• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

BT: Chicken Rice Paradise - List of favourite hawker stalls of its own

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SAF Captain Goh has just been promoted to CCC (Chicken Conman Captain). Anyhow cut-and-paste picture to pass off as his own.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
the mandarin hotel chicken rice is not that good leh.

The rice is not completely cooked.

The chicken so-so..

But it's so bloody expensive...for a chicken rice...

Any hawker centers chicken rice you mentioned here could easily beat them....cheaper some more..:d

anybody knows where to eat good fried chicken rice? Used to like the one beside the supreme court...

when you put money into that red coloured net on sunday ....do you think its a rip off ? At least when you give money you get visible chicken rice and not invisible promises ...:d

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A lot of people forgot something else, the chopping and deboning skills. This is very much valued and esteemed in Japanese cuisines, but somehow quite slighted for Chinese dishes. And this shows up and tastes up particularly different and better in duck rice or duck dishes than chicken rice or chicken dishes.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
A lot of people forgot something else, the chopping and deboning skills. This is very much valued and esteemed in Japanese cuisines, but somehow quite slighted for Chinese dishes. And this shows up and tastes up particularly different and better in duck rice or duck dishes than chicken rice or chicken dishes.

Yes. Cutting up a chicken needs some skills else those who eat it will find it very awkward and difficult to enjoy it. Some people have such a lousy cutting skill thatl when you eat, your mouth are easily poked by the bones.

You have to cut the chicken skilfully so that the juice will remain within the meat. The basic is to cut along the joints at an angle and never directly into bare bones. The worst kind is to miss the joints but cut on the bones of chicken wings directly. Never cut straight into the breast meat but slanted to about 30 degree to the grains of the meat. But all these are easily said than done. Need alot of practice.

Goh Meng Seng

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. Cutting up a chicken needs some skills else those who eat it will find it very awkward and difficult to enjoy it. Some people have such a lousy cutting skill thatl when you eat, your mouth are easily poked by the bones.

Goh Meng Seng

u dun sound like a tough captain leh..

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
A man, feared his wife wasn't hearing as well as she used to and he thought she might need a hearing aid, he called the family doctor to discuss the problem.
The doctor told him there is a simple test the husband could perform to get a better idea about her hearing loss.
"Here's what you do," said the doctor, "stand about 40 feet away from her, and in a normal conversational speaking tone speak to her see if she hears you.
If not, go to 30 feet, then 20 feet, and so on until you get a response."
That evening, the wife is in the kitchen cooking dinner, and he was in the den. He says to himself, "I'm about 40 feet away, let's see what happens."
Then in a normal tone he asks, 'Honey, what's for dinner?"
No response..
So the husband moves closer to the kitchen, about 30 feet from his wife and repeats, "Honey, what's for dinner?"
Still no response.
Next he moves into the dining room where he is about 20 feet from his wife and asks, "Honey, what's for dinner?"
Again he gets no response.
So, he walks up to the kitchen door, ab out 10 feet away. "Honey, what's for dinner?"

Again there is no response.
So he walks right up behind her. "Honey, what's for dinner?"

"Ah Seng, for the FIFTH time, CHICKEN RICE!"

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, just a suggestion. Any chance of putting this in your blog in a light hearted folder etc. It may not be appropriate being a political blog but your explanation/receipe is the best that I come across.

On my travels, I would like to share with ex-singaporeans and singaporeans based overseas. I know that I can copy it but I tend to lose these things. Its easier to remember you and google your blog.

Would understand if you don't want to do it.

You have to cut the chicken skilfully so that the juice will remain within the meat. The basic is to cut along the joints at an angle and never directly into bare bones. The worst kind is to miss the joints but cut on the bones of chicken wings directly. Never cut straight into the breast meat but slanted to about 30 degree to the grains of the meat. But all these are easily said than done. Need alot of practice.

Goh Meng Seng

jw5

Loyal
KFC was originally a chain of full service restaurants with fresh food cooked to order (like Tony Roma's chain). It was in the late 80s that PepsiCo bought over KFC and converted it to a fast food chain.

Talking about chicken rice franchise, I think that Boon Tong Kee is seriously overrated and overpriced.
I fondly remember the time when kfc had metal plates and utensils.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I fondly remember the time when kfc had metal plates and utensils.

After PepsiCo bought over KFC and Pizza Hut, good food turned into junk food. They won't interested in the food business itself, they're interested in them as fast outlets for their soft drinks. In earlier years, PepsiCo had lots of problems competing in this area as Coca Cola cornered most of the fast food markets with contracts with McDonald's, Burger King etc.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
After PepsiCo bought over KFC and Pizza Hut, good food turned into junk food. They won't interested in the food business itself, they're interested in them as fast outlets for their soft drinks. In earlier years, PepsiCo had lots of problems competing in this area as Coca Cola cornered most of the fast food markets with contracts with McDonald's, Burger King etc.

yes KFC is so lousy now, so after pepsi aka mormon took over, it went down, then in singapore they went halah and went down the drain.

KFC in non muslim state is much better.

why should singapore KFC cather to muslim? just to get a little more sale?
we are not muslim state.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yes KFC is so lousy now, so after pepsi aka mormon took over, it went down, then in singapore they went halah and went down the drain.

KFC in non muslim state is much better.

why should singapore KFC cather to muslim? just to get a little more sale?
we are not muslim state.

I do agree that Singapore KFC borders on unpalatability, especially the so-called original recipe version, total visual and gastronomic disaster. Hoever, I think that the state of KFC food in Singapore has nothing to do with halal or non-halal; it's something to with the Singapore management.

In Malaysia, KFC fried chicken pieces looks and tastes so much better than Singapore, and it's halal for sure. But one Singapore non-Muslim brandname that went from famously delicious to common barely edible after converting to halal is Old Chang Kee curry puff and snacks.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I do agree that Singapore KFC borders on unpalatability, especially the so-called original recipe version, total visual and gastronomic disaster. Hoever, I think that the state of KFC food in Singapore has nothing to do with halal or non-halal; it's something to with the Singapore management.

In Malaysia, KFC fried chicken pieces looks and tastes so much better than Singapore, and it's halal for sure. But one Singapore non-Muslim brandname that went from famously delicious to common barely edible after converting to halal is Old Chang Kee curry puff and snacks.

what happen to the original recipe version of KFC? it was so bad now. since that spicy version came out. original recipe used to be so good, eat already feel shiok. i dun know, either way, KFC need to do something about it's quality. where it source the chicken. not left it for too long.

back then we have wait quite some time to eat KFC, now it is cook well in advance. especially the original verison, it is left in that box for so long, so when you order it, and eat, it taste like shit.

i miss the good old original recipe, back when it is a restaurant, not a mormon play thing. not a fast food chain.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
especially the original verison, it is left in that box for so long, so when you order it, and eat, it taste like shit.
i miss the good old original recipe, back when it is a restaurant, not a mormon play thing. not a fast food chain.
Ramseth said:
Singapore KFC borders on unpalatability, especially the so-called original recipe version, total visual and gastronomic disaster. Hoever, I think that the state of KFC food in Singapore has nothing to do with halal or non-halal; it's something to with the Singapore management
To digress a bit away from rice. KFC nuggets also taste like cardboard.

Arnold's is better (and juicier bet), with Q nos, at their City Plaza branch. And muslims needn't worry about mormons too:p

http://www.hungrygowhere.com/singapore/arnold_s_fried_chicken/

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To digress a bit away from rice. KFC nuggets also taste like cardboard.

KFC nuggets are as edible as rain-drenched and sunshine-dryed timber planks. The only thing acceptably edible from KFC Singapore is probably the chicken burger (I think it's call zinger).

On fast food, MacDonald's have two things acceptably edible, their fish fillet burger and their chicken nuggets especially with their curry sauce. They also have one thing outstanding, their French fries. Even many 5-star restaurants don't serve as good French fries as McDonald's.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Dear Scroobal,

As you wish, classified under Culture. :wink:

http://singaporealternatives.blogspot.com/2009/09/secrets-of-hainanese-chicken-rice.html

Goh Meng Seng

Bro, just a suggestion. Any chance of putting this in your blog in a light hearted folder etc. It may not be appropriate being a political blog but your explanation/receipe is the best that I come across.

On my travels, I would like to share with ex-singaporeans and singaporeans based overseas. I know that I can copy it but I tend to lose these things. Its easier to remember you and google your blog.

Would understand if you don't want to do it.