• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A sailor and his dog found after months stranded in the Pacific

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal

A sailor and his dog found after months stranded in the Pacific​

“I have not had food, enough food, for a long time,” Tim Shaddock told Australia's 9News.
23-0717-tim-shaddock-lost-at-sea-mn-1150-6dc8bf.jpg

Australian sailor Tim Shaddock and his dog, Bella, were rescued after spending two months lost in the Pacific Ocean.Atuneros Mexicanos; Chris Minns via Facebook
July 17, 2023, 9:30 AM EDT
By Mithil Aggarwal

A stranded sailor and his dog have been rescued in the South Pacific Ocean after months at sea, rescuers told Australian media over the weekend.

The sailor, Tim Shaddock, 51, and Bella, the dog, departed from La Paz, Mexico, three months ago. A month into his journey, a storm struck his white catamaran, wiping out all electronics, according to 9News. He says he and Bella survived three months at sea eating raw fish and drinking rainwater.

They were rescued by a Mexican tuna trawler over the weekend, 9News reported.

“I have been through a very difficult ordeal at sea,” Shaddock told the channel, adding that he had fishing and other survival gear with him.

“I’m just needing rest and good food because I’ve been alone at sea a long time,” he said, adding, “I have not had food, enough food, for a long time.”

A doctor who treated Shaddock on the trawler told 9News that the sailor had “normal vital signs.”

230717-tim-shaddock-mn-1150-8adde4.jpg

Tim Shaddock after we was rescued by a Mexican fishing vessel.Atuneros mexicanos via Facebook

Shaddock and Bella were spotted last week by a helicopter accompanying a tuna trawler, which was on its way back to Mexico, according to 9News. It was unclear when Shaddock first left Mexico, and where he and Bella were rescued.

The trawler was on its way back to the west coast of Mexico, where Shaddock would receive further care, according to 9News.

Shaddock said he avoided sunburn by sheltering under his boat’s canopy, eating raw fish and drinking rainwater.

“If you get sunburn, that affects your ability to regulate your body temperature,” said Mike Tipton, a physiology professor at the extreme environment laboratory at the University of Portsmouth in the United Kingdom. He added that Shaddock could otherwise sweat up to 1 or 2 liters an hour.

“If you do absolutely nothing and you rest and you stay cool, you can get away with as less as 110 to 220 milliliters of water a day,” he said.

Not only did Shaddock have to look after himself, but also his dog, which Tipton said, helped in the pair's survival.

“He had companionship. Once you’ve got enough food and water, then I think the dog has an advantage,” Tipton said. "Your survival time is as long as you can keep collecting water, getting occasional food and doing things that help you stay positive,” he added.

Finding Shaddock was like a "needle in a haystack" in the enormous Pacific Ocean, Tipton said, especially since the helicopter was not even actively looking for him.

"It was a combination of luck and the right behavior," he added.

Source:https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/...found-3-months-sea-mexico-australia-rcna94588