• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Arsenal Season 2010/11

D

Dodomeki

Arsène Wenger: 'I can't sit and be placid like I am on dope'

Arsène Wenger has answered claims that he is becoming increasingly agitated as the season draws to a close.

Arsene_wenger.jpg

By Thom Gibbs 12:42PM BST 22 Apr 2011

The Frenchman has been stalking the touchline more than usual of late, and came onto the pitch to remonstrate with officials after Arsenal's 1-1 draw against Liverpool in the Premier League.

"I cannot ... sit there and be placid like I am on dope," Wenger said. "I care about the game and I'm motivated to win the game and agitated, yes.

"But it is one thing to be agitated and in control of your decisions and be lucid, or be completely out of control.

"I am not out of control. I am agitated because I want my team to win the game. Of course I am and I am ready to fight, believe me."

Despite his recent animated performances in the technical area, Wenger was at pains to point out that he has avoided arguments with other managers.

"I must say, though, that in the last games I had no confrontations with the other managers," he said.

"I would like you to see that if the other managers had confrontations with me it is not my problem. But I had no confrontation with any manager."

D

Dodomeki

Premier League: Bolton 2 Arsenal 1

25 April 2011

12427233020.jpg

Arsenal's league title hopes are all but over after Bolton substitute Tamir Cohen grabbed a last-minute winner at the Reebok Stadium.

Cohen celebrated by removing his Wanderers top to reveal a T-shirt complete with a photograph of his late father Avi, the former Liverpool defender.

Tamir's father was killed in a motorcycle crash last December and the 27-year-old midfielder dedicated his match winner to his memory.

The Gunners had gone behind to a 38th minute strike from Daniel Sturridge, currently on loan from rivals Chelsea.

They pulled level just after half-time through a Robin van Persie goal moments after Kevin Davies had missed a penalty for the home side.

But, despite piling on the pressure in search of three points, they were stung by Cohen's 90th minute clincher.

It was the perfect response from Bolton, following their 5-0 mauling by Stoke in the FA Cup semi-final last week.

However, Arsenal's first league defeat of 2011 leaves them nine points behind Manchester United and seemingly heading for their sixth season without a trophy.

Arsene Wenger's side started brightly and were almost ahead inside five minutes.

Theo Walcott found space on the right but his shot was parried by Jussi Jaaskelainen and Samir Nasri's follow-up effort was blocked by a combination of Gary Cahill and Zat Knight.

Jaaskelainen then tipped Cesc Fabregas's shot round the post while a Van Persie volley was blocked away by Cahill.

But Bolton forced their way back into the game and should have gone ahead when Chung-Yong Lee headed for goal but hit his shot straight at Wojciech Szczesny in the Arsenal goal.

Wanderers though went ahead in the 38th minute when Cahill powerfully headed Lee's corner against Nasri guarding the post and Sturridge followed up to head home.

And Bolton should have doubled their lead moments after the break, when they were awarded a penalty for Johann Djorou's challenge on Sturridge.

But Arsenal keeper Szczesny, who gave away a spot-kick himself in the midweek derby draw at Spurs, saved Kevin Davies' tame effort.

Moments later the Gunners broke to the other end of the pitch where Fabregas teed up Van Persie to smash home from the edge of the box.

With 20 minutes to go, Arsenal should have been ahead when Nasri beat the offside trap and went for power, firing straight at Jaaskelainen, and when the ball came back to him, Cahill got back to clear his second effort off the line.

Arsenal piled forward for the last quarter of an hour but failed to force a save from Jaaskelainen.

And Bolton pinched all three points in the last minute when Cohen headed home Matthew Taylor's corner.

jw5

Loyal
Some advice to Arse Wenger:

Buy a top class keeper and central defender to partner Vermalen. Recommend Lloris of Lyon who would join because of the French connection and Gary Cahill of Bolton.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thot the Polish keeper is quite decent. Vermaelen is likely to struggle next season especially after a long layoff.
I agree that the current two central defenders are hopeless and I think you're right that Arse will be better off with English central defenders. Having said that it is hard to put down to a single factor why the Gunners keep tripping up at the crucial stages of the season.
One thing is certain though, Wenger ought to stop whinging and make excuses for the team's failure. A more ruthless or tough love approach would do the perennial flops a whole lot of good. They're not kids Wenger!

jw5

Loyal
One thing Wenger has got wrong is that he underestimated the impact of having british players in the team.
The foreign players are talented, but they are easily distracted especially when the top teams from their home country come calling.
There must still be a base of english of british players, peppered with the foreign talent. Wilshere and Walcott are too young to form that base.
He might want to consider getting Green from West Ham as well, even though Lloris is definitely better.

D

Dodomeki

Re: Ryo Miyaichi completes move to Arsenal

Premier League preview: Arsenal v Manchester United

29 April 2011

12427233940.jpg

Manchester United visit Arsenal on Sunday with Sir Alex Ferguson's men closing in on what would be a record 19th championship.

Until recently, this match was considered a pivotal one in deciding the eventual destination of the English Premier League title, but the form of Arsene Wenger's side has dipped so markedly that they have slipped to third place behind Chelsea, nine points off the pace.

Interestingly, it has been Arsenal's form at home that has let them down this season.

Since the New Year they have been held by Blackburn (0-0), Sunderland (0-0), Newcastle (4-4), Manchester City (0-0) and Liverpool (1-1) - with all but the Newcastle game at the Emirates.

In their most recent match, a 90th-minute header from Tamir Cohen lifted Bolton to a 2-1 win at the Reebok Stadium, prompting Wenger to all but concede his side's title challenge was over.

For Ferguson's men, the march towards a 12th Premier League title continues relentlessly - and they could also be heading towards a third Champions League crown under the Scotsman's watch, after taking a 2-0 lead over Schalke in the first-leg of their semi-final on Tuesday.

In their most recent league match, a late goal from Javier Hernandez handed United a 1-0 win over Everton at Old Trafford.

Both squads are in excellent shape for this time of the season, with Arsenal's only casualties being goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski, whose season is over with a shoulder injury, and midfielder Abou Diaby who is nursing a calf problem.

In better news for Wenger, Belgian centre back Thomas Vermaelen made it through 90 minutes of Arsenal's reserves clash with United on Thursday unscathed, after missing most of the season with an Achilles tendon problem.

For United, striker Dimitar Berbatov did not feature against Schalke and is in doubt, midfielder Darren Fletcher is still battling back to full fitness after a virus and Owen Hargreaves is still unavailable.

D

Dodomeki

Re: Ryo Miyaichi completes move to Arsenal

´Wounded´ Arsenal ready to pounce

29 April 2011

12427233830.jpg

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger wants his 'wounded' team to bite back when they host Manchester United on Sunday.

Wenger's men were on target for a quadruple for a long period of the season, but one by one, Arsenal have fallen out of contention for each trophy.

It was Manchester United defender Patrice Evra who likened Arsenal to a wounded animal and Wenger agreed with that analogy.

"That's what we want to show. We are certainly wounded and we have to build up the animal until Sunday," Wenger said.

"We have been hit very hard. In fairness, I believe as well that we had an unfortunate run of fixtures because we played a run of Wednesday, Sunday, Wednesday, Sunday."

"We missed that little bit extra that Bolton had in the decisive moments when they beat us recently and that is because of our fixtures."

"That happened to us many times this season where the fixtures did not go our way."

Arsenal are now nine points behind United which has taken some of the edge out of what could have been a potential title race decider.

Wenger added: "It is disappointing from that point of view. This game was targeted as being a decider for the championship but now it certainly will not be."

"We still have to give absolutely everything and you never know if we beat United, it would come back to a six point gap."

"You never know and it is important for us to show some fighting spirit, some fighting attitude and some pride. There is more at stake on Sunday than just the mathematics."

"We will never give up as long as there is a mathematical chance, because if that is the case we have not the right to be at Arsenal Football Club."

Arsenal will be missing defender Thomas Vermaelen (Achilles tendon) and midfielder Abou Diaby (groin).

D

Dodomeki

Premier League: Arsenal 1 Manchester United 0

1 May 2011

12427234680.jpg

Arsenal provided yet another twist in the title race as Aaron Ramsey’s goal gave them a dramatic 1-0 win over leaders Manchester United.

The result means that with three games to go United are only three points clear of Chelsea - with a home match to play against Carlo Ancelotti's side next Sunday.

Even Arsenal, who thought their title dream was over, are now only six points behind top place and can no longer be completely ruled out.

It was certainly a morale-boosting victory for Arsene Wenger’s side, especially as the goal came from Welsh midfielder Ramsey, who was making only his second league start for the Gunners since suffering a broken leg against Stoke in February 2010.

The 20-year-old was only playing because captain Cesc Fabregas injured a thigh in training on Saturday, but he provided the winning goal when he stroked home from a Robin van Persie pass after 56 minutes.

The match was full of controversy, with Nemanja Vidic clearly handling a Theo Walcott cross in the first half - but escaping a penalty and a red card when his indiscretion went unnoticed by the officials.

Referee Chris Foy also turned down strong penalty appeals from United when substitute Michael Owen was kicked by Gael Clichy late on, but in truth the visitors never hit top gear and could not complain about the end result.

Arsenal by contrast dominated for long periods and United were relieved to get to the break on level terms.

Jack Wilshere should have put the home side ahead after only four minutes but rushed his shot when the ball was hastily cleared to him 18 yards out.

Theo Walcott also came agonisingly close to getting on the end of a Gael Clichy shot and Arsenal looked dominant.

They should have had a penalty thanks to Vidic’s handball from a Walcott cross that was missed by referee Chris Foy and his assistant – leaving Robin van Persie furious.

United’s best chances came through Wayne Rooney, who had a shot deflected wide before half-time and a free-kick saved at full stretch by Arsenal goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny after the break.

But Arsenal’s goal finally came in the 56th minute thanks to Ramsey.

It was van Persie who made it, jinking into the box and laying back a perfect pass for Ramsey to stroke home a right-footed shot, leaving van der Sar well beaten.

United did improve momentarily after that, with Szczesny making a fine save from Nani after the Portuguese winger was put through by Rooney; and they also had that late penalty shout.

But Arsenal were worthy winners and now the title race is set for an even more dramatic finale.

D

Dodomeki

Premier League preview: Stoke City v Arsenal

6 May 2011

12427235630.jpg

Stoke City could be excused for not taking Sunday's home game with Arsenal as seriously as most Premier League matches this season.

After all, the Potters will be six days from the club's most important match in their history - their first FA Cup final appearance.

Stoke's date with Manchester City at Wembley next Saturday will surely be preying on the minds of Tony Pulis' men as they tackle an Arsenal side with plenty of end-of-season motivation.

Stoke, in 10th place, have little to play for in their remaining three league fixtures except pride.

After Arsenal, they can exact revenge (or better still, rub salt in the wounds) when they play City at Eastlands two days after the Wembley showdown.

They then finish their season at the Brittania Stadium against Wigan Athletic on May 22.

The possibility of playing in a major European competition for the first time since 1974 will certainly be at the back (or front) of Stoke's minds on Sunday against the Gunners.

But Arsenal will still have to be wary of City, especially up front where Kenwyne Jones and Jon Walters have formed a strong partnership.

Walters and Jones are the club's joint leading goalscorers this season with 11.

The pair have scored eight goals between them in City's last seven games to help the forward line through an injury-hit spell.

Ricardo Fuller is out for the season after rupturing his Achilles at Aston Villa a fortnight ago.

And Jon Carew only returned to action at Blackpool last weekend after being on the sidelines for seven weeks with a back problem.

Carew's return gives manager Tony Pulis a welcome option up front, particularly as Matthew Etherington is in doubt with a hamstring injury.

Arsenal, in third place, six points adrift of Manchester United and three behind Chelsea, would have been buoyed by their 1-0 home win over the league leaders last Sunday.

With a Champions League spot guaranteed next season, Arsene Wenger's side may also have their foot off the pedal, but it's unlikely the Frenchman will be encouraging a lacklustre performance.

After a series of draws in their recent 16-match unbeaten run, the Gunners will be aiming to cement third place and quash any late rush by Manchester City.

Aaron Ramsey, Arsenal's goalscoring hero against United last Sunday, is in line to start at the scene of his worst nightmare.

The 20-year-old midfielder suffered a horrific double leg fracture in a challenge with Ryan Shawcross, the Stoke captain, on 27 February last year that put him out of action for nine months.

It will be the first time Ramsey has played against Shawcross and Stoke since the fateful game but not the first time that the defender has played against Arsenal.

He was barracked by the Emirates crowd during his team's 1-0 defeat on February 23.

"I got booed and abused when I went there and it didn't really affect my game," Shawcross said.

"If anything, it spurred me on to play better. I'm sure I'll get more of the same this time but I'll be able to deal with it."

"Our fans and players love putting one over on Arsenal."

"There's a bit of rivalry there because of past games and the fans will be as loud as they always are when Arsenal come to the Britannia."

Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas has already been ruled out, but Thomas Vermaelen could start his first match since August 28, following a long-running absence caused by an achilles problem.

Abou Diaby, the midfielder, continues to struggle with the calf issue that he suffered at Tottenham Hotspur on April 20.

D

Dodomeki

Premier League: Stoke 3 Arsenal 1

8 May 2011

Arsenal's faltering Premier League title challenge finally ground to a halt as Stoke City claimed a deserved 3-1 win on Sunday.

Kenwyne Jones, Jermaine Pennant and Jonathan Walters contributed to the Gunners downfall, with Robin van Persie’s late effort a mere consolation after a feisty encounter.

A lively opening 20 minutes saw van Persie and Laurent Koscielny off target for the Gunners, with Pennant failing to find an open net at the opposite end after Arsenal goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny had strayed off his line to punch away a Rory Delap cross.

Arsenal’s neat passing game came unstuck again though on 27 minutes as Stoke edged ahead from a set piece.

With Johan Djourou losing his footing Jones took full advantage to meet Pennant’s pinpoint right wing cross for the simplest of near post finishes.

With Arsene Wenger cutting a forlorn figure as he watched his one-time title chasers slip out of the reckoning, his mood will have soured further as Djourou played another unfortunate part in Stoke’s second goal.

The Swiss defender threw out a leg to block Pennant’s fierce 20 yard shot only for the ball to spin over Szczesny five minutes before the break and into the back of the net to make it 2-0.

The match threatened to boil over with several heated verbal and physical exchanges throughout - the most ferocious seeing Pennant and Jack Wilshere escape with just a yellow card each after a touchline foul on Stoke’s man of the match.

Arsenal's hopes of a late rally after van Persie had tucked his shot under Asmir Begovic lasted less than 60 seconds with Walters lifting a one-on-one opportunity over the advancing Szczesny to hammer the final nail in the coffin and signal a sixth successive trophy less season for Arsenal.

D

Dodomeki

Re: Arsene Wenger: Samir Nasri May Be Fit For Barcelona Clash

Wenger lost for words

9 May 2011

12427236320.jpg

Arsene Wenger was at a loss to explain why his Arsenal players struggled so badly in their 3-1 defeat away to Stoke City on Sunday.

Seemingly out of English Premier League title contention after another inconsistent season, Arsenal restored some pride with a 1-0 win at home to league leaders Manchester United last Sunday.

That victory provided the team renewed hope of claiming second place ahead of London rivals Chelsea.

But yet another below-par display at the Britannia Stadium - their seventh defeat of the league campaign - left Wenger with some serious questions to answer in the close season.

"Something has gone - you can see that today," Wenger said. "It was a disappointing performance."

"The competitive level for Stoke was higher than ours and overall I think we lost the game because they defended much better than we did, with much more purpose."

"On that front, we were not at the right level, certainly not in the first half."

"It is always difficult to say why, but it is a fact."

"You are never happy when you are not competitive enough. Basically, there is not a lot to say."

"Congratulations to them. We made too many mistakes to win a game like that. They defended well and it was always difficult for us."

Stoke manager Tony Pulis believes the win was a testament to the character of his players, who turned in a full-blooded performance despite Saturday's FA Cup final against Manchester CIty.

"It was pleasing in the respect of the effort and commitment the players have put in when they know that their next game is at Wembley in an FA Cup final," Pulis said.

"We have got a real good spirit in the camp and I think everybody understands and recognises that if they are picked to play for us, they have to run around, they have to work hard and they have to competitive."

"We have got some good players as well to go with that, so we are really pleased."

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Arsene Wenger: Samir Nasri May Be Fit For Barcelona Clash

As an Arsenal fan, I am still supportive of Wenger but I think he needs a strong number two or Chairman at Arsenal to help him get players who can help us move on to the next stage. Hopefully Cesc will not quite Arsenal next season although I understand if he wants to leave for Barca.

D

Dodomeki

Premier League: Arsenal 1 Aston Villa 2

16 May 2011

12427238060.jpg

Darren Bent scored twice as Aston Villa eased any lingering fears of relegation with a 2-1 win away to Arsenal on Sunday.

The Gunners went into the match knowing that two victories in their final two games would secure third position in the Premier League and ensure a route straight into the group stages of the Champions League.

But after a woeful start at the Emirates Stadium, in which they conceded twice within the first 15 minutes, Arsenal never looked likely to get back into the contest.

They left the pitch to a chorus of boos, and with fans also making a very vocal protest at next season’s proposed ticket price rises, there was an atmosphere of clear dissent in north London.

Villa will not care, though, as they were the better team and fully deserved their victory.

They have not always played to their potential this season, but the January signing of Bent for 24 million pounds now appears to have been an inspired decision.

The former Sunderland striker has now scored nine goals from 18 shots on target in the Premier League since his move, and he took both strikes brilliantly here.

The first came from Stiliyan Petrov’s long ball, which Bent took down on his chest before volleying home in one movement.

And he doubled the lead when Ashley Young took advantage of a slip by the returning Thomas Vermaelen to play in Bent, who duly slid the ball under Arsenal goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny.

The stunned hosts should have had a penalty when Richard Dunne brought down Aaron Ramsey inside the box.

It appeared a certain foul and could have led to a red card, but referee Michael Oliver waved play on.

Robin Van Persie then hit the post, but any lingering hopes Arsenal had of staging a comeback ended when Oliver disallowed Marouane Chamakh’s second-half header for a push on Kyle Walker.

The decision again appeared to be extremely harsh.

Arsenal did pull a goal back in the final minute through Van Persie, who poked home after a loose ball fell to him inside the area, but it was too late for Arsene Wenger's side to mount a comeback.

Villa were rarely troubled as they claimed a morale-boosting victory, while Arsenal’s campaign, which had promised so much, appears set to end with a whimper.

D

Dodomeki

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Arsenal ended the season with a draw with Fulham 2=2
after going behind twice, they now have to play in
the qualifying round in the CL as Man City beat Bolton 2-0
to retain 3rd position.
Relegated: Birmingham, Blackpool and West Ham.