• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Anna

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Found this in online forum:

Getting another citizenship without renouncing the Singaporean one is not a criminal offence. The worst that can happen if they find out and want to take action is that you lose the Singaporean one. However, making a false declaration is a criminal offence.

This thread mentioned that sg govt cannot revoke citizenship of a sinkie if sinkie commits no offense?
Ie. lie about possessing dual citizenship during passport renewal?

What if I get aust citizenship but choose not to renew sg passport and just travel with aust passport? I then live in sg and never have to face the dumb question if I have dual citizenship except when I renew for sg passport?

Sorry to keep asking these qns that seem similar but they are not. It lies in the fine details that are crucial.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Found this in online forum:

Getting another citizenship without renouncing the Singaporean one is not a criminal offence. The worst that can happen if they find out and want to take action is that you lose the Singaporean one. However, making a false declaration is a criminal offence.

This thread mentioned that sg govt cannot revoke citizenship of a sinkie if sinkie commits no offense?
Ie. lie about possessing dual citizenship during passport renewal?

What if I get aust citizenship but choose not to renew sg passport and just travel with aust passport? I then live in sg and never have to face the dumb question if I have dual citizenship except when I renew for sg passport?

Sorry to keep asking these qns that seem similar but they are not. It lies in the fine details that are crucial.

Daphne is a lawyer and I suppose she knows the law. She has not committed any offence by seeking to renew her SG passport

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Daphne is a lawyer and I suppose she knows the law. She has not committed any offence by seeking to renew her SG passport

Thanks a lot Tracy for sharing this, it sure helps.

I am wondering what if I renew my sg passport while having another passport, ica knows and I live in sinkieland, will I receive letters all the time forcing me to renounce one citizenship? Or I should just let sg passport lapse and live in sinkieland with Aussie passport? This way, ica will not know and sg department will not harrass me to make a choice?

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks a lot Tracy for sharing this, it sure helps.

I am wondering what if I renew my sg passport while having another passport, ica knows and I live in sinkieland, will I receive letters all the time forcing me to renounce one citizenship? Or I should just let sg passport lapse and live in sinkieland with Aussie passport? This way, ica will not know and sg department will not harrass me to make a choice?

good questions. I don't have the best answer

For Daphne's case, she is prepared to lose her SG citizenship and she just wanted to taunt the SG authorities and TCH. She wrote a personal letter to TCH.

But so far, TCH and MHA have not forced her

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
good questions. I don't have the best answer

For Daphne's case, she is prepared to lose her SG citizenship and she just wanted to taunt the SG authorities and TCH. She wrote a personal letter to TCH.

But so far, TCH and MHA have not forced her

Pap is only good in bullying sinkies in sinkieland. The problem is I want to move back to live one day so have to worry about keeping 2 citizenships, passport renewal crap.

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if so, then you must try to keep ur SG citizenship

What's the best course of action you reckon?
For now, I think it's to let sg passport lapse so I won't have to answer the trick qn. Just travel with aust passport into sg? Then again, will I be asked at custom if I am sg citizen and why not travelling with sg passport? Is that a criminal offense then?

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What's the best course of action you reckon?
For now, I think it's to let sg passport lapse so I won't have to answer the trick qn. Just travel with aust passport into sg? Then again, will I be asked at custom if I am sg citizen and why not travelling with sg passport? Is that a criminal offense then?

I think your suggestion is good. Use your SG passport until it expires. Then don't renew your SG passport and use your aus passport to travel. I don't think it is an offence to hold aus citizenship. The worst case is that you may be forced to make a choice.

Perhaps you may wish to check with a lawyer abt whether it is an offence to hv dual citizenship

Last edited:

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think your suggestion is good. Use your SG passport until it expires. Then don't renew your SG passport and use your aus passport to travel. I don't think it is an offence to hold aus citizenship. The worst case is that you may be forced to make a choice.

Perhaps you may wish to check with a lawyer abt whether it is an offence to hv dual citizenship

Thanks Tracy, will try to find out from a lawyer.

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's better to be a sg pr than a sinkie.
Sg pr is lifelong and has same right to live and work as sinkie but can live long term overseas with other citizenships.

Sinkie cannot acquire lifelong pr without living in those countries and have to make a choice to become citizens or lose pr. Then also have to be forced to give up sinkie citizenship if take up citizenship of another country.