• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Canadian / Australian / Overseas Singaporean Thread

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow, did not know that. I do recall that in the 70s, Vancouver became popular with those associated with SIA and those who did their Colombo Plan scholarship studies there.

Yeah, heard about the Malays leaving.

The first wave of Gragos went to canada, I know several who settled in Calgary, Vancouver, and even Toronto. Subsequent waves went almost exclusively to Australia. The worrisome part is that I know some malay families who have also emigrated to western countries like canada and spain. They never used to leave. Maybe Golden Dragon knows Wilfred Skinner?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Properties in Spain, Portugal and Greece are going for a song. Cost of living is also cheaper. If you love fish cuisines, these are the places to go.

For those who have plenty of cash, you can invest 500000 euros into the portugual property market and you can get a visa. You will get access to the entire EU.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree. The Malaysians of that era were the same. They kept their citizenship.

From talking to my friends who have left, very few actually renounce and take out their CPF. They are too kiasu to do so and want to hold on to the sinkie passport 'just in case". So this method of tracking is not accurate. Also, minors are not required to produce a police good conduct certificate, only the adults in the family. Some I know off, don;t even sell their flats, that is how kiasu they are.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
For those who have plenty of cash, you can invest 500000 euros into the portugual property market and you can get a visa. You will get access to the entire EU.

They need to do it quick before Portugal gets kicked out. I heard its the same for Spain too.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Wow, did not know that. I do recall that in the 70s, Vancouver became popular with those associated with SIA and those who did their Colombo Plan scholarship studies there.

Canada in those days was very easy. Apparently, you can just walk into any canada consulate anywhere in the world and fill out your application. Approval given the same day. No need to prove assets, net worth, work experience, etc.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree. The Malaysians of that era were the same. They kept their citizenship.

I think a lot of migrants kept their home citizenship, regardless where they are from. I don't know what the rational is, but most do have assets, properties back home. Playing this cat and mouse game. Eventually, after 20 30 years they sold their assets back home and finally settle fully here.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I think a lot of migrants kept their home citizenship, regardless where they are from. I don't know what the rational is, but most do have assets, properties back home. Playing this cat and mouse game. Eventually, after 20 30 years they sold their assets back home and finally settle fully here.

Its called Kiasu

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Was told you need to invest 500K in the 70s. a family friend went. worthwhile coz they are a big family with 4 kids back then. latest i heard 7 kids. eldest daughter and her mum pregnant at the same time!

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The first wave of Gragos went to canada, I know several who settled in Calgary, Vancouver, and even Toronto. Subsequent waves went almost exclusively to Australia. The worrisome part is that I know some malay families who have also emigrated to western countries like canada and spain. They never used to leave. Maybe Golden Dragon knows Wilfred Skinner?

Heard of him, bro but don't know him. he left in the early 70s.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Was told you need to invest 500K in the 70s. a family friend went. worthwhile coz they are a big family with 4 kids back then. latest i heard 7 kids. eldest daughter and her mum pregnant at the same time!

Not true lah. I can guarantee you Wilfred Skinner did not have $500K when he moved to Vancouver in the 70s.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not true lah. I can guarantee you Wilfred Skinner did not have $500K when he moved to Vancouver in the 70s.

my family friend had to invest in the timber business. they knew sure gone case, but felt 500k for the entire family was a good deal. no idea about skinner's. just curious - same policy in the 70s or changes in the late 70s?

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
my family friend had to invest in the timber business. they knew sure gone case, but felt 500k for the entire family was a good deal. no idea about skinner's. just curious - same policy in the 70s or changes in the late 70s?

About 5 years back you can get into aussieland under business investor for about 500k, not sure now, maybe the same but the visa criterion might have been tightened.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
About 5 years back you can get into aussieland under business investor for about 500k, not sure now, maybe the same but the visa criterion might have been tightened.

was once told, not sure about the country though, that getting in may be easier if one chooses an ulu place instead of a big city. of course once in, nothing to stop you from moving to your preferred city.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
was once told, not sure about the country though, that getting in may be easier if one chooses an ulu place instead of a big city. of course once in, nothing to stop you from moving to your preferred city.

That would under the state sponsored category. Not necessary true, you need a valid "postal" address in the ulu place you stay in, and thru tax records they can still track where you are. If that was the case you might as well come over on a tourist visa and just overstay. Find a nice Aussie and get married and you done. Note, in Aussieland, it can be a guy or girl as your partner.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That would under the state sponsored category. Not necessary true, you need a valid "postal" address in the ulu place you stay in, and thru tax records they can still track where you are. If that was the case you might as well come over on a tourist visa and just overstay. Find a nice Aussie and get married and you done. Note, in Aussieland, it can be a guy or girl as your partner.

thanks, bro. appreciated.

Alantis

Alfrescian
Loyal

To migrate to EU Bulgaria you need just S $250k. Very affordable to most people.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

More than a decade ago, I was surprised to learn from a taxi driver (which I was travelling in), that he intends to sell his HDB flat, and migrate to NZ.

I speculate that more and more Malays have done and are doing that.

I met one of my primary school classmates along Anson Road, in the 1980's (one of my earlier visits back to SG), and he was in the merchant marine (he has sailed to Canada), and his brother in law married a Canadian lady from Nova Scotia.
Surprisingly, she converted to Islam, and they settled down in Nova Scotia.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Canada in those days was very easy. Apparently, you can just walk into any canada consulate anywhere in the world and fill out your application. Approval given the same day. No need to prove assets, net worth, work experience, etc.

I wish my father did that, so that I did not have to do the "obstacle course"
In the early 1980's, when I was already working in Toronto on a Work Visa, an individual cannot apply for PR (or what was then known as "Landed Immigrant") from within Canada.
The Canadian Consulates in the USA would not send the application forms to a potential immigrant who resides in Canada.
It was very tedious, because I had to travel to Detroit, via overnight Gray Hound bus, freshened up, shaved, have some breakfast, wait for the Canadian Consulate to open,
pick up the application forms, go back to Toronto, complete the forms with the necessary documents, travel to Detroit to submit the application forms, after receipt of their letter to attend an interview,
then travel there for the interview (fortunately, it was a good chit chat and discussion because the Immigration Officer indicated that I had already been working in Toronto for several years),
and finally travel there to pick up my IMM1000 (landed immigrant papers).
A total of 4 trips to Detroit, because in the old days, they would not send it to me.

Nowadays, many potential immigrants apply for PR while they are studying or working in Canada.