• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I think Singapore does not have this Nissan Almera model in 1.2Lversion

null-964.jpg

in Thailand this is considered an Eco car and first time car buyer can get rebate from government between 60,000 to 100,000 baht, here's the price

null-613.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
A car inside a game shop?:biggrin:

I just had lunch in Tesco Lotus (MK steamboat restaurant) and the second floor is the supermarket while the ground floor is partly restaurants, shops, amusement centre etc etc

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
This wine manufactured by Thai mafia? Why so Lau Lan? :oIo::biggrin:

This is a n nice easy to drink red by Chaneau Laulan in the eastern region of Bordeaux. A blend of Cab Sav, Marlot and Cab Franc the wine is dark red and with tinge of fruitiness making it strong but yet soft to the taste.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Back to Wine I Love You. Had dinner at Nathong tonight xe here now for some wine and dessert

Tonight's wine is a Rioja Grand Reserve by Marques de la Concordia, another blend of garnacha and tempranillo varieties. Midium and smooth something most will be comfortable with after a heavy meal.

null-2264.jpg

Here the dessert

null-973.jpg

null-203.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Sunday Sunday lazy Sunday. Lazy to go out and feel like eating hokkien mee so got to DIY.

null-1971.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Went to a new Chinese sharks fins restaurant for the first time tonight for dinner, its about just 4km from home. Was surprised that the food is pretty good and wanna show 3 unique dishes besides the sharks fins.

Stir fried sea cucumber with deep fried Thai basils

Close up

Its not just unique in teh Thai-Chinese mix but it taste really good

Goose web braised with noodles, this dish got to wait 30mins and its really worth the wait as all the fragrence of the braised goose web is infused int the whole pot.

Stir fried fish maw, this dish may look common however the way its cooked very dry is the first time I've encountered as normally it has a little juice in it. I really like this.

Although the price of food the charge is not cheap ($200 but with a big slice of snow fish, a plate of vege, and 2 clay pots of sharks fins) I think this is going to be our regular place to dine from now on as its no longer necessary to drive all the way to Chinatown for this.

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hey guys did you read about an american man getting chopped by a thai taxi driver with a samurai sword.

http://www.dailynews.co.th/crime/217278

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lkPygvA1NWI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xPL7jBvGt1M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another famous crime that occurred in Thailand was that of a restaurant owner that got shot due to accidentally spilling some sauce and refusing to serve more sauce.

Also remember these Iranians that got their limbs blown off due to so e bomb they wanted to set off.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
IN Bangkok when one is hungry at night and don't want to travel far there is always a roadside shop like this

[video=youtube;GcG2iL91rY0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcG2iL91rY0[/video]

On my way home tonight and its already gotten too late to eat at home so stopped over this stall about 800m from home. Wonton noodle stalls are very common everywhere and usually opens after 5pm.

What you saw in the video, everything costs 40 baht or S$1.65

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
When it rains in Bangkok, where do you think the street dogs go to?

[video=youtube;HyZnVLtzMSQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyZnVLtzMSQ[/video]

Notice a few things in the video,

- stray dogs are very well fed in Thailand
- people just go about their business not disturbing the dogs despite blocking human

Thais are very kind people I have to say, my many years here I've not seen a skinny dog before or people ill treating them.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
IN Bangkok when one is hungry at night and don't want to travel far there is always a roadside shop like this

On my way home tonight and its already gotten too late to eat at home so stopped over this stall about 800m from home. Wonton noodle stalls are very common everywhere and usually opens after 5pm.

What you saw in the video, everything costs 40 baht or S$1.65

yup there are street vendors everywhere. It's good if you want to eat something which isn't difficult to find in thailand but it clutters up the streets.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

There are 76 provinces in the Kingdom of Thailand (excluding Bangkok). These provinces are grouped into 6 regions:

• North (9 provinces) bordering Myanmar on its western side and Laos on its eastern side
  • South (14 provinces) bordering Myanmar on its northwestern side and Malaysia on its south,
  • East (7 provinces) bordering Cambodia on its east,
  • West (5 provinces) bordering Myanmar on its west,
  • Central (22 provinces)
  • North East (19 provinces) bordering Laos in most of its north and eastern side and Cambodia on its south

North East is also known as Isaan and people from there are called Isaan people. About 35% of the total population if Thailand are Isaan. Isaan is also the region where all our Thai jasmine rice comes from although it is not the biggest rice producing region. Isaan are very distinct people with their distinct language, food and culture, which is closer to Laos than Thai.

Due to it geography being very flat and with little water resource one can consider Isaan land to be very hard and thus the people relatively poor compare to the other parts of Thailand. It could also be this reason that Isaan people are known to be very tough as they have to work very hard and therefore found everywhere in Thailand working as laborers. So one finds Isaan food everywhere in Thailand. The common food we all know somtam is really an Isaan food.

Had lunch at this Isaan road side stall –

[video=youtube;9dibDC7vYLs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dibDC7vYLs[/video]

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
As mentioned, a very common Isaan dish is somtam, its basically raw unripe papaya salad and could be mix with many different stuff. The one I ordered this time is Somtam Khai Kaem (Somtam with salted eggs)

Another very popular dish is grilled chicken known as Gai Yang, the best gai yang is from a Khao Suan Kwang a town bordering Khon Kaen and Udon provinces

Larb Mu Saab (larb minced pork) is also another very typical Isaan dish its like a pork salad packed with lots of Thai herb

As for Isaan soup I think the most popular is Tom Saeb Sikong Mu, a very spicy and sour soup with pork ribs (pork rib is known as sikong mu). So Tom Saeb can be with anything like beef, chicken etc but most popular is pork rib

Isaan like to eat bugs and one of the popular dish is red ants omelet known as Khai Jeow Khai Mot Daeng (literally - chicken omelet with red ants eggs)

The spread

[video=youtube;T3ONS8VC7_c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3ONS8VC7_c[/video]

Last edited:

Jlokta

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
As mentioned, a very common Isaan dish is somtam, its basically raw unripe papaya salad and could be mix with many different stuff. The one I ordered this time is Somtam Khai Kaem (Somtam with salted eggs)

I tried looking for the other salad 四方豆? we had the other time at Thai joint, so far no luck.

Gonna try GM to see if they have it.