• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Another good reason to leave this country...

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
At least will be happier.

gallup.jpg

According to a poll published by Gallup on 18 Jul 2013 [Link], Singaporeans are one of the top 10 most pessimistic in the world about the direction of their lives last year. Nearly 1 in 4 Singaporeans expect their lives in 5 years to be worse than their present lives.

Gallup conducted telephone and face-to-face interviews with approximately 1,000 adults per country, aged 15 and older, in 141 countries and areas last year.

Top 10 Most Pessimistic Countries in 2012

Percentages of the population rating their future lives worse than their current lives (based on respondents’ ratings of their lives in 5 years vs. their current lives using a 0-to-10 scale).

The world’s most pessimistic country is Greece. Last week, Greece and its creditors agreed on the terms of continued bailout payments. Greece will continue to implement austerity measures demanded by the European Commission, the European Central Bank, and the IMF, which will mean further public-sector cuts.

With its economy in shambles after years of austerity measures and depression, an unemployment rate of 27% — and double that among young people — and frequent protests against the government’s austerity plans, Greeks do not have much hope that their situation could improve in the near future.

On the other hand, it’s strange that Singapore with an unemployment rate of about 2%, falls into the top 10 rankings of being one of the most pessimistic countries.

Gallup asks respondents to rate their current and future lives on a ladder scale with steps numbered from zero to 10 based on the Cantril Self-Anchoring Striving Scale. Gallup labels those who rate their future lives higher than their current lives as optimistic and those who rate their future lives lower than their current lives as pessimistic. Those who rate their future lives the same as their current lives fall into neither of those groups.

Some of the most optimistic countries are those with the lowest current life ratings — reflecting the belief that their current situations are poor and can only get better. Optimism may be more widespread in these countries simply because people cannot imagine that their lives could get any worse. Nearly everyone in Burkina Faso, Comoros, Niger, Benin, Guinea, and the Somaliland region, and nine in 10 or more in Chad, Rwanda, and Senegal rate their future lives higher than their present situations.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
It looks like Misery loves company.

Optimism and Pessimism are states of the mind. Nothing to do with a country. It's a very individual perception.

The key to optimism is to set a series of goals and go about achieving them one step at a time.

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The state of mind is partly dependent on the policy determined by the policy makers. Human react based on their past experiences and 25% of us feel that their life will be worse 5 years from now. They feel this way because their way has not been improving for years.

Optimism and Pessimism are states of the mind. Nothing to do with a country. It's a very individual perception.

The key to optimism is to set a series of goals and go about achieving them one step at a time.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
The state of mind is partly dependent on the policy determined by the policy makers. Human react based on their past experiences and 25% of us feel that their life will be worse 5 years from now. They feel this way because their way has not been improving for years.

Ignore the policy makers and their policies. Chart your own course and stick to it.

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
How to ignore when their policy directly affects your life? 2nd hand car business suffer because of their stupid loan restriction and housing is at all time high. Many people has not seen a real pay increase in decades and jump is barely enough for inflation.

I'm not affacted but I see those around me suffer...friends, relatives, etc.

Ignore the policy makers and their policies. Chart your own course and stick to it.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
How to ignore when their policy directly affects your life? 2nd hand car business suffer because of their stupid loan restriction and housing is at all time high. Many people has not seen a real pay increase in decades and jump is barely enough for inflation.

I'm not affacted but I see those around me suffer...friends, relatives, etc.

Adversity exists in any country. I've found that the best attitude to adopt in Singapore is to try to be like water.. when you meet an obstacle, flow around it.

Too many Singaporeans behave like rocks. They throw themselves as hard as possible against a solid reinforced wall but the result is a foregone conclusion. Unless you're a very, very big rock, you're going to bounce backwards and hurt yourself in the process.

2nd hand car businesses should be able to lease their cars instead of selling them outright. That should circumvent the new rulings.

As for housing I've always felt that Singapore is an enviable position because CPF contributions bring huge relief to any cash flow problems the young might have.

If Singapore is not your cup of tea, then optimism can be restored by planning a move to an environment more to your liking.

Whenever you meet a problem, the reaction must be "how can I solve this and come out better off!". Instead, the instinctive reaction of sinkies when they experience hardship is to curse and swear at the PAP. I can't think of anything more unproductive.

ThePlen

Alfrescian
Loyal
the typical singaporean has been born and bred to make complains and not think out of the box. with special thanks to MOE.

If Singapore is not your cup of tea, then optimism can be restored by planning a move to an environment more to your liking.

Whenever you meet a problem, the reaction must be "how can I solve this and come out better off!". Instead, the instinctive reaction of sinkies when they experience hardship is to curse and swear at the PAP. I can't think of anything more unproductive.

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
At least the euro countries can escape to other european countries in the Schengen area if they want a better life.
Sinkies will just have to suffer if they're not happy (or vote for change in 2016).

TS - pls post the link to the Gallup poll.

pinkpanther7

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sam, Your words of wisdom is one reason why I am here at this forum everyday. Keep up the good work.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Sam, Your words of wisdom is one reason why I am here at this forum everyday. Keep up the good work.

Please contribute your wisdom too. The forum is very short of this commodity. 99% do nothing but curse, swear and complaiiinnnnn!!!!

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Sinkies will just have to suffer if they're not happy (or vote for change in 2016).

Have they passed some law that I am not aware of? My nephew left Singapore in 2010 for long term assignment abroad. He's been there ever since and has no plans to return any time in the near future.

I had no idea that pink ICs can no longer leave the country.

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Have they passed some law that I am not aware of? My nephew left Singapore in 2010 for long term assignment abroad. He's been there ever since and has no plans to return any time in the near future.

I had no idea that pink ICs can no longer leave the country.

The statement was made vis-à-vis with the ease in which EU citizens in Schengen can move around the Eurozone. Sarcasm isn't your strong point. :rolleyes:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
The statement was made vis-à-vis with the ease in which EU citizens in Schengen can move around the Eurozone. Sarcasm isn't your strong point. :rolleyes:

Singapore has many free trade agreements with various countries around the world and many of them have work exchange clauses which facilitate the movement of skilled personnel between countries. That's how my nephew got his break.

There are plenty of opportunities for Singaporeans to work abroad if they have skills to offer. To claim that Singaporeans are "stuck" is blatantly untrue.