• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Canadian PR

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Doc, have been following a fair no. of ur posts and I feel that u r really a very nice person.

That aside, if uve done medicine in Spore, can u not take conversion courses in Canada & use the experience in Spore 2 practice medicine in Canada?

Take a couple of exams then apply for residency. Then take more exams then finally get board certified.

It is possible but will take a couple of years.

I am not so nice lah. :biggrin:

exSINgaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
Loser, don't blame your name and colours.

I have been in Canada for 20 years and yet to trully see a discrimination. Actually we Chinese discriminate more!

If he is not as good as the local don't give excuses.

I still hold to my surname "CHAN".....what discrimination I got these 20 yrs? I have loads of clients who are whites.

These new immigrants should go to Singapore.....that's the only place where the govt. worship them.

Or just go back home. Losers cannot make it in Canada will never be able to make it in anywhere.

Damn it I hate these fools blaming a system which takes care of my whole family. If they cannot make it, speak with a funny accent that even I do not understand them, who are they to blame.

In fact I have yet heard of any of my fellow Singaporeans, Malaysian or Indonesian or Phillipino friends complain about discrimination. We are so happy here.......because we work hard and learn to speak good English.

If you cannot speak like a local Canadian then for f*&5 sake speak slower to let people understand you.

sally

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe what the Province say, more than what a fellow by the name of "Chan" say. No hard feelings. :biggrin:

exSINgaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
nayr69s:

"I have a couple of friends and relatives who tell me stories of their friends and relatives who migrated and "could not find a job" so went back to Singapore. Good for them. Good for us.

What jobs they were looking for? General Manager or Directors?

Come on, I worked as a Life Insurance agent now and also had work in the post-office, delivered newpapers at 3 am in winter mornings, call centres and got screw by the US "nice people" saying the don't understand my English even before I say beyond "Hello".....

My wife started in a run-down car workshop 12 years ago earning only basic pay and now works in a dealer shop earning $75,000 per year.

Come on are they ready to take a low pay and low rank job to prove themselves. Work in 7-Eleven and work their way up. I know of a ex-Singapore army offier who work as a general helper in IGA....he even wash toilets. He was a co-operate trainer in Singapore ....big gun. He is what I call: "Gentleman can lift things up and put them down".....just work la.

These Singaporeans who can't find jobs in this Alberta economy deserved to go back to Singapore to be screwed by Lee Kuan Yew the old fox. I have no time for them.

nay69, by the way, if you immigrate to Canada on a medical doctor's ticket, I would encourage you to practice as a doctor. I respect your feelings and "bad" experince as a doctor in Singapore but I believe Canada has a quota for immigrating each professional and trades group. You have filled one of the vacancy and we hope you keep to your profession to take care of us....our love ones and kids and friends.

I came in as a Life Insurance Agent. You don't have to agree with me, but it is a plain fact that my profession has a far worse perception and reception in Singapore than you.

Just imagine, I was at a guard room in a factory in Singapore, I was NOT allowed to go in to see a client but a toilet plumbling was allowed to go in. The reason is that they were too many life insurance agents who once got into the factory, moved from desk to desk to solicate for business. To make it worse, one life insurance co was well-known to have have lady agents going around in Indonesia providing extra services!

So please lah, count yourself lucky to be a doctor....you should have at least a bit more respect than me in Singapore.

Now, I hope you have visited the emergency room in Edmonton. Look at the amount of people waiting for a doctor. The wait is 3 to 7 hours. The newspaper reported on it lately. I can't dream of such many people wanting me to insure them.

People are dying without proper medical help. You know better. So I plead with you for the first and last time to do your side of the bargain if have been granted the immigration visa on a doctors ticket.

I kept my side of my bargain to stick as a life insurance agent. I could have gone back to work as a Instrumentation and Control Engineer or a technician because I also have a First Class Hons in this discipline. I could have earned from the first year own earned at least Can $100,000 per year instead of started with jsut $5,000 per year for the first few years. But I kept my side of the bargain.

We need doctor and this is life-and-death issue we are facing in Alberta. The cold weather does not help either.

Friend think about it and the situation in the emergency room here is on a crisis level.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
It is not so much how much "respect" I got from patients. It is the things that I had to do to get that "respect" or "make the customer happy" that made me lose my self respect.

I understand what you are saying. At least you know what you are selling. And if people don't buy, they don't come around later on to sue you because they made a bad decision and are suffering the consequences of it.

As a doctor, if you don't make the "sale" and the customer doesn't "understand", later on he can come back with some cock and bull story about how bad you were and did not "explain properly" and how they were "not in the right frame of mind so how can you expect them to decide properly" etc etc.

It's like a loaded gun to your head. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. People need to grow up and take responsibility for their decisions. You go to see the doctor to consult him for his opinion. Not for him to validate your opinions! After a while it is too much to care too much. But when you stop caring and are just "doing your job", the conscience weighs heavy too.

Which is why this new found freedom that I have is so liberating. No more godlike ridiculous expectations on me. No more worry that I could have made a human mistake or been pressured somehow into making choices the customer wanted but I disagreed as a professional only to get into trouble later on. In Singapore there is little backing to medical professionals to do the right things. And it all started with "The Customer is Always Right". Just ask all those service recovery people who wish they could just sit down at their desks and surf the internet everyday with nothing to do because the doctors are all "doing their job". Instead they are super busy having to call and suck up to the spoilt brats complaining about every little thing. And here's the best part - IT IS ALWAYS THE DOCTOR'S FAULT BECAUSE THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT.

Yeah right. Don't worry, I will try my best to get my license. Even if I don't want to work as a doctor, I still want to be able to help my friends and family here. I don't know how the system is like in Canada. But I want to be able to choose who I want to help. I did not become a doctor to become a slave.

In any case, don't push all these doctor shortage, long wait times at emergency room problems at me. It's not my doing. I am not in Singapore. I am here. If the government lets me help I will help. But they won't let me just yet. So be patient. I am also going to be patient. It is very easy for them to "solve" the problem. Just follow the Singapore model. But then that's not what we want either right?

exSINgaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
[QUOTE=nayr69sg:

I respectfully disagree with you.

As a life insurance agent if the customer we try to sell to refuses to buy then we jolly well get them sign a waiver....if not even 30 years later their grandchildren can come back to sue us!

If we do investments for them....if we lose money, we get screwed. If we made money for them we can also get screwed bec. they say we do not make enough. No kidding. I feel hurt and I will never want my son to be a life insurance agent ....it can come in all fancy names...Financial Advisor, financial consultuant, risk managemnt consultant etc.

We have a few life insurance agents Toronto in last few years bec. of the market crash committed suicide. Lucky I was not burnt that much.

My friend, we cannot practice without the Professional Liabililty and the worse part is that there are lots of workshops for lawyers to teach them how to sue us. You see, for lawyers to learn life insurance products is easier than for them to learn all your medical terms. So it is easier sue us than to sue a doctor.

let me give you an e.g ...say if we insured a person for $100,000 then he dies say 6 years later.....we can get sued for not insuring them more....we need to proof our fact finding and all the reviews in the 6 years.....alamat just two or three cases in 5 years can kill our career bec. our Professional Liability insurance premium will sky rocket.

About 17 years ago, when I first came I was sued by the son of the deceased bec. the claim was declined. They called me up to get life insurance for the mother. She died 4 months later. During the claim process, the life ins co found out she was asked to go for a kind of cancer examination. But before she went, she took insurance from me and she did not tell me about the medical exam to be done.

That incident still haunts me.

Friend, our case can come back 30 to 40 years to haunt us. Even after we retire, we must continue to take some sort of "residue" life insurance professional liabililty just in case we are sued during our retirement.

You are right.....what you are doing in a job free yu from all this responsibilies. I got the same feeling when I worked in the call centre. No matter how bad the customer can shout at us over the phone, I know for sure once I am out of the call centre main door, I am a FREE man. No worry. No one is going to sue me. Honestly I enjoyed it. But then we were laid off.

The only way out completely is when we die or win this Fridays' Supermax of $50 million....wish me good luck.

exSINgaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
nayr69sg:

Oh I forgot to wish you a Merry Christmas!

When are we going to meet up?

Come to my home to see my basement Wing Chun Kung fu gym on the evening that I am not teaching. One of my Lebanese student is very good. He's 6' 1" and very powerful. I am proud of him

Just after I wrote the previous reply to you, I check on the 649 and there's one winner. I better go down to my basement to check my number to see whether I am the winner for the Can $7 million.

If I am, you can hear my shouting from your kitchen window even you live 10 miles away!

Merry Christmas to you and all those who read and to all Singapore escapees in ice bos Edmonton.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I guess life insurance agents in Canada have it harder than those in Singapore then. I have never heard of sales people being sued in Singapore. North America is a more litigious region I suppose.

Nobody's job is easy. It's a matter of give and take. "Big headaches, big money, small headaches, small money"

When it comes to these situations, my personal view is that we should respect and let these professionals do what they do and not interfere with their decisions as third parties. After all they are liable for their decisions.

Curiously, do you get higher authorities in your organization asking you to do wrong things for your customers just to make them happy and then having you hold the liabilities and consequences?

Merry X'mas to you and your family exSINGAPOREAN! I heard a loud thud just now. You won ar!

exSINgaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
[QUOTE=nayr69sg

"Curiously, do you get higher authorities in your organization asking you to do wrong things for your customers just to make them happy and then having you hold the liabilities and consequences?"

No never in my experince in Canada. Never will happen because we are independent agents and we ahve no boss to boss us.

It never happened to me when I was in the call centre. In fact those supervisors and managers were very protective of us. They side us most of the time and I even saw my team leader shouted back at the US customer for being rude to me.

That noise is not from me. I was about to go down to my basement then your message came. Better go now in case there is fire...lol.

This might be the last time you hear from me as a common man....the next mins I "might" or will the the 7 million dollars man.....remember the 1970s show "6 million dollars man"?

Bye.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
nayr69sg "Curiously said:
Haha! Good luck man!

Well as a doctor is Singapore there have been umpteen times where I have had to compromise on my professional values for the sake of "service". Doctors have little support or protection on a personal level (suing the public doctor means suing the government and you know how that goes). Just look at the newspapers and you will know. Doctor bashing everywhere. In Singapore doctors get bashed more than politicians and almost never ever sue the perpetrator. Chihuahuas tied to trees for you to beat them up. Bark a lot, never bite and even if they do, won't kill you so just beat them more.

exSINgaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
Alamat miss by 5 numbers! Just 5 numbers I would have be a 7 million dollar man.

Let's forget about the serious talk and go to paint ball.

We should org a group of Singapore guys who had seerved N.S. to do paint ball shooting.

You....captain.
Kelvin....lietanent in the navy.
Edmund...lietanent in the army.
Edward....Sergent in the army
I ....lance coporal ...highest rank from bottom up.

Then we have Edmund's 16 year old son and my 14 3/4 yr old son (experienced shooter....gone for battle at least 30 times) by April next year.

Seven of us are enough to form a team. We can find a similar size team to shoot.

After one game, I bet you will be hooked......addicted.

April should be good bec. it would not be too hot. Open air in the "jungle" warfare and built-up area (rooms and inside large buses) are more fun that shooting in the sheltered hall during winter.

We could even get a larger group.

How about that?

mayliewwan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Competitive, Greedy, Selfish and Status Conscious

Just heard this from my relative. Do you know In Edmonton, a Merc owner has to pay $500 for an oil change? Every 5000km, it will cost $500. Oil change at Mister Lube is around $70??? Even cheaper at Canadian Tire and it includes tire rotation

With this money one can already buy a low end Merz or a good BMW.

exSINgaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal

Just heard this from my relative. Do you know In Edmonton, a Merc owner has to pay $500 for an oil change? Every 5000km, it will cost $500. Oil change at Mister Lube is around $70??? Even cheaper at Canadian Tire and it includes tire rotation

May:

Not sure how you come about that high price.

I drove a Merz (old one but shine one la) for about 5 years and never got into such experiences even if I have gone to the main dealer in the Weber Centre.

My wife works for the Toyota Dealership and she had work for some general car repair workshop, she tells me that no way there is such a high charge for a oil change unless it also include maintanence cum repair. Normally when the car (any car) go for the routine 8,000 to 10,000 KM or every 6 months, it also go through a maintainence check bythe dealer workshop. They might spot some problems. Generally dealers do not hau siu .... if they say the car needs repair, it sure is the case.

Whereas, if you go to Mr Lube, they do not do such check except some 30 to 40 points check.

My wife just came besides me to tell me if the Merc uses Synthetic oil then it could cost $100 but then it would not be 5,000 km to change oil......it's 10,000 km.

Hope this helps and don't let any misinfo. frightens you from buying a Merz.....they are very good steady cars and worth your money. If you take care of it, you practically have no issues for years.....no C.O.E. in Edmonton. Buy a brand new one.....it can last your life span. Get a low end one and it costs less than a truck or a Toyota sedan.

It's not that I ya ya, but the COE we pay in Singapore is enough to buy a low end Merz here. Life is short, if you can enjoy driving your dream car....alamat why not.

May, contact me, and I will drive you in my NEW Merz for lunch.......I mean in my dream la.....can joke or not? LOL

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

Why so obsessed with Mercedes? BMW?

Seldom see such cars around Edmonton actually.

See them more often in Singapore. Singaporean must drive Mercedes or BMW hor? Don't drive means "low class" right?

Back in Singapore I remember very clearly. If you see a car breakdown having to be towed away, 7 out of 10 times it will be a BMW or Mercedes. Just last Friday I saw a car that brokedown in the middle of the road and was going to be towed away. It was a Mercedes. No surprises.

Considering the actual number of Mercedes cars and BMWs versus Toyotas and Japanese cars, I would say the incidence of breakdowns among the former group is much higher.

I will probably only buy such cars if I own a company that has to fetch rich asian business partners around. I would never want to drive such cars myself. But that's just me.

If you ever drive on the PIE/ECP in Singapore and there is a car tailgating you, flashing headlights at you, I think 75% chance it will be a BMW. Spray your windshield fluid and dirty water will get all over the tailgater! Sweet revenge! In Singapore all cars are washed daily by maids so squeaky clean cars are common. You dirty someone's car they heartache man!

In Canada, snow dirt and slush, wash already dirty by the end of the day so most cars are dirty anyway. Different country, different culture lah.

mayliewwan

Alfrescian
Loyal

My relative has a friend that works at Budget rental who told her that Budget 's own mechanics are not allowed to 'service' Merc and must sent to Webber??? for servicing. Each service comes to $500 and is largely oil change and inspection, something Budget's own mechanics can do but not allowed to do

Another relative's neighbour used to own an Audi. He dumped the car for a Toyota because maintenance and servicing was so expensive. The irony is that the guy works at Part Sources

May:

Not sure how you come about that high price.

Last edited:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

My relative has a friend that works at Budget rental who told her that Budget 's own mechanics are not allowed to 'service' Merc and must sent to Webber??? for servicing. Each service comes to $500 and is largely oil change and inspection, something Budget's own mechanics can do but not allowed to do

Another relative's neighbour used to own an Audi. He dumped the car for a Toyota because maintenance and servicing was so expensive. The irony is that the guy works at Part Sources

Hmm the Budget one sounds suspicious. Maybe one of those left hand pay right hand type of business?

Even in Singapore maintenance of European cars is more expensive than Jap cars.

I don't understand your point May. What's so important about owning a Merc/BMW/Audi/Volvo/Volkswagen/Peugeot/etc etc?

Everywhere in the world it is "more expensive" to buy and maintain than Jap economic cars. So it is for "rich" people?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I think merc bmws are marketed as premium cars.

Isn't it kind of silly to try to 'justify' that they are affordable or even 'cheap' to own and maintain?

I don't see such discussions about ferraris porsches and lambourghinis.

ponzii

Alfrescian
Loyal

Never go to the dealer! We call them the stealership for a reason.

Go to Craigslist and get an indie to do your service. Service A should be $100 and Service B Should be $300 tops.

Even cheaper buy your own Mobil 1 from Walmart or Canadian Tire and get any local shop to change for you.

Never ever ever go to the stealership. And also join www.benzworld.org too and you can save alot of $$$$$

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Tip to be happy that everyone probably has heard of. Don't read the newspapers, don't watch the news on TV, don't listen to the news on radio. No news!

Well it was hard for me to do that in Singapore. Even if I didn't read the news, people would talk about it at work, or discuss about it in the forums online.

Over here I really have no contact with the news! Maybe that's why I have this sense of "everything is good" rather than bad.

I was just looking at some newspapers at Macdonald's the other day and I counted the number of "bad news" versus "good news" in each page. Shocking but true. More than 9 out of 10 articles are "bad news".

Sometimes the things we get angry over never even happened to us. It was just something we heard or read about. Silly to get angry over it don't you think?

Ok now that I have posted that I think I know what the trolls are gonna do. Haha!

ponzii

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tip to be happy that everyone probably has heard of. Don't read the newspapers, don't watch the news on TV, don't listen to the news on radio. No news!

Well it was hard for me to do that in Singapore. Even if I didn't read the news, people would talk about it at work, or discuss about it in the forums online.

Over here I really have no contact with the news! Maybe that's why I have this sense of "everything is good" rather than bad.

I was just looking at some newspapers at Macdonald's the other day and I counted the number of "bad news" versus "good news" in each page. Shocking but true. More than 9 out of 10 articles are "bad news".

Sometimes the things we get angry over never even happened to us. It was just something we heard or read about. Silly to get angry over it don't you think?

Ok now that I have posted that I think I know what the trolls are gonna do. Haha!

I only watch 1 channel on Bell Express Vu. Channel 510 BBC which is much better than CTN or CNN the news can drive you crazy.