• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Alex Au: PAP mis-AIMed, faces blowback, Parts 1-4

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For the record. No amount of political oppression in the form of legal intimidation can erase a piece of information once it's launched in cyberspace.

PAP mis-AIMed, faces blowback, Part 1

<small class="entry-meta" style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-size: 1em; line-height: 1.5em; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); display: block; ">Published <abbr class="published" title="2012-12-21T00:57:02+0000" style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-size: 0.9em; letter-spacing: 0.07em; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; ">21 December 2012</abbr> politics and government 160 Comments
</small>

pic_201212_08.gif
I am a little surprised the story about town council computer and financial systems is not getting as much traction as I think it deserves. Perhaps with the Michael Palmer affair, workers going on strike and climbing cranes, and now a school principal being investigated for corruption, it just got buried by more attention-grabbing news.

However, my sense is that this has the potential to be a big story, causing enormous damage to the People’s Action Party (PAP). Possibly too, the Workers’ Party knows more than they are revealing.

From what has been disclosed so far, it shows the PAP to be a party that is determined to leave a trail of destruction, crippling the state if need be — to hell with the citizens! — should it be forced to leave power. It is contrary to the spirit of democracy and any shred of good governance.

It began with the government trying to be too smart for its own good. The Ministry of National Development said, in its latest Town Council Management Review, that Aljunied-Hougang Town Council (AHTC) got a red score — the worst band — over its management of arrears of service and conservancy charges. Its score for corporate governance was shown in the review as “pending”, with the explanation that “Aljunied-Hougang TC has yet to submit their auditor’s Management Letter, which is material to the banding of the corporate governance indicator”. Everyone knew what the message was: that the Workers’ Party, which runs AHTC, is incompetent. Many in the PAP must have been gleeful for the chance to take this potshot at the Workers’ Party.

On 14 December 2012, Sylvia Lim, chair of AHTC — she is also chair of the Workers’ Party — issued a statement that attributed difficulties faced by ATHC to the sudden withdrawal of the provider of computer and financial systems just after the party took over the running of the town council. She said:

After the [general election] in May 2011, the Town Council was served with a notice that the Town Council’s Computer and Financial Systems will be terminated with effect from 1 August 2011 due to material changes to the membership of the Town Council. This Computer and Financial Systems had been developed jointly by the 14 PAP Town Councils over a period of more than 15 months but was in January 2011 sold to and leased back from M/s Action Information Management Pte Ltd, a company which was dormant. This effectively meant that ATHC had to develop its own equivalent systems, in particular a Financial System, within a 2 months’ timeframe.
http://www.ahtc.org.sg/ahtc/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/TCMR-Media-Release.pdf

A few days later Action Information Management (AIM) tried to defend itself by saying that it would have continued to extend the lease of the systems to the town council if WP had asked for it.

But yesterday, AIM’s chairman S. Chandra Das said in a letter to The Straits Times: “If AHTC had asked for a longer extension, AIM would have similarly agreed. However, after the second extension, AHTC did not ask for further extension.”

The first extension was until Aug 31 and the next, until Sept 9, added Mr Chandra Das.
Last night, Ms Lim said the first extension was achieved through an intermediary, who said the extra month had to be “fought for”.

She said: “We were certainly not given to understand that there could be any extension after this.”
– Straits Times, 18 Dec 2012, WP, computer firm argue over lease

The name Chandra Das would ring a bell: he was a former PAP member of parliament. In fact, it was soon revealed that AIM”s three directors were all former PAP MPs: Chandra Das, Chew Heng Ching and Lau Ping Sum.

Then — I think it was TR Emeritus which broke the story — it was revealed that AIM had a paid-up capital of only $2. Chandra Das and Lau each owned one share (of $1). The company’s registered office (at 36 Robinson Road #17-01, City House, Singapore 068877) was also a shell office.

As Sylvia Lim pointed out, the questions have to be: Why did the PAP Town Councils relinquish ownership of the computer and financial system, and how much did they sell it to AIM for? It was probably developed with taxpayer money by the 14 town councils, with much input and support from tax-payer-paid town council staff, unless — and it is hard to believe — the PAP paid for the development of the system.

What is even more curious is that the service agreement with AIM allows AIM to terminate the contract with only one month’s notice should there be a material change to the composition of the town council. As Sylvia Lim asked: “How is it in the public interest to have such a thing?” (ibid).

The carcass smells even worse than a week’s garbage lying in the hot sun.

Any half-lucid observer will see it for what it is: an attempt by the PAP to plant booby-traps to snare opposition parties when they win a constituency and take over the town council. But they have done this in ways that raise troubling questions about the possibility of breach of trust.

• What price was it sold to AIM for? How was that price arrived at?
  • Was there competitive tendering?
  • In discharging their duty as town councillors, how is acting for partisan advantage in the best interest of the residents of the constituency? Shouldn’t they be acting to ensure the continuation of the town council systems?
If a financial controller of a company created some mechanism that ensured that, upon his departure from the company, the financial system of the company would break down, would he not be prosecuted for criminal breach of trust?

If, as they claim, our Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau and Attorney-General’s Chambers are independent institutions, we should expect them to mount an investigation immediately.

Aljunied was a PAP ward before May 2011. I assume it was among the 14 PAP Town Councils that participated and paid for the development of the system. If so, there should be information in its accounts indicating how much its share of costs was. There should also be records in its minutes of meetings from before and around January 2011 pertaining to the sale of the system to AIM. Surely, PAP-run Aljunied would have been consulted and its agreement sought.

This is why I think the Workers’ Party may know more than it is currently prepared to reveal.

On the other hand, maybe the records were deleted before the handover. But if so, the question becomes: Wouldn’t such tampering of accounts and minutes of meetings be illegal?

The PAP likes to cast itself as a party of scrupulous integrity. On this matter, they have a lot to answer for, or they’ll be seen as the opposite: foul and dirty. This is not a case which it can dismiss as the mistake of one lone PAP person; the moves they made involved nearly all PAP MPs in the town councils across the board.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<small class="entry-meta" style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-size: 1em; line-height: 1.5em; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); display: block; "><small class="entry-meta" style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-size: 1em; line-height: 1.5em; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); display: block; "></small></small>PAP mis-AIMed, faces blowback, Part 2<small class="entry-meta" style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-size: 1em; line-height: 1.5em; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); display: block; "><small class="entry-meta" style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-size: 1em; line-height: 1.5em; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); display: block; "></small></small><small class="entry-meta" style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-size: 1em; line-height: 1.5em; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); display: block; "><small class="entry-meta" style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-size: 1em; line-height: 1.5em; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); display: block; ">
Published <abbr class="published" title="2012-12-29T14:31:37+0000" style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-size: 0.9em; letter-spacing: 0.07em; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; ">29 December 2012</abbr> politics and government 63 Comments
</small>

pic_201212_181.jpg
I am glad my instincts count for something. When I wrote in Part 1that “the story about town council computer and financial systems is not getting as much traction as I think it deserves”, I had only a vague feeling that a possible scandal lies there. But after seeing the obfuscatory statements by Teo Ho Pin, I became even more concerned.
There are plenty of questions; even more now after his statement and after I looked at a few town council financial reports. But I have to be realistic. Getting full disclosure from this government is going to be like pulling teeth. We may not succeed, but I hope it causes them excruciating pain, so they learn never to take citizens for fools again.

What we know

First, let’s take stock of what we know at this point, because I am beginning to see some people plant contradictory and unfounded claims in order to confuse the public.

From Teo Ho Pin and Chandra Das, director of AIM, as reported in Straits Times 25 December 2012 and Today online 24 Dec 2012:

1. The 14 PAP town councils had jointly developed a computer and financial system prior to the end of 2010, with the aid of National Computer Systems Pte Ltd — which a check with their website indicates is a subsidiary of Singtel.

2. The 14 town councils decided to sell the software in 2010; a tender was called. Five parties took up tender forms but only Action Information Management Pte Ltd (AIM) submitted a bid.

3. AIM is fully owned by the People’s Action Party (PAP). The two shareholders must be holding the shares in trust for the party.

4. “AIM offered to buy the developed application software for S$140,000″, Teo said, but didn’t disclose whether $140,000 was eventually what it paid — a strange way of phrasing the statement.

5. AIM’s successful bid was to “manage the system for a monthly fee of S$785 per town council, for an initial term ending 31 October 2011″ (ibid). However, Teo was silent on what the monthly fee was after 31 October 2011 — again a very strange omission.

6. After getting the deal, “AIM engaged NCS to further maintain and develop the system” (Straits Times, 25 Dec 2012).
We also know from Sylvia Lim, chair of Aljunied-Hougang Town Council (AHTC), that:

7. AIM issued a termination letter to AHTC effective 1 August 2011, citing the clause in the contract about “material change” in the composition of the town council. We know this from AHTC’s statement of 28 Dec 2012: “AIM had issued notice of termination of the systems, effective 1 Aug 2011. The new management at AHTC had requested an additional month, from 1 to 31 Aug 2011.”

Teo Ho Pin confirmed that it was AIM which decided to terminate. In his media statement 26 Dec 2012 (but published by Straits Times 25 December) he wrote: “After GE2011, the software contract with AIM remained in place for the PAP TCs. However, AIM decided to end the contract with the Aljunied-Hougang Town Council (AHTC).” Chandra Das, in his statement to the media did not deny that it was AIM which initiated the formal termination, though he made as much as he could about AIM being very helpful with extensions of time.

[Addendum 4 Jan 2013: The link to the media statement by Teo Ho Pin is dead. As you can see for yourself, it originally linked to the PAP website, where the statement was put up. Inexplicably, PAP has taken it down. I didn't keep a copy of it, but I have the Straits Times press reports of 25 December 2012, from where you'll see much of the same substance as Teo's and Chandra Das' press statements.]

The critical question

Sylvia Lim, in AHTC’s statement of 28 December, highlighted the attempt by both Teo and Chandra Das to side-step the key issue:

It is regrettable that both Dr Teo’s and Mr Das’ statements have been calculated to side-step the most critical question of how the public interest was served when the PAP-managed Town Councils, which developed the computing and financial systems at significant cost and co-owned them, sold them off to a third party which could exercise rights of termination if there was a “material change” in the composition of a Town Council. What justification was there for the Town Councils to relinquish ownership and leave the continuity of Town Council operations at the mercy of a third party? Residents all over Singapore have a right to know.

Dr Teo has now confirmed that this third party, AIM, is “fully-owned” by the PAP. In other words, the PAP-managed Town Councils saw it fit to sell away their ownership of the systems, developed with public funds, to a political party, which presumably could act in its own interests when exercising its rights to terminate the contracts. Was that the very reason why there was such a termination clause in the first place? And what arrangement, if any, is now in place at the PAP-managed Town Councils to cater for any subsequent “material change”?
– Media release by Aljuied-Hougang Town Council, 28 Dec 2012. Link.

We shall wait and see what response AHTC gets.

Nonetheless, the “critical question of how the public interest was served” by selling off the computer system to a PAP-owned company is not the only question. A quick look at a few town councils’ financial reports raise some very troubling questions too about costs.

How much is spent annually on ‘computer services’?

A glance at four town councils’ annual financial reports reveals large sums of money spent on computer services. The four town councils were chosen at random.
pic_201212_201.gif

You can see Ang Mo Kio’s 2011 report here; Jurong’s 2012 and 2011 reports here; Marine Parade’s 2012 report here and 2011 report here; and Tanjong Pagar’s 2012 report here. As at the time of writing, Ang Mo Kio has not put its 2012 annual report up on its website. Tanjong Pagar only has its latest annual report on its website, not earlier ones.

I also looked for annual reports of the previous PAP-run Aljunied Town Council, but couldn’t find them. It seems to me that the current AHTC is a separate entity from the PAP’s Aljunied Town Council, whose website has been taken down. But its take-down also means its historical information has been removed from public eyes. Is this good accountability?

The most striking thing about the figures in the above table is how they appear to contradict claims that the computer system was sold to AIM in January 2011, who then charged merely $785 per month per town council for its use, at least up till 31 October 2011. This rate translates to an annual fee of $9,420. Yet, each of the town councils continued to spend over $300,000 in FY 2012 (ending 31 March 2012) on computer services.

This cries out for explanation — but I’ll share with you what I think the explanation is, below.

The annual reports also indicate what each town council projects as its commitments to lease payments in the 12 months ahead.
pic_201212_21.gif

As you can see, there is considerable variation from one town council to another, but Tanjong Pagar continues to project that in the 12 months from April 2012 to March 2013, it expects to spend $380,196 on ‘rental of computer hardware and software’. This seems to conflict with Teo Ho Pin’s 24 Dec 2012 statement in which he reportedly said that “all computer hardware belong to the respective TCs” (Today online, 24 Dec 2012).

Here’s the relevant fragment from Tanjong Pagar’s Annual Report for the year ending 31 March 2012:

pic_201212_22.gif

Marine Parade’s annual report is silent on lease commitments for computers/software, while Jurong, after deducting its probable office lease commitment, seems to be projecting about $43,000 for computers/software.
Ang Mo Kio has not yet published its annual report for year ending 31 March 2012, but its 2011 report contains yet another strange statement. At the bottom of page 29, under the subheading ‘other commitments’, it reports that the town council has a maintenance contract with NCS all the way to 31 October 2011.

(click to enlarge)

What’s strange about it? Teo Ho Pin said that AIM, which had bought the system early 2011, was charging each town council $785 a month until 31 October 2011, and that “AIM engaged NCS to further maintain and develop the system”. So why is Ang Mo Kio town council still paying NCS?

So here again are numbers that demand accountability.

Managing is not the same as maintaining

Why are the town councils continuing to pay so much for computer services even after AIM has bought the system and is supposed to be responsible for it? A close look at Teo’s 24 December statement gives a clue. He said that AIM’s role was to ‘manage’ the system. I believe that word was carefully chosen to distinguish it from ‘maintaining’ the system.

Of course, a cascade of questions will follow. How many IT professionals does AIM have on its payroll with the expertise to ‘manage’ the system? How much does its payroll expenditure come to?

Also, why is it that the town councils suddenly needed a third party to ‘manage’ the system when previous years they managed it on their own? Why should town councils pay extra now?

pic_201212_25.gif

If I am hitting close to target, Teo can’t be having an easy time crafting replies.
And yet, there’s more. . .

‘785’ is a magic number

The high expenditures on computer services we saw in four town councils’ financial reports got me thinking about the ‘cheap’ $785 a month that AIM is charging them after the take-over. And then I saw it!

$785 per month x 12 months + 7% GST = $10,000 (approximately)
$10,000 per year per town council x 14 town councils = $140,000.

It looks like the scheme was for AIM to pay the town councils $140,000 to purchase the system, and then to recover $140,000 in ‘management fees’ over 12 months. This in turn leads me to suspect that in reply to my question (above) regarding how much AIM is charging the town councils after 31 October 2011, the answer is ‘Zero’. Which may explain why Teo’s press statement was so oddly phrased, talking about 2011 fees and saying nothing about current fees.

If he admits that the current monthly management fee is zero, it will summon an even bigger question: What management does AIM actually perform for zero dollars? Which in turn will only put the spotlight even more brightly on WHY the computer system was sold to AIM?

And if the sale consideration and the management fee cancel each other out, does it not mean that the asset was handed over to AIM for nothing?

But I am jumping ahead of the known facts (at least known so far) and speculating. Let’s wait for Teo to reply.

pic_201212_24.gif

The tender exercise

Teo said five parties collected tender forms but only AIM submitted a bid. Other commentators have called on him to disclose the tender terms, how long the tender exercise was open and who the other four parties were. I second those calls.

What I find remarkable is how convenient it was that a PAP-owned company was the only bidder. I mean, as is becoming obvious by now, the intention of the entire exercise seems to be to put the computer system in the partisan hands of a PAP-owned company, complete with a guillotine clause to disadvantage any non-PAP town council. But what if a non-PAP company (such as NCS themselves) had put in a better bid than AIM? It would then defeat the apparent point of the exercise.
So: How did they manage to avoid that inconvenient outcome? Were the other four companies somehow dissuaded from putting in their bids? What informal communication took place with them? Is there a case to say the tender exercise had been undermined?

All in all, there are enough questions — serious ones — to warrant a deep independent investigation. The test of the PAP’s integrity is whether they will let so-called independent agencies conduct one.

</small>

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<small class="entry-meta" style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-size: 1em; line-height: 1.5em; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); display: block; "></small><small class="entry-meta" style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-size: 1em; line-height: 1.5em; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); display: block; "></small><small class="entry-meta" style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-size: 1em; line-height: 1.5em; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); display: block; "></small><small class="entry-meta" style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-size: 1em; line-height: 1.5em; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); display: block; "></small><small class="entry-meta" style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-size: 1em; line-height: 1.5em; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); display: block; "></small><small class="entry-meta" style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-size: 1em; line-height: 1.5em; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); display: block; ">PAP mis-AIMed, faces blowback, Part 3</small><small class="entry-meta" style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-size: 1em; line-height: 1.5em; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); display: block; ">
</small>
<small class="entry-meta" style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-size: 1em; line-height: 1.5em; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); display: block; "></small><small class="entry-meta" style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-size: 1em; line-height: 1.5em; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); display: block; "></small><small class="entry-meta" style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-size: 1em; line-height: 1.5em; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); display: block; ">
Published <abbr class="published" title="2012-12-30T16:44:17+0000" style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-size: 0.9em; letter-spacing: 0.07em; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; ">30 December 2012</abbr> politics and government 101 Comments
</small>

The above tender notice appeared in the Straits Times on 30 June 2010. (Thanks to a reader who did the sleuthing, who, I believe, would prefer to remain anonymous). You can click on it for a bigger version, but for your convenience, here is the text:

The Town Councils for the towns of : Aljunied, East Coast, Hong Kah, Jalan Besar, Jurong, Marine Parade, Sembawang, Tampines, Tanjong Pagar, West Coast, Ang Mo Kio-Yio Chu Kang, Bishan-Toa Payoh, Holland-Bukit Panjang, Pasir Ris-Punggol

TENDER NOTICE

Project: Contract for the purchase of the developed application software

Eligibility and Financial Grade: Experienced and reputable Company with relevant track record

Closing Date: 14 Jul 2010

The Town Councils reserve their rights not to accept the lowest or any tender without assigning any reason thereof.

No contract shall be awarded to a contractor if the contractor or any of its directors and/or employees have been debarred by the Town Councils and/or Statuary Boards and/or Government Bodies from participating in the same or all types of contracts. Any contractors who are currently disbarred shall not be eligible to participate in this tender.

Tender Documents of $214/- per set (inclusive of GST), can be obtained from: East Coast Town Council. Blk 206 Bedok North St 1 #01-353 Singapore 460206.

The payment shall be made by crossed cheque payable to “East Coast Town Council”.

I cannot understand how a $2 company that AIM Pte Ltd is, which doesn’t even have a corporate website, meets the tender requirement of an “Experienced and reputable Company with relevant track record”.

Next, I wanted to take a look at the accounts of East Coast Town Council to see if there are any traces of the money flow. Getting to the accounts was an adventure!

When I got to http://www.ectc.org.sg/annualreport.html, I saw this page. Immediately, it struck me that the Financial Report for 2010/2011 (which would be the period I am interested in) was missing!

By chance, I scrolled around and found that by clicking the 2009/2010 link, I could pull up the 2010/2011 report
They couldn’t even get their hyperlink labels right.

Anyway, I couldn’t see — albeit that it was only a quick look — any notes in the accounts that referred to the sale of the software, except a brief mention in Note 24 that the Town Council was committed to making payments for operating lease of office premises and computer services within a term of more than one year and “the current rent payable on the leases range from $785 to $17,654 per month.” The ‘$785′ figure ties in with what Teo Ho Pin said AIM was charging each town council up till 31 October 2011.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PAP mis-AIMed, faces blowback, part 4

<small class="entry-meta" style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-size: 1em; line-height: 1.5em; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); display: block; ">Published <abbr class="published" title="2013-01-03T18:21:23+0000" style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-size: 0.9em; letter-spacing: 0.07em; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; ">3 January 2013</abbr> politics and government 74 Comments
</small>

pic_201301_04.jpg

Teo Ho Pin’s latest public statement regarding the sale of the town council computer system to Action Information Management Pte Ltd (AIM) is far from convincing. If anything, it lends even more weight to suspicions that it was improperly decided and executed.

His statement was posted on Facebook 2 January 2013 (link), and here. It’s been picked apart (I think by Molly Meek) line by line here. I agree with the comments there and there’s no need for me to repeat them. See also thecommentary by Harish Pillay.
The statement provides considerably more detail than have been disclosed so far. At least it produces the benefit of focussing the issue down to five key areas:

The decision to sell

Teo’s explanation about the decision to sell is wholly unconvincing. For seven years, the 14 People’s Action Party-run town councils had dealt directly with National Computer Systems Pte Ltd (NCS), including through the most complex phase — developing the software in the early years. All of a sudden, when the software had become mature through use, a decision was made to sell it simply because they needed to negotiate an extension beyond 2011 with NCS. There are many ways a group of users can liaise efficiently with a vendor through a point person or team; selling the software is not the most compelling.

I am not convinced that we have heard the real reason why Teo and the town councils chose this route.

Moreover, when Teo offered “Having each of the 14 individual TCs hold the Intellectual Property (IP) rights to the software was cumbersome and inefficient” as a reason, it is almost laughable. Here is software that is becoming obsolete, that the town councils were nearly sure they’d have to replace completely, and they’re concerned about who should hold the rights to the corpse? Offering such a lame excuse only adds to suspicion.

The tender notice

Having made the decision to sell, how was it executed? The tender notice looks rather shoddy. Several questions have been raised by The Online Citizen, such as over the paucity of information about what the contract would be about, the two-week period when it should be three, etc. (See The curious case of the tender notice with no details). It gives the impression that there was no interest in securing wider participation.

Teo’s statement does not address these questions. Was he not aware of them even though The Online Citizen posted the article about 48 hours before Teo released his statement?

Commercial or political value?

Teo has now disclosed who the other four parties were who, besides AIM, purchased tender documents. They were NCS, CSC Technologies Services Pte Ltd, Hutcabb Consulting Pte Ltd, and NEC Asia Pte Ltd. A simple websearch will reveal that all four are reputable IT companies with an impressive list of clients. AIM does not even have a website.

Yet none of the four chose to submit a bid. It is hard to avoid the conclusion that none saw any commercial value in the deal.

Town councils made a small profit from the sale, Teo said
Teo said, “AIM was willing to purchase our existing software IP for S$140,000, and lease it back at S$785 per month from November 2010 to October 2011.”[Aside: Once again, he doesn't actually say that AIM paid $140,000 for it. Why does he not say it in plain language?]S$785 per month multiplied by 12 months and multiplied by 14 town councils, means the total lease fees paid back to AIM was S$131,880. This appears to be the basis for his assertion that the town councils “expected to gain a modest amount (about S$8,000) from the disposal of IP in the existing software.”But seven paragraphs down, Teo said AIM was now charging the town councils a management fee of S$33,150 for the 18-month period November 2011 to April 2013. Several questions follow:1. Was this part of the June 2010 tender or was this negotiated separately after AIM had been awarded the tender? This is important because if it was part of the tender, the other four parties might have seen commercial value and put in bids. If it was negotiated separately without calling for a new public tender, how does it meet procurement standards?2. Add the $8,000 gain and the $33,150 fee and one sees that the town councils are paying AIM more than AIM paid for the asset. Teo might argue that AIM is providing services beyond the asset, but the town councils could have continued dealing directly with NCS and also sourced for a new system (as they did in 2003) without having to pay this sum. Teo needs to explain the rationale.3. Why did Teo not volunteer to mention this S$33,150 fee in his earlier statement of 24 December 2012? Why the half-truth then? Why only disclose it after I had asked what the fee to AIM was after October 2011?

<tbody>
</tbody>
That being the case, either AIM had special insight and could see commercial value where experienced companies could not — hard to believe, since AIM was a dormant company — or AIM could see value that was not commercial in nature. Given the fact that AIM is owned by the PAP, the inescapable conclusion is that it saw political value. The details in Teo’s statement only reinforce this feeling.

Does PAP ownership qualify or disqualify?

Despite not having any track record — the tender notice had stipulated that it should be an ‘Experienced and reputable company with relevant track record’ – Teo said AIM was considered a reputable enough company simply because it was a PAP-owned company: “we were confident that AIM, backed by the PAP, would honour its commitments.”

This is to see continents as wet and oceans as dry. Teo is saying that PAP ownership super-qualifies a company (super because it even obviates the need to demonstrate track record) when to any thinking citizen, it should disqualify it.

Despite being the sole bidder, the town councils should never have considered AIM’s offer.

Red line

The most troubling thing is that Teo sees no conflict of interest when putting state assets into partisan hands. It does not matter how it is done, whether through a tender or negotiated sale. The result is plain unacceptable. Arguing that there is nothing illegal about it — as either he or Chandra Das of AIM (and ex-PAP member of parliament) did in an earlier statement — only proves how they resist the ethical question.

There is a red line that should not be crossed. Most citizens can see that.

If the PAP thinks that putting a town council computer system in the hands of a PAP-owned company is not crossing that red line, then tomorrow, we may well wake up to discover that a ministry’s computer system, e.g. the national identity card and passport system, has been sold to the PAP. Or that the Central Provident Fund has entrusted a few billion dollars to a PAP-owned company to manage.

On a slightly happier note, Teo’s statement is notable for one thing it does not dwell on: Aljunied-Hougang Town Council’s (AHTC) switchover to a new system. Earlier, Teo and Chandra Das tried to use it as a smokescreen to avoid scrutiny of their own actions in passing the computer system to AIM.

The mainstream media played their dutiful part, reporting the matter as a “dispute” between PAP and the Workers’ Party which runs AHTC. But social media kept the focus on the sale of the software. Now, Teo’s abandonment of his earlier defensive position and his attempts to answer some of the specific questions raised online show the reach and power of new media.

So, one more time: Teo and PAP — why don’t you guys see a red line when others quite clearly do?

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you,Brother yellowA,so long as boss Sam is around,that is,thank you,Boss Sam.May god forgive all your karma sins of you promoted,amen

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Alex Au hit right on PAP

Brother Teo,some may not understand why Alex is the chosen ONE?as one 88 years old senile(hero) old man was once too.
啟示錄4:背著陽光的向日葵——同性戀族群
  地球位於娑婆世界的時候,在太極天盤的運作下,必須有正反兩種力量同時在運行著。就像時鐘的齒 輪,大齒輪向順時針轉,小齒輪向逆時針轉,這樣時鐘才能運作,宇宙的天盤也是這樣的結構;地球在宇宙中進化時,有『正轉』相對也有『反轉』,就像白天、晚 上一樣,同性戀族群就是那肩負著重任、扮演背著陽光的向日葵這種角色。
  同性戀族群的人內心很接近上帝,個性很仁慈又有藝術的天份,這樣的族群有他們的使命,他們就像龍 華樹上的樹枝,為了要讓那些葉子、花朵照到陽光,自己卻得扮演背著陽光的角色。隨著地球進入黃金世界的空間,我們即將脫離太極天盤的法則,屆時世界就會向 著同一個方向,反方向的人也會同步了,同性戀族群會把頭轉向陽光,一切會變的很好。
  他們在陽光照不到的那一面,心理、生理承受的壓力比一般人還更大,我們更要用寬容的心來看待他 們。未來的黃金世界是不分男女的大愛,同性戀族群也會提昇,他們的愛昇華成精神、心靈的層次,也會脫下他們扮演的角色,回到他們本來面目。在這個時候,每 一個背對著陽光的向日葵終於可以向著陽光,和其他花朵開的一樣燦爛、美麗了!(取自簸箕宇宙網『妲妲開示錄』)
  所有背著陽光的向日葵都能轉向陽光,讓他們生活在光亮的陽光下。設定100%的轉向成功。
http://amaminamidada.com/content/amarevelation1.html

DuYunQi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was surprised that Alex Au was served with the lawyers letter.

Surprised because in this age of cyber "freedom", and with growing numbers of university and polytechnic graduates.. the public will certainly view this action as a form of "using money to stop unwanted actions". And this is my opinion and also my view of what happened.

We all know it is not cheap to engage lawyers.. pro-bono s not a common thing in Singapore legal processes.. it exists I believe.. but not too much so. And as such, only those who have the monetary means can afford the services of reputed law firms, and "battle-hardy" lawyers.

Why do I say the money thing? Well, if one person is rich, and doesn't like the things another person does.. especially on print media or cyber.. he/she seeks out the services of law firms to serve the other party with a letter to "cease and desist" (I came up with this.. don't know if it is used or not.. but I like to use it), or face further legal action.

Now, if the other party who received the letter has money and feels that he/she has done no wrong, or feel sure that he/she will not face any other possible outcomes.. might want to go to court. And then the costs will pile up.. as it might be months before a court date is set. And the rich person who had lawyers sent the letters first may even go to the extent of asking for a lock on the bank accounts and assets of the other party, maybe for reasons that to protect "possible means of compensation for judgement".

In my eyes.. and since I am the public.. this letter from the PM is just like what I had described above.. I feel like he is using money to put down another person. Yes, Alex Au may have put up defamatory remarks and may have eluded that the PM is corrupt. But with no evidence, why bother with such postings and remarks? So free to read bloggs on the internet? Or are there SO many ppl to scour the internet, looking out for such postings to "take action"?

Chinese saying goes, "清者自清" qing(1) zhe(3) zi(4) qing(1). meaning that if you are innocent of the crime, nothing will incriminate you. Or rather, if you truly are innocent, you won't bother with talk from others.

Now, I am not implying that PM is NOT INNOCENT. Rather, I am pointing that such legal proceedings does nothing for his image, or he place as Sg's PM. So much time to bother with blogger's posts, rather than to look after the country.. it seems like a waste of time and MONEY. Unless he feels that he has so much of money that he feels no pinch to engage such legal proceedings.

Imagine if the President of USA were to do such actions.. I think the Americans will cry foul and point to the first amendment of free speech... oh wait.. do we have free speech in Singapore?? Hmm.... anyone can enlighten me on this?

Anyways.. the tactic of serving lawyers letters will do nothing to improve PM's image or likability.. and this is my very honest opinion.

DuYunQi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Brother DYQ,I am not surprised,I was waiting for the monkey or whatever animal to show its tail.as they said in Chinese,
PAP incapable of reinventing itself: Catherine Lim
Yahoo! NewsroomBy Fann Sim | Yahoo! Newsroom – Sat, Jan 14, 2012
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/pap-is-incapable-of-reinventing-itself--catherine-lim.html
C.Lim predicted it one year ago,373 days to be exact,God bless,amen

Bro Dreamers, Ms Lim has foresight and also a very intelligent woman.
As long as Singaporeans feel that they can be "hunted" down for what they said, wrote or posted online.. no honest discussion can be held between the govt and the ppl.

When ppl see a situation like this selling of computer firm.. it is not unusual to ASK questions.
We will never learn if we just keep quiet. The only stupid question is the one that was never asked.

pappies are only beginning to realize that Sinkies are slowly waking up.

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Dreamers, Ms Lim has foresight and also a very intelligent woman.
As long as Singaporeans feel that they can be "hunted" down for what they said, wrote or posted online.. no honest discussion can be held between the govt and the ppl.

When ppl see a situation like this selling of computer firm.. it is not unusual to ASK questions.
We will never learn if we just keep quiet. The only stupid question is the one that was never asked.

pappies are only beginning to realize that Sinkies are slowly waking up.
Yes,indeed,Brother DYQ,Ms Lim is misundersood by some jokers here or some with ulterior agendas,LOL,but she is a great lady,a great leader.I am toying with the idea that she is the incoming PM or brother CSM,it is a hard fight,God bless,amen

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was surprised that Alex Au was served with the lawyers letter...

Anyways.. the tactic of serving lawyers letters will do nothing to improve PM's image or likability.. and this is my very honest opinion.

All Pinky can do is to threathen and shut out the truth. We want him to come out and clarify, not threathen citizens seeking the truth.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All Pinky can do is to threathen and shut out the truth. We want him to come out and clarify, not threathen citizens seeking the truth.

Using ISA and Marxism to rein in dissent cuts no ice with the people anymore. PAP's modus operandi is to use defamation lawsuits and a compliant judiciary to silence the opposition.

@rmadill0

Alfrescian
Loyal
If Alex Au feels that the demand is too much and what he had written is in no way defaming Pinky, he can just stand firm. Don't remove the article and don't remove the comments.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
If Alex Au feels that the demand is too much and what he had written is in no way defaming Pinky, he can just stand firm. Don't remove the article and don't remove the comments.
Are you naive or dumb? How do you fight an opponent who has all the judges and AGC on his side?

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If sinkapore has an independent judiciary, a defamation suit based on these articles would have been tossed out. If the LHL has any credibility, he would offer to file a lawsuit against Alex Au in a jurisdiction that is accepted to have an independent judiciary.

The PAP is so tarnished by the AIM saga because the perpetrators are unable to clear the air. So far, all the explanations border on incredulous to outright joke and have led to more questions which of course, will not be addressed. Any logical sinkee will come to that conclusion.

Alex backed down only because he can't afford to throw his financial life away. There is NO basis for the suit. Alex can't be held accountable for the conclusion made by readers.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The good news is that we have seen dictatorships falling in the middle east. It will happen in sinkapore eventually.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The good news is that we have seen dictatorships falling in the middle east. It will happen in sinkapore eventually.

Yeah and those countries have ended up in an even bigger mess than before the uprisings! :rolleyes:

Do you want the same thing to happen to Singapore??? :eek: Sinkie women will end up working as maids in foreign lands.