• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Canadian PR

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anywhere in this world is the same, it is up to you to decide where you want to be and how you could improve on your lot in the country you decided to settle down in..

There are always pro and con in any country you decided to spent the rest of your life in.

To those who decided to emigrate it is a whole new experience and a challenge we all look forward to, for better or for worse it is our choice.

Dole43

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not every one can afford a house, a garage or home for that matter. Not all homes have garages. etc, etc. Homes in Metropolitan areas are not cheap.

Now you just reminded me of another painful task. Lawn mowing! The jokers here will tell Sinkies it is fun to do lawn mowing just to convince them to come to Canada.

If you have the choice, you will be better off in California or Australia.

I see your perspective, given full options with the wealth, youth, skills and mobility to choose to live anywhere in the world, the obvious choices will be fine weather vibrant locations like California or Australia. Preferred countries are the US, Australia, NZ then Canada in that order.

Not many prospective migrants have employers sending them to their countries of choice and paying them for it. Most will have no prior experience with that country and go through the usual route of submitting an application while still based in Singapore and waiting out the approval process.

Personally, I am not aware of the US having such an application process, else I would have tried it instead of trying my luck at the green card lottery. US is ideal because I can range anywhere from NY to Miami to Houston to San Jose to Seattle to find my ideal environment. For those familiar with US cities, moving from the east coast to the southeast, southwest and the west cost is like going to a different country, with big differences in cost of living and people behavior (Californians are the worst :smile:.)

Australia has an age limit, and points start to lower above 40. Correct me if I'm wrong but to me 40 seems to be the magic age where many working parents wake up to the realities of Sg living and schooling and start looking for options elsewhere.

NZ seems to be more generous than Australia with their points system. The only catch with NZ is that they have a tendency, especially through their Shanghai office, to offer WTR, or work to residency before they decide whether to grant full PR. This to me is a big risk for the family. To give up the job in Sg, uproot the family to NZ, start searching for a job that may never materialise within the WTR time frame, then what?

Which leaves us with Canada, which is what this thread is all about. Canada has a points system too, but with a higher age limit before points are reduced. Its PR terms are everything or nothing, no ifs or maybes. Canadian cities are very similar to US cities in look and feel, and it is easy to cross the border by road with kids, pets and all. Weather-wise, Vancouver should be similar to Seattle or Portland; and Toronto, Montreal should be similar to NYC, Boston, or Chicago. For Mediterranean type of climate, Canada is not for you. Only the best and most mobile get to pick their climate of choice, the rest have to settle for everything else except the weather.
(Edit: Sorry Calgary, Edmonton, Regina people, I can' think of any US city to pair with, but I'm sure your locations are nice places too.)

As for affordability of homes, there are other threads in this forum that show the best and most prestigious of suburbs in the US and Canada are within striking reach of the typical skillfully employed HDB flat dweller. Anyway, garages are almost default items in the cheapest of semis and detached starter homes so we can assume that a garage is included.

Mowing lawns is always a chore for anybody who lives in a house with a garden whether it is in Canada, US, Australia, NZ, Singapore or Malaysia. So is washing dishes, thankfully they have dishwashers as default kitchen appliance here.

Last edited:

Dole43

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just ignore them. In the last 11 years, both in the old SBF and this, there will always be rejects who can't make it anywhere except in a well in Singapore.

Your kids will benefit immensely from the sacrifices that you made. They are now living in a country that is part of the 1st world, where individualism, welfare for less fortunate, innovation, and advancement of mankind is topmost. Its a democracy, where your views and opinions are respected.

If clowns have problem with petty things like snow and mowing lawns, they deserve to live in the well they call home.

Trolls will write the most ridiculous things and hoping to bait. Just don't reply or respond. Let them drown in their own swill and continue to be marginalised.

By the way, there is no such thing as a smart answer to a troll. A reply how well crafted is still a reply and a win for a troll.

You are so right, I can see the results that this kinder environment has done for my kids already. If this thread helps even just one family enroute here to a smoother landing, it will be well worth it.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I was listening to the radio. Prisoners in Canada get federal payments from the government!

They are going to change that though.

Is that good or bad to you? Well depends on your perspective.

Life is short. Just do what you want to do. Be happy.

wendypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Somebody was saying free this, free that. A very simple rule in life. Nothing is free in this world. If you got it free, it means someone paid for it.

And it is because of free loaders like a special needs person, the health care system in Canada is burdened and stretched.

The normal healthy person like you and me suffer.

4539861914_b89612db18_z.jpg

wendypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
See what the free loaders do to the Canadian care system. It is so stretched and burdened that the quality suffers. The news report is about Victoria General Hospital. The lastest case now is in Kamloops.

4546569649_2221834781_z.jpg

wendypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not only your degree and qualifications is not recognized, you will be discriminated because of your ethnic name.

5266708398_1d9ee7e213.jpg

wendypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gun violence is on the rise in Canada. It is so bad now that it is like a John Woo movie with explosive gun play. And it happened in an affluent area - a neighbourhood where the Mayor of Vancouver lives.

5258264640_2b75d8fce5_b.jpg

fanta

Alfrescian
Loyal
What's the big deal? I just experienced -30 in Calgary. My kids love the snow. They always want to snow slide after school.

Environment Canada say that at -10 degrees, it is uncomfortable and you will face a risk of hypothermia. Our friend, Hock will tell you otherwise just to persuade you to choose Canada.

You need to know Canadian winters are harsh and cold and cold is not to be taken lightly.

From Environment Canada:

The actual temperatures reached during a cold snap depend specifically on the nature of the cold air mass and where it originated. Extreme cold temperatures are associated with continental Arctic air masses. All regions in Canada have experienced temperatures below -40°C.

Cold temperatures are dangerous in their own right, but strong winds make them even more deadly. The cooling sensation caused by the combined effect of temperature and wind on bodies is known as the wind chill factor.

In Canada, exposure to extreme cold directly causes on average about 80 deaths a year. Prolonged exposure to cold temperatures can cause injuries to both humans and animals.

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 500pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=667><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 126pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 6144" width=168><COL style="WIDTH: 149pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 7277" width=199><COL style="WIDTH: 225pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 10971" width=300><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 126pt; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 height=20 width=168>Wind Chill</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 149pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 width=199>Risk of Frostbite</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 225pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 width=300>Health Concern</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 height=20>0 to -9</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65>Low</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65>• Slight increase in discomfort</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 height=20>-10 to -27</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65>Low</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65>• Uncomfortable
• Risk of hypothermia if
outside for long periods
without adequate protection

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 height=20>-28 to -39</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65>Increasing risk:
exposed skin can
freeze in 10 to 30
minutes

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65>• Check face and
extremities (fingers, toes,
ears and nose) for
numbness or whiteness
• Risk of hypothermia if
outside for long periods

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 height=20>-40 to -47</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65>High risk:
exposed skin can
freeze in 5 to 10
minutes

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65>• Check face and
extremities (fingers, toes,
ears and nose) for
numbness or whiteness
(frostbite)
• Risk of hypothermia if
outside for long periods

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 height=20>-48 to -54</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65>High risk:
exposed skin can
freeze in 2 to 5
minutes*

extremities frequently for
numbness or whiteness
(frostbite)
• Serious risk of
hypothermia if outside for
long periods

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 height=20>-55 and
colder

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65>High risk:
exposed skin can
freeze in less
than 2 minutes

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65>• Outdoor conditions are
hazardous

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Environment Canada

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
They are right!

Too many freeloaders! Stay in Singapore where they don't care about special needs people so that regular people can enjoy life!

The health care in sg is da best! Cheap and good! Short waiting times! If not happy shoot complaint letter to hospital!

Shootings everywhere in Canada makes gang fights with choppers everywhere in sg look like peanuts!

The cold is so cold it will kill you the moment the wind blows! 33 million crazy people all wanting to die live in Canada!

Don't get conned! Dont cone join us here! We don't need you to make life miserable for us!

Stay in singapore! Please please please please listen to wendy and all these negative reports! Singapore is best recognizes everyone. Migrate to Singapore! The employers there like PR and foreigner better than local citizens! If you are Singapore citizen try to migrate to Singapore as foreigner! Stay in small under threat country all the time always better!

Don't migrate it will kill you literally! Haha!

Dole43

Alfrescian
Loyal
Somebody was saying free this, free that. A very simple rule in life. Nothing is free in this world. If you got it free, it means someone paid for it.

And it is because of free loaders like a special needs person, the health care system in Canada is burdened and stretched.

The normal healthy person like you and me suffer.

I beg to differ on your view. There was a recent newspaper article giving recognition to the volunteers who give their time to help special needs people go about to live a normal life as normal people do. Unlike in Singapore where special needs people are hidden away and only perfect people get to be showcased, everyone here is given the chance to live a life. Too bad I did not cut out this article to scan in here. Who knows, one day it could be you or I kena langgah and sekali we also become special needs people that other people have to pay to support.

tomoko

Alfrescian
Loyal
I beg to differ on your view. There was a recent newspaper article giving recognition to the volunteers who give their time to help special needs people go about to live a normal life as normal people do. Unlike in Singapore where special needs people are hidden away and only perfect people get to be showcased, everyone here is given the chance to live a life.

I beg to differ your view too.

There are ample services for special needs people in Singapore and they are never hidden. It is the Sinkies who choose to avoid special needs people.

If you have special needs or have a child with special needs, please contact these organizations:

Association for Persons with Special Needs
http://www.apsn.org.sg/

The Centre for Enabled Living (CEL)
http://www.cel.sg/

Dole43

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok, I've had enough of the nonsense here. When I first arrived, Canada Border Service gave me a custom form to declare that has a checklist of Yes and No. CIC does not have a similar checklist for new immigrants, so I have created one. Next time anybody ask me for anything, I will run this checklist through them and if there is a No in it, I will not oblige that person. Here is the checklist:

NEW IMMIGRANT FROM SINGAPORE DECLARATION FORM (NIFSDF)

• I believe that every human being regardless of health or ability should be given the chance to lead a normal life. YES / NO

• I agree that the able and more fortunate should contribute to the less fortunate to enable them to lead a normal life. YES / NO

• I do not hold prejudices, or am prepared to change myself not to hold prejudices towards other races, cultures, creed or status. YES / NO

• I agree to accept all of this land for what it is, and not to compare it with selective aspects of my country of origin. YES / NO

• I will not be enticed by the symbols of status and use them to swank around and show off when I find them to be affordable and attainable where I never could have had them from where I came from. YES / NO

• I will respect the choices of many in this land who choose to live simply and not to look down on them for their smaller homes, humbler cars, simpler jobs, or their non-material or less ambitious choices. YES / NO

• I am aware of the four seasons of Spring, Winter, Fall and Winter. I am aware that temperatures fall below freezing in winter, and I expect that there will be snow. YES / NO

• I will not engage in forums to put down Canada unfairly, misrepresent the reality and facts, and deny others the hope of living in this land that I myself am enjoying. YES / NO

• At any time that I find Canada to be as bad a place as I tell others, I will proof it by uprooting myself and my family and immediately return to my country of origin to back up my stand. YES / NO

SOLEMN DECLARATION:
I declare that I will give my time and effort freely to those who seek help with settling down and is appreciative of all that Canada has to offer. I also declare to stay clear and not interfere with those who are not receptive to any assistance, cause trouble, or are here to scam and take advantage of the Canadian system.

SIGNATURE ABOVE
DATE

Last edited:

Dole43

Alfrescian
Loyal
I beg to differ your view too.

There are ample services for special needs people in Singapore and they are never hidden. It is the Sinkies who choose to avoid special needs people.

If you have special needs or have a child with special needs, please contact these organizations:

Association for Persons with Special Needs
http://www.apsn.org.sg/

The Centre for Enabled Living (CEL)
http://www.cel.sg/

I beg to beg. In Singapore, special needs are taken care of by private volunteer organizations. How much taxpayer's is used for infrastructure and services to support a normal life for special needs people?

What has been done in Singapore:
- Blind tiles and handicap lifts in MRT stations
- Blind tile at end of footpaths of some roads
- Brialle buttons in HDB lifts
- They do jobs like selling tissue paper or packing things.

What I see in Canada:
In addition to the above,
- Special needs kids are enrolled in normal schools. They have their special classes but they are part of regular school life like all the other kids. They get to school by special bus or the normal school bus.
- DART buses and minivans to fetch handicap where they want to go
- Kneeling public buses to allow easy boarding of bus
- Highly visible people in wheelchairs moving about and going about their daily business
- Highly visible volunteers going out with special needs people
- Numerous reserved parking lots in front of every shopping outlet, big outlets have more, small outlets at least 2 or 3.
- Handicap people working at real jobs.
- Welfare support.

The kneeling buses are really fascinating when I first saw them. It seems every public bus is capable of doing it. This is something Singapore can copy, provided they don't just do a few for demonstration and declare to the world that they have it. But again, Singapore commuters will KPKB because the kneeling of buses will slow down their speed to get moving.

Last edited:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Dole34, a man convinced against his will is of his opinion still.

No point arguing with people who are here to justify their lives.

Those who really want to migrate to Canada you know how to ask us for help.

I am just having so much fun here.

tomoko

Alfrescian
Loyal
I beg to beg. In Singapore, special needs are taken care of by private volunteer organizations. How much taxpayer's is used for infrastructure and services to support a normal life for special needs people?

What has been done in Singapore:
- Blind tiles and handicap lifts in MRT stations
- Blind tile at end of footpaths of some roads
- Brialle buttons in HDB lifts

What I see in Canada:
In addition to the above,
- Special needs kids are enrolled in normal schools. They have their special classes but they are part of regular school life like all the other kids. They get to school by special bus or the normal school bus.
- DART buses and minivans to fetch handicap where they want to go
- Kneeling public buses to allow easy boarding of bus
- Highly visible people in wheelchairs moving about and going about their daily business
- Highly visible volunteers going out with special needs people
- Numerous reserved parking lots in front of every shopping outlet, big outlets have more, small outlets at least 2 or 3.
- Handicap people working at jobs.
- Welfare support.

Goodness, go take the Skytrain and see how unfriendly the system is. Only one up escalator. If getting off the station, you must use stair case. Only one elevator. When elevator not in service, handicapped people and senoirs cannot get off at the station, they must get off at other stations and have to take a taxi back to the station whose elevator is out of service.

In Singapore, there are also highly visible volunteers, numerous reserved parking lots, social assistance and many more. The list goes on. We can go on forever. :smile:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Singapore has excellent social assistance programs?

Interesting eh? On one hand wendy says there should not be freeloaders. Normal people suffer that way.

Tomoko says there is an endless list of social assistance programs.

Well I think maybe this is how it works.

Have an endless list of social assistance programs that are incredibly difficult to qualify for. You need a normal person's help to get the assistance. Have highly visible FREE volunteers. Have highly visible limited number of parking lots that nobody uses because it is so hard to get a handicap permit.

So lots of programs ON PAPER but in reality low usage hence SAVE COST hence normal people enjoy life and can still say there is an endless list of assistance programs for the needy.

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore has excellent social assistance programs?

Interesting eh? On one hand wendy says there should not be freeloaders. Normal people suffer that way.

Tomoko says there is an endless list of social assistance programs.

Well I think maybe this is how it works.

Have an endless list of social assistance programs that are incredibly difficult to qualify for. You need a normal person's help to get the assistance. Have highly visible FREE volunteers. Have highly visible limited number of parking lots that nobody uses because it is so hard to get a handicap permit.

So lots of programs ON PAPER but in reality low usage hence SAVE COST hence normal people enjoy life and can still say there is an endless list of assistance programs for the needy.

doc, maybe u could consider joining a corporate medical supplies company to sell their equipments or drugs to clinics and hospitals worldwide.