• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

all dialects are dead in singapore!!

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks Sirus, well put.

Manager, I'd thought I made it clear that I supported making English and Mandarin our media of instruction. There was however no need to cleanse the media of other Chinese languages and to denigrate them.

and your point is?
that Singapore should replace mandarin with dialect and all Singaporean should use dialect instead of English/mandarin??

The point is: The damaging part is banning the public broadcast.

Manager

Don't mess with me
Generous Asset
and how many people can u reach using your dialect?

can u use your dialect to communicate with the malays, the indians, the eurasians?
some of your own kind wont even be able to understand what you are saying.

The point is: The damaging part is banning the public broadcast.

Well put? i thought you were better

There is a reason why even CHINA is using a common Language. Standard Mandarin.
A country can progress faster and achieve more if they are able to communicate better using a common language.
if the usage of dialect were allow to proliferate, We wouldnt have the Singapore we have today.

if one wishes to use dialect, use it, among your family, friends, relative. there is no need to use it in public broadcase where it can only reach a limited few.

Thanks Sirus, well put.

Manager, I'd thought I made it clear that I supported making English and Mandarin our media of instruction. There was however no need to cleanse the media of other Chinese languages and to denigrate them.

numero uno

Alfrescian
Loyal
and how many people can u reach using your dialect?

can u use your dialect to communicate with the malays, the indians, the eurasians?
some of your own kind wont even be able to understand what you are saying.

Well put? i thought you were better

There is a reason why even CHINA is using a common Language. Standard Mandarin.
A country can progress faster and achieve more if they are able to communicate better using a common language.
if the usage of dialect were allow to proliferate, We wouldnt have the Singapore we have today.

if one wishes to use dialect, use it, among your family, friends, relative. there is no need to use it in public broadcase where it can only reach a limited few.
how wrong you are. you obviously haven't gone to China. In Xiamen they have daily broadcast news in Teochew and the population of teochew there easily exceeds 50 million!!! There are almost 120 million cantonese speakers in Shenzhen and HK region with news, Tv , dramas in cantonese. almost 100 million Hakka speakers in Dabu and all these regions have radio and TV broadcasts in dialects. singapore and even sabah an sarawak used to have radio news in dialects. Screw the mandarin bureaucrats who know nuts. everyone knows that DengXP and LKY got along well because of their hakka roots. so for lee teng hui and LKY amd DXP. Dialects are actually a language by itself with a culture unique to each region. they are practised by millions . imagined a population sized of France or germany speaking cantonese or hakka or teochew, only stupid mao tse tung tied to abolish it but failed like his crap cultural revolution and now people are screwing this low class hunan farmer for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJAql6KbYmg

Manager

Don't mess with me
Generous Asset
u dont get my point.. the leader dont use dialact to communicate on national TV, they use Standard Mandarin.

try broadcasting your Teochew news in canton and shanghai.. how many will understand what the news is about?

Do u have any idea why the AH Neh economic isnt growing as fast as the ah tiong..
it is not because they are not as intelligent, it is because they are not united in the way that they have/speak too many dialect/language...
the ah neh has over 700 languages .. how are u going to communicate when other dont have a clue what u are saying

You guys sure have very narrow views.. look at the bigger picture.

how wrong you are. you obviously haven't gone to China. In Xiamen they have daily broadcast news in Teochew and the population of teochew there easily exceeds 50 million!!! There are almost 120 million cantonese speakers in Shenzhen and HK region with news, Tv , dramas in cantonese. almost 100 million Hakka speakers in Dabu and all these regions have radio and TV broadcasts in dialects. singapore and even sabah an sarawak used to have radio news in dialects. Screw the mandarin bureaucrats who know nuts. everyone knows that DengXP and LKY got along well because of their hakka roots. so for lee teng hui and LKY amd DXP. Dialects are actually a language by itself with a culture unique to each region. they are practised by millions . imagined a population sized of France or germany speaking cantonese or hakka or teochew, only stupid mao tse tung tied to abolish it but failed like his crap cultural revolution and now people are screwing this low class hunan farmer for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJAql6KbYmg

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Listen to the 'standard Mandarin' used by the late Deng Xiaoping.

[video=youtube;0RQwR7F_EPw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RQwR7F_EPw[/video]

But you are right; that's not the point. The point is that language is not just an instrument of communication. It is also an act of identity that tells others about your culture, your preferences and what you are comfortable with. By denying people that identity, it is in fact uprooting people from that culture.

Also, I've stated quite clearly (perhaps not enough to you) that using Mandarin as a medium of instruction and channel of communications is fine. What needn't have happened, but did with a fanatical zeal, was the eradication of all other Chinese languages from entertainment. This did not happen just on PIMP (Pap Installed Media & Press) channels but also forced upon cinemas. Even non Mandarin Chinese VHS and DVDs were hard to come by.

But I think you are more keen to 'win' the argument by having the last say. Go ahead. I think I've advocated my case well. You can go on believing what you do.

u dont get my point.. the leader dont use dialact to communicate on national TV, they use Standard Mandarin.

try broadcasting your Teochew news in canton and shanghai.. how many will understand what the news is about?

Do u have any idea why the AH Neh economic isnt growing as fast as the ah tiong..
it is not because they are not as intelligent, it is because they are not united in the way that they have/speak too many dialect/language...
the ah neh has over 700 languages .. how are u going to communicate when other dont have a clue what u are saying

You guys sure have very narrow views.. look at the bigger picture.

Manager

Don't mess with me
Generous Asset
is your root in singapore or ah tiong land?

Cannot argue with a Qin shi wang, burning the books is OK!

i am not here to win any debate, and u certainly didnt not advocated yourself well.
far from being well, you actually fare badly..

as for your point on " eradication of all other Chinese languages from entertainment.
How is it that my girlfriend still get to watch her hong kong and taiwan drama in cantonese and hokkien on SCV?

and if u look at things purely on the business point of view...
will the cinemas attract more viewers if they screen a show in dialect or in mandarin?

the eradication of all other Chinese languages from entertainment. This did not happen just on PIMP (Pap Installed Media & Press) channels but also forced upon cinemas. Even non Mandarin Chinese VHS and DVDs were hard to come by.

But I think you are more keen to 'win' the argument by having the last say. Go ahead. I think I've advocated my case well. You can go on believing what you do.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
read a government language survey dated years ago. 55% of Chinese kids below age 10 spoke English at home, 40% spoke Mandarin, and 5% dialects. even Mandarin's usage is declining sharply among the young generation in the last 10/15 years, a result of the PAP government's fucked-up Bilingual policy.

Hullo!
Why didnt't they survey malay and indian homes too. or is it because this island does not consider minorities as citizens?

numero uno

Alfrescian
Loyal
Listen to the 'standard Mandarin' used by the late Deng Xiaoping.

[video=youtube;0RQwR7F_EPw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RQwR7F_EPw[/video]

But you are right; that's not the point. The point is that language is not just an instrument of communication. It is also an act of identity that tells others about your culture, your preferences and what you are comfortable with. By denying people that identity, it is in fact uprooting people from that culture.

Also, I've stated quite clearly (perhaps not enough to you) that using Mandarin as a medium of instruction and channel of communications is fine. What needn't have happened, but did with a fanatical zeal, was the eradication of all other Chinese languages from entertainment. This did not happen just on PIMP (Pap Installed Media & Press) channels but also forced upon cinemas. Even non Mandarin Chinese VHS and DVDs were hard to come by.

I agree with you. obviously Manager does not know the difference between dialects and mandarin, communication and culture. Does he know that you can effectively conduct business transaction and even legal documents all in teochew in Xiamen. likewise for cantonese in HK. in fact the characters are more meaningful and complex. only that stupid peasant mao tsetung simplify the mandarin characters and hanyu pinyin t try to unify and now alot of mainland china people especially the youngsters are behaving like barbarians liked shitting in public because they have no culture at all.
a good example of effectiveness of mandarin vs dialects : try scolding someone KNNNCCB in hokkien and then in manadrin. For one you an angry look. for the other you get laughed at.

Manager

Don't mess with me
Generous Asset
oh yeah.u know better..
people in Xiamen speaks teochew instead of hokkien..:biggrin: :rolleyes:

. Does he know that you can effectively conduct business transaction and even legal documents all in teochew in Xiamen. likewise for cantonese in HK. in fact the characters are more meaningful and complex. .

Last edited:

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
we cannot talk to a YELLOW BANANA who thinks he's angmo and forgets his roots. it's like singing to a lembu.

sirus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
is your root in singapore or ah tiong land?

i am not here to win any debate, and u certainly didnt not advocated yourself well.
far from being well, you actually fare badly..

as for your point on " eradication of all other Chinese languages from entertainment.
How is it that my girlfriend still get to watch her hong kong and taiwan drama in cantonese and hokkien on SCV?

and if u look at things purely on the business point of view...
will the cinemas attract more viewers if they screen a show in dialect or in mandarin?

It doesn't matter where my roots are, can't argue with you, you lack understanding of philosophy and ideas.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
you are "Cor-let".. Engrish is my dialect. :biggrin:

but to the authentic engrish, u r a chink to them. worst, a chink who doesn't know how to speak his own dialect. funny hor? chinese doesn't know to speak his own dialect and yet how lian about speaking engrish to the angmos.

Manager

Don't mess with me
Generous Asset
it doesnt bother me at all.. i am just a nick :biggrin:

but to the authentic engrish, u r a chink to them. worst, a chink who doesn't know how to speak his own dialect. funny hor? chinese doesn't know to speak his own dialect and yet how lian about speaking engrish to the angmos.