• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

about laptop

hamster_ham

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi i'm thinking of getting a laptop.
I'm used to a screen resolution of 800 x 600.

one thing i want to ask is how to know if the laptop allows
screen resolution to be set to 800 x 600.
Is it decided by the graphics card or is it fixed by the LCD screen.

Thanks

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Thanks

it is time to move to 21 century.

800x600. goodness sake.

condom_loong

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thanks

Forget about laptops. Use a stronger mobile phone for moving about and access Internet and keep / use data. Use proper cheap and powerful desktop for home & office fixed, and don't move them around.

Mobile phone can already carry 16GB/32GB of data in solid-state flash micro chips. If you are very strong user like system-administrator, use a Net-top instead of Cellphones.

Laptop sucks. Battery finish fast. Get virus every where. Very limited and compromised. Can throw away. For each dollar spent on laptop you can get at least twice as much value on proper desktop performance and quality.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
One of the key disadvantage of laptop is the limited battery life. Most laptops last 2-3 hours. But recently Acer came out with it's Timeline series which can offer up to 8 hours of runtime. Solid!

Pls consider this...

style_09.jpg

http://www.acer.com.sg/timeline/home.html

PEE_APE_PEE

Alfrescian
Loyal
One of the key disadvantage of laptop is the limited battery life. Most laptops last 2-3 hours. But recently Acer came out with it's Timeline series which can offer up to 8 hours of runtime. Solid!

Pls consider this...

No way lah, there is a science against laptop's batteries regardless of brand. They will only deplete unless you remove the batteries and never use them. It is a matter of time that ALL batteries goes down to less than 5 mins lifespan. No technology to overcome this at the moment.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
No way lah, there is a science against laptop's batteries regardless of brand. They will only deplete unless you remove the batteries and never use them. It is a matter of time that ALL batteries goes down to less than 5 mins lifespan. No technology to overcome this at the moment.

No choice, if you are mobile warrior or like to do surfing at cafes ma.

condom_loong

Alfrescian
Loyal
No choice, if you are mobile warrior or like to do surfing at cafes ma.

These days cheap handphones from China can surf web, and email from anywhere. Cost less then S$240. Got wifi GPRS etc. Later this year will have 3G also. Battery last 2 days before recharging. Can even watch TV & record TV/FM/mic/video/photo to memory cards. No contract with phone companies needed. Can view HTML JPEG MP3 MP4 WMV etc. Can open document file attachments.

4" touch screens. Wifi & Bluetooth everything have. Lighter the Apple iphone!

Carry laptop for what? Out dated already.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
These days cheap handphones from China can surf web, and email from anywhere. Cost less then S$240. Got wifi GPRS etc. Later this year will have 3G also. Battery last 2 days before recharging. Can even watch TV & record TV/FM/mic/video/photo to memory cards. No contract with phone companies needed. Can view HTML JPEG MP3 MP4 WMV etc. Can open document file attachments.

Laptop good leh. If you wanna edit say a Word or Powerpoint document, you wanna do on a 4 inches screen meh? My iPhone can do all these but it's jia lat to do all these on such a small screen.

Eurekas

Alfrescian
Loyal
I still prefer to use my laptop to do traditional computer applications like email, surfing the internet, reading and writing documents. You think those people with lao hua or astigmatism and squint into the 4 inch screen to read the tiny text? My fingers are also not so nimble to type 40 words per minute on the tiny handphone keypad as I would using the laptop, probably only 8-10 words per minute. Surely the handphone is good for simple games like sudoku, brick games or solitaire but those complicated racing games or role playing games the phone CPU cannot take it.