• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Awareness - what have we becoming to...?

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hnOPu0_YWhw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A man sat at a metro station in Washington DC and started to play the violin; it was a cold January morning. He played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes. During that time, since it was rush hour, it was calculated that 1,100 people went through the station, most of them on their way to work.

Three minutes went by, and a middle aged man noticed there was musician playing. He slowed his pace, and stopped for a few seconds, and then hurried up to meet his schedule.

A minute later, the violinist received his first dollar tip: a woman threw the money in the till and without stopping, and continued to walk.

A few minutes later, someone leaned against the wall to listen to him, but the man looked at his watch and started to walk again. Clearly he was late for work.

The one who paid the most attention was a 3 year old boy. His mother tagged him along, hurried, but the kid stopped to look at the violinist. Finally, the mother pushed hard, and the child continued to walk, turning his head all the time. This action was repeated by several other children. All the parents, without exception, forced them to move on.

In the 45 minutes the musician played, only 6 people stopped and stayed for a while. About 20 gave him money, but continued to walk their normal pace. He collected $32. When he finished playing and silence took over, no one noticed it. No one applauded, nor was there any recognition.

No one knew this, but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the most talented musicians in the world. He had just played one of the most intricate pieces ever written, on a violin worth $3.5 million dollars.

Two days before his playing in the subway, Joshua Bell sold out at a theater in Boston where the seats averaged $100.

This is a real story. Joshua Bell playing incognito in the metro station was organized by the Washington Post as part of a social experiment about perception, taste, and priorities of people. The outlines were: in a commonplace environment at an inappropriate hour: Do we perceive beauty? Do we stop to appreciate it? Do we recognize the talent in an unexpected context?

One of the possible conclusions from this experience could be:

If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world playing the best music ever written, how many other things are we missing?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This makes me sad :(:(:(:(

Last edited:

chowka

Alfrescian
Loyal
If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world playing the best music ever written, how many other things are we missing?

But clitdog666 will tell you that Justin Bieber rocks. :biggrin:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
One possibility is the herd instinct. Monkey see monkey do. Follows the Joneses. If the high end of society prefer to attend Country Music at Albert Hall, all the up coming society wannabes would suddenly love country music .

Washington Post should sponsor a highly talented chap to play at the same location the top ten hit of popular music and people will stop to listen and he will take away couple of hundreds.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

This makes me sad :(:(:(:(

Thanks Alamaking for this in the morning, I'm leaving for Kao Yai (mountain and vineyards) now with wife to see nature and "smell the roses", last week we went to the beach. This keeps me going here in Thailand . . . . . . . taking time off to experience the real world

Clone

Alfrescian
Loyal
I always try to be mindful of my surroundings.

Agreed. We shouldn't be too pre-occupied with our chattering mind.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Awareness - what have we becoming to...? ...
ya, awareness ... aware dat tis story is quite o n oredi posted b4 in tis kopitiam ...

moral of tis story ... if u r a musician, u r a nobody unless u r playing on a stage n ur performance has oredi been well-publicised ... :eek:

Last edited:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... No one knew this, but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the most talented musicians in the world. He had just played one of the most intricate pieces ever written, on a violin worth $3.5 million dollars. ...
datz not correct ... exactly 1 person recognised him ...

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/mmedia/player/wpniplayer_454.swf" style="" id="flashObj3" name="flashObj3" bgcolor="#ffffff" quality="high" allowscriptaccess="always" swfliveconnect="true" flashvars="thisObj=flashObj3&amp;vid=040407-8v_title&amp;playads=no&amp;adserv=&amp;autoStart=no" height="279" width="454">

As it happens, exactly one person recognized Bell, and she didn't arrive until near the very end. For Stacy Furukawa, a demographer at the Commerce Department, there was no doubt. She doesn't know much about classical music, but she had been in the audience three weeks earlier, at Bell's free concert at the Library of Congress. And here he was, the international virtuoso, sawing away, begging for money. She had no idea what the heck was going on, but whatever it was, she wasn't about to miss it.

Furukawa positioned herself 10 feet away from Bell, front row, center. She had a huge grin on her face. The grin, and Furukawa, remained planted in that spot until the end.

"It was the most astonishing thing I've ever seen in Washington," Furukawa says. "Joshua Bell was standing there playing at rush hour, and people were not stopping, and not even looking, and some were flipping quarters at him! Quarters! I wouldn't do that to anybody. I was thinking, Omigosh, what kind of a city do I live in that this could happen?"

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... The one who paid the most attention was a 3 year old boy. His mother tagged him along, hurried, but the kid stopped to look at the violinist. Finally, the mother pushed hard, and the child continued to walk, turning his head all the time. This action was repeated by several other children. All the parents, without exception, forced them to move on ...
ah billy collins said b4 ...

all babies r born wif a knowledge of poetry ... den, life slowly starts 2 choke ze poetry out of us ... similarly wif music, 2 ... :(

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Beauty is subjective. Not everyone will find that piece beautiful. U take a hot model dressed in a bikini just standing there and posing. You see how many men will stop and look vs how many woman will stop and look. If you change the guy with a Violin to the group U2 standing there singing their greatest hit. U see how many pple will stop and listen. The experiment failed because it failed to use a subject which is beautiful to the general masses but rather one which caters to a niche crowd.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I always try to be mindful of my surroundings.

Agreed. We shouldn't be too pre-occupied with our chattering mind.

i am always mindful and 100% of any low life that starts his sinkie behavior. either you avoid that bugger or bash him up.