• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

American man backside itchy go & engage M Ravi as his lawyer

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Correction. It's Criminal Legal Aid Scheme administered by a Committee, not Criminal Legal Aid Board.

I believe even though pro bono, the lawyers are still being paid by the State, nominal fees, perhaps.

20cts toilet

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE: American citizen Kamari Kenyada Charlton who is already facing a charge of overstaying in Singapore, has also been charged with cheating in the Subordinate Courts on Friday.

The charge alleges that Charlton had on or before 19 March this year, made calls from his handphone to an Australian by the name of Mirko Prskalo to deceive the person into believing that his nephew and family were in urgent need of funds while in Singapore.

The charge read that Prskalo was dishonestly induced to remit a total sum of A$17, 144.71 on four occasions to Charlton in Singapore through Western Union.

Charlton did not appear in person, as the proceedings were held in the judge's chambers, where communications with him were conducted by a videolink to Changi Prison.

Charlton is to be further remanded so that investigations can continue.

The case will be mentioned again in the Subordinate Courts on 29 October.

Meanwhile, Charlton's lawyer M Ravi has discharged himself and the case has been taken over by Mr Hamidul Haq from the law firm, Rajah and Tann.

-CNA/ac

gnoikj

Alfrescian
Loyal
HOHO! M Ravi looks so dumb now! Kenna dropped by the Americans! haha...Argue case against caning without realising the guy has other charges!

Cheat old people!! Ravi condones this kind of act? ha!

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's not apparent because such cases are being referred to the Criminal Legal Aid Board (capital offence cases) and to a certain extent, monopolized. Now guess who runs the Criminal Legal Aid Board ?

You can rest assured that lawyers crave capital offence cases. You will get free advertisements on MSM. People often have the misconception that if you appear on TV often you must be famous; and famous, good. This, despite your track record where most of your clients have ended up being hanged.
(Quote: your own correction: It's Criminal Legal Aid Scheme administered by a Committee, not Criminal Legal Aid Board.)

You've got your facts all wrong. For the record, the courts dont refer case or accuse to CLAS. Click here and you'll understand better.

No challenge on the publicity stance I stress a again. Presumption and assumption is the lowest form of intelligence, I have no wish to engage on that.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
(Quote: your own correction: It's Criminal Legal Aid Scheme administered by a Committee, not Criminal Legal Aid Board.)

You've got your facts all wrong. For the record, the courts dont refer case or accuse to CLAS. Click here and you'll understand better.

No challenge on the publicity stance I stress a again. Presumption and assumption is the lowest form of intelligence, I have no wish to engage on that.

Will CLAS Help in All Types of Offences?

CLAS only covers offences under the following statutes:

Arms & Explosives Act
Arms Offences Act
Corrosive & Explosive Substances & Offensive Weapons Act
Dangerous Fireworks Act
Enlistment Act
Explosive Substances Act
Films Act
Miscellaneous Offences (Public Order and Nuisance) Act
Misuse of Drugs Act
Penal Code
Prevention of Corruption Act
Undesirable Publications Act
Vandalism Act
Sections 65(8) and 140(1)(i) of the Women’s Charter
Misuse of Computer Act

However, when you are charged with an offence which is punishable by death, and you cannot afford to pay for a private Lawyer, the Registrar of the Supreme Court will arrange for two lawyers to represent you.

What I wrote:

Originally Posted by Queen Seok Duk

It's not apparent because such cases are being referred to the Criminal Legal Aid Board (capital offence cases) and to a certain extent, monopolized. Now guess who runs the Criminal Legal Aid Board ?

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
HOHO! M Ravi looks so dumb now! Kenna dropped by the Americans! haha...Argue case against caning without realising the guy has other charges!

Cheat old people!! Ravi condones this kind of act? ha!

At least the American is getting a real lawyer. Not the clown who should limit his clientèle to the MONGREL who bit his masters' hands LOUDHAILER chee soon juan.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think M Ravi is cheaper and willing to take up the case and i doubt any other law firm willing to take this case.

You're wrong. All firms will act for anyone, even the MONGREL who bit his masters' hands LOUDHAILER chee soon juan if you spit up the moola.

If the MONGREL who bit his masters' hands LOUDHAILER chee soon juan walked into Drew and Napier and offered Davi $1 million to act for him, I'm sure Davi will take the brief. Truth is that the MONGREL who bit his masters' hands LOUDHAILER chee soon juan has no money so nobody other than IMH Ravi wants to act for him.

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal
Will CLAS Help in All Types of Offences?

CLAS only covers offences under the following statutes:

Arms & Explosives Act
Arms Offences Act
Corrosive & Explosive Substances & Offensive Weapons Act
Dangerous Fireworks Act
Enlistment Act
Explosive Substances Act
Films Act
Miscellaneous Offences (Public Order and Nuisance) Act
Misuse of Drugs Act
Penal Code
Prevention of Corruption Act
Undesirable Publications Act
Vandalism Act
Sections 65(8) and 140(1)(i) of the Women’s Charter
Misuse of Computer Act

However, when you are charged with an offence which is punishable by death, and you cannot afford to pay for a private Lawyer, the Registrar of the Supreme Court will arrange for two lawyers to represent you.

What I wrote:

Originally Posted by Queen Seok Duk

All types of offences, look at Penal Code.

There's no "Criminal Legal Aid Board" you so mentioned. Capital offence case, I think by now you ought to understand legal aids are assigned if one could not afford or lawyers volunteers to pick it up pro bono.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
All types of offences, look at Penal Code.

There's no "Criminal Legal Aid Board" you so mentioned. Capital offence case, I think by now you ought to understand legal aids are assigned if one could not afford or lawyers volunteers to pick it up pro bono.

I made an admission in post 24 that I made a mistake and that it should CLAS instead of Criminal Legal Aid Board. You already attributed the correction to me in your post 27 which means in post 27 you were already being told my none other than yours truly that there is no Criminal Legal Aid Board.

When I mentioned in post 18 (which you quoted in full), I qualified my comment in brackets (capital offence cases). I said lawyers would rush to do pro bono cases, and the pro bono cases I was referring to capital offence cases as such cases tend to attract free publicity for the lawyers involved.

The reason why it's not apparent to you (that lawyers rush to do pro bono cases) is because pro bono cases (criminal cases) are controlled by this Committee called CLAS.

The Registrar does not 'assign' because he does not control the lawyers doing pro bono. The website says the Registrar will 'arrange'. Yes, arrange with CLAS which is the controlling body.

In capital offence cases, you are entitled to legal aid. In cases other than capital offence cases, you don't get legal aid automatically.

I don't know why you insist that CLAS covers all types of offences. It clearly says CLAS only covers offences etc, which means not all. Otherwise, they should have just said all "CLAS covers all".

I cited capital offence cases as an example because it's the one that I claimed lawyers crave doing. I didn't say only capital cases are eligible for legal aid.

Last edited:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A very, very interesting case indeed. Wonder if Obama would ask Nathan for caning discount even if the Great S'pore Sale is over? Could well end up as Michael Fay Part 2. Another headache for MFA and our ambassador in Washington. At least the latter can learn from Nathan who handled the Fay crisis.

Ravi? He cannot be trusted from head to toe. I know him pretty well. If he doen not want your money, and lots of it, then he wants free publicity. Nothing comes free.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I cited capital offence cases as an example because it's the one that I claimed lawyers crave doing. I didn't say only capital cases are eligible for legal aid.

While that's true, it must be qualified that CLAS isn't an entitlement. No lawyer registered for CLAS is obliged to take up any case they don't want to. In the Adrian Lim case, no lawyer whether paid or CLAS took up.

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't know why you say it's all types of offences. It clearly says CLAS only covers offences etc, which means not all. Otherwise, they should have just all "CLAS covers all".

Well, "Penal Code" covers about all various offences. I thought you understand that.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, "Penal Code" covers about all various offences. I thought you understand that.

Really ? Penal Code clearly does not cover Misuse of Drugs. Otherwise, why have a Misuse of Drugs Act ? Why have a Prevention of Corruption Act ?

"about all various offences" is very different from "all offences".

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Penal Code is colonial law from British India passed on to other colonies, where there're no recorded Common Law case precedents for various offences against the state. It doesn't cover "all various offences."

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
While that's true, it must be qualified that CLAS isn't an entitlement. No lawyer registered for CLAS is obliged to take up any case they don't want to. In the Adrian Lim case, no lawyer whether paid or CLAS took up.

Yandao, I hope you got your facts right.

http://infopedia.nl.sg/articles/SIP_71_2005-02-02.html

Glenn Knight was the Deputy Public Prosecutor, while Howard Cashin, J. B. Jeyaretnam, and Nathan Isaac were the three defence counsels assigned by the High Court to defend Lim, Tan, and Hoe respectively. The case was heard before Justice T. S. Sinnathuray and Justice F. A. Chua, and a team of witnesses, including psychiatrists who had observed the accused, as well as other clients of Lim's, were called to the stand. On 23 May 1983, the three accused were sentenced to death. While Adrian Lim accepted the verdict, both Tan and Hoe appealed, on grounds of mental illness. Tan was represented by Francis Seow, and Hoe by Nathan Isaac again. In August 1986, their appeal was dismissed by Chief Justice Wee Chong Jin, Justice Lai Kew Chai and Justice L. P. Thean. Further appeals to the Privy Council of London did not succeed, and clemency from President Wee Kim Wee was also not approved.

BTW, entitlement refers to right of the accused to be represented, not obligation of the CLAS. They are 2 very different things.

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal
Really ? Penal Code clearly does not cover Misuse of Drugs. Otherwise, why have a Misuse of Drugs Act ? Why have a Prevention of Corruption Act ?

"about all various offences" is very different from "all offences".

I had no wish in going on word for word. Click here for a better understanding.