• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Charles Chong To Stand In Joo Chiat SMC

jw5

Loyal
SINGAPORE: Veteran PAP MP Charles Chong will be fielded in Joo Chiat SMC for the coming General Election.

This comes after its incumbent MP Chan Soo Sen announced his retirement from politics.

It was a farewell on many accounts, as the leader of Pasir-Ris Punggol GRC Teo Chee Hean saw his colleague Charles Chong off.

Mr Chong will be moving to contest the single seat in Joo Chiat, currently helmed by retiring MP Chan Soo Sen.

Mr Teo said: "We want to make sure that Joo Chiat residents continue to be well-taken care of, that's why we have asked Mr Charles Chong to come here and understudy Mr Chan Soo Sen.

"We want to make sure we have a good, experienced MP who will be able to continue to look after the residents well."

At 55-years-old, Mr Chan Soon Sen is well-liked among the Chinese-speaking residents.

But he's confident his successor will settle in well, with his ability to speak English and Mandarin.

Mr Chan said: "I'll go back to my full-time job, maybe I can then spend more time with my family.

"I will still continue to be on call with the party and also with Joo Chiat if they should need me. That is an open-ended commitment. Once a PAP member, always a PAP member."

Having taken care of Joo Chiat for almost 15 years, Mr Chan might be most well-known for revamping the area's image - from a sleazy town to a culturally-rich Peranakan village.

Now that he's passing the baton, what issues does his successor Mr Chong hope to address?

"I think (I'd address) parking problems. They have quite severe parking problems, especially in areas where the popular eating houses are," Mr Chong said.

"So, traffic congestion, parking problems -- that appeared quite a few times on the wish list.

"Mr Chan had been working on it, I hope to continue working on that too, and eventually try to solve and problem".

Meanwhile, Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong, who's also MP for Marine Parade, was also working the ground, greeting residents from a part of Joo Chiat that had been absorbed into his GRC.

Mr Goh said: "I would like Joo Chiat to retain its identity as Joo Chiat, so that people know Joo Chiat means the old Joo Chiat.

"But there are two Mps; it doesn't matter, but Joo Chiat must retain its heritage and identity.

"So I'll see Charles Chong sometime next week to see how we can work together".

Mr Goh had earlier commented on the Marine Parade constituency's Facebook page, citing speculation that one of his MPs, Seah Kian Peng, could be fielded the single seat.

After news of Mr Chong's move, Mr Seah's follow-up comment on Mr Goh's post read: "Despite my making repeated statements to that effect, the media continues to ask me the same question. With all the speculation the last few days, it has caused also some anxiety amongst my GRLs and residents... .... now that news is out that Charles Chong is standing in JC, I am glad that this is finally settled".

-CNA/wk

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
After his lesser mortal comment, it would be inappropriate to field him in a electorate consisting mainly of heartlanders.

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well ...I agree

I disagree. Although Joo Chiat is not considered Heartlander, the problems of FT replacing PMET impacts them as much if not more than the heartlands. Many are also fed up with the non accountability of the mess caused by the 3G Pappies. All talk and living off the good works done by the 1st G Pappies.

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
Charles Chong very popular in Punggol-Pasir Ris leh. Unlike those spineless MPs, at least he pretend pretend to be serious about "speaking out" for the pple with the white elephant affair of Buangkok MRT station.

jw5

Loyal
Charles Chong very popular in Punggol-Pasir Ris leh. Unlike those spineless MPs, at least he pretend pretend to be serious about "speaking out" for the pple with the white elephant affair of Buangkok MRT station.

That's rather ironical actually. :o :biggrin:

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is ironical but the point I was trying to make is that there are actors and there are actors. Most of the PAP MPs cannot even string a proper argument in Parliament but Charles Chong's constituency suan Vivian with white elephants leh. Obviously he scored points with his people.

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This reservist pte-cum-MP is at least better & more hardworking than some SAF-OMS LTCs-cum-MPs-cum-jiakliaobees!:biggrin::biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
This reservist pte-cum-MP is at least better & more hardworking than some SAF-OMS LTCs-cum-MPs-cum-jiakliaobees!:biggrin::biggrin:

Asked you this before but you didn't reply to me. :(
Are you sure he is a reservist pte and any idea why?

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
this really seems like a weak link. oppo should send some1 of reasonable calibre here. got chance to kick out that lesser mortal chong.

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Asked you this before but you didn't reply to me. :(
Are you sure he is a reservist pte and any idea why?

Bro my apologies! I not sombong lah. Either I overlook or didn't read it properly! Confirmed Mr Charles is pte. Several years ago (can't recall which year) when reservist ranks were all the rage among civil servants, he was featured in the ST prominently with a pic of him in full army fatigues inside a foxhole and showing a wide grin. He was doing his reservist training. Of course, he may possibly be promoted one rank thereafter. This was in sharp contrast to the many majors, ltcs and Colonels among the MIWs. This pic stuck in my memory till today.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
MIW anticipating a close battle in Joo Chiat. No other reason why Charles will battle there. May not be very highly educated, but EQ-wise, Charles should rank ahead of many of his comrades. Lau cheow MPs are needed.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Confirm with chop Charles Chong's rank was private. No matter how many promotions they can give he is still an other rank, no officer.
Reminds me of David Lim, this chap only captain or major rank in reservist, he was very conscious of this fact and never wear his uniform during those SAF day observance functions because he very malu.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Confirm with chop Charles Chong's rank was private. No matter how many promotions they can give he is still an other rank, no officer.
Reminds me of David Lim, this chap only captain or major rank in reservist, he was very conscious of this fact and never wear his uniform during those SAF day observance functions because he very malu.

David Lim was a failure in politics. A complete failure that even his MIW cronies decided DL was better off in the shipping industry. Good brains, good degree no really needed. Just look at WKS.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
David Lim was a failure in politics. A complete failure that even his MIW cronies decided DL was better off in the shipping industry. Good brains, good degree no really needed. Just look at WKS.

DL was actually the blue eyed boy but kept asking for more pay till they got fed up of him and sacked him.
Always end his speeches with god bless you which turned alot of people off.

jw5

Loyal
Bro my apologies! I not sombong lah. Either I overlook or didn't read it properly! Confirmed Mr Charles is pte. Several years ago (can't recall which year) when reservist ranks were all the rage among civil servants, he was featured in the ST prominently with a pic of him in full army fatigues inside a foxhole and showing a wide grin. He was doing his reservist training. Of course, he may possibly be promoted one rank thereafter. This was in sharp contrast to the many majors, ltcs and Colonels among the MIWs. This pic stuck in my memory till today.

No problem bro. :smile:
But any ideas why?
During my time, even my nsf friends who had O levels were made LCPs before they became "operationally ready".
Was it different during Charles' time?