• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Best Steak in Town

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Have to admit it’s my mistake about the precut meat. My first time there and as I did not specify not to cut when it arrived I just took it and didn’t want to make a fuss.

Indeed if you cut your own it’s better especially a big piece of meat like this. A few times I had the la bistecca in Florence it comes uncut and at 1.4kg it really cannot be precut.

Thanks @Papsmearer and @eatshitndie for the reminder though.

As for the wine I think it’s a matter of preference and it’s price is immaterial

Glad u enjoyed your meal, especially when its free. But a good steak house will never cut up the steak and serve it to you. That is why I already mentioned Wolfgang is not that great. And eatshit is right, i would have told them to take the steak back and give me an uncut one. Is that butter its sitting on?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Glad u enjoyed your meal, especially when its free. But a good steak house will never cut up the steak and serve it to you. That is why I already mentioned Wolfgang is not that great. And eatshit is right, i would have told them to take the steak back and give me an uncut one. Is that butter its sitting on?

No it’s not butter rather it’s the fats. Butter would have killed it.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually high-end steak houses slice porterhouse cuts before they are brought to the table. Its a larger or the largest cut in a restaurant and therefore hard to get it right and they have no intention to get it wrong when tops chefs handle it. Its easier to get it right with ribeye etc. Its one way to spot a high end from the rest. Peter Lugers ( Michelin) in NY which is popular with the UN lot (ask Tommy) has been doing it for nearly half a century. You can always ask them not to cut.

Go down to Cut at 45, Park Lane, Dorchester, London vicinity. The porterhouse is not on their menu but you can ask and it will come sliced - the ribeye, sirloin etc do not. Every Singaporean uncle and aunty will order ribeye, sirloin cuts because thats all they know. The porterhouse has fats and thats where the magic is.

All these years, I have never commented on his food and wine/spirit selection because they are practically flawless. I did notice that Froggy food and cuisine adventures are not done by fluke. Its either well researched or by asking someone knowledgeable or both.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't think they really care.

Their chefs are probably cheap part timers or ITE graduates. Throw the meat onto the sizzler, cook until the buzzer rings, flip it around, repeat and serve.

Why would anyone pay so much for that sort of steak? You can get similar steaks at Ashton's or some hawker western stall. You are overpaying for the concept of fine dining. The food is still prepared in the same sort of kitchen like Aston's.
i try every steakhouse in my area as there are like 69 around and i make an effort to visit all within a 69-mile radius. apart from the chained restaurants there are one-offs. these are some of the better ones. morton’s is rated by me as down the totem pole at 6.9th place from last. best cut for me from alexander is dry aged wagyu ribeye. porterhouse cut is never available with dry aged wagyu. the quantity in the freezer is small at any good restaurant thus they don’t stock it with fresher and more frequent deliveries. only fat american gluttons order the porterhouse cut but all restaurant owners advise me against trying it. i had one from the best in walnut creek and it was awful. it’s just a very large t-bone with tenderloin fillet (a.k.a fillet mignon) on one side and new york strip on the other. mostly leaner meat. the wagyu ribeye raised the kobe way has more marble. obviously tpx here doesn’t know jack shit about steaks.

Last edited:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
i try every steakhouse in my area as there are like 69 around and i make an effort to visit all within a 69-mile radius. apart from the chained restaurants there are one-offs. these are some of the better ones. morton’s is rated by me as down the totem pole at 6.9th place from last. best cut for me from alexander is dry aged wagyu ribeye. porterhouse cut is never available with dry aged wagyu. the quantity in the freezer is small at any good restaurant thus they don’t stock it with fresher and more frequent deliveries. only fat american gluttons order the porterhouse cut but all restaurant owners advise me against trying it. i had one from the best in walnut creek and it was awful. it’s just a very large t-bone with tenderloin fillet (a.k.a fillet mignon) on one side and new york strip on the other. mostly leaner meat. the wagyu ribeye raised the kobe way has more marble. obviously tpx here doesn’t know jack shit about steaks.

shhh.... don't tell Screwedballs that. He thinks he knows a lot about steaks.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Thanks for your recommendation. I will keep your advice in mind when scouting around for a good place to bring the wifey out for steak. She cares for fine dining more than I do.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't think they really care.

Their chefs are probably cheap part timers or ITE graduates. Throw the meat onto the sizzler, cook until the buzzer rings, flip it around, repeat and serve.

Why would anyone pay so much for that sort of steak? You can get similar steaks at Ashton's or some hawker western stall. You are overpaying for the concept of fine dining. The food is still prepared in the same sort of kitchen like Aston's.

Lanjiao you JT....
You just shown up yourself as the cheapo heartlander that you are.
This thread about good steaks and you bring up Aston’s hahaha

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Lanjiao you JT....
You just shown up yourself as the cheapo heartlander that you are.
This thread about good steaks and you bring up Aston’s hahaha

Ashton's have many branches after starting off as a humble western steak stall. Their steaks can't be all that bad.

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal

The best steak ....n mushroom bbq I had was in MGM Vegas.....out of the world!!
damage was US$450 ea pax.............lucky uncle Junket picked up the tab!!!!!!!
NEXT BEST WAS A STEAKHOUSE - 1 km from Spielbank _ was in Aachen serving premium cut Argentinian beef...huge chunk but done just right! Out of the world. .................no need to eat anymore till next dinner.

BTW WOLFGANG PUCK STEAK CONSIDERED LOW CLASS THERE...CAN BE GOTTEN FOR US$30/-. GUY SAVOY IN CESAERS NOT BADT TO BUT COMPLETE COURSE WILL BURN $800 LOBANG IN POCKET IF NO UNCLE JUNKET

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
We seemed to like this place so we're back again

IMG_20180101_215059.jpg

IMG_20180101_214752.jpg

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
shhh.... don't tell Screwedballs that. He thinks he knows a lot about steaks.
easy to sexpose a pupil pretending to be professor. once open mouth can instantly tell it’s bs. sometimes it’s better for the ignorant to just shut up than disgracing and shaming ownself by claiming to know it all and know it best, including dismissing all on matters relating to steak. and what did he bring out? porterhouse. wahahaha! what a fucking joke. anyone who mentions “high end” steakhouses in ny and london already has no clue. the oldest and most expensive are some of the worst. especially in ny and uk. old school, fool gongcheebyes with their age, price and tradition, use old methods, make more money from selling old wines (old different from aging well), quality of beef average, source of meat questionable. uk is hotbed of madcow disease, so is ny and chicago (eastcoast and midwest area), and the way cattle is raised there is highly questionable. and these so called ny, chicago and uk high end joints rely on old suppliers to deliver the beef. one big red flag already. in europe, uk and germany are not highly regarded for steaks. uk is worst due to rampant cases of madcow. best steak in europe can be found not in france, nor spain, but italy. although all these 3 cuntries don’t have big cattle industry they raise cows mainly for milk, cream and cheese. occasionally they will slaughter a few old cows for beef. but if they do italian steakhouses in alpine cuntry know their stuff. french and spaniards add sauce to beef which is not good practice. but cattle from these 3 cuntries are grass fed, pasture raised and as organic as they can be. it’s not just cooking and cut, but the source of the beef that is important for a good steak. today not even texas is highly regarded for steaks but northern california and argentina which have pastures to raise cattle (big diff when meat shop says grass fed vs: pasture raised), cowboys to bring them home, attention to quality and health of cattle, type of cattle. unlike argentina there’s a lot more wagyu variety in northern cal now besides the usual black angus, thanks to jp. the avant garde steakhouses staffed with younger chefs who believe in pasture raised organc beef are now more popular with the very wealthy as they use better fresher meat from small ranches nearby, not airflown and frozen for months. these are the true top of the totem pole places when it cums to steak. best of course is my own when i pick a dry aged rack of bone-in wagyu prime rib and roast it or grill it myself. as a bone-in rack one can have it cut into steaks with bone or keep it intact as a rack but with meat partially removed from bone.

Last edited: