• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Cat Lim: PAPee is Feeling Very Insecure

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Jan 13, 2010

GENERAL ELECTION
Surprised by 'cooling off' idea

<!-- by line --><!-- end by line -->
<!-- end left side bar --><!-- story content : start -->
MY REACTION to the recent announcement of the 'cooling off' period of 24 hours before Polling Day ('24 hours to cool off before Polling Day', Dec 1), was of great surprise, followed by a single thought: 'Why, the People's Action Party (PAP) must be feeling very insecure.'
My analysis of the situation went something like this:

The decision must have been driven by self-interest.

It meant that the PAP is convinced the new ruling will give it an advantage at the polls, that is, more Singaporeans would vote for the PAP than if there were no ruling.

Since 'cooling off' can only refer to emotions, there must be a PAP fear that the wildly enthusiastic display of emotions by the large crowds at opposition rallies in past general elections is likely to be exploited by the opposition in this coming one. It will build up to a climax towards the end, affecting the voting pattern, and hence, must be prevented.

The emotional approach, though it has its uses, is completely alien - and contemptible - to the pragmatic, no-nonsense PAP leadership that has always prided itself on its rational approach, solidly backed by charts and figures showing its many achievements, and by constant reminders of the good life made possible by strong, efficient leadership.

Despite its distrust of emotions, the PAP realises that in the coming General Election, emotions could actually become the rogue factor in the political equation.
For, the electorate will include a large number of new, young voters who belong to the noisy, rumbustious world of the Internet, where emotions rather than cool reason prevail. The opposition is sure to make opportunistic use of this new force.

Since the PAP could never adopt the 'If you can't beat them, join them' strategy of using the same emotional approach, the only way is to reduce its impact especially at the point where it is expected to be maximal, that is, just before Polling Day itself. Hence the 24-hour clampdown.
I was surprised that a shrewd leadership like the PAP could come up with a ruling that first, is of doubtful value and could even backfire; second, exposes an anxiety that could provide political fodder for the opposition, and third, exposes an insecurity that must make even its supporters wonder about how strong, after more than four decades of leadership, the bond between the Government and the people really is.
Catherine Lim (Ms)

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
How secure can one be when the rules are constantly changed to secure one's future?

Time to dump the pappies.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
how secure it can b wif ze announcement not made on home soil in front of home supporters ...

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Despite her petite frail figure, she has a strong will to stand up to the Father, the Son and the Holy Goh.

Was this published in the ST? I don't buy the shit anymore, so I don't know.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Despite her petite frail figure, she has a strong will to stand up to the Father, the Son and the Holy Goh.

Neither do I. But seems to be form ST.

But it's so long ago. PM Lee spoke on 'cooling-off' when overseas, that's like weeks or months ago.

She just return Spore or took so long to form an opinion ?!

STUCK_HERE

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes, it is published in today's ST forum page. I buy the shit on Wednesdays.

jonlatio

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nah, maybe the letter was sent from ST to the papies and was sitting there while they had to form a committee to look into the letter and submit a report to the headman. After the green light was given and soon to be published reply drafted out, the letter was sent back to ST to be published.

You can be sure to see the official reply/replies within the next couple of days..

It's all been planned out.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Maybe she's trying to keep the topic alive. There is surprisingly less noise then expected from the opposition camp. Even Chee isn't making a lot of noise about this issue which IMO would give the ruling party a huge advantage

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Is someone here out to prove me wrong and therefore the restrain? :wink:

Who could that be? If I was a PAP agent like U claimed and that I know all along that Catherine Lim was anti PAP as shown in the earlier post, makes me wonder why I have to wait for her next article which might never happen to take a swipe at her. It's not the first time her name appeared in here

johnstonsiang

Alfrescian
Loyal
Who could that be? If I was a PAP agent like U claimed and that I know all along that Catherine Lim was anti PAP as shown in the earlier post, makes me wonder why I have to wait for her next article which might never happen to take a swipe at her. It's not the first time her name appeared in here

Well, of coz new nick haven't strike, but old nick have already found its target. :wink:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Take it easy guys. You guys are cutting across too many threads.

Can't afford to lose 2 good chaps to the Bob Sim band. We also got one chap on prozac and thinks that Ang Mos are honest, another has a love fair with Bank of China Building, a third chap thinks that large font, centred text and atrocious graphics gets the message across.

Well, of coz new nick haven't strike, but old nick have already found its target. :wink: