• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Canadian / Australian / Overseas Singaporean Thread

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
overseas Singapore related trivia (best laksa where?), where to buy ready made ketupat, which brand coconut milk is good........including Singapore Day, etc
To: scroobal (real or impostor, doesn't matter now) Please help me understand Sinkie mentality. If you decide to become a citizen of your adopted country, why would you still hanker after things Singaporean? If you still miss Sinkie cuisine or Sinkie Day, why the fcuk did you give up Sinkie citizenship to become an American/Canadian/Australian citizen?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
To: scroobal (real or impostor, doesn't matter now) Please help me understand Sinkie mentality. If you decide to become a citizen of your adopted country, why would you still hanker after things Singaporean? If you still miss Sinkie cuisine or Sinkie Day, why the fcuk did you give up Sinkie citizenship to become an American/Canadian/Australian citizen?

I totally agree with you NaturalAristocratNoHeart!

I don't miss Singapore at all. I don't miss Sinkie cuisine at all. And WTF is Sinkie Day?

The day I got my renunciation of Singapore citizenship confirmation letter I was so happy. Also I had already sold all my Singapore assets and have gladly withdrawn all my CPF as well.

This whole "keep your HDB flat" "hold on to CPF for good interest" is all Kiasu. And I bet many of these kiasu people don't declare their assets to CRA. They tell me why I so stupid go declare and pay tax. I say I kiasee. Come all the way here for a few bucks want to jeopardize my PR?

Anyway if people still need their SIngapore assets....to survive in Canada goes to show how well they have adapted here. And there is nothing to miss as far as food. Can get malaysian food, all kinds of food here in Canada also. There is nothing to miss in Singapore except friends and relatives.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
I totally agree with you NaturalAristocratNoHeart!

I don't miss Singapore at all. I don't miss Sinkie cuisine at all. And WTF is Sinkie Day?

The day I got my renunciation of Singapore citizenship confirmation letter I was so happy. Also I had already sold all my Singapore assets and have gladly withdrawn all my CPF as well.

This whole "keep your HDB flat" "hold on to CPF for good interest" is all Kiasu. And I bet many of these kiasu people don't declare their assets to CRA. They tell me why I so stupid go declare and pay tax. I say I kiasee. Come all the way here for a few bucks want to jeopardize my PR?

Anyway if people still need their SIngapore assets....to survive in Canada goes to show how well they have adapted here. And there is nothing to miss as far as food. Can get malaysian food, all kinds of food here in Canada also. There is nothing to miss in Singapore except friends and relatives.

With close friends there is skype. With 'friends', there is facebook. You missed nothing sir.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Valid question, often asked not only of migrants by migrants as well. Each would have their own reasons for it.

I would think that the food is usually the excuse. I suspect it has to do with the memories and bridges built since one's childhood. These are hard to forget especially if they are fun. There are also ties, school mates, NS mates, neighbours and more importantly families and the neighbourhood that you grew up in.

Sometimes you want bring back your kids and show them of your past. I suppose the World is your oyster and it belongs to everyone that make it their own. Borders are man made.

I think the more important question is why they left. And did it enhance their life and that of their kids.

I learnt one thing though over the years, their kids would never consider giving up their citizenship of their new home. Some parents do return but not the kids. Says something about the grass being greener. They might come back and work here but thats employment.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
my family friend had to invest in the timber business. they knew sure gone case, but felt 500k for the entire family was a good deal. no idea about skinner's. just curious - same policy in the 70s or changes in the late 70s?

I wouldn't know about that, I do know that Wilfred on a ASP salary where to get $500K? And I think you are talking about $500K CAD which at that time is probably close to $700K Sing? Back then, one freehold bungalow can be bought for less then $200K. So, $500K is a lot of money.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I wish my father did that, so that I did not have to do the "obstacle course"
In the early 1980's, when I was already working in Toronto on a Work Visa, an individual cannot apply for PR (or what was then known as "Landed Immigrant") from within Canada.
The Canadian Consulates in the USA would not send the application forms to a potential immigrant who resides in Canada.
It was very tedious, because I had to travel to Detroit, via overnight Gray Hound bus, freshened up, shaved, have some breakfast, wait for the Canadian Consulate to open,
pick up the application forms, go back to Toronto, complete the forms with the necessary documents, travel to Detroit to submit the application forms, after receipt of their letter to attend an interview,
then travel there for the interview (fortunately, it was a good chit chat and discussion because the Immigration Officer indicated that I had already been working in Toronto for several years),
and finally travel there to pick up my IMM1000 (landed immigrant papers).
A total of 4 trips to Detroit, because in the old days, they would not send it to me.

Nowadays, many potential immigrants apply for PR while they are studying or working in Canada.

From talking to my friends who have left, or are trying to leave. It seems that every year, its harder and harder to get in. The desirable countries are all tightening up their requirements. Sinkies who have not left are facing an uphill task. the lower to middle class seems to have almost no chance. Only the rich still have a good shot. Them and people who are refugees.