at tray returning stations will still need to push the trolley to the back of the house more frequently to keep up with the pace in the dining hall,' he says.

Kopi@Terminal3 cleaner Yong Nyook Yin, 68, knows what he is talking about. She is among those who realise the amount of work to be done, even if customers clean up after themselves.

Cleaners still need to empty leftovers from the crockery and sort them ahead of washing, for example.

Mr Tan is certain the drive will make cleaners more efficient and enable patrons to settle down more quickly to cleared tables, but there is still scepticism about whether habits will change.

Mr Koh Chin Wee, 49, who leads the cleaning crew at the Bukit Panjang Kopitiam, says there will always be people who will not return their trays - those with many small children, for example.

Since the launch of the drive last Saturday, cleaners at the five Kopitiam outlets have noticed improvements - small ones. Kopitiam in Plaza Singapura has had a 10 per cent increase in customers returning trays to collection stations.

At the airport's Terminal 3, four in 10 customers are clearing their own tables, but most are still leaving a mess.

Airport executive Tee Lian, 35, says she wants to return her used tray, but she finds no signs pointing to collection stations.

'At least at McDonald's, you know where to return the trays. Perhaps, there should be large arrows at foodcourts pointing us to them,' she suggests.

Really chia lat. Cleaners job also at stake.:rolleyes:

Z

Zombie

The National Environment Agency (NEA), foodcourt owners and cleaning agencies have come out to assure cleaners - some of whom are elderly - that they will not lose their sources of livelihoods.

How is it assured? TKSS? :biggrin:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
About 50% cleaner will lose jobs.Of course there will be cleaner needed but will be less. That stupid NEA comment make me piss.

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal
As an operator of 3 foodcourts, I can tell you affirmatively, I can cut at least one worker per foodcourt if only half of my customers clear their tables and return the trays!!

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
As an operator of 3 foodcourts, I can tell you affirmatively, I can cut at least one worker per foodcourt if only half of my customers clear their tables and return the trays!!
No logic ..... customer pay so much to dine there.

But customer has to self deliver the food , customers have to clear the table themself. So is there a logic for customer to PREMIUM to dine in food court ?

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal

But customer has to self deliver the food , customers have to clear the table themself. So is there a logic for customer to PREMIUM to dine in food court ?

Will food prices be reduced because customers return their own utensils? Isn't this already factored into the food price? If food prices will be reduced, then, by all means, return ourselves. If not, why are we subsidising the foodcourt's overheads?

Otherwise, what's the rationale behind this move? Why should foodcourts be different from restaurants? I'm leaving my utensils after I makan in a restaurant because I believe when I pay the bill, it includes the cost for the servers and cleaners, so why not foodcourt? And if restaurants can clean up quickly, why can't foodcourts? Shouldn't the foodcourt operations be in question here, and not the customers' habits?:confused:

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal

If the culture changes amongst Singaporeans to be more responsible, food operators can cut cost right, although I don't see any significant change of attitude yet !!

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the culture changes amongst Singaporeans to be more responsible, food operators can cut cost right, although I don't see any significant change of attitude yet !!
How responsible is responsible ? U mean u want us to clear the table for you, wipe the table clean for you and self deliver the food for ourself ?

How muuch are we suppose to pay for a plate of CHAR KUAY TEOW if we are going to clean and return everything on our own ? $3.50 or $4.00 ?

Or u might borrow from PAP , Customer will pay even more if FOOD COURT Is to hire more cleaners to clear the table ?

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal
How responsible is responsible ? U mean u want us to clear the table for you, wipe the table clean for you and self deliver the food for ourself ?

How muuch are we suppose to pay for a plate of CHAR KUAY TEOW if we are going to clean and return everything on our own ? $3.50 or $4.00 ?

Or u might borrow from PAP , Customer will pay even more if FOOD COURT Is to hire more cleaners to clear the table ?

I am not demanding my customers to do that. What I am saying is a fact which is : " I can cut at least one worker per foodcourt if only half of my customers clear their tables and return the trays!!"

I am not arguing whether customers be more responsible or not !!

Z

Zombie

I am not demanding my customers to do that. What I am saying is a fact which is : " I can cut at least one worker per foodcourt if only half of my customers clear their tables and return the trays!!"

If customers clear their tables, the turnover per table will drop.

Income for food sellers will drop.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are absolutely right! Gahmen go eat shit for wanting diners to clean up too. Most hawkers are rich, why make them richer?

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal
If customers clear their tables, the turnover per table will drop.

Income for food sellers will drop.

That is why neither am I for or against. I would like to maintain status quo. I am perfectly happy even if my customers don't. One cleaner's salary per month per foodcourt is only S$900. It makes no significant difference to my profits.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
NEA under a specie protected by LHL.......... does little contructive things; even blame mozzie problems to all sgians. Always taking the credit but not the blame. Wonder why this ex-NUS lecturer gets paid so much!!

Alfrescian
Loyal
What I am afraid is by then the job may be outsourced to F/Ts. :rolleyes:

That's right. Look at Food Republic at Wisma, they employed pretty PRC mei mei to do the chore. Look a them pretty and chio and can double up as FL.
No wonder business so good. NEA should do the same.

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's right. Look at Food Republic at Wisma, they employed pretty PRC mei mei to do the chore. Look a them pretty and chio and can double up as FL.
No wonder business so good. NEA should do the same.

The PRC meimeis I employed are not chio at all. Majority of them are in their 30s but they are very hardworking and with initiative.:biggrin::biggrin:

Alfrescian
Loyal

Employ PRC Mei Mei, Guaranteed your business will be tripled. Pay peanuts you get Aunties, Pay macadamia you get Mei Mei.

Alfrescian
Loyal

Go to Ikea cafe and see for yourself. I would say in term of business they are the best. 50 per cent will clear their tables. Do you have space for the equipments. I don't think it is responsiblities of the customers but awareness on their part, provided your foodcourts are of good standard and your workers must be in uniforms, better still with PRC mei mei. Cut those crabs of using aunties and retirees ( I don't mean to sound bad). It is about you and your stall holders have to survive.

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
To be fair to customers, if it's like Ikea or the European eateries, the signs are there to advise customers to return their trays. It's more the modus operandi of the eatery or foodcourt. If I enter an establishment which clearly spells out that's their policy, I'll abide. Otherwise, like restaurants, I assume it's not required, and that they have staff to handle that task. Signs and collection points are a good start to let customers know what's expected of them. Up to now, which foodcourt or hawker centre prominently display any sign to tell customers that?