• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I suspect it's a 'He'.

ladyboy goes back to her manly ways?

Because there are too many people eligible to do National Service in Thailand (yes NS is compulsory for all males here) they have a "Unlucky Draw System" each year around April there is a certain number of recruits needed so they will draw red ball you go black ball you don't. Those unlucky ones will have to go serve NS for 2 years. It does not matter if one is a katoey or normal they don't care.

The way to go around it for many families who's kids are "more educated" meaning who goes to higher secondary school or pre-u is they have to attend short stint of BMT during their holidays and some weekends. I don't know the details here but its something like weekend camping for certain number of days they need to clock. These will be exempted from full time NS and the unlucky draw. For those not in this scheme they have to take the unlucky draw I mentioned but can pay and no need to take the draw, its between 30k-50k. This may not be much for us sinkies but for villagers its a lot of money. If after kenna red ball still can pay yourself out but the price now starts at 100k, once paid the new recruit's name will still be in the unit he had been drafted to but he will be spending his next two years anywhere and doing anything he likes in Thailand. Many angmohs pay for their Thai boyfriends I heard. So for those who aspire to have young boyfriends here these are the prices, don't spoil market. :biggrin:

Coming back to this photo I believe I've seen it before and some Thais explained to me that this is during one of those unlucky draw event which is always held in a very public manner and this katoey very lucky kenna black ball so he/she very happy to show his/her exemption letter.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Because there are too many people eligible to do National Service in Thailand (yes NS is compulsory for all males here) they have a "Unlucky Draw System" each year around April there is a certain number of recruits needed so they will draw red ball you go black ball you don't. Those unlucky ones will have to go serve NS for 2 years. It does not matter if one is a katoey or normal they don't care.

The way to go around it for many families who's kids are "more educated" meaning who goes to higher secondary school or pre-u is they have to attend short stint of BMT during their holidays and some weekends. I don't know the details here but its something like weekend camping for certain number of days they need to clock. These will be exempted from full time NS and the unlucky draw. For those not in this scheme they have to take the unlucky draw I mentioned but can pay and no need to take the draw, its between 30k-50k. This may not be much for us sinkies but for villagers its a lot of money. If after kenna red ball still can pay yourself out but the price now starts at 100k, once paid the new recruit's name will still be in the unit he had been drafted to but he will be spending his next two years anywhere and doing anything he likes in Thailand. Many angmohs pay for their Thai boyfriends I heard. So for those who aspire to have young boyfriends here these are the prices, don't spoil market. :biggrin:

Coming back to this photo I believe I've seen it before and some Thais explained to me that this is during one of those unlucky draw event which is always held in a very public manner and this katoey very lucky kenna black ball so he/she very happy to show his/her exemption letter.
If during the year where there are a lot of volunteers, then no need to unlucky draw. Why there are people who volunteer? Various reason eg. proverty, escape from enemies, or simply 'siao on' just want to be a soldier.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Today no sale of alcholic beverage but enjoying my LEO beer cos' this joint don't sell Loso Chang beer.
Any no fish prawn also good. Still have another 2 red in my car.:p

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ah thanks for explaining this. I wasn't aware that thailand had national service. What's the purpose of them holding this? I always assumed they have a significant percentage of their population that want to sign on no need for such draws. Like south korea has north korea, isreal is understandable, singapore you know the situation. what's the situation in thailand?

For this draw they hold it for all males of that certain age all over the country? That's a lot of males to choose from. The US only held one compulsory draft during the vietnam war.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If ladyboy or gay got enlisted, it's machiam kena 4d cos' they will be spoilt for choice for fresh and young men.

So these lady boys will have to dress up as men and do manly things or only perform in arts and drama like those 302 in sg?

Why is there compulsory ns for thai men? I remember they need to become monks for 1 yr but i wasn't aware they needed to be soldiers too.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ah thanks for explaining this. I wasn't aware that thailand had national service. What's the purpose of them holding this? I always assumed they have a significant percentage of their population that want to sign on no need for such draws. Like south korea has north korea, isreal is understandable, singapore you know the situation. what's the situation in thailand?

For this draw they hold it for all males of that certain age all over the country? That's a lot of males to choose from. The US only held one compulsory draft during the vietnam war.

Thailand and PRC are about the same situation. They have NS in law and in force, but they don't need so many. All must still report for enlistment checkup but they choose to enlist some only, by brown envelopes, drawing lots, whatever, who are already more than enough for the numbers they need. The number of people ready to sign on for it as a career is already overwhelming, but they can't abolish NS because it's a powerful citizenry control tool and hard to reinstate once abolished.

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Who say got no alcohol today? Having my ramen with 2 bottles of Asahi at a ramen shop

0282d6ec.jpg

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thailand and PRC are about the same situation. They have NS in law and in force, but they don't need so many. All must still report for enlistment checkup but they choose to enlist some only, by brown envelopes, drawing lots, whatever, who are already more than enough for the numbers they need. The number of people ready to sign on for it as a career is already overwhelming, but they can't abolish NS because it's a powerful citizenry control tool and hard to reinstate once abolished.

Ah i see.

Btw i know that thai schools try to brainwash their students but in what exactly?

I have also read about how the thai education isn't really up tp scratch compared to other countries. I mean other than learning and writing thai what else do they excel in? Math? Science?

Just asking.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Have you tried out my recommendation ? Abalone over rice on hot pot ? Remember Central Plaza, the food court inside TOPS.

I've not forgotten this but has not got a chance to go that area yet. These days damn busy with many visitors, my dog, hazard, work etc.

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
This afternoon I went to recce Central Plaza @ Param Gao. It's near my place, and I'm so happy that it's a mirror site of Central World Plaza @ Pratunam.

I found a shop called Music City that sells Roland keyboards and pianos. Roland pianos are so hard to come by. I couldn't get my hands on any in ROC, but I'm surprised that Music City, a relatively new shop, has brought almost the entire range of Roland digital pianos.

This is an absolute gem, going @ B160,000:

lx-10f_angle_gal.jpg