• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Best compact camera in 2012 - sony RX100

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
953C754F0664443089E576DD4892E577.jpg

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[video=youtube;BmEbcxNUY6U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmEbcxNUY6U&feature=share&list=UUuw8B6Uv0cMWtV5vbNpeH_A[/video]

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks for the recommendations,,,I am upset tat Canon is not lifting its game to counter sony...I have been a loyal Canon fan for more than 10 years..n heard tat Sony is really getting aggressive in the camera market..n camera's r more canon's territory than sony. but sony is coming out w better compacts...I might get the EOS M depending in price

I know.

I guess that you will buy it and recommend your friend to buy Sony RX100.

The next camera above RX100 is fuji XE-1.

Then the next camera above XE-1 is Nikon 800E.

Then the next level is the boss Phase one IQ160 or IQ180.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks for the recommendations,,,I am upset tat Canon is not lifting its game to counter sony...I have been a loyal Canon fan for more than 10 years..n heard tat Sony is really getting aggressive in the camera market..n camera's r more canon's territory than sony. but sony is coming out w better compacts...I might get the EOS M depending in price

no no no, fuji XE-1 have the quality of 5d2 or 5d3, you dun buy EOS M to get quality of 600D for that price and size. Believe me, go do your own research.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
no no no, fuji XE-1 have the quality of 5d2 or 5d3, you dun buy EOS M to get quality of 600D for that price and size. Believe me, go do your own research.

Thanks bro, will look at the XE 1.....hope it does not have the slow focus problem like the X 1

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sony RX100 one of 50 'best inventions' of 2012 says TIME Magazine

TIME Magazine has included the Sony Cyber-shot RX100 in its list of the 50 'best inventions' of 2012. TIME's Techland's blog called the RX100 a 'huge leap' in the trend towards smaller and more capable digital cameras, thanks to its 'innovative design and 1-in sensor'. The list of 50 inventions is organized by cost, from 'priceless' up to '2.5 billion' and also includes self-inflating tires, the Curiosity Mars rover, and LiquiGlide, a microscopic non-slip coating.
TIME Magazine's full description, as posted on its Techlands blog is as follows:

'Digital cameras have been getting smaller and more capable every year, but that trend took a huge leap forward in 2012 with the Sony RX100, which bridges the gap between point-and-shoots and pro-quality digital SLRs. Sony’s innovative design and 1-in. (2.5 cm) sensor allow the camera to take flawless photos even though it’s 20% slimmer than your average digital SLR—small enough to fit in your pocket.'

When we reviewed the RX100, earlier this year, we were very impressed. What do you think of the RX100's inclusion in Time's list? Let us know in the comments.

sonyrx100digitalcamera.jpg

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
no way the next S100 can beat sony rx100, just too far behind. The gap is too big. No chance.

My S95 serves me very well for the time being. I will consider buying another a few years down the road and by then prices will probably go to a level which is more affordable for a compact.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi Neddy,

the thing with the RX100 is many mirrorless systems are much cheaper,,i think from a cost benefits thingy,,the S100 on kogan is a better deal,,my s90 still working so no need to upgrade,,but might consider something else next year as s90 is getting old

S100 has built-in ND filter. :smile: RX100 does not.

there will be no sale for rx100 this year, because it is flying off the shelf.

Alas! Usually happen to awarded products.
I just chat with a friend, he just received one from Kogan last week, it has a bad (dead???) pixel in the sensor - he can either remap the pixel or do a product exchange/returns.

Last edited:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
even the nikon 1 on kogan is cheaper than the rx100...but for compact i rather spend less and get the s100...the new s115 or whatever is not worth it,,no big deal

S100 has built-in ND filter. :smile: RX100 does not.

Alas! Usually happen to awarded products.
I just chat with a friend, he just received one from Kogan last week, it has a bad (dead???) pixel in the sensor - he can either remap the pixel or do a product exchange/returns.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
intro.jpg

The Sony RX100 wasn't the first camera to feature a 1" sensor, but it was the first to fit it in a body as small as a conventional compact. The 13.3 x 8.8mm sensor may only be one-third the size of a typical DSLR chip but it's 2.7x larger than those used in most enthusiast compacts - meaning the RX100 was able to offer impressive image quality in a genuinely pocketable body.

Now Sony has introduced the RX100 II (also known, confusingly, as the RX100 M2 - it's II on the top, and M2 on the bottom label: we'll be using the former until someone gives us firmer guidance), which it says will sell as a sister model to the existing camera. A new, back-illuminated 20MP sensor (the largest BSI chip we've yet encountered), gives a claimed 40% improvement in low-light sensitivity, which should allow the RX100 II to focus faster in low light than its predecessor, as well, of course, as resulting in cleaner high-ISO images.

Meanwhile, the camera's enthusiast appeal is bolstered by the addition of a Multi-Interface hot shoe, allowing use of external flashguns or, significantly, accessories such as an electronic viewfinder. The rear screen also now tilts up and down, which should make the RX100 II more flexible to use and more at ease in bright light. Impressively, Sony achieved this while adding just 2mm to the camera's depth - so it retains its pocketable prowess. The RX100 II will cost $750 - $100 more than the MSRP of the RX100.
Key Features:

1"-type Exmor-R BSI-CMOS sensor (13.2 x 8.8mm, 3:2 aspect ratio)
20.2 million effective pixels
28-100mm (equiv), f/1.8-4.9 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* lens
Steady-Shot image stabilization
ISO 160-12,800 (Down to ISO 100 and to 25,600 expanded)
NFC-mediated Wi-Fi allowing file transfer and control from smartphones
Rear control dial and customizable front control ring
10fps continuous shooting in 'Speed Priority' mode
Tiltable 3" 1.2M-dot 'WhiteMagic' LCD screen
13 Picture Effects (27 with variations)
Memory Recall feature can store up to three groups of custom settings
1080p60 video, (AVCHD) with MP4 option (50p in PAL regions)
Built-in stereo microphones
330-shot battery life (CIPA)

The RX100 II also manages to find room to include Wi-Fi capabilities that can be set-up using near field communication (NFC) if you have a smartphone that supports it. iPhone users will have to set the Wi-Fi up manually.

The RX100 II's video capabilities have also been expanded, with the camera now offering the ability to capture 1080p footage at 24 frames per second, in addition to the 60p and 30p the current RX100 offers (50p/25p on European models).

And when it comes to accessories, it's not just the Multi Interface hot shoe options that the new camera gains. There's also a Multi-Terminal socket for attaching a wired remote - a feature we've seen keen RX100 users modify their cameras to add. And this isn't the only sign that Sony has been looking at what its customers have been adding to their cameras - it's also created a magnetic mount for a filter adapter and a distinctly Richard Franiec-esque glue-on hand grip.

Finally, though Sony hasn't added actual click detents to the front ring, you can now set the zoom to move in steps, which can improve speed, especially for those like to think in focal length equivalents. With the feature activated, the front zoom ring selects among 28, 35, 50, 70, and 100mm equivalents.
A small camera with a big sensor

For those who might have forgotten, the distinguishing feature of the RX100 is its unusually large sensor compared to others in this pocket category, so it bears repeating: A 1"-type sensor is 2.7 times larger than most of the rest of the class, and twice as large as the 2/3" sensor used in the Fujifilm X20 and XF1. The only comparable camera to offer a sensor larger is the Canon G1 X, which offers impressive image quality but with the payoff being bulkier styling and the larger dimensions demanded by its near-DSLR-sized sensor.

In general you can divide the enthusiasts' compact sector by body style, with the Canon S110 exemplifying the conventional compact style and the G12 representing the more bulky, dial-encrusted choices with tunnel-style optical viewfinder. Sony has chosen to go down the compact route and opted for a lens that slows considerably as you zoom in, rather than the bright zooms offered by the Pentax MX-1, Olympus XZ-2, Panasonic LX7 and Fujifilm X20. This is the same balance Canon has chosen with its popular S110, but of course that doesn't have a sensor anywhere near as large as the RX100's.

Despite the large sensor, the RX100 II is still pocketable. It's not the smallest compact camera on the market, but it'll fit in breast pocket of a jacket, making it a genuine carry-around second camera for DSLR owners. In principle, at least, the RX100 shouldn't present the same image-quality compromise that switching across to one of the existing compact cameras would.