• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Canadian PR

facadegeniality

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi star,

If you are single, I think you might want to consider renting.

Do you really need to buy a place? And what kind of housing are you looking for? A single family home is probably too big for a single guy. Maybe a condo or townhouse but the management fees are quite high. What's your objective?

Mobile homes....sorry I don't know much about that but I don't know anyone who lives in something like that.

Property prices in Edmonton have softened since the peak in 2008. It is no where as crazy as in Vancouver though. Housing affordability index for Edmonton is one of the best in Canada.

I still think you should rent to begin with until you get a job etc.

It is possible to get a mortgage without having any Canadian Credit history and any Canadian income or job. I know. I did it. So that should not be a stumbling block anymore. But as Hock pointed out, you have to be careful what property you are buying.

Rent first would be good advice especially since you are single and not sure of your future plans. Who knows you might meet someone who comes from Calgary or Toronto and end up moving there?

i used to think that i should buy first...but you hit the nail about being single and all that.. I remember reading an article about how it is better to rent a place to stay, but buying would only be for investment purposes. For renting, it is easier to switch according to needs...only downside is that there might be restrictions and may not feel like it is home.

nevetheless, I think i will be renting for a few years when i run road.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Well it all depends on your objectives and your situation.

Most people coming to a new country don't have a job yet. But some do and high paying ones too.

So if you are single got a high paying job, flush with cash and don't like the idea of paying rent which helps the landlord own the property, then go ahead and get your own.

It all depends on your objectives and situation.

starstar

Alfrescian
Loyal
To be frank, to someone like me in the 30s, I don't have much cash, most probably bringing only 10k. I am learning about the types of properties in Canada so I could have a long-term goal in life when I am over there.

I have to start all over again and I know life will be much much tougher than in Singapore but when I saw all the elderly working in stalls and picking up cans, I told myself I don't want to be cheated by the government when I am old like them. They worked hard, they do contribute to Singapore's economy but what did our government did when turned old and feeble?

Policy changes to so-called affordable housing and hidden taxes like CPF had made people disillusioned and I don't want to justify to anyone why I am making a change worst than my current lot now. I just know deep inside that I need to get out of this place before it's too late and old for me to do anything or for any country to accept me.

buzzlightyear

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have to start all over again and I know life will be much much tougher than in Singapore but when I saw all the elderly working in stalls and picking up cans, I told myself I don't want to be cheated by the government when I am old like them. They worked hard, they do contribute to Singapore's economy but what did our government did when turned old and feeble.

If these illiterate rude rubbish old people don't pick up cans and work as hawkers, who will? The young?

They worked hard? They worked hard at dropping out of school and becoming useless illiterate rude idiots. :rolleyes:

Hock

Alfrescian
Loyal
For all those who are applying for Canadian PR under Federal Skilled Worker category, new regulation effective from July 1.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2011/2011-06-24a.asp

Now, for applicants who do not have an offer of employment in Canada, the government will further limit the number of new federal skilled worker applications that are considered for processing to 10,000 a year, beginning July 1. This limit will help better align the number of applications with labour market demand. Within the 10,000 limit, a maximum of 500 new applications in each of the current 29 priority occupations will be considered.

In addition, the Minister is introducing a cap of 700 on new federal investor applications. Although last year, CIC made changes that raised the minimum net worth and investment requirements, it continues to receive applications in excess of what is required. An annual cap on new applications will allow for progress on backlog reduction while ensuring that the Department has a sufficient volume of new files to meet its commitments.

ak168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wendy and all:

Again my name is Bernard CHAN living in Edmonton since mid 1991 after immigrated from Singapore....

Just an update for those who are following this thread earlier on page 9 ,10,11,12. Our friend Kenny had passed away on 2nd July (4 days ago) about 7am here in Edmonton. Those who wanna pay him a last respect can do so with the following detail :
The funeral service will be on Saturday, July 9 at 9.00am:

Hainstock’s Funeral Home
9810-34 Avenue.
Viewing will be on Friday July 8 from 7-9pm, Followed by the burial probably at Rosehill Cemetery (Ellerslie)

By the way, I just got an update on Asychee's case today from a friend and would like to share them. Asychee and wife still have the cheek to appeal. As a result in Feb'11 more information were leaked out from the horses' mouth. More than 40 cases/complaints were involved across Canada and Korea while the verdict remain unchanged.It is a public information available on the internet from Government of Alberta http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/pdf/Appeals/Mabis_Appeal_decision.pdf.

Last edited:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Alberta just completed their elections for the Premier.

They have an interesting system.

Round one there are 6 candidates. If no single candidate wins 50% of all votes, it goes to a second round of voting with the top 3 candidates.

In the second round, every voter can vote for their 1st choice and 2nd choice (should the 1st not win). Second round voting if no candidate out of the 3 wins >50% of the votes, the last placed candidate will drop out. The second choice on the last placed candidate's votes will be added to the total for the remaining two. And whoever of the two has more votes will then win.

So it went like this in second round of voting.

Gary Mar has 42%
Allison Redford 37%
Doug Horner 21%

So Horner dropped out and the second choice votes were added to Mar and Redford's tallies.

End result

Gary Mar 48.9%
Allison Redford 51.1%

So Redford wins. Even though Gary Mar was the frontrunner all the time and won a strong number of votes with each round of voting, he still lost in the end.

I think back to Singapore's Presidential elections. If they had used this system.......

First round, TT, TCB, TJS, TKL. TKL drops out.

Second round, TT,TCB, TJS. TT cannot get >50% of votes. So TJS drops out. TJS second choice votes added to TT and TCB's.

How many who voted TJS would have voted TT as second choice?

Surely TCB would have then won.

You get it? Well this is the system in Canada. Which is why we have different government which is more reflective of what the majority of people want.

I say....GOOD SYSTEM. No splitting of votes type strategy from the big power players. You really have to work hard to win the majority. Not just first choice but second choice as well.

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Alberta just completed their elections for the Premier.

I say....GOOD SYSTEM. No splitting of votes type strategy from the big power players. You really have to work hard to win the majority. Not just first choice but second choice as well.

It is similar to the preferential system in OZ except we do not need to go second round (Canada is using First past the post Plurality voting). I am living in a state with minority Coalition govt and a country with minority Labor-Green govt. What can be worse than that? LOL

My Premier just discovered that he will need to buy Australian coal from either the Indians or the Chinese after they have been sold off. :biggrin: (One to India last year, another to Chinese while he was in China a few weeks ago)
I can tell you that he is not very pleased. oops!

I am used to it. I buy Australian abalone from Singapore and HK. :biggrin:
OK. Sometimes, I get them locally. excess stock leftover from Asia.

Isn't Harper going to the polls for the 5th time in 7 years?

I say, your sugguestion is too unpredictable for LKY's comfort. :rolleyes:

OZ Preferential voting system
The number of possible complete rankings with no ties is the factorial of the number of candidates, N, but with ties it is equal to the corresponding ordered Bell number and is asymptotic to
7315939cac96d01ce8ed061662ae0108.png
In the case common to IRV in which no ties are allowed, except for unranked candidates who are tied for last place, the number of possible rankings for N candidates is precisely

69dadd94279fb71605fe91129cd82946.png

which is asymptotic to (e-1)N!

Last edited:

starstar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Goodday, hasn't heard from all those in Canada for some time.

How's everything up north? Hope to hear some interesting stories from anyone of you there.

I got a question, is it easier to live in Canada as a blue-collar worker on general?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
If you are a visible and audible minority in Singapore and originate from the west, the streets will be paved with gold for you in Singapore.

Just wait till you grow old and have to pay for cancer treatment. Please don't go back to Canada ok?

ashjaw

Alfrescian
Loyal
He must be joking when he said this: Singapore's permanent residence application form is only four pages of double-sided paper, yet it is a lot stricter

and this is definitely not true: Singapore initially only gives you a work visa, not permanent residence. You only can apply for permanent residence after working here for a few years. Unless you are running your own business, the permanent residence application has to be signed by your employer and it is by no means guaranteed you will receive it.

I know someone who has not even stepped foot in sgp and when he did for the first time, applied PR and got it.

Anyway, Foreign Talents have got their set of privileges which is different from those who are born and bred in sgp.

CanuckSG

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi starstar,

The quality of life here is definitely better than SG. But the slower pace comes with a trade-off. Me and my family literally had to slow to a near standstill in order to match the pace! But our competitive edge in terms of our high work rate would put us in a good position. Having said that, this advantage is also a double-edged knife. Co-workers may feel threatened as the leadership team would often give a pat on your back. Learn to 'slack' a little and you should be fine :smile:

Blue collar workers(depending on industry), aren't necessarily paid less than white-collar(typical office or retail jobs). There's a minimum wage in place here. Retail Associates is typically between CAD$10-14/hr depending on experience. But a general contractor fetches CAD$25/hr.

Goodday, hasn't heard from all those in Canada for some time.

How's everything up north? Hope to hear some interesting stories from anyone of you there.

I got a question, is it easier to live in Canada as a blue-collar worker on general?

Last edited:

AndroAsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was looking at Canadian immigration, and I'm quite confused. Maybe for those of you who have made it to Canada, could help me out?

According to their website, to immigrate to Canada under "Skilled workers and professionals" category, if one applies via the route for "have a valid offer of arranged employment" and meet the requirement of one-year work experience, then the application will be processed via the points system.

I did the calculation, and assuming I have a job offer from Canada, I have more than sufficient points to qualify. So, does this means that I will get Permanent Residency immediately or is it only a temporary work visa like the US H1-B? I'm assuming it is the former, since there is another section dedicated to getting a work permit (which I think is like a H1-B).

Last edited:

CanuckSG

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi,

Look under "Eligibility criteria for federal skilled worker applications as of July 1, 2011"

The 1-year work experience prerequisite refers to your current/previous employment. Go for the points system. I would say the probability of a 'arranged employment' is a long shot. Even you'd managed to secure one, it would be a issued 'work permit' and not PR. Don't trust anyone telling you they can arrange a 'lobang' for you. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

The PR route is the best...it may take a while to have it approved(assuming you met the criteria and the relevant background checks). Mine(and my family) took 4years+ but it's worth the wait.

Was looking at Canadian immigration, and I'm quite confused. Maybe for those of you who have made it to Canada, could help me out?

According to their website, to immigrate to Canada under "Skilled workers and professionals" category, if one applies via the route for "have a valid offer of arranged employment" and meet the requirement of one-year work experience, then the application will be processed via the points system.

I did the calculation, and assuming I have a job offer from Canada, I have more than sufficient points to qualify. So, does this means that I will get Permanent Residency immediately or is it only a temporary work visa like the US H1-B? I'm assuming it is the former, since there is another section dedicated to getting a work permit (which I think is like a H1-B).