• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Cheapskate distant relative at Marina Sands wedding in early 2011

petertok

Alfrescian
Loyal
I

Against my wishes , my father invited relatives to my wedding dinner , when 1 family of 3 revert that they cant attend due to "an excuse" I was quietly happy. Then when they found out that my wedding is at marina Sands, they promptly called to inform that they can now attend....sad sad sad as I had been told this is a cheapskate family out to be free loaders all the time.

Came the wedding night , this couple , a Senior Counsel and senior manager SIA wife brought along teenage daughter . My parents were shocked when they opened the red packet on our behalf to find $100 in it. 3 persons attending a wedding dinner at the prestigious Marina Sands having the cheek to place $100 sheepishly into the red packet ! Are they that low class to take advantage of their relatives ?Sure they are aware going to hawker centre for Chi char also more than $100 nowadays, yet they kaka give $100. Suay to have such free loader relatives , still cannot get over this episode of my important day in life.

* Dinner menu included Sharksfin soup and Abalone too.

Alfrescian
My Reputation: 96
Posts:781Rep Power:4 Re: Cheapskate distant relative at Marina Sands wedding in early 2011
Originally Posted by middaydog
Oi! my upcoming wedding dinner everybody comes free, on one condition _ KNNBCCB sits same table as my Ah Neh guests

Main course - B.O.

Cheers! Reply With Quote .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yesterday 02:15 PM #66 GoldenDragon
View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message

Alfrescian
My Reputation: 126
Posts:3,908Rep Power:4 Re: Cheapskate distant relative at Marina Sands wedding in early 2011
Originally Posted by middaydog
Oi! my upcoming wedding dinner everybody comes free, on one condition _ KNNBCCB sits same table as my Ah Neh guests
Third marriage sibo? Need me as driver? Comes with armed bodyguard too. Reply With Quote .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yesterday 02:16 PM #67 GoldenDragon

Alfrescian
Posts:3,908Rep Power:4 Re: Cheapskate distant relative at Marina Sands wedding in early 2011
Originally Posted by Narong Wongwan
He should have adopted old Hainanese style where they will open all ang pows at the door and announce the amount and write details on a board. Show offs used to get off on this and cheapos will be weeded out.
Like hanging flowers ! Reply With Quote .
Yesterday 02:22 PM #68 middaydog

Alfrescian
My Reputation: 248
Posts:2,211Rep Power:6 Re: Cheapskate distant relative at Marina Sands wedding in early 2011
Originally Posted by GoldenDragon
Third marriage sibo? Need me as driver? Comes with armed bodyguard too.
Don't need driver, You come right to the wedding, sit at this table together with KNNBCCB

but leave the one in blue second from right to KNNBCCB Reply With Quote .
Yesterday 02:23 PM #69 KNNBCCB

Alfrescian
My Reputation: 250
Posts:2,151Rep Power:3 Re: Cheapskate distant relative at Marina Sands wedding in early 2011
Originally Posted by GoldenDragon
Third marriage sibo? Need me as driver? Comes with armed bodyguard too.
boss , are you sure you wan to be driver ? Drive a cow want or not ?
Dun be surprise, Datuk Botak's third bride turn out to be chio bu ah neh !

Q : What is the difference between an Ah Neh and a bucket of shit ?
A : The bucket. Reply With Quote .
Yesterday 02:36 PM #70 GoldenDragon

Alfrescian
Originally Posted by KNNBCCB
boss , are you sure you wan to be driver ? Drive a cow want or not ?
Dun be surprise, Datuk Botak's third bride turn out to be chio bu ah neh !
I saw Datuk's GCB the other day. Must por his lumpar liao. He very the rich. His garage boasts cars like Lambo, Ferrari, Rolls Royce, BMW etc. Don't play-play with Datuk.

Boss Datuk, tiok bo? Reply With Quote .
Yesterday 04:49 PM #71 Lestat

Alfrescian
My Reputation: 241
Posts:791Rep Power:4 Re: Cheapskate distant relative at Marina Sands wedding in early 2011
If your sole purpose in holding a wedding dinner is to profit from it (from ang bao collections), no offense, you are just being a dumb fuck.

A wedding dinner celebration is to let all the relatives, friends and loved ones to witness and celebrate YOUR big day. The amount in ang bao shouldn't be the main issue. Why are so many people so worked up over ang bao amount?

It's a wedding dinner, for goodness sake, not some shares transaction!
Posted with my BB Bold. Reply With Quote .
Today 02:14 AM #72 LonewolfAlfa

Alfrescian
My Reputation: 147
Posts:692Rep Power:4 Re: Cheapskate distant relative at Marina Sands wedding in early 2011
Originally Posted by petertok
when 1 family of 3 revert that they cant attend due to "an excuse" I was quietly happy.
I dont understand why u use the word revert.

Definition of revert

re·vert (r-vûrt) KEY

intr.v.
re·vert·ed, re·vert·ing, re·verts
To return to a former condition, practice, subject, or belief.
To return to the former owner or to the former owner's heirs. Used of money or property.
To undergo reversion.

Thesaurus: revert
revert
verb
To come back to a former condition: recrudesce, recur, reoccur, return. See repetition
To slip from a higher or better condition to a former, usually lower or poorer one: backslide, lapse, regress, relapse, retrogress. See better, repetition
"Don't listen to bears. Haven't met a rich bear before" Reply With Quote .
Today 02:24 AM #73 SneeringTree

Alfrescian (Inf)
My Reputation: 518
Posts:1,766Rep Power:5 Re: Cheapskate distant relative at Marina Sands wedding in early 2011
Originally Posted by LonewolfAlfa
I dont understand why u use the word revert.

I am so glad someone finally pointed this. In my email correspondence with many Sinkies (especially civil servants), they always say "I will revert to you". I keep thinking what the fuck do they mean? How can they turn into me? And was I originally them? I didn't know civil servants take existentialist classes...

Of course they meant, "I will respond to you soon" or "I will keep you posted", etc.

Must be some half fucked Perm Sec or Minister who started misusing the word...and all the dogs start lapping along. Reply With Quote .
Today 02:51 AM #74 LonewolfAlfa

Alfrescian
My Reputation: 147
Posts:692Rep Power:4 Re: Cheapskate distant relative at Marina Sands wedding in early 2011
yah, trying to sound bombastic.
"Don't listen to bears. Haven't met a rich bear before" Reply With Quote .
Today 02:54 AM #75 Leongsam

Singlish Exterminator
My Reputation: 292
Posts:5,007Rep Power:9 Re: Cheapskate distant relative at Marina Sands wedding in early 2011
Originally Posted by SneeringTree
Must be some half fucked Perm Sec or Minister who started misusing the word...and all the dogs start lapping along.
Nothing can be worse than the term Mr X is "outstation" even he's been sent to London or NYC!

"Advise" vs "Advice"
"Lose" vs "Loose"

Reply With Quote .
Today 02:59 AM #76 mollusk

Alfrescian
My Reputation: 19
Posts:222Rep Power:0 Re: Cheapskate distant relative at Marina Sands wedding in early 2011
Against my wishes , my father invited relatives to my wedding dinner , when 1 family of 3 revert that they cant attend due to "an excuse" I was quietly happy. Then when they found out that my wedding is at marina Sands, they promptly called to inform that they can now attend....sad sad sad as I had been told this is a cheapskate family out to be free loaders all the time.

Came the wedding night , this couple , a Senior Counsel and senior manager SIA wife brought along teenage daughter . My parents were shocked when they opened the red packet on our behalf to find $100 in it. 3 persons attending a wedding dinner at the prestigious Marina Sands having the cheek to place $100 sheepishly into the red packet ! Are they that low class to take advantage of their relatives ?Sure they are aware going to hawker centre for Chi char also more than $100 nowadays, yet they kaka give $100. Suay to have such free loader relatives , still cannot get over this episode of my important day in life.

* Dinner menu included Sharksfin soup and Abalone too.
wah liao..you are the cheapskate host.Invite people still expect them to pay for their meals. Reply With Quote .
Today 09:20 AM #77 petertok

Alfrescian
My Reputation: 10
Posts:17Rep Power:0 Re: Cheapskate distant relative at Marina Sands wedding in early 2011
Thank you for all the postings, some are sensible whilst there are also some rubbish . My purpose of posting is to highlight to all bros and sis that there are low class stingy people in this world who just wanted free/cheap meals at the expense of others, of course it will NOT be an issue if they dont give me an ang pow on my invitation ,since we invite without hoping for big ang pows to cover our wedding expenditure. But I am only pissed off with relatives that are well to do who come for a "bargain" , is this the typical kiasu , kiasi & tumsin traits of Singaporeans?

I never expect to profit out of a joyous occasion which is once in a lifetime , but to be met with a cheapskate relative spoils my day . If they did not turn up , I would have been happier BUT their presence with a $100 ang pow for 3 shows they lack manners and respect for their sincere relatives who wanted them to join in the celebrations. I had poorer relatives who came and yet their ang pows are much more than the SC and SIA manager's , anyway , I held another dinner for the poorer relatives who showed their generosity emphasising not to bring any gifts as an appreciation of their presence on my wedding dinner at a restaurant ( Marina Sands again ) to let them enjoy good food without the need to worry about footing the bill.

So dont get me wrong that I am whining because of money to cover my dinner expenses , its simply to warn to be invitees NOT to take advantage of others. Have respect for those who invited them . Reply With Quote .
Today 09:22 AM #78 khunking

Alfrescian
My Reputation: 251
Posts:1,513Rep Power:5 Re: Cheapskate distant relative at Marina Sands wedding in early 2011
Peter, maybe you should have been firm about your invited guest list. I'm sure your dad would have respected your decision since it's your hopefully once in a lifetime big day.

Reply With Quote .
Today 09:59 AM #79 streetsmart73

Alfrescian
My Reputation: 176
Posts:1,337Rep Power:4 Re: Cheapskate distant relative at Marina Sands wedding in early 2011
Originally Posted by red amoeba
u want face, so u hold the wedding at MBS.

u want face, so u invite all the tom dicks n harrys

n now u want to complain ang pows < expenses?

wat's next? U complain bridesmaid more chio than the bride? LOL
hi there

1. honest, i am just wondering how much does dick or pete expect from his guests?
2. after all, the menu includes sharkfin and abalone! Reply With Quote .
Today 10:02 AM #80 streetsmart73

Alfrescian
My Reputation: 176
Posts:1,337Rep Power:4 Re: Cheapskate distant relative at Marina Sands wedding in early 2011
Thank you for all the postings, some are sensible whilst there are also some rubbish . My purpose of posting is to highlight to all bros and sis that there are low class stingy people in this world who just wanted free/cheap meals at the expense of others, of course it will NOT be an issue if they dont give me an ang pow on my invitation ,since we invite without hoping for big ang pows to cover our wedding expenditure. But I am only pissed off with relatives that are well to do who come for a "bargain" , is this the typical kiasu , kiasi & tumsin traits of Singaporeans?

I never expect to profit out of a joyous occasion which is once in a lifetime , but to be met with a cheapskate relative spoils my day . If they did not turn up , I would have been happier BUT their presence with a $100 ang pow for 3 shows they lack manners and respect for their sincere relatives who wanted them to join in the celebrations. I had poorer relatives who came and yet their ang pows are much more than the SC and SIA manager's , anyway , I held another dinner for the poorer relatives who showed their generosity emphasising not to bring any gifts as an appreciation of their presence on my wedding dinner at a restaurant ( Marina Sands again ) to let them enjoy good food without the need to worry about footing the bill.

So dont get me wrong that I am whining because of money to cover my dinner expenses , its simply to warn to be invitees NOT to take advantage of others. Have respect for those who invited them .

hi there

1. pete, my advice to you.
2. do likewise when they marry off their teenage daughter.
3. provided you are on their invitation list by then. Reply With Quote