• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Background Check

Mee Poh Man

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many donkey years back when I was young, I was caught by the police committing some petty crime.

I was told by my parents that I was under probation while waiting to see if the police will sentence me.

In the end, I was let off with a warning, thinking back now I am wondering if I was really under probation then or was it just a scare by my parents ? Can anyone advice on this? Dun you need a court to sentence a probation?

Due to the current economic situation, I had no choice but to apply to be an employee of an ex- stat board.

In the application, I was asked if I was ever place in probation or even detain by the police. So I presume that there will be some background check.

Someone ever mention to me that since I was let off with a warning then. It is not a criminal case and hence the information will not be shared across the govt during a background check and as such I need not revel the information . It this true?

Please do not flame me. I am just trying to maneuver my past behind and and lead a normal life.

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
They just don't have the cells to hold you !
Imagine in this economic recession ! How many are offenders ?

Many have committed an offence and how about repeat offenders !

Crimminals in Singapore don't stay more than 4 years.
If they do ? You wish they wouldn't be out even at all .

There are many walking free crimminals in Singapore now !
Ex-crimminals !
Singapore kept their records relatively free from public eyes !

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many donkey years back when I was young, I was caught by the police committing some petty crime.

I was told by my parents that I was under probation while waiting to see if the police will sentence me.

In the end, I was let off with a warning, thinking back now I am wondering if I was really under probation then or was it just a scare by my parents ? Can anyone advice on this? Dun you need a court to sentence a probation?

Due to the current economic situation, I had no choice but to apply to be an employee of an ex- stat board.

In the application, I was asked if I was ever place in probation or even detain by the police. So I presume that there will be some background check.

Someone ever mention to me that since I was let off with a warning then. It is not a criminal case and hence the information will not be shared across the govt during a background check and as such I need not revel the information . It this true?

Please do not flame me. I am just trying to maneuver my past behind and and lead a normal life.

U should ask your parents if they lied to you to scare you or were u really put on probation. There should be papers. It'll be to your disadvantage if there wasn't and you declare on your application form you had a record.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

What petty crime?..you stole papayas? or you rub some 'papayas'?

Wasn't there a scheme by the poodles..some while back, where you can wipe your slate clean for these kind of acts?

Unless you have associated yourself with Chee Soon Juan...how many times you wipe the slate....the ink is indelible.:eek:

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not a problem lah. I have buddy who CID came to school to arrest him. Up the "red car" to the police station. Now still working in the forces. But this time his "rank" higher than the poodle dogs that caught him last time. :biggrin:

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
probation no big deal lah.

i know of someone who is convicted under Official Secrets Act and still can become ministar..:biggrin:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
probation no big deal lah.

i know of someone who is convicted under Official Secrets Act and still can become ministar..:biggrin:

That's the 'balck horse' class...members have its privileges!..like I had mentioned, you are associated with...... the ink will be indelible, how many times, you wash, you rub, ....the slate will never be wiped clean!.

:p

Yoshitei

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was sure that i never went to the courts. guess there was no probation.

What about detain? will my case be consider as detain?

Technical speaking, as long as you were never formally charged, you've got no records. Unless your case was with the ISD.

Probation depending on which court sentenced you may not be traceable too.

jim007jimmyboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Technical speaking, as long as you were never formally charged, you've got no records. Unless your case was with the ISD.

Probation depending on which court sentenced you may not be traceable too.

yup he is right....if u are not in court n charge there is no records.

There is nothing to declare. Good luck bro in ur job.

Remember to vote for Opposition 2011. Will not ruin ur chance in promo even if u are in govt sector.

STUCK_HERE

Alfrescian
Loyal
You really believe that our police led by the great WKS keep records of your petty crime? They can't even keep track of Mat Selamat!

Don't be so scared. Next time in your voting, also don't be so scared.

diversifyx2

Alfrescian
Loyal
No problem one lah, my friend was served warrant once and never surrender till police come to his house after midnight and arrest him, charged to court, pay the 2 parking fine from URA and HDB nearly $4K and now he is employed under MOF, what a joke. so dont be scared

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Depends on the nature of the offense and the kind of job you are applying for

If you were caught stealing and now applying for a senior financial post, then maybe got problem

Mee Poh Man

Alfrescian
Loyal
Depends on the nature of the offense and the kind of job you are applying for

If you were caught stealing and now applying for a senior financial post, then maybe got problem

meaning to say that it is even thought it is a police record. but during a background check, the info will still be release? for the employer to make a decision?

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Someone ever mention to me that since I was let off with a warning then. It is not a criminal case and hence the information will not be shared across the govt during a background check and as such I need not reveal the information . It this true?

Hi Mee Poh Man, if its a petty crime and you were never hauled in court. Even if a police statement was made, i can safely say you will be fine without declaring.

Everyone should have a chance to start afresh and the fact that it is petty and it got you worried for so many years should be punishment enough. I personally know of many friends/colleagues who confided in me their petty transgressions and all are still doing ok in good jobs.

Trust the bros here, you will do fine without talking about it, like our government say, we must move on. Its high time that you have moved on as well. I wish you well in your new job, remember to just be a "yes" man there, document everything and don't be too high profile.

All will be fine. I wish you well.
Take care

Mee Poh Man

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Mee Poh Man, if its a petty crime and you were never hauled in court. Even if a police statement was made, i can safely say you will be fine without declaring.

Everyone should have a chance to start afresh and the fact that it is petty and it got you worried for so many years should be punishment enough. I personally know of many friends/colleagues who confided in me their petty transgressions and all are still doing ok in good jobs.

Trust the bros here, you will do fine without talking about it, like our government say, we must move on. Its high time that you have moved on as well. I wish you well in your new job, remember to just be a "yes" man there, document everything and don't be too high profile.

All will be fine. I wish you well.
Take care

Thanks wuji for the encouragement. I also wish i have friends like you. so meaning to say that that the police will only take it as a internal record and the info will not be release during the background check?

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Thanks wuji for the encouragement. I also wish i have friends like you. so meaning to say that that the police will only take it as a internal record and the info will not be release during the background check?

Sure, not to worry, the police have lots of these records, i think most statboards are only interested in those that ended in conviction, jail time etc.
Petty stuff, especially done during youth are not counted. Just put it behind you, put on a brave face, smile and go on with life.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wuqi is right. By law the Police can't even disclose that they warned you. You are legally right to say or state that you have not commited any offence. You are no different to anyone else who have not even been to a Police station at all.

Your parents are smart by saying you are on probation to keep you on the straight and narrow. Nowdays we have parents who will blame the Police and let the kids run wild.

Wish you the very best.