• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Bond investors in Spore be careful

abcdexyz

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everything I have is invested in Malaysian & US equities & my investments are returning a dividend of 50k to 100k .

I just need 50k/year for daily use & re-invest the balance that is left.

this is cool. i hope to be like you one day. my dividend still below 20k.

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone thinks now is a good time to buy some Deutsche Bank shares?

Very good question. Not for the man on the street but certainly our almighty DBS should consider swallowing up DB as DBS's market cap is 30% higher than DB now.

Chance of a Lifetime to MAKE SINGAPORE GREATER!
MAJULAH SINGAPORE

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/02/no-a...man-media-say-amid-lehman-moment-worries.html

No way Merkel can bail out Deutsche Bank, German media say

Analysts call Deutsche Bank bailout 'political suicide' for Merkel
Friday, 30 Sep 2016 | 6:08 AM ET | 00:33

German Chancellor Angela Merkel cannot afford to bail out Deutsche Bank given the hard line Berlin has taken against state aid in other European nations and the risk of a political backlash at home, German media wrote on Saturday.

The government denied a newspaper report on Wednesday that it was working on a rescue plan for Germany's biggest bank, as its shares went into a tailspin fueled by a demand for up to $14 billion from U.S. authorities for mis-selling mortgage-backed securities before the financial crisis.

Germany, which has insisted Italy and others accept tough conditions in tackling their problem lenders, can ill afford to be seen to go soft on its flagship bank, the Frankfurter Allgemeine wrote.

"Of course Chancellor Merkel doesn't want to give Deutsche Bank any state aid," it wrote in a front-page editorial. "She cannot afford it from the point of view of foreign policy because Berlin is taking a hard line in theItalian bank rescue."

The Munich-based Sueddeutsche Zeitung wrote that Merkel would be breaking a promise to taxpayers if she were to bail the bank out, which could spell disaster for her re-election bid next year as the anti-immigration AfD party gains ground.

The AfD is already benefiting from a backlash against Merkel's open-door refugee policy, makinghuge gains in two regional elections last month and hitting an all-time high of 16 percent support in an opinion poll last week.

"A state aid package would drive voters into the arms of the AfD," the Sueddeutsche wrote in an editorial. "Domestic political considerations make it unlikely that Berlin would play this joker. Even more unlikely is that the European Commission would agree. The political risk would be simply too high."

Shares in Deutsche Bank recovered somewhat on Friday from a record low early in the day after a report that it was close to a cut-price settlement of $5.4 billion instead of $14 billion.

The bank, the U.S. Department of Justice and the German finance ministry all declined to comment on the report.

The crisis also prompted Deutsche Bank's normally reticent Chief Executive John Cryan to publish a letter seeking to reassure staff the bank was stable and hitting out at "forces" that wanted to weaken trust in the bank.

The Stuttgarter Zeitung wrote on Saturday: "Deutsche Bank has to win back ground here because as exaggerated as the reports of an existential danger to the bank may have been, just as obvious are its continuing difficulties."

"Trust is a bank's most important currency."

abcdexyz

Alfrescian
Loyal
not sure whether my Oil n Gas shares will be like Bank shares in 2007.....drop so much and hard to recover. even collect 40 years dividend also can't break even:(

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
China Said to Allow Default Swap Trade in 1st as Bad Debts Rise
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-of-cds-in-nation-s-interbank-market-ite5sevj

"The problem is China doesn’t have a good variety of market participants yet. Now banks are the main players in the credit market so it’s likely the risks will still be within the banking system. But the good thing is the government can now allow more corporate failures.”

China-CDS hints that the chinese govt will eventually let some weak state-owned enterprises default their bonds.

bart12

Alfrescian
Loyal
You must have a lot of capital to invest to get that amount of dividend.. I can only get 20K dividend because I have too much fear for the market and will only commit 40% for investment.. the rest of the cash parking in the bank earning less than 1.5% interest. Like you , I need 50K per year to retire comfortably and it is tough to generate that kind of passive income.. I probably should consider renting my property and move to Malaysia to lower my daily expense.
Everything I have is invested in Malaysian & US equities & my investments are returning a dividend of 50k to 100k .

I just need 50k/year for daily use & re-invest the balance that is left.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i think merkel will have to save DB and she will make way for next. besides, she has been there for many years alrdy and DB saga is political inclined.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You must have a lot of capital to invest to get that amount of dividend.. I can only get 20K dividend because I have too much fear for the market and will only commit 40% for investment.. the rest of the cash parking in the bank earning less than 1.5% interest. Like you , I need 50K per year to retire comfortably and it is tough to generate that kind of passive income.. I probably should consider renting my property and move to Malaysia to lower my daily expense.

I'm a buyer & holder type of investor.

I started investing many, many,... years ago when the price of the shares were cheap. I got my Apple share from $7 to under $100. My Malaysian shares date back to pre-CLOB days e.g. got my Public Bank shares for RM$10. Malaysian shares might have sufffered due to the weakening ringgit but they are cheap & do provide dividends. If the ringgit appreciates they should be worth even more :smile:

Of course I did buy many other shares that didn't go anywhere, some made loses e.g. Lucent, some profits but over time I disposed the loss makers & stuck with the winners. Have at various times owned & sold Dell, IBM, HP, CISCO, Chesapeak, J&J,...

I worry about future health problems that may cost me $$$$ & that is what motivates me to re-invest & make more $$. As a Sporean I know that the PAP gov't is not there to help & everything is DIY. That is why I have plans to move somewhere cheaper. If I die a natural death, my wealth will pass on to my descendants.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

if u were younger my age,u would have lower expectations,20k per year would be more than enough to leave this godforsaken country and seek my freedom in australia.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this is cool. i hope to be like you one day. my dividend still below 20k.

You have to be patient & lucky.

In my case I relied heavily on the dividends from my Malaysian investments to live on. That changed when Apple started to pay dividends. Tim Cook has promised to gradually increase the dividend rate. The dividends have been increasing on a yearly basis: 47 cents, 52 cents, 57 cents,..??

bart12

Alfrescian
Loyal
if u were younger my age,u would have lower expectations,20k per year would be more than enough to leave this godforsaken country and seek my freedom in australia.
I have already left Spore.. If you are young , you don't need a lot of money to migrate. As long as you can land a job, you are good to go.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think 90% depends on luck.
No luck, everything also useless.

Also must be willing to take the extra steps to actually invest the $ :smile:
I remember that back when I opened my US trading brokerage account with Etrade they didn't have an office in Spore & you had to do everything via their US office. Getting an internet account with Singnet was also a hassle.

Throughout my working career I got into the habit of always putting something aside to invest $ whether it was for an RRSPs, mutual funds, or stocks. Working for an american MNC made it easier because they offered employees a chance to buy stocks at a discount.