• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Barclays Premier League Season 2011/2012

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sunday 15th January 2012

735538_33_preview.jpg

No guarantees for Hughes

QPR have refused to guarantee Mark Hughes will not be sacked if the club are relegated from the Barclays Premier League.

New manager Hughes pledged his long-term future to Rangers at his unveiling on Wednesday, insisting he had no intention of reneging on his two-and-a-half-year contract, even if the worst happened. But QPR chief executive Philip Beard declined to give a cast-iron assurance the club would reciprocate.

Asked if they would stick with Hughes should Rangers fail to survive this season, Beard said: "Every football club - and there are probably 12 or 13 of them - have got to contemplate what happens if they don't perform as well as they need to on the pitch.

"That doesn't mean our shareholders go away and we pack up our bags and don't implement what we've been talking about. "The aim is that Mark is here for a very long time and sees through the objectives and the aims.

"I'm a small cog in the wheel but I came here because I believe that the shareholders have got a vision that they want to implement. My job is to try to do that off the pitch and I hope we've found the manager - the right person - to come and do it for us on the pitch."

Pressed further on whether Hughes would definitely be in charge next season, come what may, Beard added: "I hope so. "As far as I'm concerned, Mark is here now to help us fulfil both on the pitch what we want to achieve and help me with his expertise and his team implementing a training ground we can be proud of for the club."

Rangers sacked Neil Warnock on Sunday after they slumped to within a point of the relegation zone and Beard confirmed they had plans in place should they suffer an immediate return to the npower Championship.

"My job is to make sure that the business can be effective for the medium and long-term," he said. "I look at business plans all the time and contingency plans going forward. "I hope what we've done over the last couple of days means that I don't have to get those numbers out. "But I'd be crazy to say that I haven't even thought about what we'd be doing if we didn't stay in the Premier League."

Last edited:

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

1541979556283f35f154b52ef90658e22f6f08f4.jpg

162589_thumb.jpg

'It's one of the best pieces of news I've ever had' - Manchester United legend Sir Bobby Charlton hails Paul Scholes return
The Old Trafford great believes the 37-year-old is a "sensational footballer", while Patrice Evra insists Sir Alex Ferguson has given the rest of a squad a "gift"

137979_thumb.jpg

Jamie Carragher worried that Liverpool's poor home form could cost them top four finish
Following the Reds' goalless draw against Stoke, the Bootle-born defender admitted that work needs to be done in order to secure a Champions League place this season

121423_thumb.jpg

Two-time J-League Golden Boot winner Ryoichi Maeda to return to Japan after unsuccessful West Ham trial
Jubilo Iwata confirmed that the Hammers have opted against signing the Japan international

150032_thumb.jpg

Tottenham's Harry Redknapp rules out swapping midfielder Luka Modric for misfiring Chelsea forward Fernando Torres
The Spurs manager has dismissed rumours linking him with a move for the Spanish striker despite Andre Villas-Boas' side still being linked with his Croatian playmaker

140709_thumb.jpg

Liverpool's Jose Enrique calls for more clinical finishing after Stoke City draw
After the Reds squander more points at Anfield, the former Newcastle United full-back admits they need to start converting their chances if they want to secure a top-four finish

154815_thumb.jpg

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini frustrated by club's refusal to bankroll Daniele De Rossi move - report
The Etihad Stadium boss fears that his side's title bid will suffer if funds aren't provided in the January transfer window, with club officials concerned by the upcoming FFP rules

159616_thumb.jpg

Liverpool managing director Ian Ayre suggests racism cases have damaged club's image & says Luis Suarez should expect abuse from opposition fans
The Reds have been in the spotlight in recent weeks and the club's director confirms it has been a 'difficult time' on Merseyside after various high-profile incidents

159030_thumb.jpg

Roman Pavlyuchenko being priced out of move away from Tottenham, according to agent
The Russian has played only five times in the Premier League for Spurs this season but his agent claims that club chairman Daniel Levy is insistent on selling him at a profit

162598_thumb.jpg

Gary Neville: Tottenham can still challenge for Premier League title despite draw with Wolves
Spurs dropped points at home but the Manchester United icon, now a television pundit, feels they can still mount a challenge for unlikely glory

159701_thumb.jpg

Barcelona join Chelsea in race for Porto's Hulk - report
Pep Guardiola has allegedly named the in-demand attacker as a requirement for him to stay at Camp Nou as the imposing Brazilian appears to be seeking a new challenge

157990_thumb.jpg

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson wants Wayne Rooney improvement after Bolton penalty miss: He had his moments but he can do better
The England striker saw his spot-kick saved by Trotters goalkeeper Adam Bogdan and, despite setting up two of the three goals at Old Trafford, his manager expects more from him

160995_thumb.jpg

Paris Saint-Germain's Carlo Ancelotti hints at move for Manchester City's Carlos Tevez: 'He is a player I really like'
The Italian coach has given a very strong indication that PSG are still after the unsettled Argentine after claiming that the 27-year-old could give his team a helping hand

160819_thumb.jpg

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger keen for 'unsettling' January transfer window to be scrapped
The Gunners' manager suggests clubs should either be able to buy all year round, or not at all, and accepts that it will be 'very difficult' for his side to win the title

162589_thumb.jpg

Been there, done that - Paul Scholes rolls back the years to prove his worth in Manchester United's title bid
The 37-year-old made a dream return to Premier League football with the opening goal in United's 3-0 victory over Bolton on Saturday

162082_thumb.jpg

Firing blanks - Wasteful Liverpool shut out again as reliance on Luis Suarez is laid bare at Anfield
After another disappointing draw at Anfield, their seventh of the Premier League season so far, the Reds need more from their attackers in the absence of their Uruguayan striker

156735_thumb.jpg

Shanghai Shenhua's Nicolas Anelka releases statement thanking Chelsea fans for 'four wonderful years'
Ahead of his move to China with Shanghai Shenhua, the much-travelled French forward expressed his gratitude to the Blues' followers for their support for him down the years

162604_thumb.jpg

Tottenham suffer reality check but upcoming travels will provide true test of their Premier League title credentials
The disappointing 1-1 draw with Wolves on Saturday may dent confidence but it pales into insignificance given the run of crucial games awaiting Spurs in the coming months

162573_thumb.jpg

No longer the main man - Frank Lampard hits crucial winner but his days of being Chelsea's lynchpin are over
The England midfielder has not lost his knack of match-winning contributions but he is not untouchable in the eyes of Andre Villas-Boas

153548_thumb.jpg

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp set for personal scouting mission to watch Marseille star Loic Remy against Lille
Premier League targets Mathieu Valbuena & Eden Hazard will also play but Spurs boss will focus on the France striker at Stade Velodrome as the Londoners prepare a £15m bid

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger keen for 'unsettling' January transfer window to be scrapped

The Gunners' manager suggests clubs should either be able to buy all year round, or not at all, and accepts that it will be 'very difficult' for his side to win the title

Jan 15, 2012 9:02:00 AM

By Stephen Darwin

160819hp2.jpg

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has called for the January transfer window to be scrapped, suggesting the ability to move in the winter unsettles players.

The Gunners boss believes clubs should either be able to buy and sell players all year round or that the transfer window should be closed all year.

"I would leave it completely open all year, or you close it for a whole year. Now, it is in between," Wenger said.

"Everybody becomes nervous in November until January. Then players maybe think, 'If I don't play then I will leave in January'. They are already less committed to the cause, it gives them an opening.

"We have gone from a period where we knew if we didn't play we had to be committed to the club, had no other option but to fight for the place.

"Now there is not a position where the players have a quick and easy way out if it is difficult."

The Frenchman claims that the competitive edge of the Premier League means it is becoming more difficult for new recruits to settle and adjust to England's top flight.

"In the Premier League the level is so high now and it takes him three or four months to adjust," Wenger added.

"You find a young player who doesn't play somewhere and needs to get used to the Premier League, or players who do not play, but by the time they get fit, you will have your injured players back."

After a tricky start to the season the Gunners now find themselves in fifth place in the table although Wenger maintains that winning the Premier League title this term will be a tall order.

He said: "I don't deny that it is very difficult for us to win the league, but it is not impossible because it looks like there are no teams that will keep the consistency they showed in the first half of the season.

"That is what we need, but if they make 45 points again then for us it is impossible."

The north London outfit, along with Chelsea, are still fighting for three major trophies this season and Wenger suggests his side will remain focused on going as far as they can.

"Let's be realistic," he continued. "We still have three challenges left in front of us and there are only two teams who have that in England.

"It's the Champions League, FA Cup and the championship - only us and Chelsea can still do that."

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Barcelona join Chelsea in race for Porto's Hulk - report

Pep Guardiola has allegedly named the in-demand attacker as a requirement for him to stay at Camp Nou as the imposing Brazilian appears to be seeking a new challenge

Jan 15, 2012 10:30:00 AM

159701hp2.jpg

Barcelona are plotting a summer move for Porto attacker Hulk, La Gazzetta dello Sport suggests.

The Brazil international joined Porto from Japanese side Tokyo Verdy in 2008 and has become one of the most sought-after players in the continent with his performances for the Europa League holders.

Chelsea have been mooted as Hulk's principal suitor, but fresh speculation claims that Barca coach Pep Guardiola is keen to take to the powerful striker to Camp Nou.

The 40-year-old trainer has yet to commit his future to the Catalan side beyond the end of this season, when his contract expires, but it is reported that he has told the club's hierarchy that he will sign a new deal if Hulk is recruited.

The 25-year-old attacker, who has scored 12 goals in 24 competitive appearances this season, has a €100 million release clause attached to his contract, which expires in 2016.

He has refused to rule out a move away from Porto, but the striker's agent has guaranted that his client will not force an exit from the Estadio do Dragao outfit.

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea's Romelu Lukaku open to loan move

The Belgian has admitted frustration at a lack of playing time at Stamford Bridge and would welcome the chance to play more regularly elsewhere

Jan 15, 2012 6:46:00 PM

By Alex Meyers

145589hp2.jpg
Chelsea striker Romelu Lukaku says that he would be open to loan move after becoming frustrated at his lack of playing time for the club.

The 18-year old was the subject of a big money move from Anderlecht in the summer but has since struggled to break into manager Andre Villas-Boas’ side.

He is yet to score for the Londoners in his limited appearances and, with Didier Drogba, Fernando Torres and Daniel Sturridge all ahead of him in the pecking order, the Belgian admits he may need a spell away from the club to play regularly.
"You have to be willing to make sacrifices if you really want to succeed at a big club, so I have to be patient," he told Sporza.

“However, if my situation doesn't change in the next six months, I might opt for a one-year loan spell elsewhere.

“That could be in England or in a country like France. I could have a good year at another club, and then return to Chelsea as a better player."

With Drogba playing for the Ivory Coast at the Africa Cup of Nations and the recent departure of Nicholas Anelka to Chinese club Shanghai Shenhua, it seems unlikely that Lukaku would be allowed to leave in this transfer window.

Despite his lack of playing time, the Belgium international believes that the team comes first but also revealed his fear that one mistake could damage his entire Chelsea career.

"It's frustrating that I don't get much playing time, but I also have to think about the team," he continued.

“We were very lucky against Sunderland the other day for example.

“Imagine what it would mean if I came off the bench and lost possession, resulting in a goal. That could be the end of my Chelsea career."

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

656161_10_preview.jpg
Enrique: Reds losing too many home points
Liverpool left-back Jose Enrique could not hide his frustration after seeing his side held at home for the seventh time in the league this season against Stoke City last Saturday.

736995_10_preview.jpg

AVB backs Torres to hit goal trail

Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas believes it may take only one goal for the floodgates to open for Fernando Torres after watching the striker go within inches of scoring.

717151_10_preview.jpg
Barry: City must be prepared to win 'ugly'
Gareth Barry believes Manchester City must be prepared to win ugly at Wigan.

736991_10_preview.jpg

Evra 'proud' to wear United armband

Patrice Evra believes he must show leadership on and off the field after inheriting the Manchester United captaincy.

736984_10_preview.jpg
Liverpool deal close for Defoe?
Liverpool legend Bruce Grobbelaar claims the club are on the verge of signing a new striker.

736960_10_preview.jpg
Henry's dream return turns sour
Thierry Henry was involved in a heated exchange with a fan following Arsenal's 3-2 defeat at Swansea on Sunday.

549707_10_preview.jpg
Coyle: Jussi has helped Bogdan
Bolton manager Owen Coyle credits long-serving number one Jussi Jaaskelainen with helping to improve Adam Bogdan to the point where is a genuine threat to the Finn's status as first-choice keeper at the Reebok Stadium.

676182_10_preview.jpg
Hughes denies QPR exit for Barton
QPR manager Mark Hughes has dismissed suggestions he's ready to offload skipper Joey Barton.

736771_10_preview.jpg
Wenger blames defence for defeat
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger believes the Gunners' defensive frailties were to blame for Sunday's 3-2 loss to Swansea at the Liberty Stadium.

724219_10_preview.jpg
Platt expects Wigan to play the same
Manchester City assistant boss David Platt does not believe there will be a change of philosophy from Wigan even though they are rooted to the foot of the Premier League.

736772_10_preview.jpg
Graham hails quick-fire Swansea
Swansea match-winner Danny Graham felt his side's swift response to Arsenal's goals was key as they won 3-2 at the Liberty Stadium.

736051_10_preview.jpg
Moyes praises loan star Donovan
Everton manager David Moyes has praised on-loan Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder Landon Donovan for making an instant contribution on his return to the Merseysiders.

736786_10_preview.jpg
Parker: Spurs can still win title
Scott Parker insists Tottenham are still genuine title contenders despite Saturday's slip-up against Wolves.

736630_10_preview.jpg
Pardew hopeful over Cabaye injury
Newcastle boss Alan Pardew is hopeful key midfielder Yohan Cabaye did not suffer any lasting damage after finding himself on the wrong end of an X-rated tackle.

736058_10_preview.jpg
Hodgson admits to poor home form
West Brom boss Roy Hodgson has no doubt his side are in a relegation battle - and that their results at home must improve if they are to emerge from it unscathed.

687577_10_preview.jpg
Carragher: Top-four finish difficult
Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher admits the team's difficulties at Anfield are damaging their hopes of a top-four finish.

736519_10_preview.jpg
Windass: I tried to commit suicide
Dean Windass has admitted he recently attempted suicide after battling with depression following the end of his playing career.

586300_10_preview.jpg
Wenger: Chamakh, Arshavin will stay
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has ruled out selling Andrei Arshavin or Marouane Chamakh during the January transfer window.

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

159963_thumb.jpg

‘I’m hoping now I can find my best form again’ – Chelsea striker Fernando Torres takes heart from role in victory over Sunderland
The Spaniard’s flying volley earned him an assist for Frank Lampard’s winner, and although the goals are not yet flowing, he’s encouraged by being able to help the team

157640_thumb.jpg

Adel Taarabt & Michael Ballack - Six European stars who could follow Asamoah Gyan to the Middle East
Big names such as Diego Maradona, Asamoah Gyan and David Trezeguet moved to the Middle East last year and with the transfer window open, who else could make the switch?

113786_thumb.jpg

Liverpool & Manchester United told Wilfried Zaha is not for sale by Crystal Palace boss Dougie Freedman
The Scot has confirmed he has had conversations with Kenny Dalglish and Sir Alex Ferguson about the player, but is adamant he will not leave Selhurst Park in the near future

162855_thumb.jpg

Arsenal's Thierry Henry confronts angry fan after Swansea loss
The Frenchman appeared to aggressively invite a Gunners supporter onto the pitch at the end of the game, but club insist he said: "No matter what, you should support your team"

162734_thumb.jpg

Arsene Wenger's restoration begins to crumble once again as Swansea defeat exposes cracks in Arsenal's foundations
The Gunners hold the worst away record in the division, a statistic displayed at the Liberty Stadium on Sunday, as resurgence gives way to familiar fragility at the Emirates

159776_thumb.jpg

Paris Saint-Germain sporting director Leonardo aware Champions League football key to attracting world stars
The former Brazil international feels that the Qatari-owned French side will be in a position to attract the best players in the game once they are in Europe's top competition

162846_thumb.jpg

Everton boss David Moyes denies Tim Cahill exit rumours and says he still has a part to play at the club
The Australian has struggled for form at Goodison Park this term leading to speculation he could soon be moved on, but the Toffees boss denied that

154254_thumb.jpg

Tottenham Hotspur target Loic Remy declares he's staying at Marseille
Harry Redknapp flew to France on Sunday to watch the player in action but his scouting mission now appears to have been in vain with the forward intent on honouring his contract

143882_thumb.jpg

Scott Parker confident Tottenham can win Premier League
The England international insists his side are not out of the running for the title this season after being held to a 1-1 draw against Mick McCarthy's men at White Hart Lane

161511_thumb.jpg

QPR's Mark Hughes rules out move for Manchester City's Carlos Tevez
The Welshman says he would love to work with the Argentina international again in the future but insists the London club will not be making a move for him this transfer window

162773_thumb.jpg

Swansea's Danny Graham hails ‘deserved’ win over Arsenal
Brendan Rodgers' side emerged 3-2 victors in an entertaining affair at the Liberty Stadium, with the 26-year-old bagging the winner moments after Walcott had levelled at 2-2

141191_thumb.jpg

Swansea's Brendan Rodgers praises his players' commitment to their passing philosophy after 3-2 victory over Arsenal
The Swans manager expressed his delight at seeing his players put the Gunners to the sword after a thrilling encounter in which both teams played attractive football

159065_thumb.jpg

Arsene Wenger bemoans controversial penalty decision as Arsenal slip to defeat at Swansea City
The Frenchman lays the blame for recent away defeats at the door of the officials but insists his side can be a Premier League force once they have a fully fit squad

150843_thumb.jpg

Gennaro Gattuso: Manchester City's Carlos Tevez could still join AC Milan
Rossoneri CEO Adriano Galliani announced on Thursday that the club had abandoned their pursuit of the Argentine but the Italian midfielder does not feel that the deal is dead

145589_thumb.jpg

Chelsea's Romelu Lukaku open to loan move
The Belgian has admitted frustration at a lack of playing time at Stamford Bridge and would welcome the chance to play more regularly elsewhere

127836_thumb.jpg

Chelsea's Petr Cech delighted with clean sheet in 'very important' victory over Sunderland
The Czech Republic international insists Andre Villas-Boas' side are "working to improve" and is pleased the Blues managed to hang on for a win against the Black Cats

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Arsenal's Thierry Henry confronts angry fan after Swansea loss

The Frenchman appeared to aggressively invite a Gunners supporter onto the pitch at the end of the game, but club insist he said: "No matter what, you should support your team"

Jan 16, 2012 8:32:00 AM

By Liam Twomey

162855hp2.jpg
Thierry Henry became embroiled in an argument with a furious fan after Arsenal’s 3-2 defeat at Swansea on Sunday.

Henry appeared to invite the angry supporter down onto the pitch in a provocative manner at the end of a thrilling encounter which saw the Welsh hosts come from behind to outplay their more illustrious opponents and secure a shock victory.

The Frenchman’s fairytale return to Arsenal on loan was tainted slightly by giving the ball away in the build-up to Danny Graham’s 70th minute winner, and he then appeared to be incensed by a comment from a fan as he went over to applaud the visiting support.

A club spokesperson afterwards claimed Henry had said only the words: “No matter what, you should support your team”. Television pictures, however, seem to show him shouting and gesturing angrily towards the travelling Arsenal faithful.

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

4kkeq.jpg

737179_10_preview.jpg
Hughes calls for QPR patience
Mark Hughes insisted there was no need to make wholesale changes on or off the field at QPR after watching their deficiencies exposed at first hand.

737177_10_preview.jpg
Dalglish calls for clinical Liverpool
Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish has called on his players to be more decisive in the final third if they are to solve their goalscoring issues.

728373_10_preview.jpg

Valencia happy with wing return
Antonio Valencia is relieved Manchester United's defensive injury problems have finally started to ease.

736772_10_preview.jpg

Rodgers backs Swans for England
Swansea manager Brendan Rodgers believes Scott Sinclair, Nathan Dyer and Danny Graham have given England boss Fabio Capello plenty to mull over.

555051_10_preview.jpg
Campbell prepared to take it slow
Sunderland striker Fraizer Campbell has insisted he will not rush back from injury after a miserable 17 months on the sidelines.

704202_10_preview.jpg
Coyle hopes for Tim Ream deal
Owen Coyle has confirmed Bolton are hoping to finalise a deal to sign Tim Ream, but has played down reports of a bid for Giovani Dos Santos.

729263_10_preview.jpg
Ireland ready to display best form
Stephen Ireland believes he is close to recapturing his best form and has thanked Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish for the "trust" shown in him.

737088_10_preview.jpg
Everton take Buddle on trial
Everton have taken American international striker Edson Buddle on trial, his agent has confirmed.

619480_10_preview.jpg
Carragher: I want to continue playing
Veteran Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher is refusing to think about life after playing despite having found first-team opportunities limited in recent months.

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

134536_thumb.jpg

Blackburn Rovers defender Christopher Samba hands in transfer request
The centre-back revealed his desire to leave Ewood Park last week, and has now informed the club's board, amid speculation the 27-year-old could join Tottenham

162606_thumb.jpg

Luka Modric: Tottenham need to bounce back in title race against Manchester City on Sunday
The Croatian's second-half equaliser against Wolves on Saturday saw Spurs fall two points behind Manchester United, with Roberto Mancini's men facing Wigan on Monday

127672_thumb.jpg

Freiburg's Papiss Cisse 'flattered' by Sunderland interest
The powerful Senegalese international has bagged 37 goals in 65 Bundesliga matches for the German side, and the Black Forest club admit they may be unable to prevent his departure

124198_thumb.jpg

Manchester United starlet Joshua King joins Hull City on loan until the end of the season
The 20-year-old embarks on his second loan spell of the campaign to gain first team experience after returning from an unproductive stint with Borussia Monchengladbach

110173_thumb.jpg

Official: Chelsea youngster Patrick van Aanholt joins Vitesse on loan until the end of the season
The Dutch defender joins fellow Blues prospects Tomas Kalas and Ulises Davila on loan with the Eredivisie outfit after an underwhelming spell with Wigan was terminated

159963_thumb.jpg

Chelsea’s Oriol Romeu insists Fernando Torres is back in form
The ex-Barcelona midfielder believes the Spaniard has made a positive contribution in recent games, after the striker's volley led to Frank Lampard's winner against Sunderland

162467_thumb.jpg

Official: Chelsea complete £7m signing of Bolton & England defender Gary Cahill
The England defender has finally sealed his move to Stamford Bridge after 16 days of protracted negotiations over personal terms, and could make his debut against Norwich

137979_thumb.jpg

Liverpool's Jamie Carragher not thinking of retirement
The 33 year-old admits he’s eager to discuss a possible ambassadorial role with boss Kenny Dalglish, but insists he wants to keep playing for the club for as long as possible

138795_thumb.jpg

Troubled starlet Ravel Morrison denies turning down contract offer from Manchester United
The 18-year-old took to Twitter to quash speculation he has refused a new deal at Old Trafford after boss Sir Alex Ferguson brands the tricky midfielder's demands as ‘unrealistic'

151673_thumb.jpg

Bolton preparing £4m bid for Tottenham midfielder Giovani dos Santos – report
Owen Coyle is apparently looking to reinvest the money from Gary Cahill’s imminent transfer to Chelsea on a winger, and has identified the Mexican as his top target

159771_thumb.jpg

Real Madrid midfielder Esteban Granero's agent confirms Liverpool interest
The 24-year-old has found opportunities to shine at the Santiago Bernabeu limited, and could leave Jose Mourinho's side in light of interest from the Anfield outfit

150096_thumb.jpg

Marseille coach Didier Deschamps: Tottenham Hotspur boss Harry Redknapp came here for nothing
Despite the 64-year-old attending the French club's game against Lille on Sunday, the former France captain is adamant he will not be selling his star striker this month

161511_thumb.jpg

Inter's Massimo Moratti admits Paris Saint-Germain are serious rivals in race for Manchester City's Carlos Tevez
The Nerazzurri president is aware of the ambitious Ligue 1 side's intentions to lure the striker to France, and awaits the Premier League side's response to their offer

159066_thumb.jpg

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini: Only Barcelona could cope with amount of absentees we have
The Italian says his team cannot yet boast the same level of strength in depth as the Catalan giants as they endure a host of absentees, and admits they are in a "difficult moment"

134536_thumb.jpg

Blackburn's Christopher Samba considering going on strike to force transfer - report
Manager Steve Kean was forced to deny that the centre-back refused to play on Saturday against Fulham, with the player allegedly unhappy with club's £10 million asking fee

162859_thumb.jpg

Manchester City not feeling pressure of being title favourites, says assistant manager David Platt
The former England international insists the greatest anxiety City feel is their own expectation, and believes the same is true for the other title contenders

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

155244_thumb.jpg

Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand an injury doubt for Arsenal game - report
Red Devils centre-back is set to undergo a number of medical examinations ahead of the trip to the Emirates on Sunday after suffering from concussion in the win over Bolton

138701_thumb.jpg

Arsenal's Jack Wilshere to start full training by end of January - report
Gunners midfielder could be back in first-team action by February as he steps up his injury rehab and Arsene Wenger has highlighted the Blackburn match as his potential target

123224_thumb.jpg

Carlo Ancelotti: Chelsea's Fernando Torres, Manchester United's Dimitar Berbatov & Napoli's Edinson Cavani have all been offered to Paris Saint-Germain
The 52-year-old coach has conceded that agents of top players have contacted the Ligue 1 side with a view to negotiate January moves to the Parc des Princes for their clients

160597_thumb.jpg

Shay Given praises Stephen Ireland in the wake of impressive Aston Villa form
The Irish goalkeeper has singled out the midfielder for praise and the Cork native has hinted he may be ready to consider an international return

162929_thumb.jpg

Manchester City put tricky travels behind them to get Premier League title pursuit back on the right track
Roberto Mancini's side restored their three-point lead at the top of the Premier League with a 1-0 win at Wigan on Monday night thanks to Edin Dzeko's 22nd minute goal

162855_thumb.jpg

Arsenal's Thierry Henry escapes punishment after confrontation with fan - report
The French striker will not be sanctioned after Sky decided not to re-run potentially damning TV footage of him in a heated argument with a supporter after defeat to Swansea

160111_thumb.jpg

Arsenal keeping tabs on Robin van Persie's five-year-old son
The north London club have offered the chance for the promising youngster to showcase his skills in front of the Gunners' coaches, while father reveals admiration for Barcelona

161632_thumb.jpg

Manchester United's Wayne Rooney restarts his red card row with City's Roberto Mancini
The Italian was seen to perform a similar gesture to the striker after Maynor Figueroa was penalised for a handball, but the defender wasn't sent off despite being the last man

162082_thumb.jpg

Luis Suarez, Nemanja Vidic & the top 10 January transfer window signings by Premier League clubs
This month is yet to completely spark into life, but managers could be encouraged to splash out after seeing the success of these past New Year acquisitions

162735_thumb.jpg

Arsenal's Thierry Henry apologises for swearing at fan in Swansea defeat
The returning Gunners striker has said sorry to one of the club's supporters after he used inappropriate language towards him after the 3-2 loss at the Liberty Stadium on Sunday

151730_thumb.jpg

Tottenham, Newcastle & Everton target Jordan Rhodes will not be sold by Huddersfield in January
Terriers supremo Dean Hoyle has promised manager Lee Clark he will not be cashing in on the Scotland international, who has been praised by Manchester United old boy Andrew Cole

149440_thumb.jpg

Fulham in talks to sign Peter Odemwingie from West Brom
West Londoners willing to pay £3 million plus add-ons on for Nigeria international in bid to solve their striker problem, but Midlands club are holding out for £5m

120453_thumb.jpg

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp praises captain Michael Dawson after his return from injury
The Spurs boss is delighted with the England international after coming through three games in the space of just a week following four months out with an Achilles problem

63428_thumb.jpg

Everton's Royston Drenthe hits out at Real Madrid for 'complete lack of respect'
The Dutchman has revealed his dismay with the way his compatriots were treated at the Santiago Bernabeu in the past and believes Wesley Sneijder is more creative than Kaka

161100_thumb.jpg

Manchester City set to pursue shock double swoop for United wonderkids Paul Pogba & Ravel Morrison
The Etihad Stadium outfit have identified their neighbours' two star youngsters, who are both out of contract in the summer, as potential signings

162520_thumb.jpg

Middlesbrough boss Tony Mowbray insists Liverpool and West Bromwich target Rhys Williams is going nowhere
The Socceroo has been linked with several English Premier League clubs lately but his boss has insisted there's no plans to sell him anytime soon

117858_thumb.jpg

AZ Alkmaar's Brett Holman says he's not heard from Aston Villa, Blackburn or Fulham despite reported interest
The Australia international becomes a free agent at the end of the season and subsequently is generating a lot of interest from clubs but he says he's not had anything official

151769_thumb.jpg

Tottenham's Gareth Bale happy with outsiders tag in Premier League title race
Spurs missed the chance to close the gap after drawing with Wolves, but the Welsh winger insists his team are happy as underdogs as they face a tricky trip away to Manchester City

162859_thumb.jpg

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini defends waving imaginary cards & refuses to apologise to Wayne Rooney
Italian gestured for a red card for the second time in four games despite accusing the United striker for getting Vincent Kompany sent-off in the Manchester derby

154669_thumb.jpg

'Trying to influence the referee is not acceptable in this country' - Roberto Martinez warns Roberto Mancini after Wigan's loss to Manchester City
Spaniard is slightly disappointed that the Citizens boss waved an imaginary red card at the referee from the sidelines after Maynor Figueroa seemed to prevent a goalscoring chance

116779_thumb.jpg

Lille star Moussa Sow would welcome 'dream' move to Liverpool: Scoring in front of the Kop can be the highlight of a career
The Senegal striker, who was the top scorer in Ligue 1 last season with 25 goals, wants to play in the Premier League one day and would be open to a switch to Anfield

161067_thumb.jpg

Arsene Wenger urges Arsenal to 'wake up' after 'alarming' defeats to Fulham & Swansea City
After back-to-back defeats from winning positions the Gunners boss insists his team must gain focus and calls for them to take the opportunity to react against Manchester United

162589_thumb.jpg

Paul Scholes’ return offers Manchester United squad much-needed respite – Antonio Valencia
The Ecuadorian attacker says that with the likes of Darren Fletcher and Tom Cleverley missing, the signing of the ex-Red Devil provides some top quality cover

134536_thumb.jpg

QPR to make improved £7.5m bid for Christopher Samba following Blackburn defender's transfer request
Rangers to make second bid for wantaway Congolese centre-back, who has also been linked with Tottenham and officially requested a transfer on Monday in bid to force January move

97660_thumb.jpg

Tottenham complete signing of Juventus winger Yago Falque before loaning him to Southampton
The Spanish youngster heads straight out on loan to the Championship leaders after completing a full transfer to the north London club from the Serie A giants

155012_thumb.jpg

Inter's Massimo Moratti in the dark over claims Manchester City have rejected bid for Carlos Tevez
The Nerazzurri president insists he has yet to receive any confirmation from Eastlands that the Premier League leaders have turned down their offer of €25 million for the player

153656_thumb.jpg

The FA and ITV strike new deal over FA Cup & England international coverage
The channel have prolonged their coverage of the domestic tournament, whilst also securing a new agreement over coverage of the Three Lions' home World Cup qualifiers

144229_thumb.jpg

Joey Barton pledges future to QPR
Recent speculation suggested the Rangers captain was looking to end his six-month stay at Loftus Road, but the 29-year-old has confirmed he is fully behind new boss Mark Hughes

141275_thumb.jpg

Manchester United, Chelsea & Tottenham all keen on Michel Vorm, reveals Swansea director
The Dutch stopper has been in eye-catching form since his move to the Liberty Stadium in August, with the 28-year-old keeping six clean sheets in 11 home games this season

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Carlo Ancelotti: Chelsea's Fernando Torres, Manchester United's Dimitar Berbatov & Napoli's Edinson Cavani have all been offered to Paris Saint-Germain

The 52-year-old coach has conceded that agents of top players have contacted the Ligue 1 side with a view to negotiate January moves to the Parc des Princes for their clients

Jan 17, 2012 10:40:00 AM

By Chris Davie

123224hp2.jpg

Paris Saint-Germain coach Carlo Ancelotti has revealed that he has been offered a plethora of strikers this month, including Chelsea's Fernando Torres, Manchester United's Dimitar Berbatov, Manchester City's Carlos Tevez and Napoli's Edison Cavani amongst others.

The 52-year-old stated that the French capital outfit have great potential to attract big names, underlining the club's financial power and excellent coaching staff.
Ancelotti also had a word on his time at Chelsea, and said that Didier Drogba should have been sold following the arrival of Torres.

"I have received hundreds of phone calls from agents offering me players ever since I signed with PSG. They have offered me some incredible names. Players who have just signed spectacular contracts elsewhere," Ancelotti told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

"They all want to come here. There's the city of Paris, there's money and there's a coach with a good reputation.

"Do you want the names? Okay, now I tell you the players the agents are offering on the market, officially or not: [Carlos] Tevez, [Fernando] Torres, [Dimitar] Berbatov, [Roman] Pavlyuchenko, [Edison] Cavani, [Fernando] Llorente."

Ancelotti shared his thoughts on Torres' unsuccessful adjustment to life at Stamford Bridge, and hinted that Drogba could be the reason why the Spaniard has failed to shine so far.

"If you decide to invest on Torres, you have to sell Drogba. He's like [Filippo] Inzaghi, he tends to devour whoever competes with him. He's not bad, but this is his personality."

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Luis Suarez, Nemanja Vidic & the top 10 January transfer window signings by Premier League clubs

This month is yet to completely spark into life, but managers could be encouraged to splash out after seeing the success of these past New Year acquisitions

Jan 17, 2012 9:10:00 AM

162082hp2.jpg

By Chris Myson

Since its introduction in season 2002-03, the January transfer window has become a controversial and fascinating part of the Premier League football calendar.

Giving teams a solitary opportunity over just one month to bolster their squads midway through the season piles extreme pressure on managers and boardrooms across the country, with weeks of speculation usually culminating in a dramatic deadline day.

The likes of Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger have been the most recent high-profile critics of the current transfer system but they know all too well that a wise purchase or two in January can provide the perfect boost to a squad for the second half of the campaign and beyond.

Alternatively, it can result in panic buying to try and achieve your season's objectives but eventually leave you in a worse position than you initially found yourself in.

This January is yet to completely spark into life, despite Gary Cahill joining Chelsea, Thierry Henry making an emotional return to Arsenal and Paul Scholes coming out of retirement at Manchester United.

To provide the clubs with some encouragement that not all January activity can be bad,we profiles our 10 top Premier League transfers since the window was introduced in chronological order.

Michael Dawson | Nott'm Forest to Tottenham (£4m, 2005)

<tbody>
</tbody>

115276hp2.jpg

Perhaps he won’t be the most glamorous name on this list, but as far as January purchases go, Michael Dawson has been extremely effective since joining Tottenham from Nottingham Forest after his former club’s relegation to League One.

The England defender has racked up 242 appearances in all competitions and is a must-pick in the centre of Spurs’ defence when he is fully fit, having played an important part in making the club top six regulars in recent campaigns.

At 28 he still has plenty to give for club and country, with his partnership at the back with Ledley King still not matched by many other central defensive duos in the Premier League. Tottenham are still reaping the rewards from that shrewd piece of January business in 2004-05.
Emmanuel Adebayor | Monaco to Arsenal (£7m, 2006)

<tbody>
</tbody>

46417hp2.jpg

Emmanuel Adebayor did not have a global reputation when he signed for Arsenal from Monaco as a 21-year-old.

After not setting the world alight in his first 18 months at the Emirates, it was clear Wenger had made a January buy with the future in mind and was soon rewarded when the Togolese hitman scored 30 goals in all competitions during a stellar 2007-08 campaign.

Intense transfer speculation followed that summer when Adebayor was linked with AC Milan and Barcelona, but he ended up staying and enjoying another decent campaign before he eventually was sold, to Manchester City, at a massive profit.

After arriving at Eastlands in a £25 million deal he had a steady goalscoring record but was sent out on loan to Real Madrid and currently Tottenham.
Patrice Evra | Monaco to Man Utd (£5.5m, 2006)

<tbody>
</tbody>

139618hp2.jpg

Patrice Evra already had experience of a Champions League final when he arrived at Manchester United from the same Ligue 1 club as Adebayor.

A horrendous debut in the Manchester derby against City, which saw him substituted at half-time after an error-prone performance, led to questions over whether Sir Alex had made a wise move.

However, following a shaky start to his Old Trafford career, Evra soon established himself as the Red Devils’ first-choice left-back - usurping Gabriel Heinze - and became one of the world’s top players in the position.

His current form may not be up to those levels, but the experienced Frenchman is still one of the most senior players at the club and captains the side on regular occasions.
Nemanja Vidic | Spartak Moscow to Man Utd (£7m, 2006)

<tbody>
</tbody>

115433hp2.jpg

Nemanja Vidic was initially perceived as a risky signing for Manchester United when they parted with a significant fee of around £7m for a player who had only played in Russia and his native Serbia.

Just a month after joining the club, the powerful stopper won his first trophy as the Red Devils celebrated a League Cup triumph and the rest, as they say, is history.

He went on to be a part of one of the most successful central defensive partnerships in European football alongside Rio Ferdinand and helped United to four league titles, a Champions League, a Club World Cup and a further two League Cups.

In 2011 he was named as United’s new captain in place of Gary Neville and recently retired from international duty, meaning full focus will be on his club career after returning from the serious knee injury which is currently keeping him out of action.
Ashley Young | Watford to Aston Villa (£9.75m, 2007)

<tbody>
</tbody>

107931hp2.jpg

Martin O’Neill was accused of overspending when he splashed out almost £10m for Watford starlet Ashley Young, a 21-year-old winger who had just six months’ worth of top-flight experience to his name.

The Englishman soon established himself at Villa Park, though, becoming a first-team regular on the left-hand side of midfield and barely missing a match over his four-and-a-half-year spell, while becoming a consistent contributor of goals and assists.

Young earned England recognition in that time and became increasingly versatile, showing ability to play in advanced roles right across the pitch.

He joined champions Manchester United in the summer for a fee in excess of £15m after it became clear he would look to move to a bigger club with his Villa contract nearing its end.
Gary Cahill | Aston Villa to Bolton (£5m, 2008)

<tbody>
</tbody>

162467hp2.jpg

Gary Cahill seemed to be a player who had failed to live up to his early potential when boyhood club Aston Villa allowed him to sign for Bolton in 2008.

Since then though, the defender showed the Villans how wrong they were to let him go by becoming a regular at the Reebok Stadium and establishing himself as an emerging star.

Over the last two seasons in particular, Cahill has produced some classy displays and is recognised as one of the country’s most technically gifted stoppers and he broke into the England set-up in 2010.

With his contract running down, the Trotters cashed in on Cahill on Monday by selling him to Chelsea in a £7m deal which still saw them earn more than they paid for him having enjoyed four years of service.
Lassana Diarra | Arsenal to Portsmouth (£5m, 2008)

<tbody>
</tbody>

162905hp2.jpg

Lassana Diarra had failed to find regular first-team football for both Chelsea and Arsenal when he signed for Portsmouth in January 2008 with his career seemingly heading in a downward spiral.

But he proved to be an inspired purchase for Harry Redknapp at Fratton Park, with his midfield tenacity proving pivotal and the Frenchman finally showing his quality with the opportunities provided by regular first-team football.

Diarra was part of the Pompey team which famously won the FA Cup in 2008 and then played a part in their Europa League campaign for the first half of the following season.

In January 2009, almost a year after signing, Real Madrid made their move and Portsmouth cashed in, receiving close to £20m, with Redknapp later taking the credit for some fantastic wheeling and dealing in the transfer market – he often still cites the success of the deal when discussing his achievements on the south coast.
Brede Hangeland | Copenhagen to Fulham (£2.5m, 2008)

<tbody>
</tbody>

162888hp2.jpg

Brede Hangeland joined Fulham in a bargain £2.5m deal from Copenhagen in 2008 and has built a strong reputation as an uncompromising and talented stopper ever since.

One of the most consistent defenders in the Premier League, the Norway captain has played a key role in keeping the Cottagers in the top flight and progress to a status of regular mid-table finishers.

Hangeland was also instrumental in Fulham’s run to the Europa League final, where they eventually lost out to Atletico Madrid, and continues to attract interest from bigger clubs, with Arsenal known to be admirers.
Daniel Sturridge | Chelsea to Bolton (Loan, 2011)

<tbody>
</tbody>

162886hp2.jpg

Chelsea starlet Daniel Sturridge had found regular first-team action hard to come by at Stamford Bridge since joining the Blues from Manchester City, with domestic cups representing his main opportunities to play from the start.

Owen Coyle and Bolton swooped for the striker in January to provide them with another option to Kevin Davies and Johan Elmander for the remainder of the campaign.

The move surpassed everyone’s expectations as an impressive Sturridge starred for Bolton, scoring eight goals in 12 league games. His success in the north west, combined with strong performances in pre-season, allowed the player a chance at Chelsea under Andre Villas-Boas – he is now a key part of the squad and has been capped by England.

The Trotters had enjoyed similar success in a loan deal the previous season with Arsenal starlet Jack Wilshere, who also saw his career hit a significant upward turn after a spell at the Reebok.
Luis Suarez | Ajax to Liverpool (£22.8m, 2011)

<tbody>
</tbody>

157835hp2.jpg

The conclusion to the January 2011 transfer window was simply unforgettable and will go down in the history books for drama.

While the headline-grabbing moves of Fernando Torres to Chelsea for £50m and Liverpool replacing him with Newcastle’s Andy Carroll in a £35m switch have failed to result in any kind of success, Kenny Dalglish’s Reds did manage to capture a gem.

Luis Suarez had been scoring goals for fun in the Netherlands at Ajax as well as impressing for Uruguay at the previous summer’s World Cup in South Africa, so Dalglish was getting a player with impressive credentials.

Since his arrival at Liverpool, the forward has proven his quality with some outstanding displays and is now as integral to his side’s form and performances as inspirational captain Steven Gerrard.

Suarez did come to Anfield with a controversial reputation and nothing which has happened since – be it his guilty verdict in the Patrice Evra racism row, clashes with opposition fans or accusations of diving – has altered that view, but no-one can doubt his footballing ability on the pitch.

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Torres Takes Extra Shooting Practice

154294257dc57438d9cc8494861b23a1c1040270.jpg

Fernando Torres is taking extra shooting practice after every Chelsea training session in an attempt to rediscover the goal scoring form he was formerly renowned for and put an end to his goal drought that has lasted almost three months.

The Spaniard has not scored for the Blues since their 5-0 win over Genk in the Champions League last October and has only managed three league goals since his move from Liverpool in January 2011.

Chelsea's Assistant coach Steve Holland told Chelsea TV: 'Fernando is working very hard at his finishing in training.

'We do a lot of finishing as part of the sessions anyway but he is doing extra at the end of every session during the week.'

'His finishing is looking very good in training, the ball is flying in. I have personally spent some time with him on making sure [he's in the right position].'

Torres hit the woodwork against Sunderland last Saturday and was able to claim an assist after Lampard knocked in his rebounded shot. Lampard claimed after the game that it would only be a matter of time until we see Torres return to his best form judging from his performances on the training ground.

'He is doing it in training and you can see a lift in him,' Lampard said. 'I feel for him because he made a great connection for my goal when it hit the bar first.'

'You're just waiting for that moment when he is going to bang two or three in.'

'He is working his socks off, making runs and creating goals. We're all talking about that and rightly so.'

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

141605_thumb.jpg

Newcastle United close to completing €12 million deal for Freiburg's Papiss Cisse
The Magpies look to have beaten off competition from local rivals Sunderland to secure the signature of the highly-rated Senegalese international forward

136049_thumb.jpg

Mamelodi Sundowns' Matthew Pattison to go on trial at Leeds United
The South Africa international may be on his way back to England if trials in the country are successful

113009_thumb.jpg

Wojciech Szczesny backs Arsenal to recover from recent slump and secure a top-four finish
The shot stopper believes the Gunners can finish in a lucrative Champions League spot, despite losing ground in recent weeks following away losses against Fulham and Swansea

161715_thumb.jpg

Liverpool's demands over new kit deal did not match their performances, claims Adidas chief
The German sportswear brand did not believe the club's displays justified their financial demands, with Warrior Sports securing a deal to produce the Anfield side's kit

147065_thumb.jpg

Chelsea's Petr Cech insists club's transition period is no excuse for a trophyless season
The Czech Republic international compared the Blues' situation with his national side and is delighted to see Garry Cahill join the club as Michael Essien returns from injury

128038_thumb.jpg

Olympique Lyonnais' Aly Cissokho waiting for permission to discuss personal terms with Newcastle
The 24-year-old left-back says that the Premier League outfit are already in negotiations with his club as he looks to seal a move to England

155098_thumb.jpg

Rio Mavuba: Joe Cole really wants to stay at Lille
The 27-year-old says that the Liverpool-owned player is seeking a permanent switch and believes that Eden Hazard will most likely leave in the summer

156052_thumb.jpg

Inter in talks with Manchester City to offset €7m they are owed for Mario Balotelli to push through €30m Carlos Tevez transfer
Roberto Mancini has personally had discussions with his former club to seal the switch of the rebel striker but Premier League leaders' valuation is still a stumbling block

160994_thumb.jpg

Ex-Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti admits he had heart set on Arsenal or Tottenham managerial roles before joining Paris Saint-Germain
The Italian joined the French club in December, but concedes he wanted another chance to manage in England and claims Roman Abramovich acted ruthlessly in sacking him

134536_thumb.jpg

Blackburn owners want money owed to them by Christopher Samba if defender is to leave club - report
The centre-back is understood to have accepted a loan from the club's officials for an extension on his house and Venky's would want it back if he is to leave Ewood Park in January

117745_thumb.jpg

Chelsea step up chase for Marseille full-back Cesar Azpilicueta after completing Gary Cahill transfer - report
The Spanish right-back is manager Andre Villas-Boas' next target after signing the former Bolton man, and he could arrive at Stamford Bridge for around £12 million

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

160406_thumb.jpg

John Terry excited by signing of Gary Cahill as he refuses to admit defeat in Chelsea’s Premier League title bid
The former Bolton player has moved to Stamford Bridge with the club 11 points behind the league leaders but the England skipper still harbours hopes of closing the gap at the top

160665_thumb.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson looks to the future as he prepares to seal his legacy in the last three years of his Manchester United career
The 70-year-old is in talks to sign his final contract to complete his project to build his fourth great United side, with the ultimate goal to win a third Champions League trophy

158898_thumb.jpg

Fernando Torres, Andy Carroll & the 10 worst January transfer window signings by Premier League clubs
This month has failed to ignite and managers could be right to treat it with caution after looking at the New Year recruits who have struggled to adapt at new teams

160656_thumb.jpg

Manchester United in talks to reward Sir Alex Ferguson with new £7.5m-a-year contract to make him best paid manager in Britain
The Glazer family want to reward the long-serving Old Trafford boss for his phenomenal achievements during their ownership with a 60 per cent pay rise

153448_thumb.jpg

Shanghai Shenhua director Zhou Jun says 'maybe we can complete Didier Drogba deal by Chinese New Year'
The ambitious Chinese club rubbished a report claiming they were on the verge of a deal for the Ivory Coast star but admitted they're hoping for an answer by Monday

160214_thumb.jpg

Park Ji-Sung's JS Foundation to hold charity game in Thailand in May or June
Manchester United's South Korean star will be part of the second ever Asian Dream Cup to be held in Thailand this year, as part of promotion football to youngsters in the region

139426_thumb.jpg

Manchester City's Joleon Lescott not convinced by Tottenham's title challenge & insists United are the team to beat
The England international is also happy he won't have to face Emmanuel Adebayor when Spurs visit the Etihad Stadium on Sunday, insisting he can be a top player on his day

156375_thumb.jpg

QPR boss Mark Hughes confirms talks with Chelsea's Alex & is hoping to conclude deal for Sao Paulo sensation Henrique
The new boss at Loftus Road, who saw his side beat MK Dons to reach the FA Cup fourth round, was delighted with his team's effort after Danny Gabbidon's late headed goal

163027_thumb.jpg

Newcastle United complete signing of Papiss Cisse from Freiburg
The Senegal international joins the Magpies for an undisclosed fee, understood to be around £10 million, and signs a five-and-a-half-year deal at the Sports Direct Arena

162467_thumb.jpg

New Chelsea signing Gary Cahill reveals Andre Villas-Boas played a significant role in luring him to Stamford Bridge
The England international also had parting words for his former boss Owen Coyle, thanking him for his support, and he was glad to leave the Reebok Stadium on good terms

152089_thumb.jpg

Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand delighted to see Paul Scholes and Thierry Henry back in Premier League action
The experienced centre-half is pleased the two veterans have returned, and believes the 37-year-old's impact could prove to be vital in the Red Devils quest for silverware

161510_thumb.jpg

Confusion over French reports claiming Manchester City have accepted PSG offer for Carlos Tevez
The French club are yet to come to an understanding with the Premier League outfit regarding a transfer fee, while the striker's heart is set on a move to Serie A

155244_thumb.jpg

Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand rubbishes injury rumours & declares himself fit for Arsenal showdown
The 33-year-old has dismissed reports that he may miss out on Sunday's trip to the Emirates, after he suffered concussion following the 3-0 victory over Bolton at the weekend

134536_thumb.jpg

Blackburn Rovers insist Christopher Samba is not for sale despite transfer request
The 27-year-old has made his intentions to leave Ewood Park clear, in spite of signing a new contract last year, with Tottenham and QPR believed to be preparing bids

154305_thumb.jpg

Official: Chelsea midfielder Josh McEachran completes loan move to Swansea City until end of the season
The youngster will be hoping to impress Blues boss Andre Villas-Boas during his temporary switch to the Liberty Stadium, having seen his opportunities limited at Stamford Bridge

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester United in talks to reward Sir Alex Ferguson with new £7.5m-a-year contract to make him best paid manager in Britain

The Glazer family want to reward the long-serving Old Trafford boss for his phenomenal achievements during their ownership with a 60 per cent pay rise

Jan 18, 2012 7:36:00 AM

160656hp2.jpg

By Wayne Veysey | Chief Correspondent

Manchester United
are in talks with Sir Alex Ferguson to reward the most successful manager of the modern era with a pay hike that will make him the highest paid boss in Premier League history. Sir Alex has been offered a £6.5 million-a-year basic contract supplemented by up to £1m worth of bonuses for a trophy clean sweep.

His deal will remain on the same one-year rolling terms that he first committed himself to in 2004 but the new offer represents a 60 per cent pay hike on his current £4m-a-year contract rising to £5m. The structure of the £1m top-up bonuses would remain unaffected by the new agreement.

United want the most successful manager in their history to formally accept the offer by the summer.
Sir Alex’s pay hike will leapfrog him above Arsene Wenger to become the best paid manager in the Premier League and will be worth more than the £6.5m-a-year salary that Carlo Ancelotti earned at Chelsea.
The Scot was told by United chief executive David Gill last October that the Glazer family wanted to recognise his phenomenal achievements, which have included a Champions League crown and four Premier League titles since the Americans took full control of the club.

At the time the Glazers were in the dark about the United manager’s long-term plans but since making the offer to Sir Alex’s camp, he has come out publicly and said that he hopes to have three more years in charge.

“All the talk at the top of the club over the last few months has been of a three-year plan,” a United source told Goal.com. “The Glazers were not sure of Ferguson’s plans so asked David Gill to tell him that his achievements over all these years would be recognised with a deal that would make him the best paid manager in British football.

“There have been a few rounds of talks and the club want it sorted before his annual holiday to the south of France at the end of the season. “It makes good business sense for the club and the Glazers. Ferguson has always been loyal to them and they feel it is time he was rewarded for the job he has done.”

It is understood that neither party feels the need to adjust the length of his one-year rolling deal, which means that Sir Alex is only entitled to 12 months’ severance pay and, in theory, gives United little long-term security.

132839hp2.jpg

Loyalty bonus | The Glazers want to reward Sir Alex for his United achievements

But the most successful manager in the history of British football, who celebrated a quarter of a century in charge at Old Trafford last November, has confirmed his intention to remain in the job well into his 70s.
“I hope I have a long time left,” said Sir Alex in an interview on New Years’ Eve to mark his 70th birthday. “As long as my health stays up, I would hope to have another three years at the club. I am still enjoying it.

“As someone who loves his job I am not about to let my years alone dictate my future. At my age health becomes the key issue for a man's work and I am happy to say I have been blessed with stamina and energy that sees me coping with what I admit is a very demanding job.”

Sir Alex’s salary is currently relatively meagre compared to his managerial colleagues, who have been less successful in trophy terms.

Wenger signed a £6m-a-year basic deal in 2010 potentially rising to £7m with top-ups, and in recent times there have been other Premier League managers in this bracket, including Ancelotti, Rafael Benitez and Luiz Felipe Scolari.

Somewhat perversely, Juande Ramos was believed to be the highest earning Premier League manager during his 12-month spell at Tottenham, earning a £5.8m-a-year wage.

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fernando Torres, Andy Carroll & the 10 worst January transfer window signings by Premier League clubs

This month has failed to ignite and managers could be right to treat it with caution after looking at the New Year recruits who have struggled to adapt at new teams

Jan 18, 2012 8:15:00 AM

158898hp2.jpg

By Chris Davie & Jamie Dunn

January can be a time for the Premier League elite to strengthen for the final push towards the title and Champions League places, while clubs at the other end the table recruit personnel in order to stave off relegation.

Since its introduction in the 2002-03 season, we've seen the January transfer window allow teams to bolster their ranks with shrewd signings who have been able to prove their ability in the long term.

But for every success there is a failure and we takes a look at those who have been unable to inspire after being brought into the Premier League in January.

Jose Antonio Reyes | Sevilla to Arsenal (£17m, 2004)

<tbody>
</tbody>
162890hp2.jpg

Jose Antonio Reyes couldn’t have had a better start to his Arsenal career, winning the Premier League title within months of his transfer from Sevilla in January 2004.

But, despite winning and scoring in the 2004 Community Shield victory against Manchester United, Reyes failed to consistently hit top form in north London.

Reyes was on the winning side against United again in the FA Cup final in 2005 but was sent off in the game and, just over a year later, after complaining of being homesick, eventually joined Real Madrid in a loan exchange deal with Julio Baptista.

James Beattie | Southampton to Everton (£6m, 2005)

<tbody>
</tbody>
162891hp2.jpg

A striker who has enjoyed several prolific spells in his career, James Beattie has also had his fair share of barren runs throughout his career.

Beattie’s goalscoring exploits with Southampton earned him a move to Everton, but he would score just two goals following his move to Goodison Park in January 2005, and was sent off for a headbutt on Michael Essien against Chelsea just five games into his stay at the club.

Beattie would score 11 goals for Everton the following season, but struggled for goals in 2006-07 and was sold to Sheffield United, embarking on a good spell with the then-Championship side.

Jean-Alain Boumsong | Rangers to Newcastle (£8m, 2005)

<tbody>
</tbody>
162930hp2.jpg

Despite arriving at Rangers in summer of 2004 on a free transfer, Newcastle United boss Graeme Souness felt he'd seen enough promise to splash out £8m for the defender's services in the following transfer window.

Boumsong's first term in England started with promise but his second season was far from perfect, and with mistakes leading to goals becoming a frequent trait, the France international wasn't given the chance to atone for his mistakes and found himself sold to Juventus, who had just been relegated to Serie B.

Ricardo Rocha | Benfica to Tottenham (£3.3m, 2007)

<tbody>
</tbody>
162889hp2.jpg

Signed from Benfica in 2007 by Martin Jol, Ricardo Rocha was brought in at Tottenham to bolster the defensive options following an injury to Ledley King, but his slip against Arsenal in the League Cup semi-final second leg against Arsenal came in his first handful of games for the club.

Jol was soon replaced by Juande Ramos though, while Rocha fell out of favour and didn’t play a single first team game in his final season at the club, before being released in the summer of 2009.

Afonso Alves | Heerenveen to Middlesbrough (£12.7m, 2008)

<tbody>
</tbody>
162931hp2.jpg

Shipped in to sprinkle Brazilian flair along Teeside, Alfonso Alves entered the Premier League boasting a record befitting of any top European striker after netting 45 goals in 38 games for Dutch side Heerenveen.

But Alves failed to replicate the sparkle produced by fellow countryman Juninho during his time at the club, as well as his form in the Eredivisie, scoring just four goals as Middlesbrough slumped to relegation from the Premier League.

Boro got shot of the Brazilian striker in September 2009, but only managed to claw back £6m as he went to ply his trade for Qatari side Al-Sadd.

Ricardo Quaresma | Inter to Chelsea (Loan, 2009)

<tbody>
</tbody>
162932hp2.jpg

Brought in by Luiz Felipe Scolari to liven up Chelsea's midfield, the winger, who was awarded Serie A's 'Golden Bin' award in his inaugural season in Italy, fared no better in the Premier League.

The Portuguese midfielder failed to impress former Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho at Inter, cue the loan spell at Stamford Bridge which ended in a paltry five appearances and 97 minutes of uninspiring league football.

Wayne Bridge | Manchester City to West Ham (Loan, 2011)

<tbody>
</tbody>
162928hp2.jpg

In their bid to avoid relegation, West Ham owners David Sullivan and David Gold felt it necessary to bring in recruits to solidify the defence at Upton Park.

Enter Wayne Bridge, who, with a £90,000-a-week wage, couldn't save West Ham from relegation in the 15 Premier League games he featured in.

Andy Carroll | Newcastle to Liverpool (£35m, 2008)

<tbody>
</tbody>
146111hp2.jpg

It was difficult to understand why Newcastle United rejected a £30m bid from Liverpool for Andy Carroll last year, but even further beyond comprehension was Kenny Dalglish's side re-entering negotiations and subsequently bringing the striker to Anfield for £35m.

With the signing of Stewart Downing (who has also failed to convince the red half of Merseyside) you would think Carroll's clear heading prowess would be used to devastating effect, boosting Liverpool into the Champions League places and beyond.

As it stands, Carroll looks like a square peg in a round hole, floundering as the ball is played into his feet 20 yards from goal, rather than to his head inside the six-yard box. Four goals in 24 appearances means either Carroll must adapt to intricate build-up play, or Liverpool need to change their style to suit their record signing.

Benni McCarthy | Blackburn to West Ham (£2.5m, 2011)

<tbody>
</tbody>
162892hp2.jpg

After a largely successful spell with Blackburn Rovers, West Ham parted ways with around £2.5m for Benni McCarthy, who had fallen out of favour at Ewood Park following the excellent form of Roque Santa Cruz.

But McCarthy could not resurrect his Premier League career with the Hammers, who eventually terminated the South African’s contract for £1.5m – which still had 14 months to run – in April 2011, after 14 appearances and no goals.

The club’s vice-chairman, Karen Brady, revealed the striker had struggled with weight gain and described the signing as a “big fat mistake”.

Fernando Torres | Liverpool to Chelsea (£50m, 2011)

<tbody>
</tbody>
145146hp2.jpg

Chelsea broke the bank to sign Fernando Torres on a dramatic deadline day in January 2011 in an attempt to keep their aim to retain the Premier League title alive.

But the Spain international could not replicate the performances that had looked set to make him a Liverpool legend upon his arrival at Stamford Bridge, scoring just once in 18 appearances last season.

Torres has since added a further four strikes and a red card in 23 games, and while the jury is still out on whether or not the striker can turn his Chelsea career around, Roman Abramovich has not received the immediate return on his outlay he would undoubtedly have expected.

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

127388_thumb.jpg

Fulham's Mark Schwarzer signs contract extension until 2013
The 39-year-old has prolonged his stay at Craven Cottage by a further year, as he looks to feature at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil with Australia

147457_thumb.jpg

Thibaut Courtois: I want to stay at Atletico Madrid for one more year
The 19-year-old has insisted that he wants to stay at the Spanish capital club for another season before trying to make his mark at Chelsea

109010_thumb.jpg

Marseille's Cesar Azpilicueta: Chelsea have made no contact but I would consider a move
The 22-year-old right-back has been linked with a €14.4 million switch to Stamford Bridge and admits that he would be tempted by a transfer to boost his national team prospects

159701_thumb.jpg

Agent believes €100 million for Porto's Hulk is not unreasonable
The powerful striker's representative thinks that his charge is worth the figure in his release clause and stated that the 25-year-old is one of the best footballers on the planet

162929_thumb.jpg

‘I hope this is the start of a new Edin Dzeko’ – Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini
The Bosnian scored his 14th goal of the season when he headed winner at Wigan after going 11 matches without finding the back of the net, and his manager is now looking for more

98412_thumb.jpg

Arsenal are prepared for not qualifying for the Champions League, says chairman Peter Hill-Wood
The 75-year-old says it would not be a disaster if the Gunners missed out on Europe's premier club competition, but concedes it would be 'very nice' if they could

139199_thumb.jpg

Ritchie De Laet returns to Manchester United after loan spell at Norwich City is terminated
After being plagued with injuries whilst at Carrow Road, the Belgian international has been sent back to Old Trafford, having only made six Premier League appearances for the club

160564_thumb.jpg

Andy Carroll hopeful Steven Gerrard's return can ‘kick-start’ his Liverpool career
The misfiring target man has scored only four goals in 25 games so far this season but believes that the influence of the talismanic midfielder can help improve his tally

159984_thumb.jpg

Agent: Manchester is better than Mario Balotelli expected
Mino Raiola stated that the City striker would not leave the club in January but he did admit that a return to Italy to play for AC Milan could be a possibility in the future

138798_thumb.jpg

Hannover confirm talks with agent of Manchester United's Mame Biram Diouf
The Bundesliga club have made contact with the attacker's representative, but the player has yet to make a decision on his future

151673_thumb.jpg

Villarreal interested in Tottenham's Giovani dos Santos - report
The Mexico international has continually been linked with a move away from his current club and could be on his way back to Spain

138684_thumb.jpg

Arsenal's Johan Djourou sets his sights on revenge against Manchester United
The Switzerland international says victory could be the perfect remedy following their defeat at Swansea, and claims his side can still achieve a top-four finish

161520_thumb.jpg

Jermain Defoe on exit talk: As it stands I'm a Tottenham player and if I do play against Manchester City I'll be fully committed
The striker has found himself behind Emmanuel Adebayor and says all he wants to do is feature on a regular basis, while believing Spurs can go all the way in title race

106256_thumb.jpg

Chelsea's Josh McEachran relishing first-team opportunity during Swansea loan
The 18-year-old says he is hoping to figure in as many games as possible during his time in south Wales, and reveals he has a close relationship with new boss Brendan Rodgers

151370_thumb.jpg

Chelsea sign three Luton Town brothers in deal which could reach £1m
Twins Rio and Cole Dasilva, 12, and Jay, who is a year older, have moved to Stamford Bridge from the Blue Square Premier side in a surprise deal after five years with the Hatters

161067_thumb.jpg

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger will not buy in January transfer window - report
The Frenchman's squad is down to the bare bones, with all four recognised full-backs out injured, but he has apparently decided to not splash the cash on new players

152320_thumb.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson tips former Manchester United hero Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to be a great manager
The Norwegian, who made a name for himself at Old Trafford, has achieved success in his native country by winning Molde’s first ever league title in his debut season at the club

162224_thumb.jpg

Arsenal striker Thierry Henry struggling to be fit for Manchester United – report
The Gunners legend is said to have picked up a calf injury in training and is awaiting a scan to see whether he will be able to take his place in the side to face the champions

159066_thumb.jpg

Manchester City's Roberto Mancini warned he will run risk of FA sanction if he continues waving imaginary cards - report
The Italian has apparently been told to mind his behaviour following two incidents in six days, despite complaining Wayne Rooney encouraged Chris Foy to send Vincent Kompany off

137979_thumb.jpg

Jamie Carragher prepared to be patient as he looks to regain a place in Liverpool starting XI
The Reds defender claims he has no problem sitting on the bench while the team are performing well, insisting his desire to play for the club is as strong as ever

162604_thumb.jpg

Harry Redknapp admits Tottenham will have to offer Emmanuel Adebayor a good deal to stay at club at end of loan
The Togo striker will return to Manchester City once his spell in north London is over and the boss believes good football alone is not what will keep players at Spurs