• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
What about Jazz fusion/new age stuff of the "Kitaro" variety?

Hmmmm never thought of Kitaro music as any genre of jazz, kekekeke for me it's more like new age and wedding dinner music. Whenever I hear the word fusion jazz then Christian McBride, Herbie Hancock, Shawn Lane comes to my mind. Yes I do like fusion. Cool jazz and the grand old daddy Dixieland jazz are two other that I like very much. One if my favourite place to listen to jazz and blues is Kingston Mines, top quality street jazz.

Anyway been thinking of mee suam for many days liao so today decided to cook it for the very first time myself. Verdict is - I surprised myself.

null_zpsb82e4b2a.jpg

null_zpsd7e4fc7b.jpg

null_zps99dd7d77.jpg

null_zps44e7eda7.jpg

null_zps0c3c8da4.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
For those of you who likes the beer house Brotzeit in Singapore lust so you know they had opened one in Bangkok 380 Thonglor. This is the largest outlet in the entire franchise. I have to say its a great place to chill out with inddor and outdoor dining. Beer same as in Singapore food I have to say I had better pork knuckles. Here you go.

http://www.brotzeit.co/index.php?option=com_outlets&view=country&fc=thailand&Itemid=415

Sausages

Schnitzel

Pork knuckle

Another angle

4 minium size beers and 3 food total cost 3,000 baht S$120

dietcoke

Alfrescian
Loyal
thats nice food, joe..

really like the way u spend ur life, good food, good place, and i assume u got a good career too...

when i come over, can u bring me around? bill we half half ok?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Sawasdee krub everyone. Funny this time my trip time difference is only 2hrs I had problem with sleep. Guess when getting older body is weaker to adjust.

thats nice food, joe..

really like the way u spend ur life, good food, good place, and i assume u got a good career too...

when i come over, can u bring me around? bill we half half ok?

Hi dietcoke, anyone who comes to Thailand meeting me is my guest. I'd already hosted a few of the people here. I have to say I work pretty hard for my business so I somehow try to compensate my pressure cooker life with some good food and entertainment.

groovy73

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi everyone.. and hope this find everyone here fine and well....

Have a quickie question for all.....

Thailand property in Chiangmai and Bangkok worth investing? Or even krabi?

please do share your thots.... kor kon mak kup na.......

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
For those of you who likes the beer house Brotzeit in Singapore lust so you know they had opened one in Bangkok 380 Thonglor. This is the largest outlet in the entire franchise. I have to say its a great place to chill out with inddor and outdoor dining. Beer same as in Singapore food

Didn't know there was one in Singapore :smile:
I've passed this place a couple of times. It's on Sukumvit 55 on the left as you drive from petchburi.
Smack in the middle of Thonglor. The black umbrellas with their logo in front.

It's been open for a while. At least the last couple of months.

They let you bring your dog there I see. That's unusual. Ang mo sai places usually do not because other customers will complain.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Didn't know there was one in Singapore :smile:
I've passed this place a couple of times. It's on Sukumvit 55 on the left as you drive from petchburi.
Smack in the middle of Thonglor. The black umbrellas with their logo in front.

It's been open for a while. At least the last couple of months.

They let you bring your dog there I see. That's unusual. Ang mo sai places usually do not because other customers will complain.

Exactly that's the one.

Yes we were sitting outside and its ok for dog there. Dogs are good magnets especially cute ones like mine. I've posted a few times dining in Paris Bangkok (fine dining restaurant) they too allow dogs, last month brought 3 dogs there for dinner, in aircon room but separated from main area by glass panels. Thailand is a pretty dog friendly area. And oh Saturday's dinner at Giusto again fine dining they also allow dogs but alfresco outside.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
More on TG plane ground mishap...and cover up.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/368730/thai-mishap-blocks-airport-runway

tgcoverup.jpg

tg2.jpg

A Thai Airways International flight from China veered off the runway as it arrived at Suvarnabhumi airport Sunday, and the airline said at least 13 people were injured in the rough landing.

Authorities at the airport said they could not clear the accident, and flight delays were likely Monday.

After the accident and evacuation of passengers by slide, the airline moved in maintenance crews who immediately began work to cover up the national flag and Thai Airways International logos on the aircraft. By daylight, the plane was supposedly anonymous. (Photos by Panumas Sanguanwong, Somchai Poomlard)

The Bangkok-bound flight, TG679, left Guangzhou at 9.25pm (local time) and was scheduled to arrive at Suvarnabhumi airport at 11.20pm, Thailand time.

The airline statement said the nose gear of the Airbus 330-300 collapsed when it touched the runway during the landing.

According to some passenger accounts, a loud noise was heard on landing and there was a fire at the right side of the aircraft.

The plane skidded off the runway, and passengers were evacuated using slides.

According to THAI, there were 288 passengers and 14 crew members aboard the direct flight from Guangzhou.

Apparently no one was hurt during the actual accident. A total of "13 passengers received minor injuries while evacuating the aircraft," the airline's statement said.

THAI president Sorajak Kasemsuvan said the airline had not moved the aircraft from the runway, which was blocked to all aircraft as of Monday morning. There was no need to switch flights to Don Mueang airport, as Suvarnabhumi could manage the situation, Mr Sorajak said.

However, some delays are expected for both inbound and outbound flights using the airport on Monday, he said.

Baggage was still on the stranded flight, as the airline has to investigate the accident and remove the aircraft before unloading.

THAI opened a 24-hour hotline for information about the accident. The number inside Thailand is 02-545-3181. From outside the country, the number is +66-2-545-3181.

Last edited:

dietcoke

Alfrescian
Loyal

ok, let me share my thoughts...

it is better to buy (99yr-lease for HDB, buy for private prop) in singapore to invest, then to invest real estate in Thailand. Reason being, there are just too many houses and apartments in thailand. even ban-nok places are opening up (e.g my wife's place). so, best to earn money in SGD, then convert to thai, rather than earn thai baht then convert to SGD.

oh, btw, rental is considered cheap when compared to singapore. so, if u want to max ur returns, u should know where to invest in real estate.

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://farangdeath.tumblr.com/

Interesting blog

tumblr_msqsz1jUVk1s04k2bo3_r1_1280.jpg

<section class="caption group"> Stephen Morfella (or Steven Morfiella/Moorefella/Morse?)
29 August 2013
Two young men who allegedly killed 70 year old American man Stephen Morfella/Moorefella while robbing his Pattaya home were arrested at an internet cafe in Pattaya on Friday 6 September 2013.
They were identified as Anucha Warnruedee, 22, Bang Lamung, Chon Buri; and Sinwit Chuichai, 19, Laem Sing, Chanthaburi.
Police said the men told them that they broke into a house at Chan Twin Resort (391/98 Soi 15, South Pattaya Road, Jomtiem, Banglamung, Pattaya) and found Stephen Moorefella, 70, asleep on his bed on Aug 29.
He was asleep and as the two men entered the 2nd floor bedroom, they saw him in the bed and used a stick to repeatedly strike him. The victim screamed for help as one of the suspects placed a pillow over his head while the other continued to beat him until he died.
They stole 8,000 baht, a mobile phone and an iPad and fled to an internet cafe.
Police took the two suspects for a crime re-enactment on Friday.
Note: maybe this is why Farang Exits has been quiet lately? Pattaya Daily News also reported: Journalists reported that police officers ordered reporters to not present the news of the arrest, as it was feared that it would cause negativity to Pattaya’s tourism.
Source: Bangkok Post - Chiang Rai Times - Pattaya One - Pattaya Daily News - Khaosod

</section>

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
slice of thai mango 10/9

If anybody's bound for (or return from) Suvarnabhum, expecty delays until tomorrow when runaway opens

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/368835/thai-crash-causes-flight-delays-at-suvarnabhumi

Passengers kpkb on handling of ground accident

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/tra...-thai-airways-international-accident-response

And great news on duties cut for luxury items is now watered down

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/loc...es-particularly-sensitive-to-import-duty-cuts

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Do not expect property prices to rise like Singapore or even Malaysia. Land in Thailand is plentiful.

For foreigners there is only one type of property you can purchase and its condominiums, even then only 49% of any project is allowed for foreigners. Landed or commercial or industrial can be purchased through company.

From my experience in cities, condominium prices will rise faster than landed as there are more demand from foreigners who come to buy and rent and also rural people working in the cities. Even then don't expect like 10% rise annually, this does not happen here.

Bangkok is undergoing a big transformation with new MRT lines underdevelopment now and with any MRT development condos tend to spring up along each line, so there is actually a small boom in condo construction in Bangkok now.

If you are buying for stay then I think it makes sense if for investments then I would say along MRT lines developments will be ok.

By the way rentals may not be high could just barely cover your loan interest however if you buy cash which you have to as foreigners then rental could offer you a small profit higher than bank interest. Example - I am currently renting a single house in a gated housing meaning it has its own clubhouse and swimming pool and security etc, 280 sqm land build-in two storeys, 200 sqm, cost me only 23,000 baht per month and that's about only S$1k. A condo unit like 60 sqm with full amenities will likely to be in the range of 16,000 to 24,000 on Ratchada road. So you see rental is really not so good an earner.

groovy73

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: slice of thai mango 10/9

Hey hey....

thanks to joetys and dietcoke for ur kind input....

note taken...... was just thinking of getting a condo in Chiangmai...... not in Bangkok cos the life too hectic there now and I expect it to be more crowded........

if seems good then will start to research and find a place there in Chiangmai..... had travelled to CM and had always like the laid back lifestyle.......

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Hey hey....

thanks to joetys and dietcoke for ur kind input....

note taken...... was just thinking of getting a condo in Chiangmai...... not in Bangkok cos the life too hectic there now and I expect it to be more crowded........

if seems good then will start to research and find a place there in Chiangmai..... had travelled to CM and had always like the laid back lifestyle.......

Good luck to you. I believe Chiangmai is a great place. I had already identified a project that I will get a house there for family holiday because there is direct flight between Singapore and Chiangmai can bypass Bangkok, yo are right Bangkok after a while nothing much to offer.

groovy73

Alfrescian
Loyal

Good luck to you. I believe Chiangmai is a great place. I had already identified a project that I will get a house there for family holiday because there is direct flight between Singapore and Chiangmai can bypass Bangkok, yo are right Bangkok after a while nothing much to offer.

Direct flight from Singapore? I only know SQ flies there direct......

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Direct flight from Singapore? I only know SQ flies there direct......
Silkair operated (code sharing SQ). Mon/wed/fri/sat/sun (tues/thurs out). Hear jungle drums Tiger start direct flights after Nov 1 (not daily though). Hopefully, Tiger doesn't end up like AAsia who did daily up to 2011

Last edited: