• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

ypres

Alfrescian
Loyal
We deserve the honour of your cherry post here (after lurking 9 months) :wink: Ypres is soon catching with you. Maybe you can share your experience?

Wah, you going regional beyond the yellow shores. OL or FL, think got diff la (latter fast track mah...) :p

No lah Pi Yinyang me still a newbie. Must learn you all.:smile:

ypres

Alfrescian
Loyal
Advice you to come more often and find recce the place first and find out if there is anything you can do here. Please be reminded for Singaporeans each visit is limited to 30 days and a total of 90 days per year so if possible get a visa (no idea under what category) and multiple entry. Come and explore first before jumping in.

Thanks brother Joetys. Yes I heard that holders of back to back visas can be denied entry even if they make visa run. Best to apply for visa. I will find out more. Koop khun mak mak na krap.

ZenRyder

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello Pi Ypres, nice to hear from you. Frankly, Chiangmai has a northern culture and language of its own. I am still learning every time when I visited that place. I am happy for you in wanting to retire in Chiangmai.

I am in my mid 40s and my fiancee is in her late 30s, so I am not just looking for an affordable retirement place but to emigrate some day to LOS. I am still in the midst of working towards my plan and hopefully I can relocate for good under the spouse visa in 2 years time.

ZenRyder

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Pi Ryder. Good to hear that. Things easier for you as your partner is Thai. I am sure you will find a happier life there. For me I am waiting to apply for retirement visa in 3 years time. We should keep in touch when you are. I will be Thai language with my partner there next year.
Hi

Anyway, I look forward to the day we can meet up and eat khao Soi in Chiangmai with a Chang beer to go along na....hehehe

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Happy to hear quite a few of you heading this way for retirement one day. I'm here for good and I am sure our friend Chon in Pattaya is the same. If there is anything we could help do let us know if not stop by for a drink or two.

panzer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks brother Joetys. Yes I heard that holders of back to back visas can be denied entry even if they make visa run. Best to apply for visa. I will find out more. Koop khun mak mak na krap.

Bro ypres

All the best in your plans too :-) I must learn from the 前辈 who venture into new lands before me :-)

Hello Pi Ypres, nice to hear from you. Frankly, Chiangmai has a northern culture and language of its own. I am still learning every time when I visited that place. I am happy for you in wanting to retire in Chiangmai.

I am in my mid 40s and my fiancee is in her late 30s, so I am not just looking for an affordable retirement place but to emigrate some day to LOS. I am still in the midst of working towards my plan and hopefully I can relocate for good under the spouse visa in 2 years time.

Bro ZenRyder

Do share your experiences in your preparation. I am planning to transit to life outside Sinkieland and Chiang Mai is in my radar. My time horizon is a bit longer and I've only been to Phuket so far as a tourist. Slowly building up my thai skills and starting to visiting LOS as a tourist over time.

Last edited:

ZenRyder

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello Bro panzer, I am staying with my partner at a residential estate known as Aumphure Sansai when I visited Chiangmai. Its a peaceful and quiet neighborhood (except for those barking dogs). This estate comprises of mostly single-storey independent houses and it costs about one million baht (est. SGD 42K).
When do you plan to visit Chiangmai?

Pi, I will share more in my next post as I'm only limited to 500 characters.

Have a nice day na.

groovy73

Alfrescian
Loyal
Reali wanna express my appreciation to all of u here contributing ur views and share with us ur stories here Living in Thailand.

Had always been to Bangkok for short trip n it never seems enuf...... Will venture to Chiang Mai in May (possibly alone or with my friends from Shanghai and Hong Kong).... had confirmed my tickets but waiting for them to finalise. Will either be there 02/5 - 06/5 or 29/4 - 03/05 ar.... And so if anyone residing there need help to bring things over, please feel free let me know ar.... Legal stuff onli hor.... dun shoot me to holland......

Living in Singapore is reali getting unbearable and even taking the trains..... its seems like I am a foreigner in my own country......

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Welcome to you groovy73

Reali wanna express my appreciation to all of u here contributing ur views and share with us ur stories here Living in Thailand.

Had always been to Bangkok for short trip n it never seems enuf...... Will venture to Chiang Mai in May (possibly alone or with my friends from Shanghai and Hong Kong).... had confirmed my tickets but waiting for them to finalise. Will either be there 02/5 - 06/5 or 29/4 - 03/05 ar.... And so if anyone residing there need help to bring things over, please feel free let me know ar.... Legal stuff onli hor.... dun shoot me to holland......

Living in Singapore is reali getting unbearable and even taking the trains..... its seems like I am a foreigner in my own country......

ZenRyder

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Bro groovy73, just to share with you that from March to May is known as the hot season in Chiangmai. Average temperature is around 35 degree and has reached 42 degree celcius occasionally during this period.

There is no sea in the North so some Thais will drive up to the mountain during the weekends. Over here, 7 out of 10 vehicles are trucks and Isuzu is their favorite brand.

ZenRyder

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh Bro groovy73,

One more thing, if you are going to 'cheong' in the night entertainment scenes in Chiangmai, try not to go alone and be careful of the girls as most of them are from Yunnan and Myanmar. I mean when you happen to bring them back to your hotel, so try to book a hotel with a room safe box ya.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Oh Bro groovy73,

One more thing, if you are going to 'cheong' in the night entertainment scenes in Chiangmai, try not to go alone and be careful of the girls as most of them are from Yunnan and Myanmar. I mean when you happen to bring them back to your hotel, so try to book a hotel with a room safe box ya.
most important use protection..........raw is war!

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
'cheong' in the night entertainment scenes in Chiangmai
Chiangmai is more laid back and not known for night scene (as with Krungthep, Phuket or Patts). Only 2 small ago-go bars in town (Spotlight and Foxy Lady) and 2 MPs (nothing like Joety's Poseidon) :p. And true, there's a fair mix of Yunnan chinese (Chiangrai) with Myanmar just across the border.

groovy73

Alfrescian
Loyal
ZenRyder, thanks so much... yeah had always prefer cooler weather but I guess no choice since I had booked my tickets there in May..... only consolations it is off peak and so will not be too packed with tourists.

Narong Wongwan, thanks for the advice and I guess me not reali into the clubbing scene unless i am with friends.... I very much prefer a very laid back type of cafe and I am a non-alcholic...... NIL by liquer, beer or even wine.... stupid allergies.... but I guess tat helps me save alot of money too ha ha ha ha.....

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm sorry but that's just typical xenophobic Thai bs as a result of an ugly class system in Thailand.

Can u desribe more of this class system in thailand?

I mean yunan girls are from china aren't they so shouldn't china girls be held in higher esteem? Myanmar is a poorer country so of course they would be looked with suspicion.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

I mean yunan girls are from china aren't they so shouldn't china girls be held in higher esteem? Myanmar is a poorer country so of course they would be looked with suspicion.

Hey nigger, why you always asking about class and race questions ah?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You can read up on sakdina to get an idea.
I've posted on the sakdina system previously and relationships with the amart in Thai society.
Let me try to dig it up.