• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Buying Rolex Is A Better Investment

uobboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
Right now only the sports series will appreciate . Others like DJ can expect drop in value when reselling.

A good local web site with knowledge and resale of rolex is http://sg-roc.com/ . If the moderator feels it is inappropriate to list other website here pls kindly edit .

Sports series like ,Daytona list price is 12k but people are paying 19k to avoid the waiting list . Currently can get ard 17k .

If you are able to find vintages in good condition can consider them after verifying with RSC , as these are appreciating faster than current discont soon sports models :cool:. Some vintages can command the prices of a car . But vintage will only appreciate and not depreciate like car ,provided you have a vintage which is everything original/correct parts and full set .

Right now US is having bank runs and ppl with money in banks are only guaranteed up to 10k usd per account by the government . People there are trying to hold on to cold hard cash in case their money get eaten when the banks bankrupt .

With the diminishing in value of the usd they try to find other forms of investment ( speculating in oil/gold/rice/coffee beans futures) ironically this creates a sharp increase in world oil/flour prices . And in the end they suffer becos of their own greed and drag the whole world with them .

A word of caution , the feds have a list of banks which could fold next .

PS the above are the writer's own views and do not necessary represent the views of the forum or the owners .

pweesng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Errr, if it is used, of course it is below original price :p
You mean you expect a used rolex price to be higher than a new one

because Rolex has a policy of increasing prices by 10% to 15% each year. As the depreciation is usually less than that year on year, after a couple of years, most people can sell their piece for a profit.

I got my subbie with date in 2000 for 4.5k... now new ones are going for about 8k. I believe i can easily let go of my at 5.5k to 6k. Had i bought a used one in 2000, i would have easily doubled my money...

pweesng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Buy Rolex must buy those really limited editions or those which are not in high circulation in market.

Not really good in this, but my friend is. Also judging on the diamonds in it.

you never do homework lah... Rolex will never make any limited models. Unless it is for the french legionaire, of the comos divers...etc..etc... those are too pricy.

Those for retail, ie the DJ, the sports model or even the anniversary models... they are all not limited.

Also, Rolex with the most resale value are those that are not decorated in diamonds.... those are the hardest to sell.

pweesng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Right now US is having bank runs and ppl with money in banks are only guaranteed up to 10k usd per account by the government . People there are trying to hold on to cold hard cash in case their money get eaten when the banks bankrupt . .

FDIC is 100k USD.... Even SDIC is already SGD 25k....

pweesng

Alfrescian
Loyal
My bad,

It is indeed 100k USD by FDIC and SGD 20K by SDIC

http://www.sdic.org.sg/

ha ha.. no problem lah....

Just wanted to point it out... in case you got money in US... But most angmoh got no money one... judging from the fact tht FDIC says nobody has lost a single cent in any of the US banks collapse... which lead me to think... most people in US either got less than 100k in the bank, or their spare cash all in bahamas...

xtrocious

Alfrescian
Loyal
ha ha.. no problem lah....

Just wanted to point it out... in case you got money in US... But most angmoh got no money one... judging from the fact tht FDIC says nobody has lost a single cent in any of the US banks collapse... which lead me to think... most people in US either got less than 100k in the bank, or their spare cash all in bahamas...

The US is an economy that runs on credit :p

That's why 90% of the people there don't have any "losses" in the banks...

pweesng

Alfrescian
Loyal
The US is an economy that runs on credit :p

That's why 90% of the people there don't have any "losses" in the banks...

yes.. but when we say the people run on credit. It means that they are on borrowed money securitized by certain assets (mostly houses), although a part of it is also credit cards (unsecured but limited).

In Singapore as well. How many of us actually have a positive net asset value?

But at least in Singapore, most of us at least have some money in the bank account in case we lose our job... or suddenly need to use money...

If you know the ang moh culture well, unless they are very high ranking people in the society / organisation, most of them spend what they earn and perhaps more... US, Australia, Europe... most of the people i know in these countries, drives nice car, stay in nice places, party hard, but not much money in savings one. This is one result of dole money. Sometimes i hope singapore don't go that direction.... it will result to the top level of people subsidising the broadbased lower tiered people.

But this is OT... let's stop before we get warning from Uncle Same... lol

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Rolex, a good investment?

Bought 1..... on impulse..... a friend told me :"A Rolex proves you are a successful man"

menssilverdials43291.jpg

Actually I prefer Tag Heuer Manaco series.... haiz.... :(:(

CAW2110.FC6177.jpg

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Rolex, a good investment?

Rolex is not expensive. Rolex is mass production.
There other brand are for more expensive eg Patek Phillipe.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I owned a Rolex since like 20 years ago. No big deal. But it's a watch that lasts, looking brand new every year, that's true.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Bought 1..... on impulse..... a friend told me :"A Rolex proves you are a successful man"
:(:(

There are already two threads on this subject. Look at the "Similar Threads" list at the bottom of this thread. :rolleyes:

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal

These are the ones I have :

rolex-milgauss-2.jpg

picture-128-494x534.png

Thought of getting the Daytona too........

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rolex is not expensive. Rolex is mass production.
There other brand are for more expensive eg Patek Phillipe.
That 1 too atas for me, dun like the design also

Hao lian :rolleyes:

Busno64 can no more say you cheapo liao! :biggrin:
I was never a cheapo, nor a miser :biggrin:, not haolian, just that this watch wearing around my wrist doesnt suit my age and image.... zzzzzz, the more i see, the more i tulanz.....

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

That 1 too atas for me, dun like the design also

I was never a cheapo, nor a miser :biggrin:, not haolian, just that this watch wearing around my wrist doesnt suit my age and image.... zzzzzz, the more i see, the more i tulanz.....

A handsome man at any age will project any image handsomely with whatever he wears.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rolex getting too crass now with the new models and polish middle link on the bracelets etc. Catering to the asian market i presume. And yes it is not that expensive (though they recently increase prices again). Its like a Mercedes and there are others like Patek Phillipe as mentioned more like the Bentley and Roll Royces.

fukyuman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rolex is not popular among circles who like to flaunt expensive watches like people who are in the freight transport industry. Its mostly on ah peks now and their undertakers who ask families to turn to their backs while they lift it from the deceased while closing the coffin. Its good value if you bought 30 years ago when a second hand half gold goes for $1.2K. I was stupid then to let go of one including a gmt master. Those with diamonds you see are sometimes installed by Hong Kong artisans who migrate to Singapore during the 1997 handover. If you still want to buy a rolex cheaper best is to look for a plain jane model. Large retailers would buy rolexs by the trays which comes mixed with different designs. Those desirable ones are mark up for tidy profit while the plain janes are sold at near cost to keep liquidity. All it takes is patience and shopping around. Like all automatic movements, their accuracy give way after a while and it can take a number of trips to get the tolerance tightened. Idiots will send their watch for annual servicing. What the repairman will do it is test it for accuracy and returned the watch unopened. Why risks opening up the movements to oil and lubricate? Vibration is an enemy of automatic movement watches so wear cheap ones if you riding motorcycles or a bus driver.
I am now wearing Seiko 5. Mustafa sells parallel imported dive watches including the yellow monster for around $200. It feels good to give them away if you are visiting 3rd world countries. Working ones have been found in Bosnian mass graves. My bali guide was in tears when I gave one to him.