• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Malaysian account on Singapore HDB

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just read this on http://www.malaysiakini.com/

The hidden ugly side of Singapore
Vijay Kumar Jul 3, 09 6:48pm

In between the glamarous buildings and shoppings complexes of this city state, there is huge suffering that the world has never seen. Something that the Singapore government or media will try to hide from the rest of the world. And this is the lives of 80 percent of 'true' Singaporeans who live in the republic's Housing Development Board (low cost) flats.

I, like many young youths, went looking for a better future in this Lion City of opportunity, After four years of working experience in Kuala Lumpur. It was my first experience outside Malaysia and I was very happy to be offered a job in Singapore with a basic salary of S$3,500.

Then, with huge hopes, I started looking for a master bedroom to rent being single. I finally got a master bedroom in Clementi for S$700 a month but only after being rejected by many other landlords for being Indian. The ensuing eight- month ordeal that I spent in this HDB flat really opened my mind to what Singapore is for those who can't earn.

It made me ask if this is the type of development that I ever wanted in my country Malaysia. This is the first time that I felt gifted to be born in Malaysia. Anyway, I lived with a family of three (husband, wife with one daughter) who rented out their master bedroom to me while they slept in the common room.

It was a three-room flat (but unlike in Malaysia, a three-room flat has only two bedrooms). I did not believe it was the master bedroom that I was staying in until I went into the other room and saw that there is no attached bathroom there. I was given a bed and a mattress and also two fans. Then I noticed that the couple with their daughter sleeping on the floor with a thin mattress in the other room. Not even a fan in that room.

Both husband and wife are born Singaporeans and were employed. It was after one month that I realised that the daughter was not going to school regularly and most of the time there would be a quarrel in the early morning between the father and daughter as there was not enough money to pay for the bus to go to school.

There were times when the daughter was very sick and father had no money to take her to see a doctor. It was a real pain in the heart to hear a small girl suffering through the thin walls of this HDB flat. It was unbelievable for me to see this happening in this ultra-modern city. It took me another two months to realise that what was happening in this flat was not an isolated case of urban poverty in Singapore.

It was every where in those HDB flats. There was a Chinese neighbour (an elderly man) and his son had no money to get a taxi to send his father to the clinic for daily diabetic wound-dressing. I soon understood that poverty in Singapore transcends racial boundaries. The whole family of my landlord got a shock that I own a car in Malaysia.

My landlord would keep pestering me every time I come back to Malaysia to bring my car over so that his whole family could go sightseeing in Singapore. In all my life, I never believed people in a developed country like Singapore would ever consider car ownership a privelege.

Three months later, one fine day, I came back home and realised that there was no electricity in the house. This time, my landlord did not have the money to pay for the utility bills. I was back in the Stone Age, using candles. This lasted for days until finally he borrowed money from somewhere and settled the bills.

My landlord as a person I have known during that period never come back drunk or looked like a gambler. He had to pay for his mother's medical expenses, that much I know. This was the time in my life when I learned what is was like to live in that poor quality HDB flat, drying clothes in the rooms and listening to what the couple talked about in the next room via the thin walls.

It was this time in life that made me to think, 'Is this what I want Malaysia to be? For those who talk great or look up to Singapore's success, have they ever come and lived in Singapore like I how I did? Have you seen a HDB flat and how it looks like?

Bring your whole family for a dinner using public transport and then rush to catch the last bus. Is this what a 10% growth rate a year is about that we want boast? Does this growth figures mean anything in the first place? Do we want to open our country to expats so that they can progress at the expense of our own Malaysians?

Do we want to 'progress' to a level that even our children can't buy a house in our own land? Last, I ask myself. Do we Malaysians look at GDP growth as the only measure to choose our government or are we much more matured than that? Achievement at whose expense?

tiuroyston46asshole

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ha ha ha....this is the second pieces of UNMO mouth pieces written to Malaysiakini to counter the oppshition bashing ........and also to show their disapproval of pape gov for asking sand in return for third bridge.

So asshole here......shiok rite.....reading it......:rolleyes:

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
Funny that recently, there has been a number of Malaysia-related people writing about their screw-up experience in Sinkapore and how fucked up it is to live in Singapore...

Are they trying to divert the attention of their people from the core probelm within? Nowadays not bashing the MIW so try something new?

coolguy

Alfrescian
Loyal
These malaysians they earn good $$ here in stinkapore, then send the $$ back home and build big nice houses and buy foreign import cars. Do they give a shit about all these overpriced pigeon holes down here? They are more than happy to rent a cubicle of the pigeon hole just to sleep for the nite, at the same time smiling at the ugly stinkaporeans bickering at each other. At the end of the day, they will just pat their backside and went back to mudland to enjoy their fruits of labour when comes old age.

prinzy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whatever it is, there is truth in what he says. Can anyone deny this? $ 200K for a 3 room flat .... imagine RM 450K is going to get in mudland .....

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
This Malaysian is right regarding the pricing of the Governmental subsidised flat. Indeed SGD200K for a 3 rooms and SGD300-400K for 5 rooms. The issue of his essay is that it is taken out of context. In the first place, he pays SGD700 to rent a room, the amount is more than enought to offset the utility bill of the household and enough to subsidise monthly expenditure. Yet the electricity was cut off? Something is seriously wrong with house owner in money management.

The author further claimed that the land lord was "surprised" that he own a car and even ask him to drive the car out so that they can go on a car ride? There is no surprise that most of the Malaysians own a car, that is because their public transport system sucks big time!

There is seriously something wrong with the article or the land lord is seriously stingy, ignorant and greedy. Most likely this guy is staying in a poor part of Singapore, like Tajong Pagar GRC.

The article hide the fact that such family system would likely to occupy 5-10% of Singapore households. However, the household in Malaysia with same or worse scenario is probably at 20% mark.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I agree with Denzuko1. I think he might be one of those who pull random bullshit out from his mouth

First off lets look at some facts

He is renting the flats at $700 a month

Both homeowner are working. So assuming at the very worse case scenario, each earns only $500 a month, I seriously can't think of anyway they can actually get lower then $500. Even working at McDs will net you more then that a month. Take away CPF, the take home for the 2 is 800.

So far the total is $1.5K.

For someone with that low income they can get help from the government.
If they apply for Workfare, they will get additional $516(258 * 2) cash a month on top of the $600+ each in cpf(I'm assuming workfare applies to individual income and not family income, someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

CPF alone should be enough to cover their home loans in the scenario above

Utility bills are very low for these types of family so utility bills should not be too great and issue. Usually shouldnt go more then $50 a month, if they find themselves lagging in paying utility bills, PUB has a pay as U use scheme which usually helps the family reduce wastage and find themselves able to manage the bills.

Conservancy fees are usually waived for them. Same goes for TV License fees.

School usually have a number of help funds for needy students so there is really no excuse for the girl not to go to school.

Oh yeah and the poor are also given food coupons/vouchers.

On top of that their flats get a free makeover once in a while. A friend of mine just got his windows and door changed and the entire house repainted by the government.

That makes a bit more then $2K every month. Its frankly speaking, not a lot but its just barely enough to get by. I think this guy is either making some of these things up or the family simply does not know where to seek help. In which case the guy who obviously is educated should be helping them seek help from the relevant authorities

kaikora

Alfrescian
Loyal
i dont see what he will get by bad mouthing HDB, i assume he is a born looser! typical umno ball licker! if malaysia got some thing better than changi, sia, psa, hdb, cpf, mas, sgx, termasik, gic, or else he should get hes head examine!

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
This just came to me after reading the article. We are in fact poorer than many malaysians and 3rd world country pple. What is wealth? Sure, we have more zeroes in our bank accounts and jobs with bigger figures on the paycheck, but we actually own less than a decent M'sian citizen. At least they have their own houses and cars, a big countryside and more leisure options.

Why do we accumulate money? To buy the things we want right? The house, the car, the leisure time? If we have $1 trillion in the bank, and get none of these basic things, the money is useless! And that's the problem here! We have bigger paychecks but actually own less when we try to translate the money to the real stuff we want!

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
i dont see what he will get by bad mouthing HDB, i assume he is a born looser! typical umno ball licker! if malaysia got some thing better than changi, sia, psa, hdb, cpf, mas, sgx, termasik, gic, or else he should get hes head examine!

I am very doubtful that it is an Umno ball licker. In fact, I have high suspicion that it is Mahathir himself trying to astroturf.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Foolhardy to draw conclusion from his personal episode (other than "feel good comparison" of what they have across the causeway). Point being, put this in right context

Diverse and diff social, macro models are in play here, so it's like proverbial comparison durians vs apples. Like, the car is a necessary mode of transport (never mind old jalopies coughing badly) over there. When you can have a humble kancil or perodua for less than ringgit 40k, you get more than 1 car in surburban garage.

And since when can he suka2 bring his car over, save for twlight hours or weekends.. unless he's paying daily premium? Most of us here do with public transport, despite warts and all. Wait till you experience public buses that run through most towns.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This just came to me after reading the article. We are in fact poorer than many malaysians and 3rd world country pple. What is wealth? Sure, we have more zeroes in our bank accounts and jobs with bigger figures on the paycheck, but we actually own less than a decent M'sian citizen. At least they have their own houses and cars, a big countryside and more leisure options.

Why do we accumulate money? To buy the things we want right? The house, the car, the leisure time? If we have $1 trillion in the bank, and get none of these basic things, the money is useless! And that's the problem here! We have bigger paychecks but actually own less when we try to translate the money to the real stuff we want!

I think it comes down to a matter of perspective. If you've notice, in most happiness polls, lesser developed nations are usually happier then more developed nations. However I disagree with you about having your own house cars or big countryside argument.

For many living in the lesser developed nations, the happiness comes from the fact that they view intangible stuff like having a good family relationship, being able to spend more time with friends and family as more important. To say that Malaysian have it better just because they own cars or landed homes is not really true. You need to look at the entire picture

First off, we always say that things is expensive compared to MY. There are a lot of problems with that argument. First off, yes in many cases, things are expensive compared to MY, usually the daily necessities. However, the argument conveniently left out the fact that pple in MY earn less then half the amount in SG. If you go to MY and look at the price of goods however, they usually are not half the price compared to the price of similar goods in SG. Which also translate to the comparative cost of living in MY is more expensive then SG if you are earning MY wages as compared to someone living in SG earning SG wages. Obviously if you are earning your wage in SGD$ everything would be insanely cheap if you live in MY compared to stuff in SG.

2ndly as mentioned earlier, not all things are cheaper in MY then in SG, Very often you will find imported or branded goods just as expensive if not more so then in SG. Again when U factor in the local wages, its going to cost twice as much for MYsian to buy something as compared to SGreans buying it here.

We all know SG is a little dot, and frankly speaking, it would be impossible to provide most of us with a landed house like in MY. Most of our houses would be built out at sea if that was the case. However are there really that many living in landed property in MY? Well, 1st off, MY has a far lower home ownership rate then in SG, which means the percentage of pple in MY actually owning that big landed houses or apartment in the middle of town is a lot lower then us. 2ndly if you are living in e.g. Kuala Lumpur and owns a house, unless U are very rich you probably live in the suburbs. If you are not rich and happen to be living within the city limits, you probably own or rent an apartment there. Unlike in SG where most of our apartments are under HDB, the apartments in MY are generally private apartments(the public ones goes to the Mat).

According to my colleagues in KL, unless U live in a very upmarket condo, the private apartments in KL is generally poorly maintained. U can forget about having someone sweep/wash the public areas daily and its common to see rats running around the place. If you happen to leave in the suburbs, you probably own/rent one of those nice houses you were talking about however, be prepared to travel upwards for an hour just to get to work in town. My MY colleagues drives on the average 1 - 2 hours to/from work due to the distance from town and poor traffic conditions in KL.

Car Ownership in MY? There's a difference between a need and a want. In SG, we have a decent enough public transport system and the fact that the country is so freaking small, there isn't a real need for cars. However in MY the public transport system is underdeveloped. It would be impossible in many case to depend on that system alone. If you have been to any major city in MY you will notice that it is next to impossible to travel to many locations without a car or cab. The sad fact is also that unless you are living in a Mat estate, even if there is a bus running through your area, chances are it will be in frequency of about 30 - 60mins.

Alternatively if we were to encourage car ownership for everyone here instead of building a decent transport system, it would be impossible to get anywhere simply because our roads would be too congested.

So back to the point brought up earlier, are MYsian generally more happy then SGreans. I find myself agreeing with this however I disagree with the fact that MYsians are happier because they own cars, landed houses or any other tangible assets.

dupersuper

Alfrescian
Loyal
For someone with that low income they can get help from the government.
If they apply for Workfare, they will get additional $516(258 * 2) cash a month on top of the $600+ each in cpf(I'm assuming workfare applies to individual income and not family income, someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

the rest i don't know. but i can tell u that workfare is a pap scam to appear that they are helping.

whole of sg only 2rm & less in 3 areas (clementi,sembawang and don't remember where) are eligible because annual value < $11k

don't want to help just say don't want to help. don't set such cock eligibility criteria to make sure no one can get it.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the rest i don't know. but i can tell u that workfare is a pap scam to appear that they are helping.

whole of sg only 2rm & less in 3 areas (clementi,sembawang and don't remember where) are eligible because annual value < $11k

don't want to help just say don't want to help. don't set such cock eligibility criteria to make sure no one can get it.

Seriously, I don't think its limit by area. I have an Uncle who lives in a 3 room flat(near Commonwealth area), and my mum's friend living in Chinatown(behind Chinatown point), both receiving Workfare. I'm fairly certain both areas are quite a bit more expensive then Clementi or Sembawang. However both are single so I, frankly speaking, do not know if married couples who are eligible will be able to get twice the amount

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Foolhardy to draw conclusion from his personal episode (other than "feel good comparison" of what they have across the causeway). Point being, put this in right context

Diverse and diff social, macro models are in play here, so it's like proverbial comparison durians vs apples. Like, the car is a necessary mode of transport (never mind old jalopies coughing badly) over there. When you can have a humble kancil or perodua for less than ringgit 40k, you get more than 1 car in surburban garage.

And since when can he suka2 bring his car over, save for twlight hours or weekends.. unless he's paying daily premium? Most of us here do with public transport, despite warts and all. Wait till you experience public buses that run through most towns.

About the car thing, firstly, Malaysian can only afford local made cars. In fact their foreign made cars are now as expensive than Singapore. I have check out the Wish over there. It costs MYR140,000 with only basic facilities. No sport rim, reverse sensor not camera.

If this guy work in Singapore, he is likely to hold an employment pass and therefore not allowed to drive Malaysia car in Singapore.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
i dun think this guy is a fake, if he puts his real name.

many singaporeans have too much pride to ask for help..

just my comments.

if the GINI index is high for SGP, there is a higher probability that such situtations might happen.

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
Reading the article, I was reminded of the PRC prostitute who reflected that most Singaporean males are lowly educated and cheat on their wives.

wahahaha. It is like a char siew rice seller who thinks that everyone eats pork.

What a crap article!

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
i dun think this guy is a fake, if he puts his real name.

many singaporeans have too much pride to ask for help..

just my comments.

if the GINI index is high for SGP, there is a higher probability that such situtations might happen.

Actually for Malaysiakini.com, you can put any name you want and they wil publish it when they like the article (it serves their cause).