• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Best compact camera in 2012 - sony RX100

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
highres-sony_RX100_front-rightjpg_1338966571.jpg

intro2.jpg

Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100_Rear.jpg

Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100_Productshot_Top_jpg-640x512.jpg

Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100_Productshot_Top_2_jpg-640x512.jpg

SONY RX100

1" Exmor CMOS sensor
20.9 million effective pixels
28-100mm (equiv), f/1.8-4.9 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* lens with 'Advanced Aspherical' element
Steady-Shot image stabilization
Contrast-detection AF with 25 points, including tracking and flexible spot options
ISO 125-6400 (ISO 80 and 100 expansion, up to 25,600 using multi-frame noise-reduction)
Face Recognition and Face Registration (up to 8 faces)
Rear control dial and customizable front 'Control Ring'
10fps continuous shooting in 'Speed Priority' mode
3in, 1228.8K-dot 'WhiteMagic' LCD screen
13 Picture Effects with 27 variations
Memory Recall feature can store up to three groups of custom settings
1080 60p video (AVCHD) with MP4 option
Built-in stereo microphone
330-shot battery life (CIPA)

Last edited:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Sony Cyber-shot DSC RX100, to give this camera its full moniker, is Sony's latest shot across the bow of the camera industry. While they have never been a company to shy from forging new product categories, with the RX100 Sony hasn't so much created a new category (small camera – large sensor) as they have redefined it.

This is a true pocket camera, even a shirt pocket – or your jeans pocket without a bulge. The sensor is a 1" CMOS, which makes it as much as 4X larger than a typical point-and-shoot and two to three times larger than its erstwhile competitors, the Fuji X10, Canon S100 and Olympus XZ-1. Only the Canon G1X has a larger sensor, but since that camera is not by any stretch of the imagination a pocket camera I only mention it here for completeness.

Oh yes, did I mention that the RX100's sensor is 20 Megapixels and that the lens, which fully retracts into the body, is a Carl Zeiss branded 28-100mm equivalent lens with a maximum aperture of f/1.8? Raw? Of course. Optical image stabilization? Ah huh. Video? Yup –1080P at 60P or 50P, depending on region.

The rub? Well, there has to be one, right? The RX100 costs $650 in the US, making it as expensive as an entry level DSLR or CSC. But, smaller these days usually means more expensive, not less. That's what one is paying for; great image quality, a fast aperture and decent focal range, raw, and all in a pocket-sized wonder.

The New York Time's Personal Technology columnist David Pogue wrote about the RX100 – "No photos this good have ever come from a camera this small". Let's see for ourselves is this is indeed the case.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sony_rx100.shtml

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Sony RX100 Digital Camera Review. The best pocket digital compact of the year..actually…EVER!

Holy Pocket Rocket! That is what I said when I shot this camera and brought it back home to take a look at the files. The Sony RX100 is a SMALL pocketable camera, as in front pocket camera, and it packs a mean punch though I guess it should for its $650 price tag. I was a little underwhelmed with the latest NEX-F3 basically because it is more of the same old same old. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great camera but to me just a slight upgrade to the NEX-3 and C3. But what I never expected was for Sony to release this RX100 and have it be as good as it is for being so small. Yes my fellow photo enthusiasts, it really is that good and after this and the Nikon V1 I will never again doubt a small sensor camera, ever.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/07/26/the-sony-rx100-digital-camera-review/

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sony Cyber-shot RX100 Review

Sony finally did what so many of us have wanted: They've built a pocketable camera with a large sensor and a bright lens. It's the Sony Cyber-shot RX100, and it'll send other camera makers back to their drawing boards for next season. The Sony RX100 sets a 20.2-megapixel, 1-inch sensor behind a bright 3.6x, f/1.8 lens, and wraps it in a small body not much bigger than a Canon S100.

Indeed, the special magic of the Sony RX100 is how closely they stuck to the stronger points of the S100, one of Canon's more successful premium pocket cameras. For many of us who own a camera in this particular pocket category, the Sony RX100 embodies what we wanted when we laid down our cash for the S100, LX5, or XZ-1: a larger sensor, a bright lens, and a small body.

Many will rightly note how slavishly Sony copied the S90, S95, and S100 digital cameras, much as Nikon heavily imitated the Canon G11 with the Nikon P7000. As a Canon S95 owner, I found it easy to compare the two designs by reaching into my bag. Let's have a quick look. (I wouldn't normally lead with this comparison, and I'm not being cheeky by doing so, it's just such a striking similarity I can't go on talking about the Sony RX100's design without either getting this out of the way, or repeating ad nauseam how similar each element is to the S95.)

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-rx100/sony-rx100A.HTM

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sony Cyber-shot RX100 final thoughts

After years of essentially squeezing digital sensors into traditional SLRs, we’re really living in a golden age of camera technology right now. Into the melting pot are mirror-less system cameras, large sensor compacts, cameras with fixed mirrors and what could be the last of the traditional DSLRs. We’re seeing the ability to compose with a variety of technologies, focus and capture faster than ever before, grab HD video and stills at the same time, and apply a raft of processing tricks in real-time.

Sony is without a doubt at the forefront of this innovation and while the slower moving giants of Canon and Nikon continue to tread carefully so not to cannibalise sales of their existing ranges, Sony seems refreshingly unencumbered by the same strategy. After all, here’s a company which now offers four very different types of cameras to anyone wanting a big sensor: there’s traditional DSLRs, fixed-mirror SLTs, mirror-less NEX and now the compact RX100 to choose from. To be honest Sony arguably has no better idea than anyone else which form factor will triumph, but it’s covering all bases and for that I salute them.

Of all the options, I’m most excited by the new RX100 as it really seems to tick two boxes which so far have been mutually exclusive: a truly small camera with a big sensor. Canon’s G1 X may deliver great quality images with its 1.5in sensor, but it’s just too big for me, not to mention marred by a number of handling issues. Panasonic’s LX and Olympus’ XZ series are very nice, but I personally feel they’re too big given their small sensors - they’re just too close to the greater quality and flexibility of a small mirror-less CSC like the Panasonic GF5 equipped with a pancake zoom. Indeed of all the enthusiast compacts to date, Canon’s S-series have been closest to my ideal with their genuinely pocketable bodies, but again they’re compromised by small sensors.

Sony could have gone down the route of creating a feature-packed Canon G-series clone complete with hotshoe, viewfinder and articulated screen, but instead they’ve opted for the approach of the Canon S-series. As such it skips what are arguably unnecessary features for a compact in order to achieve a much smaller form-factor. To me this was absolutely the right choice - I’d sooner lose some features I already have on a bigger camera in order to produce a much more portable device I can squeeze into a pocket and happily take anywhere.

Of course those who intend to use the RX100 as their primary camera may be disappointed it doesn’t have a viewfinder and hotshoe, but they’re already catered by the G1 X or any number of other existing choices. What we didn’t have until now is a genuinely small body with a big sensor and zoom lens and that’s what Sony’s delivered here. Sure it may be thicker than the S100, but it has a sensor with almost three times the surface area, not to mention a brighter lens, 10fps shooting and a boatload of clever modes.

If the quality and handling lives up to expectations I reckon Sony will be onto a winner, even with the relatively high launch price of $650 USD. I’m sure I won’t be the only one thinking of trading their PowerShot S95 for one come July.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_Cyber-shot_DSC_RX100/

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But on the whole, the RX100 gets it right – it is undoubtedly the best compact camera available today, especially from the point of view of image quality. And I still feel as though it hasn’t shown its full potential yet, hampered by the lack of RAW support. I’ll be taking this camera with me on holiday at the end of the month – and only this camera. (It’s a family trip, not a shooting one; I usually bring the GRDIII for occasions like this). It’ll be interesting to see how it performs, and if I feel like anything is missing – look out for an update early next month. Hopefully we’ll get ACR support by then too.

I didn’t think I’d have quite so much to say about quite so small a camera; the overwhelming feeling is that we’re very nearly at the point where there aren’t that many good reasons left for a larger sensor or even interchangeable lenses for most users – but perhaps that’s another generation out. What I do notice is that the improvement in smaller sensors has also had an effect on the way I compose – rather than seeking shallower depth of field, I’m looking for just enough to give the right amount of separation of subject from background; sometimes, a fast wide on a smaller 1″ sensor is enough; other times, you have no choice but to use 300mm on medium format because of the required perspective. One final point worth noting: this isn’t a cheap camera. In fact, it’s a good 50% over a Pen Mini kit, and comparable to a GX1 kit. It seems that you’re paying double taxes for minaturization and Zeiss optics; but the very few compromises mean that if you already have a large, fully-featured CSC or DSLR, then this is the ideal pocket companion for the times when you just don’t want all that weight. The RX100 isn’t a mature replacement for a larger camera, but the number of reasons to have one around definitely just got smaller. The limitations now rest squarely on the photographer; for most people, this is all the camera they’ll ever need. This is the king of the hill when it comes to compacts – I’ve not yet shot with anything else this size that has such great base ISO image quality and can handle ISO3200 with impunity and minimal consequences to image quality, whilst not holding you up with either focusing or continuous shooting speed. Highly recommended. MT

Coda: I’ve taken to putting some cloth tape on the front of my camera’s grip area for a more secure hold, because as handsome as the smooth anodized aluminium looks, it’s a slippery little bugger. Looks hideous, but I’d rather that than drop a very expensive point and shoot.

One reader also made a good comment on video: I’ve left it out. Yes, the camera can do 1080P 50/60, which is astounding considering its size; I tried it briefly and it looks fantastic, however I lack the expertise in this area to make any comments of weight other than to say that a) I don’t see much, if any, visible artefacting; b) you can zoom while recording, and it’s silent; c) the camera records stereo sound.

http://blog.mingthein.com/2012/08/06/the-sony-rx100-a-somewhat-comparative-review/

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks Singveld.

I will try out this camera and see if it is suitable for my next travel. :smile:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not anymore.

Probably 5% can get great shots with a poor camera. Now nearly 70% can get a decent shot without even trying and just by having a damn good camera. I am not talking about those who can't even compose. Its the exposure, the low and highlights etc that can make a shot outstanding. I carry a low end coolpix for an emergency and it dos a great job when needed but every bit of a high end goes a long way.

I hate to shoot raw and every now and then WB screws me badly.

It's never about the camera.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Not anymore.

Probably 5% can get great shots with a poor camera. Now nearly 70% can get a decent shot without even trying and just by having a damn good camera.

If you're referring to the snapshots that people take on vacations and at social occasions, a cheap camera will take better shots [exposure, focus, depth of field] than an expensive camera in the hands of an inexperienced amateur because everything is automated.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's never about the camera.

I need a camera which can react fast when I am taking pictures out of a moving train.
The problem with compacts is the delay, that by the time the picture is taken, my subject is probably cut from the photos.

Not anymore.

Probably 5% can get great shots with a poor camera. Now nearly 70% can get a decent shot without even trying and just by having a damn good camera. I am not talking about those who can't even compose. Its the exposure, the low and highlights etc that can make a shot outstanding. I carry a low end coolpix for an emergency and it dos a great job when needed but every bit of a high end goes a long way.

I hate to shoot raw and every now and then WB screws me badly.

These days, I do not worry about the sunny 16 sand 22 rule anymore because the camera is so advanced.

Just how the camera sensor cope in low light and the noise from the sensor density is the key to what I look for.

Yes, I need both a quick access knob for EV and a customization button for WB selection. Candid shots and spontaneous photos do not wait for me.

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I need a camera which can react fast when I am taking pictures out of a moving train.
The problem with compacts is the delay, that by the time the picture is taken, my subject is probably cut from the photos.

The best camera for action is the Nikon D4. I owned its predecessor the D3 and the autofocus is very fast and continuous focus tracks very well. The D4 should be even better.

For covert street photography I recommend the Olympus OMD-E5.

For Studio work I recommend the Phase One or the D800

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

all true, but sony rx100 is tiny, fast and good quality picture. It is perfect for some people who do not want to bring a huge camera, their words, not mine.

scbccb

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ah Sam, you have very expensive taste. Can you leecommend the poor man's version of the 3 cameras you leecommended? :confused:

The best camera for action is the Nikon D4. I owned its predecessor the D3 and the autofocus is very fast and continuous focus tracks very well. The D4 should be even better.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have never been a fan of sony..I believe tat the next canon s100 will be better, the canon eos m looks better than the sony nex series..canon can do better,,

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have never been a fan of sony..I believe tat the next canon s100 will be better, the canon eos m looks better than the sony nex series..canon can do better,,

no way the next S100 can beat sony rx100, just too far behind. The gap is too big. No chance.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ok bro I will take it under advisement, meanwhile I will just see what Canon dishes out. Too be honest, since I got Canon Compacts, the last being my s90, I have never looked back but as I dont take many photos now, I just hang on to my s90. And I am now looking at the Canon EOS M...I am Biased against Sony,,but if the Canon S100+++ wont be as good,,,than will consider this Sony,,,

thanks again for the input

no way the next S100 can beat sony rx100, just too far behind. The gap is too big. No chance.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi Singveld,

saw this video [video=youtube;sWSwHZ9_R8o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWSwHZ9_R8o[/video]
and I understand about how big the sensor really is,,,it will be hard to beat by Canon,,,thanks again for the posting. These are really points to consider

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The RX100 is an exciting camera - in part because it represents the arrival of another major manufacturer in the high-end, enthusiast compact market, but mainly because it's a spectacular piece of engineering. To a degree this risks being its undoing - Sony has done such a great job of fitting a large sensor into a small camera that it'd be easy for the uninformed to overlook the near-magic that it must have required.

The RX100 may not look radically different to a recent Canon 'S' series compacts - whose balance of image quality and pocketability have made the S100 darling of its class. But the Sony's much larger sensor means it outshines it in every respect bar price. With around three times more light collecting area and a lens with similar F-number range, the RX100 comfortably trumps the little Canon - though at around a 50% premium.

In fact, despite appearances, the RX100 has more in common with Canon's G1 X than any of its other peers. In terms of zoom compacts, the G1 X is about the only camera that can top the RX100 for image quality but it's also much larger, more expensive and much slower in almost every respect. It's interesting that the only other cameras to balance image quality, speed and size like this are Nikon's 1 System cameras, but they're still not as small, aren't available with as bright a lens, and simply haven't been designed to offer the same level of accessible user control.
Image Quality

Whatever qualms we might have about the handling, we have very few concerns about the RX100's image quality. In most situations, the camera delivers images that are simply better than you would usually expect from a compact camera. The JPEG processing isn't particularly lovely at 1:1 viewing, but with 20MP to play with, there's little reason to look that closely - it captures and conveys plenty of detail at sensible viewing sizes.

Exposure is pretty reliable and the default image settings strike a good balance between neutral and punchy. There are situations in which reds can overexpose, and 'clip' but these aren't frequent and a bit of careful exposure and post-shot-processing can save most shots. We also found the white balance a tiny bit cool for our tastes (it's easy enough to nudge the fine-tune towards Amber, if you wish).

The RX100's lens is only really fast at its wide-angle end, meaning there's no real scope for shallow depth-of-field photography. Add to this its lack of built-in ND filter and, if you try to use its F1.8 setting, you'll quickly hit the limits imposed by its ISO 125 base sensitivity and 1/2000th second maximum shutter speed. Essentially that F1.8 figure is mainly useful for low-light work (and making the camera look good on the shop shelf).'

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100