• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Canadian PR

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
All in the news. Even this for BC. It was in the news on Friday. http://business.financialpost.com/2...assive-shale-gas-field-in-b-c/?__lsa=d15495aa

Toronto mostly business and financial services. The IT sector is still ok here. After this stint of 1 year, I will move towards BC. East BC.

Now that I do work in the oil & gas industry, I know how to discern the news.

The Apache find is startling but in the short term it doesn't do much. As the CEO said, they have no current plans to develop the well.

The Canadian challenge now is in getting their pipelines built so that they have access to more customers besides the USA. Canadian oil is sold at a huge discount to the traded per barrel prices on the markets because there is only one customer - USA. Which is why they want the Gateway Pipeline. However there is a lot of resistance from the BC folk. Understandably, no one wants the risk of oil spills in their backyard.

Natural gas has fallen in price tremendously because of a glut in supply from shale gas. Which is another reason why the Apache find doesn't do much in the short term.

Canada has too small a market - 30+ million people for all that oil and gas. But those resources cannot find their way into Asian markets.

Hence the big money in the short term is really going to be the pipeline constructions. They need the deals rubber stamped first. In the meantime they need to ramp up the workforce to build it (Canada doesn't have enough welders, carpenters, etc). I know some tradesmen who were signed on, and then laid off temporarily because of the Keystone delay by Obama. Not so simple.

If the pipeline are built then it will lead to more growth in the oil & gas industry in Canada. But without those pipelines it is hard to see things moving much forward at this point.

There are many small or intermediate pipeline projects at the moment but less new wells and bids for mineral rights. The Alberta government nowadays issues short term surface leases for wells and pipelines. So if you want to drill the well, you have 4 years to prove it is a producer and build the pipelines etc. Until they have access to the markets all that extra oil and gas has no where to go.

The main oil & gas industry is in Alberta. Not BC. Somehow though I still see this reluctance of Singaporeans to come to Alberta.

Finance is not a big thing in Canada. Bankers cannot compare to oil & gas. Engineers make more money than bankers in Canada.

You have to be in Alberta to see it to believe it.

googleplexes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Depends on whether they want to increase the population too. Most of Ontario heat in winter is consumed from Alberta. 14B people using the gas accounts for something. I see the BC gas as a future for expansion. Needs a buyer for the gas. Alaska?

Finance is big for Toronto because of NY. But the cap for TSX cannot compare to NYSE. For all of Canada, oil and gas is the way to go.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Depends on whether they want to increase the population too. Most of Ontario heat in winter is consumed from Alberta. 14B people using the gas accounts for something. I see the BC gas as a future for expansion. Needs a buyer for the gas. Alaska?

Finance is big for Toronto because of NY. But the cap for TSX cannot compare to NYSE. For all of Canada, oil and gas is the way to go.

Yup. Which was why I came to Alberta without any useful skills whatsoever.

However I think the majority of Singaporeans still choose Toronto and Vancouver. Even you chose Toronto first and BC next. Province to province things are different.

For example for geomatics, the land legal system is different in BC from Alberta. Albert uses the dominion land survey system. BC is a different one. And the east cost is also different. Alberta has the ERCB. I think BC is a different body.

This is why there is much internal migration to Alberta. Personally, I would rather less people move to Alberta, but it is hard to deny that is what the smart and motivated people will be doing.

googleplexes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Support services like IT is also booming in AB. Most of my classmates moved there into Calgary. A Japanese and an Indian. I didn't move because I want to take a chance here to get employment which I have got it. So to stick it out for 12 months and see what to do next. My original plan was head for Calgary too.

I have lived in Ontario, stayed like 2 weeks in BC, so the plan was to head for Calgary to see if I like it there too. Experience the AB winter and compare with ON winters. But from what I heard, it is the dry air that is terrible in AB. Even Ang Mo from ON going there buay tahan the dry air in winter.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Support services like IT is also booming in AB. Most of my classmates moved there into Calgary. A Japanese and an Indian. I didn't move because I want to take a chance here to get employment which I have got it. So to stick it out for 12 months and see what to do next. My original plan was head for Calgary too.

I have lived in Ontario, stayed like 2 weeks in BC, so the plan was to head for Calgary to see if I like it there too. Experience the AB winter and compare with ON winters. But from what I heard, it is the dry air that is terrible in AB. Even Ang Mo from ON going there buay tahan the dry air in winter.

I like the dry winter. I like it when the temperature stays below -20. The snow is like powder. It doesn't stick together. It doesn't melt and refreeze forming black ice. So the roads are not as slippery.

Also wet cold feels much colder even at -10 degrees.

I somehow get the feeling you will probably go to Toronto or BC. Alberta weather is not for you.

starstar

Alfrescian
Loyal
I like the dry winter. I like it when the temperature stays below -20. The snow is like powder. It doesn't stick together. It doesn't melt and refreeze forming black ice. So the roads are not as slippery.

Also wet cold feels much colder even at -10 degrees.

I somehow get the feeling you will probably go to Toronto or BC. Alberta weather is not for you.

Hi nayr69sg, how about the humidity in Saskatchewan especially Regina and Saskatoon area, is the summer as hot and humid as Singapore?

googleplexes, how much in total did you spend on your diploma education excluding the frequent airfares you flew back :p

googleplexes

Alfrescian
Loyal
26K for fees. Flights? Wait for Cheaptickets.com Sometimes good offers. Fly through Narita so that you are entitled 2 luggage. From anywhere is only 1 and you have to pay for the other. SIN-NRT-YRV or direct to Edmonton or Calgary.

Humidity near water areas are higher than Alberta or Saskatchewan. They are more inland. My nose bleeds often in winter even in Toronto. So Alberta and Saskatchewan weather might aggravate it.

After -15 there usually clear skies and no snow. We do have that in Toronto. Nearing winter or ending winter is where the slush comes in. It is not the cold that makes it feel cold. It is the wind. It can be drying as well. Your face feels stretched after the wind blows on it.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Hi nayr69sg, how about the humidity in Saskatchewan especially Regina and Saskatoon area, is the summer as hot and humid as Singapore?

googleplexes, how much in total did you spend on your diploma education excluding the frequent airfares you flew back :p

I don't know exactly how the weather is like in Sask. But I reckon it is similar to that in Edmonton as we are in the Prairies?

But I do know the difference between dry cold and wet cold because we can have both in Edmonton. Wet cold is when there is precipitation and the temperature is around -5 to +5(day time) and the snow melts during the day and refreezes at night. - everything becomes icy.

I gather that's the same type of conditions Vancouver gets. They have more rain than snow.

Summer can be hot, but it is not a sustained type of hot. The nights are cool. Humidity is no where near Singapore. If you can survive Singapore's weather the "hot" summer in the prairies is nothing.

googleplexes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just hope for rain or snow and not in betweens. The in betweens, slush is a very messy affair. You cannot really shovel it or brush it. Then you hope the temperature do not drop further else it is clump of ice stuck to the ground.

googleplexes

Alfrescian
Loyal
starstar, try to avoid flying through the US. The customs check and immigration checks are a chore. Especially through O' Hare, Chicago. Miss connects are frequent. Happened to me once.

Flying United is not the best of all airlines. Air Canada is a lot better here in North America but don't expect SIA standards. It is worth that $200 USD more. Cheaptickets.com only transacts in USD.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Hey googleplexes, just curious but what does your wife intend to do when she comes over? What industry is she in?

I know much has been said about the dry weather and all. Initially I used quite a bit of moisturizer. But later on the body adapted. I also use Glysomed Hand Cream for everything. Very Good stuff.

The dryness is off and on. In fact I think Alberta gets a quite a lot of precipitation. We've had rain almost everyday past week. And for my first winter there was record snowfall. I don't even feel the "dryness" at all since I got through my first winter.

I think all this is a personal preference. I prefer cold. -40 degrees with windchill or +30 degrees with 99% humidity? I will take the former anytime. I just have to put on the right clothes, and balaclava etc. When shoveling snow I get so hot underneath even at -30 degrees I have to take off my bomber hat and even winter jacket at times! I produce a LOT of heat! I suppose the cold is not for everyone.

However I think the idea that Vancouver and Toronto have "milder" winters can be a misnomer because winter is still winter and if you don't like cold and dont like dressing up in layers then Canada will not be for you for half of the year wherever you go.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Just hope for rain or snow and not in betweens. The in betweens, slush is a very messy affair. You cannot really shovel it or brush it. Then you hope the temperature do not drop further else it is clump of ice stuck to the ground.

Yup and then need to scatter salt.

I loved my first winter. There was so much snow and temperatures kept below -20 and all the snow that fell was just powder. Take a leaf blower and blow away. Sweep with broom. Couldn't even make snowballs till spring. But superb for tobagganing and skiing.

googleplexes

Alfrescian
Loyal
She? I think shake leg first. She is in the same industry as Cecilia Sue. LOL

My nose cannot take it most of the time. Bleed. I am ok with the wind and dressing up. Air that I need to breathe makes the nose bleed. I prefer the cold too. The ang mo who went there, another IT guy, his skin cracked around his ears and bled. He lived in Ontario most of the time. His comment was the dry air not the cold that he can bear.

My winter here was on and off. 2010 winter was mild. 2011 back to usual. 2012 which I missed most of winter was milder than 2010.

Lowest here was -18 but dumped snow like crazy. Especially London. For non-Canadians that is London, Ontario not London, UK.

I prefer to dress only 3 layers. Thermal, usual indoor clothes and outer wear. Turn the heat down indoors. So that I can keep wearing like that without the outer wear.

Those intending to come during any season other than winter, do not buy the winter wear from Winter Time or Cold Wear in Singapore. The winter wear here is "certified" here for Canadian weather. You might buy the wrong stuff in Singapore.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
She? I think shake leg first. She is in the same industry as Cecilia Sue. LOL

My nose cannot take it most of the time. Bleed. I am ok with the wind and dressing up. Air that I need to breathe makes the nose bleed. I prefer the cold too. The ang mo who went there, another IT guy, his skin cracked around his ears and bled. He lived in Ontario most of the time. His comment was the dry air not the cold that he can bear.

My winter here was on and off. 2010 winter was mild. 2011 back to usual. 2012 which I missed most of winter was milder than 2010.

Lowest here was -18 but dumped snow like crazy. Especially London. For non-Canadians that is London, Ontario not London, UK.

I prefer to dress only 3 layers. Thermal, usual indoor clothes and outer wear. Turn the heat down indoors. So that I can keep wearing like that without the outer wear.

Those intending to come during any season other than winter, do not buy the winter wear from Winter Time or Cold Wear in Singapore. The winter wear here is "certified" here for Canadian weather. You might buy the wrong stuff in Singapore.

IT? If I recall correctly you are also in IT right googleplex? Skin crack around the ears? Most likely he kena frostbite.

The windchill is no joke. Must wear toque or something to windshield the ears. Especially if going outdoors for long periods of time. My favorite is the balaclava when I go skiing. Otherwise my bomber hat is good enough.

I noticed one thing about the ang moh, although they live in Canada there are a number who don't know how to dress up for the winter. I mean seriously, it's Canada. No one is going to laugh at you because you want to hear a toque when it is minus 30 plus wind chill.

I don't wear thermals. Just a light long sleeve type t-shirt on the inside, a zip up sweater and the outer winter jacket for the top. Bottom it's just my jeans. If I go skiing then I wear my thermal pants plus ski pants.

Surprisingly, the winter jackets we use now were bought from Winter Time! And it works very well. We bought the highest winter rating ones in Winter Time. My suggestion is to buy some winter wear (get the highest rating ones at winter time around $$90 for adult) take the family to Korea during winter to experience -5 to -14. Test run.

We go skiing quite a bit and literally spend the whole day in -20 degrees and the most important clothing is actually the balaclava or scarf or something to cover the face and neck for wind and GLOVES and foot warmers! Usually the limiting factor on how long you can tahan is how long your hands and feet can tahan the cold. Not the body.

googleplexes

Alfrescian
Loyal
He did wear a toque. He ear lobes got it. I think that is the part that is not covered.

I went to Korea last winter with the family. Winter Time stuff cannot make it leh for my little girls and in-laws. The stuff we bought from Japan and Canada worked better. Leather jackets are best from Danier here. I have 2, one fall and one winter trench. Thin but heavy yet effective. I always lose scarves, so now I prefer to use a snood. Gloves better from Uniqlo. Only Japan Uniqlo has them not Singapore. They fit Asian hands better, those from Danier for leather even at small is larger. The thermals from Uniqlo are the best. Thin and effective. They brand them as "Heat Ware"

The street stalls in Seoul have plenty of affordable and stylish winter wear and gear for Asian sizes. Especially the hands and ears.

Since there is a considerable number of Asians in Canada and usually more fashion conscious, sounds like an opportunity. I find ang mo not that fashion conscious in winter. Even the ang mo comment that us Asians really know how to dress for all seasons. LOL Girls in campus, ang mo will wear sweat pants and sweat shirt. The Asian girls, wah lau, almost like Shinjuku. Dare to wear skirt in winter with thermal leggings. To us because of K Drama and J Pop, ok. Ang mo guys see liao tio yellow fever.

Especially black guys seem to like to hit on Chinese girls in campus. Must be the short skirts. .......

starstar

Alfrescian
Loyal
starstar, Saskatchewan eh? Corner Gas. Google Corner Gas. Enjoyed the show.

Leave you with this. Sawry.
Hi goggleplexes, I understand that Saskatchewan is a relatively rural area, especially in Moose Jaw where the campus is situated. Is there anything that I must take note of? Are there redneck issues or prejudice against Asian in Canada?

Taxes. After tax it is around $2k take home a month at $17/hr.

Not sure how much your increase in salary goes though. $1/hr increase a year is quite common?
This is what the school mentioned a co-op student will get during school-arranged work term and I find that 17/hr is too good to be true. And he told me it varies 17 to 33 per hour, is this the Canadian way or am I too Singaporean?

As what googleplexes said it, if I am able to secure a co-op work term in which the school will assist with, the 10+ dollar an hour will certainly help to go towards some of my living expenses.

Or is this a way to trick international students into taking up a course with them? The school in question is SIAST from Saskatchewan.

starstar, try to avoid flying through the US. The customs check and immigration checks are a chore. Especially through O' Hare, Chicago. Miss connects are frequent. Happened to me once.

Flying United is not the best of all airlines. Air Canada is a lot better here in North America but don't expect SIA standards. It is worth that $200 USD more. Cheaptickets.com only transacts in USD.
Guess I'll transit via Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan or South Korea. Is it advisable to book separately for domestic flights inland or book one-shot from Singapore to Regina?

googleplexes

Alfrescian
Loyal
1. 10.50/h is the minimum wage. So if you want 10+, there you have it. Trick? Siao boh. If $17 it is $17. I think the wages for skilled in AB and SK is quite high.

2. There is no discrimination. Just don't behave like a jerk. Things are a lot slower here. Paying at the cashier also take own sweet time. So don't kao peh. Toronto slow liao compared to Singapore. Regina? Lagi slow.

3. Most international students contribute to new facilities and libraries. :smile: Just do your part. Take one step at a time. Your goal is the work permit, not all these questions that hinder your decision. Be of a single mind.

4. No direct to Regina, it is Rer Gy Na. Like in VAGINA. LOL. SIN-NRT-YVR-YQR
NRT - Narita will allow you 2 luggage each 23kg gratis.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
1. 10.50/h is the minimum wage. So if you want 10+, there you have it. Trick? Siao boh. If $17 it is $17. I think the wages for skilled in AB and SK is quite high.

2. There is no discrimination. Just don't behave like a jerk. Things are a lot slower here. Paying at the cashier also take own sweet time. So don't kao peh. Toronto slow liao compared to Singapore. Regina? Lagi slow.

3. Most international students contribute to new facilities and libraries. :smile: Just do your part. Take one step at a time. Your goal is the work permit, not all these questions that hinder your decision. Be of a single mind.

If they say $17-$33 then minimum is $17. I don't think there are any tricks to that. But you might have to contribute for employee group health insurance.

There will always be some people who will discriminate sometimes. But it is not out in the open generally. Singapore is probably one of the most discriminatory countries out there. So you won't feel anything as long as you don't imagine things.

Drive slowly on the roads also. 50km/h everybody drives at 50km/h. So you won't get honked or flash light. If someone is in a rush they will just overtake you.

Don't think so much. Just do it. If you have a job and earning money, I don't think you will ever turn back from there. The problem is usually for those people with excessively high expectations, massive egos and cannot stand to lose face who then cannot get a high paying job and thus say "cannot find" job and go back to Singapore.

starstar

Alfrescian
Loyal
starstar, Saskatchewan eh? Corner Gas. Google Corner Gas. Enjoyed the show.

Leave you with this. Sawry.

Hi, anything unusual or special about Sask that I must take note of?

2. There is no discrimination. Just don't behave like a jerk. Things are a lot slower here. Paying at the cashier also take own sweet time. So don't kao peh.
How is the life in school then? Is it taught in a slow manner with lots of self-learning opportunities or the kind of pressure-cooker system we get in Singapore?

Pardon my ignorance, I'm not familiar with airlines and airports. doesn't the decision of luggage allowance lies with the airlines? If I must go through NRT, is JAL and ANA my only options?

Don't think so much. Just do it. If you have a job and earning money, I don't think you will ever turn back from there. The problem is usually for those people with excessively high expectations, massive egos and cannot stand to lose face who then cannot get a high paying job and thus say "cannot find" job and go back to Singapore.
Hi nayr69sg, guess you had been there for almost 2-3 years, are your parents in Canada too?

I got one more question. Upon reaching there and opening a bank account in Canada, is TT the cheapest way to move funds from Singapore? I was wondering how I should pay my tuition fees.