• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Bullshit of the year: 3 finance bros quit banking jobs to carry on father's Nam Kee Chicken Rice legacy in Upper Thomson

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
this-job-3.png

https://mothership.sg/2023/04/nam-kee-chicken-rice-restaurant-singapore/

Nam Kee Chicken Rice Restaurant has always been more than just a quick stop for lunch.

For the three Chew brothers -- Lincoln, Dave, and Ken -- and their loyal customers, it's home.

Their grandfather, Chew Nam Peng, set up a chicken rice shop along Upper Thomson Road in 1968 with the sole mission of bringing the flavours of his birthplace Hainan island to Singapore.

Now, over 60 years later, his grandsons are ensuring his dream lives on.

Taking the leap​

When Nam Kee's second generation owner Chew Tee Heang announced that he was going to sell the shop, it nearly gave his three sons a heart attack.

According to his eldest son Lincoln Chew, the 61-year-old simply came up one day with a cheque for the shop and said, "I'm going to cash this in and retire."

Having grown up with the business, the brothers made the unanimous decision to quit their jobs, take over the shop, and save their family business from falling into a stranger's hands.

All three brothers previously worked in banking.

To their colleagues and bosses, leaving their high-paying jobs to sell chicken rice was certifiably insane.

Lincoln said:

"The amount of money we were earning at that time outperformed people at our age — even some people in their 40s. And once you leave banking, it's very hard to find another job that pays so well."

That wasn't the half of it.

The brothers officially took over the store during 2021, also known as the Covid-19 era.
They went from being highfliers in one of the most lucrative industries to working in F&B — a sector struggling to stay afloat.

To the Chews, however, blood was thicker than money.

"There was no hesitation," said Dave. "It was just something we were born with and needed to take on."

And so, the brothers jumped right in and there was no looking back.

Tradition vs progress​

Tee Heang is a man of tradition.

DSC03386.jpg

Finding comfort in being able to oversee everything from cooking to serving, he did things quite literally by the book, recording all his orders on paper.

"Everything has to be done by him — the cooking of rice, the chicken. He always thought that if he was out sick for a day, the shop wouldn't run. He didn't even want to do any deliveries or expand because he was afraid he couldn't handle the excessive workload."

His resistance against utilising technology left his sons with a blank slate.

"You know how the second generation manages a business, right? There's no statistics at all," said Lincoln.

"Entering the industry, we didn't even know our operating costs or our suppliers."

It was also a learning curve for Tee Heang.

For someone used to "micro-managing", Lincoln continued, "it was definitely hard for our father to let go."

The second generation owner needn't have worried though, as the changes championed by his sons, such as a point of sale (POS) system and more division of labour, only made the business more competitive and efficient.

One thing left untouched was the restaurant's interior.

DSC03565.jpg
Interior of Nam Kee Chicken Rice Restaurant.

Up till today, the store remains a portal to the 1960s.

Step through the humble store front and you'll be greeted with marble tables, old-fashioned booths and tiled walls and floors marked by age.

Far from appearing outdated, however, the place makes for a homey refuge from the hustle and bustle of modern city life.

"We wanted to keep the nostalgic vibe of the place," said Dave.

Working with family​

Although the brothers had already been working together in the bank, selling chicken rice has brought all generations of the Chew clan even closer.

"We understand how we each think, and the rest is all about communication."

The younger Chews also respect Tee Heang's experience.

DSC03526.jpg
The Chew clan.

"He now gives us advice instead of stopping us. We don't seek his advice just because he's our father, but because we believe it's good advice."

Despite having had many heated debates with their father over things like automating orders and letting employees handle more of the workload, the Chew brothers note that challenges like these are their favourite part of their job.

"Once we're able to solve a problem, the sense of accomplishment is something money cannot buy," stated Lincoln.

Chicken rice = home​

After all these years, the Chews are still not tired of chicken rice.

That's because to them, it's more than just food — it's childhood and family.

Since they were young and lived above the bustling shop, people have always known them as "the chicken rice uncle's sons".

DSC03548.jpg
Chew Chew Chew Chew.

"I have friends telling me that if they don't know what to eat, they'll eat chicken rice. Chicken rice will always be there," Dave said.

The dish built bridges across the different generations.

"It's very common for us to hear something like, 'Oh, I know this place because my grandfather used to bring me. Now I'm also a father so I bring my son. It's more than the food that they're coming back for, it's the good memories — childhood memories. People come here and feel like they've come home."

Screenshot-2023-04-03-at-6.43.13-PM-e1680518672729.png
Google review on the restaurant.

The Nam Kee factor​

According to the brothers, the "It" factor in Nam Kee chicken rice comes from its consistency and quality.

Forgoing the convenience of ready-made products, the family prides themselves on making their food from scratch.

DSC03401.jpg
Tee Heang cooking.

For instance, the chilli sauce recipe passed down from Tee Heang.

The proof is in the seeds, Dave said.

"Stores that have factory suppliers have machineries that remove the seeds. When we grind the chilli ourselves, it's almost impossible to remove them."

In looking to expand their brand overseas soon, the brothers revealed that they have uncovered a surefire way to maintain this same high standards across the board.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Interestingly... in food men like to eat the same taste, same flavour and same texture of the dish... and go back to eat it again...

In wife, men prefer younger fresh stock, used or virgin stock doesn't matter, and dump his own older one... but his old one other men don't mind... her sex experience counts can eat don't waste...

I can help change that.... this is a game changer for women... can make the same taste, same flavour and same texture... sex experience to any man... all the time, and all men will flock to her like this chicken rice... queue to take turn to poke somemore .... age doesn't matter .... song leh...

不吃不知 一吃就知 ..... song leh...

Last edited:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Simi lancheow banking? These fuckers got wall to wall tattoos all over them. Which kind of bank hire this kind of people? U dare to park your money in their bank? More likely they were doing loan sharking and now, called "banking"

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let’s put it this way. These clowns at best were working as Relationship Managers (aka Sales). Sure the money can be good if times are good and u talk a good game.

But these clowns obviously were hit by Covid hard. Nobody wanna invest during the COVID days right?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Let’s put it this way. These clowns at best were working as Relationship Managers (aka Sales). Sure the money can be good if times are good and u talk a good game.

But these clowns obviously were hit by Covid hard. Nobody wanna invest during the COVID days right?
blond hair? the big 3 banks don’t employ rm’s with blond hair and fucked up ah beng looks. must be working for ah long also considered “banking” and “finance”.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Joke number 1 : "bringing the flavours of his birthplace Hainan island to Singapore."???? Hainan got no chicken rice like our chicken rice.
Joke number 2 : yes, all three bros are chao ah bengs, and definitely lowly educated. High flying bankers my ass.

millim6868

Alfrescian
Loyal
They lucky to be able to.retreat to.family fnb,my company so.many fresh grads n those work.1.to 2.years local.si kids get retrenched,n news n Internet post strong hired of grads n well.pay really.bullshit,lol

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
The chicken rice shop in jiu hu started when a lady who used to work for kfc started her own chicken rice chain.
It was sold years later to a european investors for over RM200 mil.

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sinkies are fuck up lack of intelligence and ideas. AMDKs and Tiongs create tech startups, Sinkies sell chicken rice, nasi lemak and other low tech rubbish or prepackaged ideas. Only jobs they are create are low SES shit by bangla and village Jiuhu kias. And what’s more shit is the stuff they sells taste worst than the stuff sold by their peasants forefathers.

Last edited:

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Simi lancheow banking? These fuckers got wall to wall tattoos all over them. Which kind of bank hire this kind of people? U dare to park your money in their bank? More likely they were doing loan sharking and now, called "banking"

Loansharking now known as banking also mah............. :biggrin: