• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Are our poor people really poor?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
"Poor" is relative. The poor in Singapore are labelled as such only because they have far less than the well-to-do sinkies.

However, by world standards, they lead very comfortable lives.

Real poverty looks like this :

extreme-poverty1.jpg

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Can quote your source of the studies you mentioned which say Singapore are malnourished?

I agree that needy elderly in Singapore needs more help than the rest and they need to be educated where to get help when they need it.

Many children from low income families are malnourished. Food on the table is scarce. If you have spent time with these children you will see that they can eat a horse and will still be willing to eat more. There have even been studies and their reports that show that a large percentage of Singaporeans are malnourished. Having these I do believe that there are many types of financial assistance schemes for the poor in Singapore and quite often these are provided unnecessarily.

There are countless numbers of the elderly who do not know how to obtain financial assistance who need more help but do not receive it. These people also need medical assistance which is costly and maybe that is why a blind eye is turned to them as helping them requires lots of financial assistance and the garment is not willing to do this.

ionzu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can quote your source of the studies you mentioned which say Singapore are malnourished?

I agree that needy elderly in Singapore needs more help than the rest and they need to be educated where to get help when they need it.

i believe the basic material needs of the bottom 10% are sufficiently met by the various aid agencies. but this is only part of the equation. its been said its better to teach a man to fish than to give him a fish. the government needs to take more active measures to teach the poor to fend for and lift themselves out of poverty. and people who are poor, remain poor because of their mindsets.

it was reported in today's papers that higher order thinking skills should not be limited to the top students. this is a dramatic mindset shift and is a good first step.

in an ideal world, the only "poor" left in singapore, are those who choose to be "poor"

Last edited:

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
2008? Maybe it is better now?

Based on what information are you suggesting that things are better now? Only the rich and some in the middle income group get richer in Singapore. Everyone else suffers a drop in living standards.

Inflation is quite high for the past two years. Wages for the lower income have not risen in proportion to increases in housing, transportation health costs etc. It is actually more likely that the number of malnourished children has risen since 2008. One should also note that the numbers for 2008 were after all the extra care by the PAPzis, VWOs and charities. The numbers would easily swell without the VWOs and charities. For a first world country we very likely have the worst figures in terms of percentage of malnourished children http://www.globalhealthfacts.org/data/topic/map.aspx?ind=48

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal
I met up with a syt friend over the weekend and she told me that there is actually no poor people in Singapore. I was about to wack her because of that statement but decided to listen to her first because she is chio.

A pig like you whack her? Bad joke, next! Go to India, China, Africa, South America and you'd see what poor really is. You people especially those ugly, old, useless and jobless ones among you who surf the net all day should feel lucky and count your blessings.

Last edited: