• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Bukit Batok by-election to be held on May 7

jw5

Loyal
In his FB post today, WP MP Pritam Singh said that PAP did the same thing to his ward in GE2011 as what Murali is doing. But after GE2011, HDB said the new WP TC could still proceed with the NRP upgrading plans of the previous PAP TC, and WP went ahead with the upgrading project.

Pritam put it very well, but he kindly forgot to mention that the residents of Aljunied were also threatened with repentance. It didn't work. :wink:

jw5

Loyal
As stated by Dr Paul Tambyah: "to say that major improvements will come only if the PAP candidate is elected is unethical and could even be a contravention of the Parliamentary Elections Act (Section 59) which prohibits parties or persons from bringing undue influence on voters."

How can BB voters vote for someone like Murali who plays dirty, threaten and mislead voters on the public funded upgrading???

Nicely put Dr Tambyah. Over to you Mr Murali. Anything else other than "No upgrading for you!".................... :wink:

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.straitstimes.com/politic...on-juan-meets-and-greets-commuters-at-station

SDP candidate Chee Soon Juan meets and greets commuters at station

Published 27 April 2016

ST_20160427_ZLCHEE27_2248112.jpg

As has been his routine for some weeks now, Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) chief Chee Soon Juan spent the eve of Nomination Day distributing fliers and greeting rush-hour commuters at Bukit Batok MRT station.

"I'm beginning to feel like a permanent fixture here," he said in a Facebook post yesterday, which included pictures of him posing with commuters.

Dr Chee, 53, also had breakfast at one of the coffee shops in the constituency, where he is vying against People's Action Party (PAP) candidate Murali Pillai, and possibly others, in the May 7 by-election.

Both will know if the contest will be a straight fight when they turn up this morning to file their papers at Keming Primary School, the nomination centre for the election.

Social media has been a key tool for both men in their outreach to residents since the March 12 resignation of the PAP's MP for Bukit Batok, Mr David Ong, over an alleged affair.

The SDP, which has adopted the campaign slogan "Now is the time", promised to roll out four social initiatives for Bukit Batok residents should Dr Chee be elected.

These programmes, which target youth, the needy and the elderly, were formulated as existing social assistance programmes have not gone far enough, he said when unveiling them last Friday.

The party has a four-man team to act as a resource panel to advise it on town council issues in the first 100 days if Dr Chee is elected.

Dr Chee, who has promised to be a full-time MP, has assured residents that the SDP has the resources to take over the town council.

In the evening, he was back at the Bukit Batok train station.

He ended his Facebook post saying: "Anyway, will let you know if there's a disruption in service."

It was a reference to the breakdown of train services on Monday night, which affected Bukit Batok, among other MRT stations. Dr Chee was there when the incident happened and posted about it.

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://graphics.straitstimes.com/ST...ok-by-election-nomination-day-blog/index.html

Bukit Batok by-election - Nomination Day, April 27

10:22 AM

Dr Chee's wife, Madam Huang Chih Mei, is seen accompanying her husband as the SDP team make their way to Keming Primary School. ST PHOTOS: DESMOND FOO, LIM YAN LIANG

1461723777645888.jpg

10:31 AM

ST's Chong Zi Liang is present as Dr Chee gives a speech thanking his volunteers for their time. He says that the SDP campaign did not start with the resignation of former PAP MP David Ong, and that the party had been meeting and training volunteers when the news broke that Mr Ong was stepping down.

10:43 AM

Dr Chee has also arrived at Keming Primary School. He speaks briefly to the media before heading in. "Get me into Parliament so we can build a model constituency," he says. ST VIDEO: LIM YAN LIANG

harimau

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why ah Chee never bring his kids to the party? Very important to show he is serious in being a good PM!

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
11:01

DPM Tharman Shanmugaratnam and SDP member Paul Tambyah are spotted shaking hands in Keming Primary School. They have agreed to focus on the issues at hand. ST PHOTOS: LIM YAOHUI

1461726151939571.jpg

11:08

Speaking to reporters later after his brief chat with DPM Tharman, Dr Tambyah says both had agreed they wanted a clean fight. On why Dr Chee was running ahead of him, Dr Tambyah adds: "The uncles and aunties know him, they recognise him, he has a never-say-die attitude." ST PHOTO: LIM YAN LIANG

1461726566185766.jpg

11:27

Former SDP member Kwan Yue Keng, 68, has turned up at Keming Primary School with a spare set of nomination forms. Mr Kwan, who won 44 per cent and 48 per cent of the vote in 1998 and 1991 respectively against the PAP’s Dr Ong Chit Chung when Bukit Batok was last a single seat, says he is present just in case Dr Chee is disqualified. ST PHOTO: LIM YAN LIANG

Mr Kwan tells ST's Pearl Lee that he is with the People's Power Party now but has refused to say which party he will be under if he stands.

When asked if he had filed nomination papers, he says: "I'm here just in case Dr Chee is disqualified. I don't want a walkover."

1461727681579441.jpg

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
12:35 PM

Bukit Batok by-election: PAP's Murali Pillai and SDP's Chee Soon Juan are confirmed to be in a straight fight.

12:40 PM

Dr Chee has pledged in both Mandarin and English to be a full-time MP. "I want to make Bukit Batok the envy of Singapore," he declares. Chants of the slogan "Now Is The Time" ring out from SDP supporters after Dr Chee's speech. ST PHOTO: LIM YAN LIANG

1461732259497161.jpg

12:52 PM

Dr Chee, at a doorstop with the media, criticises the PAP about upgrading issues, saying that if the PAP were genuinely caring, they would not have said that if not elected, they would not have the mandate to carry out upgrading.

He added that former MP David Ong had announced a $24 million upgrading plan during GE 2015, and asked for an update on the plan. He also called on Mr Murali to address this plan.

Speaking in Mandarin, Dr Chee takes aim at Mr Murali for promising to serve with all his heart, yet announcing that he had to be elected first before a 3G park can be built. Does he have the interests of Singaporeans at heart?

1461732979882124.jpg

13:13 PM

The police has designated two sites that can be used for rallies. http://str.sg/4ZHM

1461734631223632.png

bukit-batok-by-election-data.jpg

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
B]12:52 PM[/B]

Dr Chee, at a doorstop with the media, criticises the PAP about upgrading issues, saying that if the PAP were genuinely caring, they would not have said that if not elected, they would not have the mandate to carry out upgrading.

He added that former MP David Ong had announced a $24 million upgrading plan during GE 2015, and asked for an update on the plan. He also called on Mr Murali to address this plan.

Speaking in Mandarin, Dr Chee takes aim at Mr Murali for promising to serve with all his heart, yet announcing that he had to be elected first before a 3G park can be built. Does he have the interests of Singaporeans at heart?

In short, piak and piak party genuinely care for and have the interests of Singaporeans at heart only after you vote for them. :wink:

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
Very good response Dr Chee !

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/what-happened-to-david-ongs-24m-master-plan-for-095354214.html

What happened to David Ong’s $24m master plan for Bukit Batok?: Chee

27 April, 2016

08ef2739d36abf611fce5452b8854d10

Chee Soon Juan addresses reporters at Keming Primary School. Photo: Nicholas Yong/Yahoo Singapore

The gloves came off on Nomination Day (27 April), as Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) chief Chee Soon Juan questioned what had become of former Bukit Batok MP David Ong’s $24 million master plan for the ward.

Speaking to reporters after being officially confirmed as a candidate for the Bukit Batok by-election, Chee noted that Ong had proposed extensive upgrading plans for the constituency during last year’s General Election. These had included childcare centres and a new hawker centre.

“What I want to ask the PAP now is: what happened to this project? Were those just promises to entice voters, and then you do something else, worse, do nothing else after the GE? That must be made clear.

This is where Mr Murali needs to address this issue….you don’t just discard $24 million of projects and then make promises, and when the by-election comes, forget all about that and say, I’ll give you $1.9 million.”

The People’s Action Party (PAP) candidate for the by-election on 7 May, K. Muralidharan Pillai, held an exhibition on Sunday (24 April) showcasing the PAP Jurong-Clementi Town Council’s $1.9 million neighbourhood renewal plans for Bukit Batok. The lawyer said that the plans could only be carried out if he is elected as MP.

Chee took issue with this too, questioning if Murali’s desire to serve the residents of Bukit Batok was genuine. “What he should be saying is that, I want to be your MP, but I will abide by the people’s wishes. If I am not elected, I will ask the successful candidate, the MP to carry on this programme. That is truly caring, genuinely caring for residents.”

The father of three also pledged to be a full-time Member of Parliament if elected. “The clear difference here, is that every morning when Mr Murali wakes up, his first destination would be his office. When I wake up every morning, my first destination is Bukit Batok…and that’s when you’re going to have that MP who will be with you, who will not just be there to speak up for you, to fight for you.”

jw5

Loyal
The father of three also pledged to be a full-time Member of Parliament if elected. “The clear difference here, is that every morning when Mr Murali wakes up, his first destination would be his office. When I wake up every morning, my first destination is Bukit Batok…and that’s when you’re going to have that MP who will be with you, who will not just be there to speak up for you, to fight for you.”[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Piak and Piak party's manifesto for GE 2015 was "With you, for you, for Singapore". After so many years of having his ideas borrowed by the pappies, Dr Chee finally borrowed one of theirs. :biggrin:

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
12:35 PM

Bukit Batok by-election: PAP's Murali Pillai and SDP's Chee Soon Juan are confirmed to be in a straight fight.

12:40 PM

Dr Chee has pledged in both Mandarin and English to be a full-time MP. "I want to make Bukit Batok the envy of Singapore," he declares. Chants of the slogan "Now Is The Time" ring out from SDP supporters after Dr Chee's speech. ST PHOTO: LIM YAN LIANG

1461732259497161.jpg

12:52 PM

1461732979882124.jpg

13:13 PM

The police has designated two sites that can be used for rallies. http://str.sg/4ZHM

1461734631223632.png

bukit-batok-by-election-data.jpg

Excellent points raised by CSJ.

The arguments are well articulated. The facts are laid bare. Murali will find it hard to rebut those points. He is likely to go running to Tharman for counter ideas.

I won't be surprised at some point in time before the May 7 poll, PM Lee will have to 'rise to the occasion'.

jw5

Loyal

The arguments are well articulated. The facts are laid bare. Murali will find it hard to rebut those points. He is likely to go running to Tharman for counter ideas.

I won't be surprised at some point in time before the May 7 poll, PM Lee will have to 'rise to the occasion'.

He will rise from this position. :biggrin:

pm-lee-kneel-smrt-feedback.jpg

jw5

Loyal

Murali is likely to go running to Woody for counter ideas. Nobody has ever shut down the "No votes, no upgrading for you!" mantra so decisively before. :wink:

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
Celebrity urges for more opposition MPs and endorses SDP, she urges Bukit Batok voters to give Dr Chee a chance to serve them as MP.

https://www.facebook.com/neosweelin/videos/10153363177291315/

[video=dailymotion;x47bfjj]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x47bfjj [/video]
Neo Swee Lin

this year's Life Theatre Awards theme was "Future Perfect". Lim Kay Siu & I went dressed in SDP colours, because for us, a perfect future for our country would be one where there was more opposition in Parliament. I thought long and hard if this was the right platform for this. I think it is. What other platforms do we have? (what do YOU think?)

As artists, we should stand up for what we believe in. I learnt from playing Soh Lung Teo in Cooling Off Day that everyone should be involved in politics, that we should be unafraid. Life, Art, Politics are all part of the human experience.

I shed tears when I spoke to GoH Baey at the after-party, because I felt a little bit chastised. He was kind, but felt that this was not the right platform for what I did. I'm still not sure if he is right. All I know is, I am very passionate about my beliefs, and I hope that the voters in Bukit Batok will do the right thing. Be brave! You have a beautiful estate, I visit it often because my late mother's ashes are interred in Bukit Batok, I am a stone's throw away.

I have no doubt Murali is a good man too, but now is the time to give Chee Soon Juan a chance. He will do good for you, I promise you. I believe in him. You should too. (please re-share if you like: nomination day is today!) #nowisthetime

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/sdps-chee-soon-juan-vows-make-bukit-batok-model-town

Bukit Batok will be a model town if I’m elected: Chee

Updated: 12:43 AM, April 28, 2016

SINGAPORE — Vowing to make Bukit Batok a model town that is the envy of others if he is elected, Dr Chee Soon Juan of the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) said he will continue pounding the streets to meet residents and keep up outreach efforts on social media during the nine days of campaigning, besides holding rallies.

In a press conference after he was successfully nominated as a by-election candidate, Dr Chee responded to comments by People’s Action Party (PAP) second assistant secretary-general Tharman Shanmugaratnam on Tuesday that the SDP was unprepared.

If the PAP was better prepared, it would already have provided an update on the S$24 million worth of infrastructure plans promised by former Member of Parliament David Ong in the General Election last year, retorted Dr Chee, 53, even as he reiterated his call for the by-election campaign to be a contest of ideas, instead of mudslinging.

The war of words was sparked by his PAP rival Murali Pillai’s additional S$1.9 million-worth of infrastructure plans for the ward, if he is elected — which Dr Chee criticised as an “unethical” carrot-and-stick tactic.

Mr Ong’s promises included the refurbishment of the estate’s market and surroundings under the Housing and Development Board’s Remaking Our Heartland initiative. Mr Ong, who won 73.02 per cent of the vote before resigning last month due to an alleged extramarital affair, had also said the Single-Member Constituency would get a new eldercare centre and two new early childhood education centres.

Dr Chee criticised Mr Murali for saying he wanted to serve residents but that plans, such as those for a multi-generation fitness park, could only carry on if he is elected.

“What (Mr Murali) should be saying is, ‘I want to be your MP but I will abide by the people’s wishes. If I am not elected, I will ask the successful candidate, the MP, to carry on (with) this project.’ That is truly, genuinely caring for residents,” said Dr Chee.

His party’s attempts to serve Bukit Batok residents, such as by holding a health screening for them, had been blocked by the town council, he added.

Before heading into the nomination maelstrom at Keming Primary School on Wednesday (April 27) morning, the SDP chief had rallied supporters, urging them to “go all out” in the “final sprint” towards Polling Day on May 7.

Flanked by his wife, Dr Huang Chih Mei, and many of the party’s candidates who had stood in last year’s General Election, Dr Chee said his party would continue its work “no matter what happens on May 7”.

25789137.jpg

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/chee-says-he-will-be-a-more-effective-voice

Bukit Batok by-election: SDP's Chee Soon Juan says he will be a more effective voice

Published 28 April 2016

Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) chief Chee Soon Juan urged Bukit Batok residents to send him to Parliament, saying he would be a more effective voice than his People's Action Party (PAP) rival.

Kicking off formal campaigning in the by-election yesterday, he promised in Mandarin and English to serve as a full-time MP, saying residents wanted someone "to sit with them... listen to their difficulties and then bring it to Parliament".

"It is not humanly possible to go to work from 9 to 5 and stay back for more meetings and then come back at 7 to 8 and tell everybody that 'I am going to serve you with all my heart'," he said referring to his PAP rival Murali Pillai's pledge.

"The clear difference here is that every morning when Mr Murali wakes up, his first destination will be his office. When I wake up every morning, my first destination is Bukit Batok. That's the difference."

Dr Chee, 53, who spoke to reporters after nominations at Keming Primary School closed, said in earlier remarks to supporters that his top priority is to take care of the housing estate and run the town council "in the most productive manner".

SDP will make Bukit Batok a model town and "the envy of Singapore", he told some 70 supporters from the first floor of the school, shortly before the microphone was turned off as he exceeded the one minute given to candidates to make a speech.

Adjourning to a press conference, he told reporters that rallies aside, he will continue to knock on doors, visit coffee shops, greet commuters at the MRT station and use social media to reach voters during the nine-day campaign period before the polls on May 7.

He also reiterated his criticism of Mr Murali and the PAP for making the planned estate upgrading in parts of Bukit Batok conditional on the PAP being voted in.

He noted, for instance, a three- generation park, part of $1.9 million worth of infrastructure plans for a neighbourhood in the constituency, came under plans by the PAP-run Jurong-Clementi Town Council which looks after Bukit Batok.

"He (Mr Murali) qualifies that it comes from Jurong-Clementi town council and if he doesn't win, that project may not go on... The whole rationale for this park is to bring families together. If he doesn't win, he's not concerned that they don't have facilities to come together?"

"What he should be saying is that 'I want to be your MP, but I will abide by the people's wishes. If I am not the MP, I will ask the successful candidate, the MP, to carry on this programme'. That is truly and genuinely caring for residents."

Dr Chee said he also wanted a PAP progress report on the promises made by former MP David Ong at last year's general election. Mr Ong had spoken of a five-year masterplan that would commit $24 million to enhance amenities such as a new hawker centre, new eldercare centre and two new early childhood centres. "Has anything been done, and if not, then why not? Were those just promises to entice voters?" Dr Chee asked.

"Now, if things are already under way, then I say there is no problem. Because if funds have been allocated, contracts have been signed, regardless of whoever is the MP, (these programmes) will continue. But if it hasn't, then we want to ask why. This is where Mr Murali needs to address the issue and be able to tell Bukit Batok residents what has been going on."

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
See your point. It is always difficult to translate these to the man on the ground. The joys and benefit of incumbency I suppose.

Don't think many people will see it as a bribe. They will see it as PAP giving a sheltered walkway to them and comparing this to a candidate cannot give the same walkway. They won't think about the source of funds, how the government is ultimately responsible for upgrading everyone's living environment and not the local MP, etc. So the message has to be nuanced. Overspoken or spoken in too harsh a tone, CSJ will come across as sour grapes and the point will be drowned out.