• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Big Leonard and NS policies

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The age requirement at that period of time was 11. His younger brother certainly qualified for eventual NS exemption. Press reports state that he was 12 when he left, so he did not make the cut. All young male Singapore passports at that time expired when your DOB at age 11 even if applied for one a few month before 11 years of age.

The age was upgraded later to 13 and no longer tied to the renewal of Singapore passport.

I am basing the age he emigrated based on reports that he is 28 now and emigrated 18 years ago in Dec 2000. This means he would have emigrated when he was about 10/11. We won't know exactly as his month of birth has not been reported. It should be in Jun/July though as his first "Registration for NS" letter (sent by CMPB within 2 weeks after one reaches 16.5) was in Dec 2005. This would mean he emigrated when he was about 11.5 years (again assuming he was a Jun/Jul baby).

But that's not crucial. What is important is that he passed that magical age of 10 when he emigrated. It is an arbitrary age that the Singapore Government deems one to have "enjoyed substantial socio-economic benefits" which then requires these kids to serve NS. The age may have changed to 8 but I don't want to pull stories out of my ass to claim that this 8 is gospel truth without being able to source it or provide evidence. So, that age of 8 is strictly speculative.

I can't believe he thought he could get away. Either that or he was blissfully ignorant of the rules which is equally shocking considering his "status". If not, it would mean he is hopelessly lacking in foresight and failed to realise that come one day, his sons would in all likelihood, have to return to Singapore for one reason or another before their deaths.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Frankly the father's credentials speak for themselves. He is well regarded in his field. He came from a rare breed who qualified for the once in a life-time chance to switch vocations with another round of scholarships. He went on to do his MSC in Cambridge. I am sure he would succeed wherever he went in this World. Its not like he never left the shores of Singapore and have no clue what to do outside. He did his first degree in engineering in NZ and his last in the UK. However when it comes to family, the dynamics are different. There are some ultra smart and capable individuals who are icons in their field of practice but end up with kids who are drug addicts, deviants and lost causes. Some even with best parenting. This has to go down to complexity of nature.

I know of a CEO of a local bank who then went on to become the Chairman of another local bank. He spent couple of years pulling his hair out handling his eldest daughter when she went to UK to study and then to Australia. Every year there will be an episode. One night he reached out to many of his contacts to save his daughter from the Melbourne triad. Even when she came back to Singapore for break, the daughter and her gang fought with a bunch of Ah Lians at Boat Quay. The father intervened and naturally the Ah Lians got into trouble with the Police and it made the press on an unfair society.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I know of a CEO of a local bank who then went on to become the Chairman of another local bank. He spent couple of years pulling his hair out handling his eldest daughter when she went to UK to study and then to Australia. Every year there will be an episode. One night he reached out to many of his contacts to save his daughter from the Melbourne triad. Even when she came back to Singapore for break, the daughter and her gang fought with a bunch of Ah Lians at Boat Quay. The father intervened and naturally the Ah Lians got into trouble with the Police and it made the press on an unfair society.

Yeah the daughter was driving dad's Merc that night and his car got smashed too.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
............CEO of a local bank who then went on to become the Chairman of another local bank......

Yeah the daughter was driving dad's Merc that night and his car got smashed too.

Dead giveaway as only one such person-how about the one that became a newsreader for a short while.
Anyway we have gone off topic here-from sons of T to daughters of S

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
The age requirement at that period of time was 11. His younger brother certainly qualified for eventual NS exemption. Press reports state that he was 12 when he left, so he did not make the cut. All young male Singapore passports at that time expired when your DOB at age 11 even if applied for one a few month before 11 years of age.

The age was upgraded later to 13 and no longer tied to the renewal of Singapore passport.

All the parents had to do was to apply for the permitted 9 month extension from ICA and have that extension stamped in the kids' passport when the passport "expired" at 11, and the kids would then be able to leave the country.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I am pretty sure it is because the father cannot make it in Canada. Went back to work. Go to Canada usually means start in an entry level job eg cashier, labourer, cleaner, fast food etc. SC TCM the Atas type cannot bring himself down to that level. So go the easy way. Go back Singapore and work in his old job. That is where all the problem arises. I am sure there is more to the story. With his wife and kids in Canada did he pay income tax to CRA?

Bullshit lah. this guy was a more then competent lawyer in singapore. He could easily be called to the bar in Ontario if he took whatever test they ask him to. If you can practice medicine in canada after practicing here, why can't he? he probably would have made a very decent living in law in canada. There is clearly is another reason.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
My two cents' worth is that the father or the family thought at the time of leaving that they could burn bridges and then the problem will not even surface. But one never knows in life...a loved one is dying or very sick, and then the heart strings and conscience tug ever constantly, so the resistance to stay away gets worn down..

I go to Hong Kong quite often and there are a lot of these astronaut fathers there. Mostly the reason they send the wife and kids to Canada or the US to study and live there is so they can have their fun in HKG. They are keeping one or 2 mistresses in HKG. The wives hate it because they cannot keep an eye on the husbands while in Canada. Happening quite often for mainland chinese with money too.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Black merc as I recalled. The girl was helluva troublemaker and they were fighting over girls. In Melbourne she locked herself in the apartment and called her father in Singapore for help as the triad was outside banging on her door.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, off-topic. The point is that you can choose your friends but not your family no matter how bright and successful you are.

Dead giveaway as only one such person-how about the one that became a newsreader for a short while.
Anyway we have gone off topic here-from sons of T to daughters of S

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am pretty sure it is because the father cannot make it in Canada. Went back to work. Go to Canada usually means start in an entry level job eg cashier, labourer, cleaner, fast food etc. SC TCM the Atas type cannot bring himself down to that level. So go the easy way. Go back Singapore and work in his old job. That is where all the problem arises. I am sure there is more to the story. With his wife and kids in Canada did he pay income tax to CRA?

I speculate that he is unlikely to file his T1 with CRA.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I go to Hong Kong quite often and there are a lot of these astronaut fathers there. Mostly the reason they send the wife and kids to Canada or the US to study and live there is so they can have their fun in HKG. They are keeping one or 2 mistresses in HKG. The wives hate it because they cannot keep an eye on the husbands while in Canada. Happening quite often for mainland chinese with money too.

big big B I N G O !

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nothing more than the usual pivoting and distracting tactics after being shown up. It has been going on for about 20 years now.

yes, more name droppings and sidewinder stories expected. veterans of 20 years or more know the tired modus operandi everytime we log in.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Bullshit lah. this guy was a more then competent lawyer in singapore. He could easily be called to the bar in Ontario if he took whatever test they ask him to. If you can practice medicine in canada after practicing here, why can't he? he probably would have made a very decent living in law in canada. There is clearly is another reason.

So easy migrate. Then why you say most Singaporeans would give a right testicle to migrate to Canada? Why must give testicle so jia lat?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
he is supposed to. Its world wide income
for Canada.

Yeah so easy migrate right? So easy get high paying job in Canada right?

So easy why the TCM don't stay in Canada leh? Why don't file tax leh?

Must hear the whole story lah. Could very well be TCM is the one cannot go to Canada visit family and sons Liao. So sons had to go back to SG.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
TCM does not hold a Canadian citizenship. He is not obliged to file any taxes in Canada. Like most countries you are required to fulfil a period of residency and he never migrated.

Clearly the family has been in a bind for quite a long while. I have heard enough stories of kids sent alone or with one parent and could not make adjustment and wants to come back

I guess we will never know what the family motivations are.

Yeah so easy migrate right? So easy get high paying job in Canada right?

So easy why the TCM don't stay in Canada leh? Why don't file tax leh?

Must hear the whole story lah. Could very well be TCM is the one cannot go to Canada visit family and sons Liao. So sons had to go back to SG.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does not apply to those who want to migrate for good. The extension was introduced after the age cut-off was moved from 11 to 13 and passport control was removed. This was to follow the change in NRIC issuance from 11 to 15.

All the parents had to do was to apply for the permitted 9 month extension from ICA and have that extension stamped in the kids' passport when the passport "expired" at 11, and the kids would then be able to leave the country.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
He is not a citizen of Canada. His sons are.

You mentioned that the entire family obtained PR back then. If his wife and kids had remained in Canada, he should have filed taxes for 5 years (period before his PR lapses).

Did he? Anyway this is all speculative. But I am sure there is a lot more to the story.