• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Anyone with air conditioner problems? They don't make it the way it used to.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
I need to replace my system with a system 2. Anyone can recommend a brand and model that will give me 7 trouble free years? Not that I will die by then. Just feel that will be a fair deal. I get the shivers everytime inverters are mentioned. the motherboards fail, the price of replacement will burn through your pocket to the skin.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
7 year trouble free?
Who can guarantee? Even if you buy extented warranty the company might go bankrupt.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
just get air-con repairmen to look at it. btw, i was told that some air-con servicing shops are set up during our hottest season, once they make enough, they will close and go back to their own trade. so if you are looking for reliable servicing, go for those shops that have been set up for few years already.

Charlie258

Alfrescian
Loyal
I just keep 4 spare wall-mount units on stand-by, stored in my bomb shelter. Anything wrong, just pull out faulty unit, throw away, replace with new wall-mount unit.

The outdoor part never goes wrong. At least, in my experience.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I need to replace my system with a system 2. Anyone can recommend a brand and model that will give me 7 trouble free years? Not that I will die by then. Just feel that will be a fair deal. I get the shivers everytime inverters are mentioned. the motherboards fail, the price of replacement will burn through your pocket to the skin.

I've had more than 5 years of trouble free operation on all my panasonic inverter heat pumps.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
I been looking at air cons for sometimes..inverter or not...ac or dc motors...21k btu or 27 btu for 3 way..9k +9k +9k or 9k +9k+18K blowers(the aircon inside ur house)...questions,questions questions.

But no satisfactory answers yet.Yes,those made years ago lasted for 20 yrs but than you were never worried about the electricity bill also.Hence your first priority should be the monthly electricity bill.Second consideration is the maintenance and thus the spare parts you have to pay for.

Now,the most important part is the compressor.The heart.If it fails the end of your aircon.But almost all aircon manufactures ,including those in China,use compressors made by established manufactures in Japan.Thus most give 5 years guarantee.But not for the parts.Almost all manufactures gives only 1 year.So look for brands that gives extended warranty on this.First priority.

But just as important as the brand of aircon the installation is even more important...I had not known any manufacturer who does installation.In fact some agents sub con the wok to the cheapest bidder.Where the contractors cuts corners which reduces the life expectancy and increases your electricity bill.You must know a little bit on the aircon installation works....learn through the net.

To cut the matter...Why not consider Mideo made in china brand...only about 1990 for 3 way inverter and far less for 2 way...they give good guarantee and its eco friendly.Even if it break down after 5 yrs its still a bargain.But you MUST dictate your terms to installation for the kinds of materials used.Though it might cost a bit more.Good luck.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Have a Daikin & the only major problem I've had was a failed electronic board after 8 years. They were able to locate a 2nd hand part & replace it for under $300.

Should pay equal attention to the installation of the pipping otherwise you will have future problems. Poor drainage will cause drainage blockages which will require chemical cleaning to clear.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Should pay equal attention to the installation of the pipping otherwise you will have future problems. Poor drainage will cause drainage blockages which will require chemical cleaning to clear.

Any place we can buy this chemical or not har?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Any place we can buy this chemical or not har?

Dunno & don't recommend if you are a layperson.
Had chemica cleaning done on 1 of my aircons & the chemical is strong stuff. The cleaning stripped the outer layer of the fins until all the fins was shinny:eek:

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Used Daikin back then... Good and reliable.. Then switched to Panasonic.. So far good and dependable.. One thing I hate about Spore besides the PAP is our bloody damn weather... It can get so hot at times during the night.. Air con is a must in Spore..

Charlie258

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have a Daikin & the only major problem I've had was a failed electronic board after 8 years. They were able to locate a 2nd hand part & replace it for under $300.

Yah, that motherboard problem is a real Bummer, isn't it? My one is about to go soon, and I expect to shell out a few hundred to replace it!

As for the piping and associated drainage problem: let me share my Secret of Cool Happy Living in Singapore: a Heavy-Duty Wet-&-Dry Vacuum Cleaner!!!! You got to use it to suck out all the gunk & jelly from the Far End of the a/c Drainage Pipe!!!! (usually, this end of the drainage pipe is in the Bathroom) Me and my wife, we work long hours and have no time to maintain our house, cars, and air-con's. Our air-con's never get serviced!!!! But with the trusty industrial-strength sucker pump, they are in their 7th year pumping out cold air full-blast all day & nite!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Heavy-Duty Wet-&-Dry Vacuum Cleaner!!!! You got to use it to suck out all the gunk & jelly from the Far End of the a/c Drainage Pipe!!!! (usually, this end of the drainage pipe is in the Bathroom) Me and my wife, we work long hours and have no time to maintain our house, cars, and air-con's. Our air-con's never get serviced!!!! But with the trusty industrial-strength sucker pump, they are in their 7th year pumping out cold air full-blast all day & nite!

Yah have a friend who recommended doing this. I just do a weekly cleaning of the filters & shampooing of the fins using a cleaner like "Jackie" aircon cleaner & have the service people visit once a year.

I'm also unfortunate in having construction going on in my area for the past 4 to 5 years. You wouldn't believe the extra amount of dust it creates:(

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Blockage of drainage is caused by dirt, algae and scum. If you have a wet and dry vacuum cleaner you can just suck it out.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dunno & don't recommend if you are a layperson.
Had chemica cleaning done on 1 of my aircons & the chemical is strong stuff. The cleaning stripped the outer layer of the fins until all the fins was shinny:eek:

Chemical cleaning is done by using mild acid which cleans the fins. Not advisable to do it but in extremely bad condition then there is no choice. Usually using plain water to blast and brush should be good enough if done every 6 months. Chemical cleaning removes any factory coating on the fins and coils and is shiny for a while before oxidisng quickly. The fins then becomes brittle and breaks away until there are no more fins left after some time.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yah have a friend who recommended doing this. I just do a weekly cleaning of the filters & shampooing of the fins using a cleaner like "Jackie" aircon cleaner & have the service people visit once a year.

I'm also unfortunate in having construction going on in my area for the past 4 to 5 years. You wouldn't believe the extra amount of dust it creates:(

Once a week is too often. The filters should be wash every month and vacuum the insides as well. Sometimes the blower fans in the indoor FCU gets quite dirty and you should get a qualified technician to take it out and cleaned properly.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Once a week is too often. The filters should be wash every month and vacuum the insides as well. Sometimes the blower fans in the indoor FCU gets quite dirty and you should get a qualified technician to take it out and cleaned properly.

I notice that in some rooms the filter gets very clogged up within 2 weeks by what I suspect is lint because in that room cloths are stored. I clean weekly as a preventive because I want to avoid buildup of slime. Since I'm doing 1 room I do it for all the rooms. Blocked filters impairs the efficiency of the aircon & wastes power. Now using an air purifier in that room & it helps reduce the problem.

Used to have the aircon serviced every 3-4 months & observed that they do a more thorough cleaning job but if I do simple preventive cleaning don't need them to come in that often.

I remember "Mr Mckenic" used to sell a choke cleaner that's supposed to clear blockages. It contains citric acid, organic acid & sodium phosphate. Got it bundled with their aircon cleaner. However I don't see their aircon products anymore in hardware stores like Mr Fixit, where I originally bought the bundle.

Z

Zombie

As for the piping and associated drainage problem: let me share my Secret of Cool Happy Living in Singapore: a Heavy-Duty Wet-&-Dry Vacuum Cleaner!!!! You got to use it to suck out all the gunk & jelly from the Far End of the a/c Drainage Pipe!!!! (usually, this end of the drainage pipe is in the Bathroom) Me and my wife, we work long hours and have no time to maintain our house, cars, and air-con's. Our air-con's never get serviced!!!! But with the trusty industrial-strength sucker pump, they are in their 7th year pumping out cold air full-blast all day & nite!

actually this is not going to help if you have a serious blockage because:
1) blockage usually occurs near the fan coil unit - too far away from exit point..
2) few fan coil units are usually connected to one exit point - one unblocked fan coil unit is enough to make suction useless for other blocked fan coil units..

if you can afford to have your floor wet, try
1) wrap securely the whole lower portion of all fan coil units with large trash bag - to trap and hold the water overflowing from the fan coil units
2) stick one end of the water hose into the exit point and turn on the water tap
3) let the water slowly filled the whole drainage pipe up to the fan coil units
4) when water are overflowing from ALL the fan coil units, pull out the water hose and let the water drains off (you will be surprised what super-powerful vacuum cleaner cannot do)
5) repeat 2-4 a few times

Last edited by a moderator: