• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Anyone with air conditioner problems? They don't make it the way it used to.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey guys, thanks for the imput shared so far. Gotta run but I'll come back to share some useful tips on DIY air con cleaning. Willl help save a bundle especially in these times. Here's a video for you. Hope it gives you a basic idea on what cleaning is all about. And forget buying those expensive aerosol cans. I will let you know what is cheaper, faster and saver(that's Fuckface lim swee say inglish for you.)

<iframe width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KzJwW5ShfeQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Z

Zombie

Here's a video for you. Hope it gives you a basic idea on what cleaning is all about.

Great video. :biggrin:.. I myself have been doing that for many years because it is definitely cleaner than the regular maintenance by any aircon tech. I only use dishwashing liquid and garden spray.

Anyway, cleaning chemical can be bought from shops along lavender street.

emark

I need to replace my system with a system 2. Anyone can recommend a brand and model that will give me 7 trouble free years? Not that I will die by then. Just feel that will be a fair deal. I get the shivers everytime inverters are mentioned. the motherboards fail, the price of replacement will burn through your pocket to the skin.

Hmm recently I also thought of changing my air-conditioner. I dunno what brand is nice and economy saving. I agree that the word inverters also made me shivers, cos topping up the inverter freon gas can be costly lo... So any one can introduce to me any aircon service company that provide nice quotation for new installing aircon???

Z

Zombie

Hmm recently I also thought of changing my air-conditioner. I dunno what brand is nice and economy saving. I agree that the word inverters also made me shivers, cos topping up the inverter freon gas can be costly lo... So any one can introduce to me any aircon service company that provide nice quotation for new installing aircon???

but i heard that the gas (traditional type aircon) is going to be phased out...
so no choice but to get the new type of aircon...

can anyone confirm this true or not?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
but i heard that the gas (traditional type aircon) is going to be phased out...
so no choice but to get the new type of aircon...

can anyone confirm this true or not?

They are phasing out the old type of freon something called R-22 out because it is unfriendly to the ozone. Replacing it with a new type of gas which is more ozone friendly.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
A friendly word of caution. When dismantling the different parts of the in-door unit, don't be lazy. Walk down the ladder and place it in a safe corner. If you allow parts to hang up there and when they fall off, you will learn that they are more fragile than china porcelain. Trust me on that!

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cleaning the drainage pipes with diluted clorox is just as effective. Just remember not to pour a flow that is faster than what ordinary condensed water from the evaporating process allows. Just wait to see the scum coming out from the other end as it flows out to see the result.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Water leaking from the in door unit aka blower means you need to clear the built up of scum or you have a refrigerant leak. Feel the coils. If they don't feel icy cold on the lower section or the entire set and your compressor is not running, then you have a leak. Mine is leaking. I need to top up every four months at $40 per pop. Cheaper than replacing since it works when topped up! Don't allow the ads to bullshit you about leak problems.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Used Daikin back then... Good and reliable.. Then switched to Panasonic.. So far good and dependable.. One thing I hate about Spore besides the PAP is our bloody damn weather... It can get so hot at times during the night.. Air con is a must in Spore..

Especially when you are making babies :biggrin:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I wonder if i should service my aircon unit myself or engage a Aircon Service Company?
It's been 4th month since i last service my aircon unit, any suggestions?

I've been doing DIY servicing every 2 weeks for years plus calling in the service guys twice per years. So far no problems.
I do it on a bi-weekly basis because one of the rooms get dirty & cleaning is simple.

Simply wash the filters & t use a foam cleanser like Jackie/Mr Mckenic
The following video shows the step:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYT4FLZewlg

I've also use the www.airconCare system. It seems to work but all that hand pumping is tiring.
It's available at Home Fix e.g. the branch at Novena
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP7QL6hpvyo&feature=related

By watching the servicemen you'll learn how to remove the plastic cover of the aircon. This step is not essential just makes the cleaning process easier.

Silly me all this time I had a steamer and I didn't think of using it to clean my aircon:o So I now simply use the Karcher steamer to clean the aircon.