• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

American man backside itchy go & engage M Ravi as his lawyer

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
While that's true, it must be qualified that CLAS isn't an entitlement. No lawyer registered for CLAS is obliged to take up any case they don't want to. In the Adrian Lim case, no lawyer whether paid or CLAS took up.

You call yourself a representative of BG (minus 5 ranks) MG Soh? In capital offences a lawyer is an entitlement. Don't anyhow CLAS or non-CLAS if you dunnno.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
I had no wish in going on word for word. Click here for a better understanding.

To be fair, you should also read the sites to gain a better understanding. It clearly says:

"The Penal Code does not exhaustively define all the criminal offences applicable in Singapore – a large number of these are created by other statutes such as the Arms Offences Act,[2] Kidnapping Act,[3] Misuse of Drugs Act[4] and Vandalism Act.[5]"

And if you meant to say Penal Code and the rest of the statutes listed in the LawSoc website would comprise ALL offences, the Law Society site which URL you provided clearly says:

"Will CLAS Help in All Types of Offences?

CLAS only covers offences under the following statutes:"

What does "only covers offences under the following statutes" mean ? It certainly infers there are offences not covered under those statutes. You don't have to be legally trained to understand. It's simple English.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You call yourself a representative of BG (minus 5 ranks) MG Soh? In capital offences a lawyer is an entitlement. Don't anyhow CLAS or non-CLAS if you dunnno.

I'm flattered. Arguments of issues always somehow gravitate around me. I'm so handsome, suave, smooth and attention grabbing even without trying or even when I don't really want to. Hell, even when I'm mistaken.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha...I just realized I made a mistake.

CLAS does not cover capital offences. Indeed, it's assigned by the Courts.

http://www.lawsociety.org.sg/probono/CLAS/FAQs.aspx

2. Does CLAS cover death penalty offences?

CLAS does not cover death penalty offences as the State will assign you a lawyer if you cannot afford one under the Supreme Court Legal Aid Scheme for Capital Offences (LASCO).

The other LawSoc site that Kids278 provided is slightly different in context. I'm not sure which is the updated one, though.

http://www.lawsociety.org.sg/public/you_and_the_law/criminal_legal_aid_scheme.aspx

However, when you are charged with an offence which is punishable by death, and you cannot afford to pay for a private Lawyer, the Registrar of the Supreme Court will arrange for two lawyers to represent you.

I think the difference is CLAS you have to apply and satisfy a means test; LASCO is an entitlement, no means test. In that sense, it's not pro bono as the lawyer is paid by the State.

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lets not confuse the matter.

Have we caned overstayers? If we have then law should be applied equally regardless of where person is from.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We have caned tens of thousands of foreigners for overstaying and being illegal immigrants - usually indians, Banglas and Thais. I don't think any white bum was caned for immigration offences in the past.