• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Cabinet Minister and the 50th Birthday Party

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sometime ago, a cabinet minister attended the 50th Birthday of a Singaporean who was retrenched in his mid 40s and the job given to FTs. I remember the wife calling around to friends and relatives seeking help job wise for her husband. Luckily for him, the wife was also working. The hubby pulled himself together and did his law degree and qualified just before his birthday as a lawyer and got a job.

I am sure there would not be a 50th Birthday nor Minister attending one if he could not find a job. I always wondered if this MInister did realise the enormity of the situation in Singapore or how a Singaporean cannot be assured of anything in this country.

This guy used to work for well known global consultancy and qualification was not an issue. The reality is that open gate policy of this govt means that you can continue to bring in people from all parts of world for a fraction of the cost.

What a fucked up Govt we have.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
They can preach about open door policy, meritocracy and globalization and all that crap knowing in their case, their job is protected! Hypocrites!!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Their jobs will be intact during their life time. When a regime is under threat, they will entrench themselves and make sure they get more than their pound of flesh.

not true, bro, not true.
the good sons and daughters of Aljunied GRC says otherwise :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
Their jobs will be intact during their life time. When a regime is under threat, they will entrench themselves and make sure they get more than their pound of flesh.

Aiyah, snake scroobal, don't be so angry with them for discarding you lah.
Still got chance for you if you humtum opposition like you tried to do before GE 2011.

He claims to be a defender of the common man but that is pure bullshit
Just mention anything about those elites and he’s chomping at the bit
Scroobal's anger with the men in white may sometimes confuse us
Most likely he was discarded by them and thrown under the bus

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset

is kuok group under the MIW? Georgie under kuok group, isn't he?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kuok is a known intermediary between the Malaysian and Singapore Govts. Though he is not one to suffer fools, he is smart enough to get a win-win solution.

The irony is that GY is earning more than double after his loss which now includes an attractive pension.

is kuok group under the MIW? Georgie under kuok group, isn't he?

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am glad you raise this. I wonder how about our younger chaps who have graduated from the Unis say last two years? Are they having difficulty finding jobs? Are there especially certain sectors of industry or fields where our local true blue Singaporean univ grads ( whether from NUS. NTU or overseas) are still floating around waiting for interviews that never seem to come?

Are these chaps blighted as well? Have they become truly blighters?

Sometime ago, a cabinet minister attended the 50th Birthday of a Singaporean who was retrenched in his mid 40s and the job given to FTs. I remember the wife calling around to friends and relatives seeking help job wise for her husband. Luckily for him, the wife was also working. The hubby pulled himself together and did his law degree and qualified just before his birthday as a lawyer and got a job.

I am sure there would not be a 50th Birthday nor Minister attending one if he could not find a job. I always wondered if this MInister did realise the enormity of the situation in Singapore or how a Singaporean cannot be assured of anything in this country.

This guy used to work for well known global consultancy and qualification was not an issue. The reality is that open gate policy of this govt means that you can continue to bring in people from all parts of world for a fraction of the cost.

What a fucked up Govt we have.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The issue is not the new entrants. It when they are in their 30s when it becomes cheaper to bring in FTs who are experienced yet so much cheaper. There is also no need to provide CPF as employment does not require CPF contribution. Company insurance for those who reach 40 starts to go up. It is cheaper to keep employees younger.

I am glad you raise this. I wonder how about our younger chaps who have graduated from the Unis say last two years? Are they having difficulty finding jobs? Are there especially certain sectors of industry or fields where our local true blue Singaporean univ grads ( whether from NUS. NTU or overseas) are still floating around waiting for interviews that never seem to come?

Are these chaps blighted as well? Have they become truly blighters?

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
The irony is that GY is earning more than double after his loss which now includes an attractive pension.

:eek::eek::eek: he's earning more than what he did as a minister? crap! what have Aljunied residents done! *smack head*

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Glad that you raised this point. It is something that people don't always realise:

The problem is not that our ministers are earning multi-million dollar salaries. The problem is that the elites in our society are earning multi-million dollar salaries. Therefore the assertion that our ministers, if they weren't serving in the cabinet, could have been out there earning millions of dollars elsewhere, is actually true.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Glad that you raised this point. It is something that people don't always realise:

The problem is not that our ministers are earning multi-million dollar salaries. The problem is that the elites in our society are earning multi-million dollar salaries. Therefore the assertion that our ministers, if they weren't serving in the cabinet, could have been out there earning millions of dollars elsewhere, is actually true.

Not really. Not all ministars can command same salary when outside. The other pertinent question to ask is whether they can command such salary outside because they got minister and network experience in their CV. In other countries people go for govt posts even though pay is low because they can put that in their CV and earn big bucks after. Our system shows that u get 2 bites of the cherry, earn big bucks in govt and use that to earn big bucks outside govt.

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal

YOu fucking lying son of a serial rape victim! One maggot out of a thousand pieces of turd doesn't mean that shit can bring live to the world.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
I actually don't like the idea that the ministers earn that much money. But what I'm saying is that it's pegged to the market rate. If you get one bite of the cherry, as in, you don't earn much as a minister, and later on you get a well paid job in some other area, will that affect your policy making? What you're doing is not corruption as in breaking the law but you could be too focused on getting that really good job after you leave the govt. You make policies that are overly friendly to your future paymasters. The argument that paying your ministers will will prevent this from happening is hard to prove or disprove. I think $3M a year is an outrageous sum for a minister, but I'm also a little hesistant for it to go below $1M.

There are other systems where people get two bites of the cherry too - corruption while in govt and after govt, a nice cushy job.

But I still feel the general approach is that we should be reducing inequality in society in general rather than narrowly focusing on minister salaries.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha....the days must be slow.....a fertile mind with too much free time is perfect recipe for concocting bullshits....
retrenched in his 40s....got his law degree and a job just before his 50th birthday.....a ministar turned up to celebrate his 50th birthday...
scroobal was also there to rub shoulder with the ministar.......
and yes...i just saw a pig flying past my window......lol.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
I actually don't like the idea that the ministers earn that much money. But what I'm saying is that it's pegged to the market rate. If you get one bite of the cherry, as in, you don't earn much as a minister, and later on you get a well paid job in some other area, will that affect your policy making? What you're doing is not corruption as in breaking the law but you could be too focused on getting that really good job after you leave the govt. You make policies that are overly friendly to your future paymasters. The argument that paying your ministers will will prevent this from happening is hard to prove or disprove. I think $3M a year is an outrageous sum for a minister, but I'm also a little hesistant for it to go below $1M.

There are other systems where people get two bites of the cherry too - corruption while in govt and after govt, a nice cushy job.

But I still feel the general approach is that we should be reducing inequality in society in general rather than narrowly focusing on minister salaries.

Wah...u care so much for our ministars! What about our poor WP MPs who gave up so much to get into politics and when they leave they prob dont have plum jobs awaiting them. Talk about service and sacrifice !!

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wah...u care so much for our ministars! What about our poor WP MPs who gave up so much to get into politics and when they leave they prob dont have plum jobs awaiting them. Talk about service and sacrifice !!

How do you know they don't have plum jobs waiting for them? It's 20-30 years before they retire. How do you know what lies so far into the future?

How about this: the big bosses in Singapore who are earning a few million dollars a year by setting up this system of cheap labour and exploiting it - why not go after them too?

Last edited: