• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Cashier in a fix over credit cards

C

Cao Pi

Saturday November 20, 2010

Cashier in a fix over credit cards

KUALA LUMPUR: A cashier’s hopes of securing gold credit cards from two international banks were dashed when she instead received demands to settle outstanding payments totalling more than RM19,000. Hew Siew Fong, 43, applied for the credits cards at a shopping complex in March 2009 but did not receive any. “I was shocked when I saw the banks’ notices for payment, so I immediately called them to say that I had not received any cards from them,” Hew told a press conference chaired by MCA Public Services and Complaints Department head Datuk Michael Chong.

n_29chong.jpg

Unknown debts: Chong (right) with Hew showing the bank notices and police report at the MCA Public Complaints Department yesterday.

The banks replied that they had sent the cards through the post to her address. “I had told one of the banks earlier that I would collect the card in person when an officer from the bank called to confirm some particulars with me.

“I don’t understand why they sent it through the post,” said a distressed Hew, who received notices to pay RM5,722.16 and RM13,698.11 respectively from the two banks. However, one of the banks cleared Hew of all the credit card charges and also apologised to her upon investigating the matter.
But they failed to offer her any explanation over the matter.

The second bank sent her a legal notice on Nov 1, insisting that she clears her outstanding payment. “The bank told me that I had activated the card through my phone, but on that day my phone was barred. “I had even lodged a complaint with the service provider,” said Hew, adding that she was sure someone else must have activated her card.

Datuk Michael Chong, expressing disappointment over the second bank’s approach, said: “We will try to provide Hew with legal advice, but I hope that the bank will try to avoid taking the case to court.” Chong urged the public to apply for credits cards directly through the issuing banks and to collect them personally to avoid being cheated.