• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Anyone still remember KFC in the 1980s?

valiant20

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Texas Fried chicken beats KFC and Popeyes now I reckon.

Love their current Monday promotion.. 4 pieces for $4.80.. :biggrin:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
always an eastie, fondly remembered the A&W vs KFC near Kallang Stadium :smile::smile::smile:

Patronised the joints there when young but not often. Was a little out-of-the-way. Was always along Orchard - carpark, Tivoli, McDonalds (Liat Towers), KFC (Orchard)etc.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
always an eastie, fondly remembered the A&W vs KFC near Kallang Stadium :smile::smile::smile:

Best memory of A&W was the one along Bt Timah just above the canal. Used to play soccer at the field opposite.
2 mugs of root beer, one after the other, sup sup sui.

roadrunner

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes the chicken pieces were much bigger kumpong style chicken. More juicy and succulent. Not like today damn small and dry.

I'm not sure if anyone remembers but Big Macs were bigger when they first open in Singapore, you know why? becos Macdonalds did not source local beef & salad, buns etc. Everything was airflown from USA!!

roadrunner

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whether it's the 80's or current, somehow KFC's chickens are aLways tastier across the causeway.Dont know why..
:wink:

I guess in Malaysia they sourced local chickens, what they call kampung chickens that run around freely or even those in poultry farms also run around freely & not caged from birth to slaughter like today. I don't think Singapore has enough live poultry chickens to supply KFC & all other chicken rice stalls! For KFC they can import frozen chicken pieces from god knows where while Chicken rice vendors need live whole chickens. Good chicken rice chickens need to be at least 2.5kg which means the chickens are mature weight, any smaller the tastes quality goes down, same goes for roast ducks. If the chickens are free range even better, the meat tastes nicer & the meat is slightly darker around the bones. That's why whenever you eat that Cantonese Pak Jarm Kai/white chop chicken it has to be big or else it'll taste bland with young chickens.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm not sure if anyone remembers but Big Macs were bigger when they first open in Singapore, you know why? becos Macdonalds did not source local beef & salad, buns etc. Everything was airflown from USA!!

Believe it or not even the ice cubes...airflown from US of A....

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1st drive-in fast food restaurant? Root beer with ice cream float.

And yes, kg java spot under cover for lovers spot too

Root beer float! And coney dogs...later curly fries....later started selling waffles, pizza, nasi lemak and what not that's when they went downhill

roadrunner

Alfrescian
Loyal
Best memory of A&W was the one along Bt Timah just above the canal. Used to play soccer at the field opposite.
2 mugs of root beer, one after the other, sup sup sui.

Yes that was my first A&W, we had to take like 2 buses to get there from school, always ended up as a makan & paktor outing:biggrin: was that the first A&W in SG?

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
1st drive-in fast food restaurant? Root beer with ice cream float.

And yes, kg java spot under cover for lovers spot too

Some of moi old neighbours r frm Yamaha bike gang...follow em 1-2 times to Kampong Java and Kallang Stadium...they will race, fight, attend birthday function, bbq, go for midnite movies n pai helmet in front of cinema screen or grab 1 or 2 rochee girl pai roti every weekend...not moi cup of tea...stop after 1-2 outing...those were de days...